Start by marking “Kith and Kin” as Want to Read:
Kith and Kin

Kith and Kin

What does it mean to have a family?

Singer and Lisa Thurman did everything right for their entire childhood. Their mother wanted a perfect life, and they knew how to fit that vision.
Then they grew up. Singer came out of the closet and Lisa joined a cult.
Singer and his partner are adopting a son. Unfortunately, all that practice being the perfect child didn't prepare Sing
Published June 20th 2017 by Brain Mill Press (first published June 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Kith and Kin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kith and Kin

K.J. Charles
Look, I read this book in a single day (a working day) and cried like a baby at the end of it, what more do you want?

This is a lovely book. Genuinely lovely, as in found-family, people being good to one another, screwing up and forgiveness and love and reaching out. Community. Things being how they ought to. People not being okay really, but being loved anyway. This stuff goes straight to my tear ducts. Excuse me, I need a hanky.

It's got a central key romance theme--gay couple Singer and Jake i
Gillian
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! I swear, Kris Ripper just gets better and better with every book ze writes. Kith and Kin is all about family, whether we be related by blood or circumstance, and how having people at your back - who accept you no matter what - is so damn important.

I don't know much about large families, having never come from one or married into one, but I want to be an honorary Derrie so fucking much. I love them all with their pushy, invasive, gossipy ways and would love to f
Kelly
One of the most absorbing books I've read this year. Briefly: the story feels both real and familiar. It's about family , found family and what's it's like to be an adult child.

(7/11/17) More complete review:

If I had to sum this book up in one word, I’d choose: real.

Kith and Kin deserves many more words. The book is a near perfect family saga. The only thing that would have made it more perfect would have been another seven hundred pages including the relationship between Singer’s parents and M
Sophie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq
I read this solely because K.J. Charles mentioned it on her blog and wow am I glad I did. What a wonderful book this was!

It's the story of a gay couple who are trying to adopt a kid and it's about them and both their families and friends. I told my coworker today I couldn't wait to continue hanging out with all these characters, and that probably best sums up my feelings. It's funny and heartwarming and genuine and just such a pleasure to read.

K.J. Charles recommended it right after also recomm
Sheryl Beesley
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story about love and chosen family.
Terri Jones
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-ones
I have never read any single book this beautifully complex. There are six mayor plots and subplots, and so much subtext on family, relationships, parenting, therapy, autonomy, kink, communication, and adoption, just to name the ones that immediately come to mind, that I took my time reading, trying not to miss anything.

Read the Author's Acknowledgments! :)

This is in the 'Scientific Method' universe, like off to one side. I think it kind of helped to have read those, but I think they aren't nece
Ash
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book about family (chosen and blood), adoption, finding yourself after you have lost yourself, learning to love yourself, and all the different ways there are to love and be loved. So good.
Farah Mendlesohn
I know others loved it, but I found it a bit one note. I also really flinched at the way the adoption was dealt with. It does work out better than the intial set up suggests, but it all felt far too Saviour for me.
Truusje
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book about family, relationships and so much more. And such a stunning cover as well.
Tina
I adored this book and stayed up far too late to finish it. Review to come.
Joy
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fiction
Too much going on, too many characters, couldn't get past the surface on a lot of it.
Sam
Sophism
Dec 15, 2018
Gwen
Mar 31, 2019
Kris Ripper lives in the great state of California and zir pronouns are ze/zir. Kris shares a converted garage with a kid, can do two pull-ups in a row, and can write backwards. (No, really.) Ze has been writing fiction since ze learned how to write, and boring zir stuffed animals with stories long before that.