Start by marking “Alex and The Other: Weird Stories Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:
Alex and The Other: Weird Stories Gone Wrong

Alex and The Other: Weird Stories Gone Wrong

(Weird Stories Gone Wrong #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  25 ratings  ·  12 reviews
NOW AVAILABLE! Book 4 in the award-winning Weird Stories Gone Wrong series!

Beware the haunted bathroom mirror at school. Beware strangers in overcoats and dark glasses, whispering in the trees. But most of all, Beware The Other …
Alex is the loneliest boy at school. Not only are his parents away (again), but his beloved cat is missing. Plus, one morning his reflection in t
Published March 31st 2018 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about Alex and The Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex and The Other

Irene
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engaging read for middle school grades.
Alex is a lonely boy who already feels invisible most of the time. After a mysterious green fog rolls in, it seems Alex may turn invisible for real. Someone is trying to take over his life, but help may come from the strangest of places. Mildly creepy, with cute illustrations, and a true life lesson to be yourself.

I received an advance copy for review.
Rosie Rizk
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: weird
This is billed as "weird" so you're not in for any surprises when outlandish beings show up and life gets odd. If you like books with weirdness, then this is totally you. It's well written, and definitely for younger readers.

This isn't my usual genre - weirdness, but it was OK, and nowhere near absolute creepout. I really liked the way it ended tho.

I recommend this for goosebumps fans, and anyone looking for a not-so-scary horror children's book.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy through NetG
Rachel McKitterick
*thank you to Netgalley and Dundurn publishers for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

This was very good for a middle grade book! Usually the creepiness and horror themes in middle grade books are watered down but this one was pretty creepy! Not overly so but along the lines of the old popular "Goosebumps" series. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed reading a decent middle grade that had horror theme and this one does nicely. Also there is a bonus to this. Along with it
Amy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is invisible. Well, not really to begin with, just not really noticed or memorable. Then he decides to take a detour before heading. He comes across some possessed pigs who ask him about the other and his cat starts talking to him. The following days are filled with strange things until another Alex has taken his place and gradually no one can see him anymore. This is when real Alex is faced with the choice of fading away and letting other Alex take over or fighting back.

Real Alex is an emo
Jill Jemmett
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story!

It’s a very short middle grade book. I read it in about an hour. It is part of a series of weird stories, but I believe they can each be read on their own. I haven’t read the previous books, and I wasn’t missing anything.

This story was really creepy. Pigs can be strange creatures, and after reading this book, I’ll never look at them the same way! (You never know if an alien has taken over the pig’s body!) It really was a spooky, weird story, but it was very entertaining becaus
Joji Grey
"Alex and the Other" is exactly what I expected it to be- a simple and short story with a slightly creepy back hit. It reminds me of the collections of short horror stories that I loved so much as a kid. This wasn't quite as creepy or spooky as I would have liked, and at times the dialogue feels very unnatural, but it's a decent book and a very breezy read.
Wensday
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was the first book I'd read of this series. I'm looking forward to reading the earlier books now. The story moves along quickly but develops well into a complete story.

I received this from NetGalley for my honest opinion.
Cat
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids who enjoy Goosebump and similar books will enjoy this book! It's a fun, enjoyable story; quirky and weird. The main characters were fun, too!
received a Kindle ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for a fair review.
Megan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very quick, fun read. I would buy this book for my middle school aged nephews and would recommend it for that age. It had a mildish creepy factor that was kind of reminiscent of the Goosebumps series. I would definitely recommend this book!
Karen Upper
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author Philppa Dowding has created a narrative that is gripping page-turner where readers will be engaged and mesmerized from beginning to end!

Every school library should have this series and reluctant readers will vanish!
Highly Recommended for grades 4-7!!
Daniel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Not since the Goosebumps series have we had good 'weird' stories for young readers until Philippa Dowding began her Weird Stories Gone Wrong series. Alex and the Other is the fourth in this series, and though I've only previously read the first book in the collection, it's definitely a series to consider - especially if your younger reader enjoys stories that are slightly, well, weird.

Alex tends to feel a bit invisible. H
Kirk Weikart
A good chapter book with some lasting truths. Not every generation has Danny Dunn and Encyclopedia Brown.
Karen Upper
Jan 20, 2018
Mindy
Jan 25, 2018
Philippa Dowding
Jan 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Toni
Syndi Day
Cheryl Bradley
Amy
What's your favourite evil twin story? 1 1 May 24, 2018 08:04AM
Award-winning children's author, poet, musician, copywriter. Philippa's books have been nominated and commended for literary awards across Canada, the U.S. and Europe, including the Diamond Willow, Hackmatack, Silver Birch Express, Red Cedar and Red Maple awards. Her third book, The Gargoyle at the Gates, was named a White Raven Book, by the International Youth Library in Munich.

In 2017, her midd

Weird Stories Gone Wrong (4 books)
  • Jake and the Giant Hand (Weird Stories Gone Wrong #1)
  • Myles and the Monster Outside (Weird Stories Gone Wrong #2)
  • Carter and the Curious Maze (Weird Stories Gone Wrong #3)