Start by marking “Belly Up” as Want to Read:
Belly Up

Belly Up

When 16 year old Serendipity Rodriguez attends a house party to celebrate the end of sophomore year, she has no intention of getting drunk and hooking up with a guy she's just met, let alone getting pregnant. To make matters worse, she has no way of contacting the father and she and her mother are about to move to a new town and in with her grandmother.

It's hard enough to
Expected publication: April 30th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Belly Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Up

Candace Robinson
At first this had a Juno vibe but then it got a little more serious with things going on in today’s world. I tend to like to escape from that, and there was a lot of stuff thrown in. But I did really like Leaf!
Dahlia
Definitely on the lighter side of reproductive YA fiction, like Juno meets Gilmore Girls meets Tumblr discourse on gender/sexuality with a really sweet LI (who cooks! My Kryptonite) and very supportive friend group. (I would not be mad if the finished book had a little recipe section at the back - just putting that out there, Inkyard.) Also, a big heads-up to anyone looking for fat and/or questioning bisexual and/or biracial MCs.
Julie
BELLY UP is just...such a pure read? It's funny and snarky and there's a lot of friendship and family relationships. Devi is Jewish and ace and the most supportive, lovely friend. Sara's mom and Mormor are wonderful and hilarious together. I loved Morgan and Erin and their relationship and how kind they were. And LEAF. Oh my God Leaf is just. He's kind and caring and loves to cook and he's so respectful and he's a fat Rom boy and I love him with all my heart.

And at the center of it all is Sara.
Dill Werner
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was a beta and sensitivity reader on this book for ace, nonbinary, and genderneutral language and topics. Although I usually don't read contemporary, I was so thrilled to be a part of BELLY UP. It's a diverse and delightful story about how life doesn't end with teenage pregnancy. It's merely starting a new chapter. The voice is told from a hilarious voice that only Hillary Monahan aka Eva Darrows can give. Don't expect a "Woe me" tale. Instead, you'll find, "Whoa, what's happening to me?" as S ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was such a cutesie read full of softness and happiness and I loved every second of it!! Getting pregnant as a teen isn't the best situation but it happens and I love how this book didn't make it to be this life shattering event, especially with a great support system.

Full review coming closer to release date!
Audrey
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleys

This review is based on an ARC of Belly Up which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher (Inkyard Press).

Ahh, once again deceived by an appealing cover. This cover, it slaps you in the face that inside is a story about pregnancy, no? Well, it's not. (Okay, it is, but it's not.) Let me break down what this story is actually about.

30% food, food descriptions, "chzburgers", and oh my god shut up about food already, please? I get that our mc is pregnant but I hate when people t
Gina
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC of this book via Netgalley.

I loved this book! Everything about it was amazing! It had sweet contemporary romance without characters having to be conflicted and angry at everyone for most of the story. It had rep galore in many fashions! It read like I was having conversations with my own best friends and didn't take itself anymore serious than it needed to be.

Belly Up is the story of how a reckless night at a party goes from fun to life changing. When Serendipity, Sara, has
Tiffany
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This book at first made me nervous to read. I liked the movie Juno and I thought this book would be like it. First thing I want to talk about is the characters names in this book. They are weird. I mean Leaf and Serendipity? What the heck. I noticed that the main character loved to mention that her family was Swedish. She mentioned it only five times a chapter. I swear. Sara aka Serendipit
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a sub-genre of romance books about the MC (Main Character) being pregnant.

I'm not sure why this is. I don't read a lot of romance books. But the cover of this one got me, and it sounds like an interesting read, so I chose to go in, knowing that this was about a girl, Sara, who is 17, and gets pregnant, and keeps the baby.

And if that was all there was to it, I probably would not have like the book at all. But Sara is a smart, witty girl. The people she is attracted to are also smart an
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
Belly Up was one of those books that you can't help but to enjoy... While it's good, but takes no time annoying you in between. I enjoyed it immensely and it had me cracking up so much that I teared up.
But there were a lot of parts that just seemed to forced. Especially the Transgender parts. I get that some books talk about it to try to bring it to light and teach you about it. Belly Up seemed to just want to cram it down your throat along with race. It was forced, I can't tell you how many ti
Brittany
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
My first 5-star read of the year!

I stayed up way past my “bed time” to read Belly Up. The story was so honest, real, and raw. Let’s not forget hilarious. This book was filled with laugh out loud moments, the one liners and jokes had me going.

There is a little bit of all types of representation in Belly Up. At first, it felt like the author was just throwing in everything she could think of, like a smorgasbord of representation, with no real reason. I looked outside that, though, because it wasn’
Keirstin Smith (CloudOfThoughts)
Belly Up by Eva Darrows is a great story with insight to a teen pregnancy. From the hard parts to the easier parts, it follows one teens journey of pregnancy with a strangers baby. New school, new house, new life. So much for senior year with her bestie.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of Belly Up in exchange for an honest review.
Sadie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was SO WONDERFUL. I cried. It’s funny and sweet and every single character is a precious angel snowflake I would die for.
Book Chick (Tori)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This one is hard for me to rate. I read it in one day, so there's that. But did I actually *like* it? No, not really. It kind of had a "Juno"-ish feel to it at the beginning. But throughout the book I almost felt like I was being scolded or lectured by a 17 year old about political correctness. And about food. Now, I'm married to a Polynesian, so I know, I KNOW how important food can be. But seriously, it got old. And I have no problem with her talking about sexuality or gender, but it almost fe ...more
Chelsea
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
I wasn't expecting it, but this book actually grew on me a lot by the end. I'm really glad I stuck with it. 3 1/2 stars

This novel follows Swedish and Spanish teen Serendipity (aka Sara), after she and her mom move in with her grandmother and Sara discovers she is pregnant and has no way of contacting the father.

This story ended up being one of the most wholesome contemporary novels I've read in a while, with a lot of lovely sentiments on family, womanhood, and gender/sexuality.

It's still a bit o
Melissa at My Chaotic Ramblings
*I want to preface this review by saying I have nothing against the communities mentioned in my review. I would have just preferred the story to be closer to the blurb that pulled me in.

When I read the blurb for this book I was excited. As a former teen mom myself I was hoping to read a book that encompassed all the things I went through. But, that was not to be. Serendipity (Sara's) mom was pretty much completely ok with her daughter being pregnant and not knowing how to get in contact with the
Amanda
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I was very excited to be chosen to read and review this story from NetGalley and Inkyard Press. The title and the story reminded me of the movie, Juno. If you haven't seen that movie, you have to watch it. It takes a comedic twist on teen pregnancy.

Yes, I know what you're probably thinking, there's nothing funny about teen pregnancy. No, there isn't, but you have to admire the talent of writers for putting that spin on something that is usually so sad and depressing.

Anyway...

Sara (Serendipity) g
Soup
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviews of Belly Up regularly refer to the book as “fluffy,” which seems like a fair description. It’s an atypical take on the teenage pregnancy issue in that it refuses to engage in the idea the teenage mothers have irrevocably destroyed their lives and I think there’s value in those stories. I also appreciated that the novel played to some extent with the idea of multigenerational teen pregnancy, something that is often left out of teen pregnancy novels. Additionally, admirable was the effort ...more
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
Gosh I loved this book so much! I've been looking forward to it for a while and when I got approved for it on Netgalley I was super excited! From the very beginning I loved it! It had a wonderful, diverse cast. Also, another book with awesome ace rep! The main character is debating her sexuality, and her best friend identifies as gray ace. Also, I loved how supportive her best friend was throughout the book. I hate when friends get in fights in a book, and I'm glad she always had that support.

Al
Samantha Sophia
Lighthearted, progressive, YA reproductive fiction about a quirky smart (possibly queer) Latina girl that uses a reckless one-night stand to get over her ex. Our main protagonist, 17-year-old Serendipity Rodriguez, is worried about everything except pregnancy until it’s far too late for the morning after pill. Belly Up is a dash of Juno, a dash of Gilmore Girls, and dash of your most common Tumblr threads on race, sexuality and gender identity. It’s also an interesting take on blended families a ...more
Rebekah Gonzalez
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are so many things I love about this book. Most importantly, there are the characters. Darrows’ characters are full of personality and spunk and the dialogue between them sometimes had me snickering out loud. Bottom-line, I want all of them in my life for reals.

Teen pregnancy books often fall into the realm of “issue” fiction, but this is so much more than just a cautionary tale. Certainly the main character, Sara, has to come to terms with the repercussions of a single night of indiscreti
Library
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although there are a few books with this subject, teen pregnancy seen through the eyes of Sara, is a fresh perspective sure to take the reader along for an interesting read. Sara is 17, and because of few very poor choices finds herself in the family way, like her mother and her mother's mother before her. Sara is a smart young woman, looking forward to ivy league colleges when her life takes a turn in another direction. He decision to keep the child or not, the influence of her best friend and ...more
Carrie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of those young adult books that I think you have to be a young adult to enjoy. There was a lot of terminology and slang that was over my head. Although, I think some of the words were Swedish so it would probably be over a lot of peoples heads.

There was also a whole LGBQT aspect to the story that I wasn't expecting and seemed forced. It sort of distracted from the whole teen pregnancy storyline that would have been enough to focus on. I feel like everyone Sara met fit somewhere on t
Ann
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teen pregnancy. But Belly Up is not just about an accidental teen pregnancy but much more. Its journey through the pregnancy is very accurate, though somewhat idealistic, especially with Sara's family. But the book delves into many identities that most teens aren't aware of, such as Romini (Gypsy, please don't use that term), Redneck, Swedish, Jewish, Lesbian, Transgender, and Bisexual.

Sara/Serendipity is a 17-year-old high school senior bound for Ivy League. Until she gets accidentally pregnan
Brittany
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Netgalley gave me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review

Sara is pregnant. One wild party changes her life forever and she is faced with the dilemma of the choice of raising a baby she never thought she wanted or getting to realize her Ivy League dreams that she's worked so hard to imagine.

The secondary characters are what make this book incredible. Leaf, Devi, Mormor, Astrid, Jack...all are wonderful in their own quirky, kooky, and sentimental ways and they kept me hungry
Terri Grief
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This humorous and touching book is a perfect addition for high school libraries. Serendipity aka Sara, is a lovely girl who makes a big mistake and has unprotected sex which results in a pregnancy. As she deals with all the emotional and physical changes, she has her mom and grandmother and her best friend to depend on. The author presents a realistic portrait of all the issues that surrounds a teen when she is pregnant without being preachy or condescending. Sara is smart, funny, and determined ...more
Jenny Yergin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book exceeded my expectations, I was expecting to read a book about teen pregnancy and really found myself reading a book about a girl that happened to get pregnant. The pregnancy was a main part of the story but I still felt like Sara was the main character and focus of the story, it was done very well. The author uses a lot of teen "lingo" so it helps to be aware of the culture when you read this book. If you are not, you probably won't understand much of the diversity included in the boo ...more
MaryElizabeth
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really humorous. Sara is going to be a teen mother after one night at a party. This book goes through her journey into motherhood as a teen. She finds love, deals with typical teen drama as well as growing a human. Her family is crazy but supportive, and her friends are there for her when she really needs them.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.
Dianna
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Review will be shared via VOYA Magazine.
Louisa
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a honest, hilarious story of an accidental teenage pregnancy, the true but gross facts of being pregnant and giving birth, and yeah, a very sweet story! Loved all the relationships!
Eva Darrows is Hillary Monahan is also an international woman of mystery. Holed up in Massachusetts with three smelly basset hounds, she writes funny, creepy things for fun and profit.