Start by marking “Belly Up” as Want to Read:
Belly Up

Belly Up

There’s a first time for everything.

First time playing quarters.

First time spinning the bottle.

First totally hot consensual truck hookup with a superhot boy whose digits I forgot to get.

First time getting pregnant.

Surprised you with that one, didn’t I?

Surprised me, too. I’d planned to spend senior year with my bestie-slash-wifey, Devi Abrams, graduating at the top of my
Published April 30th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Belly Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belly Up

Candace Robinson
At first this had a Juno vibe but then it got a little more serious with things going on in today’s world. I tend to like to escape from that, and there was a lot of stuff thrown in. But I did really like Leaf!
Julie
BELLY UP is just...such a pure read? It's funny and snarky and there's a lot of friendship and family relationships. Devi is Jewish and ace and the most supportive, lovely friend. Sara's mom and Mormor are wonderful and hilarious together. I loved Morgan and Erin and their relationship and how kind they were. And LEAF. Oh my God Leaf is just. He's kind and caring and loves to cook and he's so respectful and he's a fat Rom boy and I love him with all my heart.

And at the center of it all is Sara.
Dahlia
Definitely on the lighter side of reproductive YA fiction, like Juno meets Gilmore Girls meets Tumblr discourse on gender/sexuality with a really sweet LI (who cooks! My Kryptonite) and very supportive friend group. (I would not be mad if the finished book had a little recipe section at the back - just putting that out there, Inkyard.) Also, a big heads-up to anyone looking for fat and/or questioning bisexual and/or biracial MCs.
Berit☀️✨
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
A diverse lighthearted story. A bit of a mash up of Juno and The Gilmore Girls. Sarah is smart and snarky with her future all planned out. But you know what they say about the best made plans... and getting pregnant the summer before her senior year by a stranger was not part of Sarah’s plans. Fortunately Sarah has an amazing support system around her. I do have to give major props to Sarah‘s mother and grandmother, not sure I would’ve handled the situation quite as well. I mean I’d be supporti ...more
Dill Werner
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was a beta and sensitivity reader on this book for ace, nonbinary, and genderneutral language and topics. Although I usually don't read contemporary, I was so thrilled to be a part of BELLY UP. It's a diverse and delightful story about how life doesn't end with teenage pregnancy. It's merely starting a new chapter. The voice is told from a hilarious voice that only Hillary Monahan aka Eva Darrows can give. Don't expect a "Woe me" tale. Instead, you'll find, "Whoa, what's happening to me?" as S ...more
Lost in Book Land
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got an ebook ARC of Belly Up a little while ago and I was super intrigued by this book and it turned out to be just the book for me. It went by super fast for me because I was very invested in the story and characters and being very honest I wish there was more because I could read it forever.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Serendipity is a sixteen-year-old who has been through a rough break up with her boyfriend and is now at a summer party with a friend. However, at this party, she meets a new boy, Jack. Jack
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

*I received an early copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review*

CW: Racist microaggressions, explicit pregnancy, ableist language

The minute I heard the premise of this book I knew I wanted to read it. A sixteen year old girl who finds herself pregnant after a one night stand and has to navigate the pregnancy AND a new high school? YES PLEASE!! This is unlike anything I’ve ever read in YA and a narrative that definitely needs
Audrey
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleys

This review is based on an ARC of Belly Up which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher (Inkyard Press).

Ahh, once again deceived by an appealing cover. This cover, it slaps you in the face that inside is a story about pregnancy, no? Well, it's not. (Okay, it is, but it's not.) Let me break down what this story is actually about.

30% food, food descriptions, "chzburgers", and oh my god shut up about food already, please? I get that our mc is pregnant but I hate when people t
Tiffany
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This book at first made me nervous to read. I liked the movie Juno and I thought this book would be like it. First thing I want to talk about is the characters names in this book. They are weird. I mean Leaf and Serendipity? What the heck. I noticed that the main character loved to mention that her family was Swedish. She mentioned it only five times a chapter. I swear. Sara aka Serendipit
Tiffany Rose
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone tbh
I loved Belly Up!!

I rarely if ever sit down and refuse to stop reading until a book is finished, until now. The characters are great and everyone's interaction with each other adds to their character. Nothing in this book felt like filler for Drama, it all felt like an honest story that covers sexuality, gender, biracial identities, and having a baby as a teen. Most of the tension comes from the thoughts of the character instead of setting up an Bad Guy who uses kick the dog tropes to show that
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a sub-genre of romance books about the MC (Main Character) being pregnant.

I'm not sure why this is. I don't read a lot of romance books. But the cover of this one got me, and it sounds like an interesting read, so I chose to go in, knowing that this was about a girl, Sara, who is 17, and gets pregnant, and keeps the baby.

And if that was all there was to it, I probably would not have like the book at all. But Sara is a smart, witty girl. The people she is attracted to are also smart an
Aymee
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teenaged pregnancy is a fact of life.  Like it or not, it happens, which is why I picked up this book.  Being a mother to two teen girls - one 17 and other 19 - I thought it'd be an interesting read and I wasn't wrong.

Sara is a breath of sarcastic fresh air.  Her voice is fresh and real, even in the moments when she's putting up a front because she's scared half to death.  She's also very mature, never once blaming her mistakes on anyone other than herself.  It helps that her mother was also a
Gina
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC of this book via Netgalley.

I loved this book! Everything about it was amazing! It had sweet contemporary romance without characters having to be conflicted and angry at everyone for most of the story. It had rep galore in many fashions! It read like I was having conversations with my own best friends and didn't take itself anymore serious than it needed to be.

Belly Up is the story of how a reckless night at a party goes from fun to life changing. When Serendipity, Sara, has
gingey reads
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not giving this three stars because I disliked it. It fit comfortably into that YA slot of "Difficult But Surprisingly Warm Narrative Told By Snarky Teen Narrator," which is not unenjoyable. I loved Simon and Upside and Leah, which are all prime examples of that category.

It's just, sometimes you read books that you recognize are good, but you read them at times in your life where the book kind of freaks you out. This was one of those. Pregnancy is... not always a plausible or comfortable na
Jenni Frencham
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Serendipity (Sara) has revenge sex and gets pregnant. She decides to keep the baby and has to navigate her senior year of high school at a new school while also balancing the pressure of becoming a parent.

This book is definitely a "best case scenario" pregnancy story. Sara was not raped. Her family is supportive. Her school is helpful. She hits very few bumps along the road. All of that is fantastic, albeit not very realistic. I appreciated the extremely diverse cast of characters as well as Sa
Kael
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, underrated
Thanks so much to Netgally and Harlequin TEEN for providing me with an advanced e-arc 💙

I highly enjoyed this. It’s diverse, heartwarming, and absolutely hilarious. I will definitely be picking up a finished physical copy.
Samantha (WLABB)
"My mom had given me all the talks. I'd just been reckless, played sperm roulette, and lost.

Top of her class with monster SAT scores, Sara thought she was destined for the Ivy League. However, after a rebound-one-night-stand, she found her plans needed to be altered to accommodate her new impending bundle of joy.

If you asked me what my first impression of this book was, I would immediately tell you it was funny. Sara and the other two Larsson women shared an acerbic wit, which consistently made
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
Belly Up was one of those books that you can't help but to enjoy... While it's good, but takes no time annoying you in between. I enjoyed it immensely and it had me cracking up so much that I teared up.
But there were a lot of parts that just seemed to forced. Especially the Transgender parts. I get that some books talk about it to try to bring it to light and teach you about it. Belly Up seemed to just want to cram it down your throat along with race. It was forced, I can't tell you how many ti
Brittany
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
My first 5-star read of the year!

I stayed up way past my “bed time” to read Belly Up. The story was so honest, real, and raw. Let’s not forget hilarious. This book was filled with laugh out loud moments, the one liners and jokes had me going.

There is a little bit of all types of representation in Belly Up. At first, it felt like the author was just throwing in everything she could think of, like a smorgasbord of representation, with no real reason. I looked outside that, though, because it wasn’
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Belly Up by Eva Darrows is a great story with insight to a teen pregnancy. From the hard parts to the easier parts, it follows one teens journey of pregnancy with a strangers baby. New school, new house, new life. So much for senior year with her bestie.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of Belly Up in exchange for an honest review.
Stacie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-arcs
I loved it! RTC!!
Sadie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This was SO WONDERFUL. I cried. It’s funny and sweet and every single character is a precious angel snowflake I would die for.
Book Chick (Tori)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This one is hard for me to rate. I read it in one day, so there's that. But did I actually *like* it? No, not really. It kind of had a "Juno"-ish feel to it at the beginning. But throughout the book I almost felt like I was being scolded or lectured by a 17 year old about political correctness. And about food. Now, I'm married to a Polynesian, so I know, I KNOW how important food can be. But seriously, it got old. And I have no problem with her talking about sexuality or gender, but it almost fe ...more
Lindsay Montague
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-releases, ya
This started out so good and fun, but slowly declined the more I kept reading. It was almost as if chunks of the book were either written by a different person, or not edited as closely. At the end of reading, I didn’t get exactly what the point was of the book—nothing really happened. I could tell the author had a lot of great ideas scrambled all together, but nothing was fleshed out enough to carry that whole book.

It could have been about the struggles of being pregnant in high school—or even
Sky
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Do not let my 3/5 stars rating deter you from picking this book up, I think many others will fall deeply in love with it. The places I find minor faults in, others will find joy in. This is truly a book that should be read and talked about in the community. I hope this book reaches many hands who feel underrepresented, and then in turn share it with others in the community.

I highly recommend this book to those who are desperately looking for a very diverse book, that is also trying its best to
Chelsea
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
I wasn't expecting it, but this book actually grew on me a lot by the end. I'm really glad I stuck with it. 3 1/2 stars

This novel follows Swedish and Spanish teen Serendipity (aka Sara), after she and her mom move in with her grandmother and Sara discovers she is pregnant and has no way of contacting the father.

This story ended up being one of the most wholesome contemporary novels I've read in a while, with a lot of lovely sentiments on family, womanhood, and gender/sexuality.

It's still a bit o
Melissa at My Chaotic Ramblings
*I want to preface this review by saying I have nothing against the communities mentioned in my review. I would have just preferred the story to be closer to the blurb that pulled me in.

When I read the blurb for this book I was excited. As a former teen mom myself I was hoping to read a book that encompassed all the things I went through. But, that was not to be. Serendipity (Sara's) mom was pretty much completely ok with her daughter being pregnant and not knowing how to get in contact with the
Carrie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of those young adult books that I think you have to be a young adult to enjoy. There was a lot of terminology and slang that was over my head. Although, I think some of the words were Swedish so it would probably be over a lot of peoples heads.

There was also a whole LGBQT aspect to the story that I wasn't expecting and seemed forced. It sort of distracted from the whole teen pregnancy storyline that would have been enough to focus on. I feel like everyone Sara met fit somewhere on t
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was really hoping for a great story, but there was such a focus on gender, that the actual story was lost. If it is really important, mention it once, maybe twice. This wasn't really a novel, more of a soap box for the author to state her thoughts on gender. There really just wasn't a whole lot of actual story to review.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Author: Eva Darrows
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN (US & Canada) and Inkyard Press
Publication Date:
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• If It Makes You Happy
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Us, in Progress: Short Stories About Young Latinos
  • The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1)
  • An Impossible Distance to Fall
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Last Bus to Everland
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Wild and Crooked
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Paola Santiago and the Drowned Palace
  • Crazy Dead (Cordi O'Callaghan Mystery #4)
  • The Lost Coast
  • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
  • Friday Night Chicas: Sexy Stories from La Noche
  • Omen Operation (The Isolation Series #1)
  • Our Wayward Fate
Eva Darrows is Hillary Monahan is also an international woman of mystery. Holed up in Massachusetts with three smelly basset hounds, she writes funny, creepy things for fun and profit.