Start by marking “Alien” as Want to Read:

Alien (Alien Movie Novelizations #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  14,989 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Based on the screenplay by Dan O'Bannon. The crew of the spaceship Nostromo wake from cryogenic sleep to distress signals from an unknown planet. One is attacked when they investigate a derelict alien craft. Safely on their way back to Sol, none foresee the real horror about to begin.
Published March 29th 1979 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1979)

Frank Roberts
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10 year old astrobiologists, Mormons
Greatest book in the whole frickin' universe!!! (of course, having read it over 30 years ago this won't be a highly detailed review...)

Now,I was 11 years old when Alien came out. My mom wouldn't let me see R-rated flicks at the time and most older friends & cousins were afraid of my mother so they wouldn't take me either. I couldn't fathom such a cruel existence - a Monster-Movie junkie being denied access to the latest, and possibly greatest, creature flick of all time. Torture. When some h
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Most of us know what Alien is about. If you don't, shame on you. The 1979 movie is a classic, and you should watch it.

I've known about the novelization for a few years now, so I said it was finally time to give it a try. It didn't disappoint, even if the beginning was a bit rough. Once the action starts, everything runs smoothly.

As with all novelizations, we get a lot more details and nuances. And the facehuggers are described in great detail. A bit too great if you ask me, but that's a matter o
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Alien…a classic, epic movie. Created from a screenplay, they turned around and made the movie, then made the book off the movie/screenplay – one rarely thinks of this book offspring when they hear the word “Alien.” The movie is better too, but for fans of the series, especially completionists, this spawned book is a good addition to the shelves.

I won’t go into the details of the story – what’s the point? If you don’t know the story of Alien, rent it immediately or miss out. The book stays pretty
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is the first film novelization I've ever read. The idea never appealed to me before but this was pretty damn good. It successfully captures the suspense and subtle terror of the film which I am now anxious to watch again. This Foster dude can write and I already bought his sequel, Aliens, even though I'm not a huge fan of the film version on that one. Amazon currently has it for $2 though so I figure it's worth checking out.

Recommended space horror.
Scott Rhee
I don't normally read novelizations, but when I do, I read Alan Dean Foster's novelizations. (Okay, that sounded like a beer commercial…)

Part of the reason is that Foster seems to single-handedly write ALL movie novelizations, especially those in the sci-fi/fantasy/horror genre. So, if you're going to read a novelization, more than likely, it's been written by Foster.

Ridley Scott's "Alien" is, in my opinion, one of the best horror movies ever made. It's so creepy and horrifying, it gives me goos
Sean O'Hara
If you ever want to see how much movie novelizations have changed in the last forty years, you can't go wrong with Alan Dean Foster's work. Pick up his adaptations of the most recent Star Trek movies and you'll find what is essentially just the script reformatted to prose form -- and not just any script, but the final draft continuity script. No deleted scenes, no character development based upon production notes, and certainly no original input from the author.

But go back to the novelizations h
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the movies
Recommended to Mark by: the movie
Shelves: scifi, cinema
A novelsisation of the movie that scared the living daylights out of me, and that after I read this book. I did read the book before since there was no chance in a snowballs' hell my mother was allowing me to see the actual movie in cinema. So as a good kid I found a 2nd hand copy and read the book before I ever saw the movie, and when I did on VHS I did not tell anybody at home, my sisters being snitches and such.

Alien the brilliant visual conception of GIGER and it does fall short in the book
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not a bad novelisation as they go but not a patch on the film. ALIEN is the first of a trilogy by Alan Dean Foster, in which he based his novelisations on the screenplays rather than the finished movies. As H. R. Giger came up with the look of the alien after the screenplay was finished, we're left with little to no description of the adult alien here; just a bogeyman's hand reaching down to catch its unsuspecting victims.

Given that Ridley Scott's film is a widely acknowledged sci-fi/horror mast
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
More detail and a bit more tense than the movie. The characters are more real. I enjoyed it and would recommend.
DNF with Jack Mack
I just lost a review I'd been working on for two hours, so now I'm honked off. Conclusion: if you want to read books that don't make you sleepy, try those with a single point of view that don't have a cast of a thousand dullards.

Alien is highly enjoyable for those who like such things. Five stars, if not for the mushy beginning and universal point of view. No doubt Foster could write a better book, but it wouldn't match the script and deadline conditions he was probably under. Corporations suck,
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror
I saw the film when I was 9 years old. It has given me nightmares well in to my 30's. This is great stuff!!!
After getting past the initial shock of watching the movie at such a young age, I went and bought the Alien Story Picture book and then in my early teen years I read the novel. It is a great read and really captures the haunting aspects of the movie. Everything you wanted was there with additional content you didn't see in the movies until Ridley Scott released a Director's Cut around 2004
George K.
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Η ταινία Alien (1979), σε σκηνοθεσία Ridley Scott και με πρωταγωνίστρια την Sigourney Weaver, είναι μακράν μια από τις αγαπημένες μου ταινίες επιστημονικής φαντασίας/τρόμου. Δεν χρειάζονται να ειπωθούν και πολλά λόγια για την ταινία, σωστά; Εδώ έχουμε να κάνουμε με την μεταφορά του σεναρίου των Dan O'Bannon και Ronald Shusett σε μυθιστόρημα, από τον αξιόλογο και πολυγραφότατο συγγραφέα επιστημονικής φαντασίας και φαντασίας, Alan Dean Foster.

Δεν χρειάζεται να γράψω περίληψη της ιστορίας. Όποιος
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-legit
Worth a read, well, the first part at least. Out of 270 pages, the first half comprises of the first twenty minute of the movie. And, to be honest, this is the best part of the book! Overall, the characters are not very well developed and the alien itself isn't described at all (plus, we all know the plot), but the exploration of the alien ship is fantastic; it's intriguing and suspenseful. These scenes are almost from another story - there is a mystery and danger that I never felt when watching ...more
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-worlds
This thing scared the bejesus out of me! Wholly mackerel! I had to grip the chair I was in. I broke into a cold sweat every time I picked this up to read it. I could NOT do it all in one sitting ' cause it was too intense. I like being scared, but seriously folks this was sheer terror. Something that could adapt to any atmosphere and is undestroyable? SHOOT me now, please? Poke me in the neck with a wooden stick HARD, repeatedly till I die before that thing gets to me!
Whew! Was all I could think
Brian Taylor
Decent read that expands upon most of the characters, however much of the tension from the film is missing in book form. The POV system is dated and readers are pulled from character to character suddenly, often times from paragraph to paragraph. I've seen it utilized mostly in older books. It can be a touch annoying at times. I would recommend this book to fans of the Alien franchise, but not the casual sci-fi reader.
Erikson Ribeiro
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read
Ler Alien foi muito divertido, porque ainda não assisti o filme (ou não lembro de ter assistido esse).
Os dois primeiros capítulos são bem devagar, imaginei que a leitura não fosse "render". Entretanto o livro entra em uma vibe de muito suspense e você não consegue parar de ler. A leitura flui muito bem após os dois capítulos introdutórios, os personagem são bem trabalhados, suas características bem descritas.
Espero assistir o filme em breve.
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a good complement to the movie, and a competent novelization. Hard to capture the atmosphere or intense atmosphere and creepiness of the movie, though.
Matt Byrde
I was about 13 when I first read Alien, not being allowed by my parents to see the movie as it was probably too scary for my young and fragile little mind. I found a copy at the library, the old 1979 hardcover version with cover art depicting a lone astronaut navigating an alien tunnel. As the cover didn't have the now iconic green, glowing alien egg design from the movie poster, my Mom probably didn't see this book as a movie tie-in, but instead another in the long line of benign astro-mystery, ...more
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Re-read this novel after almost 30yrs!

Read it when I was quite young (1982 or early 1983, methinks). I read it BEFORE I watched the film as I was too young to see it even when it appeared on home video.

ADF is a very clear, logical writer who incorporates a good deal of plausible science in his sci-fi (I've ONLY read his movie tie-ins). Foster doesn't get caught on messy, expository (=unnecessary) detail, techno-babble or handwavium. In many ways, he's like Michael Crichton. His writing style --
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Foster has some serious skills when it comes to movies converted to novels. Alien is no different.

This was an enjoyable book to read. Foster expands on a lot of what people saw in the movies, bringing a lot into their characters and the interactions between them. He captures the feel of the settings beautifully, and presents the xenomorph as the horrifying monster that it is.

That said, this novel was obviously transcribed off of the original drawings and script as there are differences between w
Attila Páter-Részeg
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the beginning I wasn't sure if I should read a novelization. I was afraid that it would ruin my memories about the movie. But this book surprised me positively, as it remained faithful to the film, and gived a more detailed description about the characters than I expected.

Unfortunately the xenomorph itself wasn't described as detailed as I expected, so this is the reason, why I took one star in my rating.
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was 13 and all I remember is that I was obsessed with the film and bought anything related to the film. I remember that this was a novelization of the director's cut - in the novel you find out what happens to Dallas, in the theatrical release you don't.
Sean Chick
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touted by some as the best movie novelization, it works as a stand alone book. Ash in particular is far more interesting in this version (no discredit meant to O'Bannon and Ian Holm).
Ana Mardoll
Alien (Film Novelization) / 0-446-82977-3

The film novelization of "Alien" is pleasantly well-written from a technical standpoint; the book possesses correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation, which cannot always be said for film novelizations. The characters are largely true to their counterparts in the movie, and both the expanded dialogue and the internal thoughts of the crew have a ring of the genuine to them.

This novelization was apparently based on an extremely early transcript of the scre
Carolina Casas
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
There is nothing better than the book, it is said but in this case, I have to go with the movie. The book was written after the movie came out so naturally, while it expands on the Alien universe, it also feels repetitive and doesn't deliver anything new that hasn't been seen or covered in the Director's cut.
What I will say for it though, is that it reads like an H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King cosmic horror novel, which might have been intentional given that the producer and artist behind the 1979
Karl Drinkwater
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Frank Tibbetts
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In space, no one can hear you scream.

Seven cryogenically frozen dreamers are awakened aboard the interstellar tug Nostromo. As haziness begins to dissipate, Captain Dallas retires to communicate with MOTHER―the ships onboard computer system.

Finding themselves off course and light years away from home, MOTHER informs Dallas that an alien distress signal has been detected and that under company protocol; they are obliged to investigate it.

Landing on the uncharted planet, Lambert, Kane, and Dallas
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Going through storage the other day, I discovered my old Alien books. Alan Dean Foster penned the first three of these and I reread the first two. I had not touched these in many years, as they were written in the 70's and 80s. I have several friends that weren't even born when I read the first two books! Lol
Alien is a horror novel. Make no mistake that it takes place in space, in the future and in a time when vast Earth corporations pay spaceship crews to salvage, reave and mine for pure profit
Si pensaban que es el libro en el que se basaron para la película me temo que estan equivocados, realmente este libro es una novelización de la famosa película de Ridley Scott, de la cual existen 3 secuelas y una precuela y es una de mis películas favoritas dicho sea de paso.

El libro se publico el mismo año que la película (1979), si bien es cierto las novelizaciones tienen muy mala fama ya que es muy difícil dotar a un libro del mismo interés que despierta la película este caso es sin duda la e
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful Sci-Fi-thriller book! I enjoyed every bit of it! A cosmic tug the Nostromo is sent to analyze a distress SOS signal from the unknown planet. Seven crew members including a warrant officer Ripley landed on that planet to investigate the signal. They found the alien space ship.

They went inside it and found egg shaped barrels. Kane bent on one of them. The small creature jumped from the barrel right to the Kane’s suit helmet and glued himself to the Kane’s face. They brought him to the
Can't recall the names of the books! 2 25 May 26, 2014 09:38AM
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
  • Total Recall
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Aliens: Genocide (Aliens)
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations #6)
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations #5)
  • Back to the Future, Part 3
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Abyss
  • The Deep
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Alien Movie Novelizations (5 books)
  • Aliens
  • Alien³
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Alien: Covenant - The Official Movie Novelization

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“I’m not afraid of the dark I know. It’s the dark I don’t that terrifies me.” 2 likes
“A man with a gun may hunt a tiger during the day with some expectation of success. Turn out his light, put the man in the jungle at night, surround him with the unknown and all his primitive fears return. Advantage to the tiger.” 1 likes