Start by marking “Ice Lake (Harry Cull Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ice Lake (Harry Cull Thriller, #1)

Ice Lake

(Harry Cull #1)

…WHERE EVERYBODY LIES. AND SOME PEOPLE KILL…

An electrifying debut crime novel and the first in a new series featuring psychologist Harry Cull. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride, Mark Billingham and Peter May.

AN ABANDONED BODY
Deep in the woods of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the body of a man is found – shot three times, dumped under the trees where the local kids will find
Published July 7th 2017 by Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Ice Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Lake

Paromjit
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a entertaining beginning for this crime series debut with a strong sense of location in Pocono township's Ice Lake in Pennsylvania where the locals most frequent saying is 'that ain't no lie'. Psychologist Harry Cull runs a consultancy based on his gift for seeing the truth and his trusty lie detector equipment. He was once a cop but tragedy in the form of the abduction of his young son, still missing, which destroyed his marriage and his police career, leaving him a haunted man. He once ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The cover fooled me into believing it was a story set in the winter. But, I soon learned that I was wrong. I didn't mind it, but it's interesting how a cover can make you expect something like that.

Ice Lake starts off with a man getting shot to death by someone unknown. Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward Cirba calls his friend psychologist Harry Cull to come and help him with the case since ex-cop Cull has a knack for knowing if someone is lying. Cirba and Cull met at a conference in Las Vegas
Brenda
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thebooktrail
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooh remote Pennsylvania has a few secrets!

Visit remote Pennsylvania

ice lake

First in a series and this sets a very interesting scene!

Ice Lake: A small town with a very icy atmosphere, icy personalities and some shocking secrets. The action moves along via dialogue, bits here and there like you’re at the heart of the conversations whether that be about a suspect or a strip club. Bawdy humour and a don’t care attitude are what most people seem to have here.

Cirba and Cull have a good thing going and the r
Maggie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Harry Cull is a psychologist and works as a consultant 'truth detector' using his polygraph machine or, for the most part his ability to sniff out a lie. When Ed Cirba asks him to come to the dark woods of North-Eastern Pennsylvania to help investigate a murder he agrees. Harry finds himself falling in love with the beautiful lakeside setting and soon finds himself involved with a number of interesting characters. Was Big Bill murdered because of the property he might have been selling to a frac ...more
Nerdish Mum
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-2017
Harry Cull is an absolutely brilliant character, he is so interesting and I love the way he works and acts. I also love his interactions with other characters, in particular Trooper Cirba, their relationship and banter is so enjoyable and made me laugh with their back and forth over a previous encounter.

The Lake in Ice Lake is definitely a character in itself and I could easily picture the town, with the local "grocery" store and houses with gardens that run down to their own dock at the lake.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ice Lake is the first book in the Harry Cull series by John A Lenehan, and its a very solid start to a promising series. I flew through this one as I was gripped early on!

When the body of a man is found at a well known hang-out spot, Harry Cull gets a call to come and investigate. Cull carries out polygraph tests, and is pretty adept at picking out those who lie, but in Ice Lake is seems everyone has something to hide and Harry has his work cut out for him from the get go!

The deceased was shot,
Fictionophile
A compelling thriller with an environmental edge.
"Ice Lake" is the first novel in the series featuring Harry Cull, a personable ex-cop whose career has morphed into detecting whether a person is lying... or not. He is a consultant psychologist, and interrogation is his specialty.

Harry is contacted by Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward Cirba. A young man has been murdered on his patch and he wants Harry to help him catch the killer. So much so that he is willing to pay Harry with his own money!  T
Joanne Robertson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! This book!!!!! You know that book that you start thinking it will be okay but then you start reading and realise it’s NOTHING like you expected? And that if anyone tried to take that book out of your hands you’d probably hit them with it?! Yes it’s THAT book! The one you start off liking and end up loving so much you want to stalk the author and chain him to the desk in your office until he writes another one (no? Just me then?!).

Anyway back to psychologist Harry Cull and you won’t have me
Michelle Ryles
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
Oh my word, I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did...and that's no lie. I'm going to make a prediction right here and now - this is going to be a bestselling, long-running series. Harry Cull is one of those characters that you can't get enough of, like Michael Connelly's Bosch or Peter James' Roy Grace. You've got the story he's investigating now plus the intrigue of his past that had my brain fighting over which story I wanted to read more about. Both are winners as you couldn't p ...more
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
When I read the description of Ice Lake I was intrigued, especially as it’s the start of a new series and I love a good series.
Ice Lake opens with a murder, a local man called Bill,  liked by everyone is found dead in the woods and Trooper Edward Cirba decides to call on his old friend Harry Cull, ex police and now a psychologist, for help. Armed with his lie detector Harry sets off to Ice Lake to help Cirba try and untangle the mystery.
Harry Cull was an interesting character, having once worked
Emma
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ice Lake is author John A Lenahan’s debut crime thriller and was published by Killer Reads on 7th July.

And what a cracking crime debut! I really liked Lenahan’s lead protagonist, ex-cop turned psychologist, Harry Cull. I’ve always been interested in the study of body language and what your subconscious is revealing about you, the secrets it discloses. Those little ‘tells’ that indicate to a professional that you’re lying. And that’s exactly what Harry does. Having experienced Harry’s ‘powers’ at
Serendipity Loves
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Reviewed as part of July Blog Tour. Full review at WWw.serendipityloves.website

The thriller starts with State Trooper Eric Cirba tracking down his old pal, Harry Cull. Harry is an ex-cop turned psychologist and Eric invites Harry to join him in the Pocono Mountains in North East Pennsylvania to assist him in finding Bill's killer. Bill's body was found shot three times in a local wood. Later, a second body is found which adds to the urgency to resolve the case.

In the books early chapters, you qu
Noelle
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in Ice Lake, Pennsylvania the reader is faced with loss, greed, love, corruption, cover-ups, power & control and a web of deceit.

I was immediately hooked when the story began but did not find the pace to be particularily fast at first. Instead there was a subtle and gradual build up which actually suited this story and the narrative perfectly in my opinion. It was a cleverly devised story-line which had a whodunnit feel with a lot of great mysteries and revelations thrown in the mix, and
Cheryl M-M
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harry Cull is not only a trained polygraph examiner and psychologist, he is also a wee bit of a human lie detector. He can read his fellow humans like books. He also isn’t very subtle about telling them what he can read in their faces, voices and body language. His very direct approach often leads him into some uncomfortable and often contentious situations.

The interactions between Harry and Todd are especially funny, although Harry and Edward Cirba come a close second as a comedy duo. It is thi
Jo
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I absolutely loved this book! I had no idea of what to expect when I opened the first page of Ice Lake. Would it be a grizzly crime thriller? Would it feature a handsome and witty male protagonist? Would it be an exciting and enjoyable read that offered a completely different take on the crime genre of today? The answer to all these questions is yes, and so much more.

Harry Cull is invited to Ice Lake, situated in Northeastern Pennsylvania, by his friend , State Trooper Eric Cirba. A body was fo
Olga
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
4.5 stars.
This is an encouraging debut that has all the ingredients of a great thriller. It's well written, full of secrets, suspense and intrigue, some action, murders, drug dealers, gangsters, strippers, romance... But at the same time it's so much more - a sharp and witty portrayal of a small town life, with each character so well drawn out that I feel like I personally know them. The short detours into American history at the beginning of some chapters also added some charm to this gem of a
Jane Hunt
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is a mix of cozy mystery and thriller. Set in a small town in Pennsylvania it has delightfully quirky characters that inform the story as well as mislead the reader. Harry is a man with a tragic past and an unusual gift and makes the perfect main character. Ed his state trooper friend makes a great wing man.

The setting is well described and intrinsic to the story, there are also lots of details on environmental issues, so popular in stories today.

The plot and suspense elements are wel
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ice Lake begins with a murder and from that moment on I was hooked on what was an atmospheric, suspenseful and incredibly engaging start to the Harry Cull series. I love starting a new crime thriller series. There’s so much excitement and anticipation behind it, wondering if the author has created a character who’s going to turn this new series into a must-read. It is following the main guy and watching them develop that really appeals to me and often even if I enjoy the crime, if I don’t take t ...more
Sonya Alford
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was voluntarily sent an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

This story is set in Pennsylvania. A man is found murdered in the woods by a local kid. But what was the motive for killing him? Harry Cull a psychologist with a tragic past is called in to help with the murder investigation. Arriving at the picturesque town of Ice Lake he unravels a web of lies and deceit that leads to the dark heart of a community torn apart by fracking, drugs and murder.

A few days later another body is
AngryGreyCat
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished this on my Kindle last night, to be honest I don’t even remember when I bought it or why. Might have been recommended to me or I may have just read about it on a blog. \_(ツ)_/

I liked the detective, Harry Cull, retired from the police force due to a personal tragedy and now working as a freelance investigator mainly in the field of interrogation and lie detection. Harry gets a call from a state trooper who is investigating a murder in rural Pennsylvania and intrigued, Harry takes the cas
Alison
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
This is the first in a new series by an author I haven’t read before. Ice Lake conjures up all manner of images in mind but I don’t think many of them came to fruition. I do love the cover!

Having said that it’s a book that starts with a bang. Local man Big Bill is murdered so State Trooper Ed Cirba calls on his old buddy Harry Cull to come and work his magic in a lie detector capacity. Ex-cop turned psychologist Harry is a great character and his banter with Ed is entertaining .. strip
M
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reading Amazon Synopsis, I Expected a Dark Mystery

This police procedural was unlike the book teaser which promised a darker, more foreboding story than was delivered. No desperate killer, what dark heart of the community, the body wasn’t dumped, what web of lies and deceit, the dead lawyer wasn’t found in a forest, and the small town itself held no dark secrets.
I enjoy reading mysteries, because I like to figure out whodunnit. In this book, the author withholds crucial information, so I did gue
G.J. Minett
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have to say I really enjoyed this. Because of other commitments I was only able to read it 30 pages or so at a time but I had no difficulty in keeping the various strands of the plot in order and frequently found myself wishing I could read for longer. The novel is held together by a wise-cracking, laconic central character who acts as a witty and entertaining narrator of a complex tale concerning murder and fracking in the Poconos mountains, not a combination you get to hear about that often. I ...more
Julie Kang
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, I did not enjoy the book as much as I expected. The novel is set at a small town in Pennsylvania, where two former cops, Cairba and Harry Cull, decides to go on an investigation. The death of Big Billy stalks the news throughout there hometown and it is impossible to find out the truth. Tension rises as the cops find more clues about each character in the book and scenarios that may had happened to Billy. The novel has many personal reflections among humans and dark secrets that seems t ...more
Janet Gogerty
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the style and setting, a rural idyl where you would expect the only trouble to come from teenagers drinking or unruly customers at the strip club. We arrive as strangers with Harry and enjoy both the beauty and the food. The plot is twisted and we also gradually learn about Harry's background. Love, mystery and danger await Harry as the story speeds up to a scary climax. I look forward to reading more about Harry Cull.
Elizabeth Doerr
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery& romance, a winning combination

This mystery is one I couldn't figure out & one I didn't want to end. The description of the town and the characters of the town made you feel like you were there in that little piece of paradise. Harry is cerebral & sensitive & his friendship with Ed is every bit as engaging as his romance with MK. It only makes me wish I could read this book sipping a cup of tea & enjoying a lake view.
Neha Mahadik
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Parts I liked:
Personality Harry Cull, the in-shorts and explanation and relation between the psychology of behind lies. Of course the death scenario of Big Bill.
I guess that's the only thing I found interesting.
Parts I disliked:
How the book unraveled about the killer.
The first 200 pages were okay. However I didn't like the book towards the end.
Well this was the first book I read of John A Lenahan.
Nerys Roberts
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A man is killed on the outskirts of Ice Lake - shot three times by an unknown assailant. State Trooper Ed Cirba has called on psychologist and ex cop Harry Cull to help him with the investigation. No motive can be found for the killing and then the man's lawyer is killed in the same manner. Harry Cull is an interesting character and this story was a good start to a series. Look forward to reading more.
Logan Kreske
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ir-books
The crime thriller written by Lenahan is a suspenseful and very intriguing book. Harry Cull the main character, finds a body and is persistent in finding the killer on this small lake followed by many twists and turns. I loved every minute of reading this book and it had a way of taking me to Ice Lake for every step of the journey. Overall I really loved this book and is one of my new favorites.

• Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Blown Away
  • Every Shallow Cut
  • The Kill List (Jamie Sinclair, #1)
  • Riptide
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • The Dispatcher
  • The Innocent (Jack "Keeper" Marconi #1)
  • Hostile Witness (Victor Carl, #1)
  • Little Girl Gone (Logan Harper, #1)
  • Live to Tell (Live to Tell #1)
  • Indefensible (Kate Lange #2)
  • Head to Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1)
  • Blood Safari (Lemmer #1)
  • Remorseless (Doc Powers & D.I. Carver Investigate, #1)
  • A Field of Darkness (Madeline Dare, #1)
John Lenahan is a popular TV magician who toured with Jack Dee, Lenny Henry and Victoria Wood. He starred on a prime time BBC1 TV show, had his own BBC2 series, and was the voice of the toaster in ‘Red Dwarf’.

His fantasy trilogy Shadowmagic, an award-winning podcast that received over 100,000 downloads, was published by HarperCollins and sold over 70,000 copies across all editions.

Ice Lake is hi