Start by marking “The Wake Up” as Want to Read:
The Wake Up

The Wake Up

From New York Times bestselling author Catherine Ryan Hyde comes a hauntingly emotional novel of how one man’s life changes forever when he rediscovers his ability to feel the pain of others.

Something has been asleep in forty-year-old cattle rancher Aiden Delacorte for a long time. It all comes back in a rush during a hunting trip, when he’s suddenly attuned to the animals
Published December 5th 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

Amy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
There is a certain type of magic in every single Catherine Ryan Hyde book that I’ve read, an underlying feeling of hope that always restores my faith in humanity and leaves me feeling good about the world. It’s odd too, because she’s not afraid to tackle some tough issues that on the surface would seem dark, but the way she handles these issues makes you think, but also leaves you feeling sated.

Aiden is an empath, in case you’re like me and don’t know exactly what that means, it’s that he feels
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Wake Up is a compelling fiction novel written by Catherine Ryan Hyde. This is my first time to read a book by Hyde so I didn't set any expectations before reading this. The plot and Hyde's storytelling ability are both unexpectedly exceptional, hence I was able to finish this book within 2 days.

This novel is about Aiden Delacorte and the so-called recent "wake up" that happened to him. Because of the said incident, his life had a 180° turn and one of the changes was how to cope with his gir
Chris
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A poignant story - Aiden, 40 year old horse and cattle rancher, in a small town, suddenly, becomes an empathic. Which means, becoming highly sensitive to emotions, pain and suffering of animals, people. Feeling it as if it’s actually happening to him! It is a crippling condition and has caused some problems with townsfolk, fellow ranchers, his employees , his girlfriend. He can see through them and feel their feelings. There are not many people he’s comfortable with anymore. There are not many p ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

He wished he had a better bead on the greater worries, but they eluded him. Just shadows. Ghosts. Unknowable and indistinct. And yet so very . . . there.

He felt utterly unequipped to go home. Forcing himself back into a world that had put him in some role of authority felt akin to turning a puppy loose on a busy highway.

Aiden watched her go. As he did, it formed in his head, wordlessly, that she was a gift being given to him. Something rich and good coming into his life to make u
Judy Collins
Master storyteller, Catherine Ryan Hyde returns following (2017) Allie and Bea with her latest emotional, moving, and heartfelt novel THE WAKE UP – a spiritual journey of rediscovery, self-worth, hope, and acceptance.

A man and a boy have lost their way. Fate steps in and connects these two in unexpected ways. They slowly learn they have more in common than they may know. Each will ultimately find solace in a past of abuse and injustice, with trust and love.

Empathy equals good. Lack of empath
Libby
3.75 stars rounded up. Forty-year-old Aiden Delacorte has become an empath, sensitive to the feelings of the animals around him. That’s hard for a deer hunting cattle rancher; a rancher that castrates his young bull calves on round-up day. When Aiden feels the exploding pain of the stag he just shot and when he feels the fear and panic of the bull calves getting castrated, he knows things have changed. Aiden had been a very sensitive boy and tamped all those emotions down with alcohol at an earl ...more
Karen Rush
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The characters in this cleverly crafted story come alive. I connected almost immediately to Aiden, a deeply good man, a rancher who feels the fear and pain of animals. One day Aiden walks away from ranching; he can no longer bear the pain of these majestic animals. He is shunned by his small community, a community of ranchers who’s livelihoods depend on the slaughtering of cattle.

When Aiden falls in love with Gwen, a single mother of two, I feel hopeful. I loved Gwen’s patience, her unconditiona
Linda Zagon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing and thoughtful story, "The Wake Up" by Catherine Ryan Hyde is.  I loved everything about it. Catherine Ryan Hyde is a wonderful storyteller and weaves her details, descriptions and characters together for a wonderful reading experience.

The genre for this story is Fiction. The story is told in the present tense and goes back to the past when it is relevant to the characters and events.

The author describes her characters as complex and complicated.  Aiden Delacorte, is a 40-year-ol
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this book. It was one of my favorite Catherine Ryan Hyde books, right up next to Allie and Bea. I simply loved everything about it- the story, the characters and the writing style.

Aiden Delacorte has been a cattle rancher for many years. He inherited the ranch from his adopted father. At forty, while Aiden is out hunting, he experiences what he describes as a "wake up." He actually feels the pain and fear of the animals as it's his own. He can no longer handle being a rancher. His girlfr
Nancy
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads, fiction
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
A lot of reviewers seemed to have liked this better than I did. Not that this is a bad book, it just seemed a bit simplistic about the effects and "cure" of childhood trauma and far-fetched on an empaths ability to feel another beings feelings.
Vannetta Chapman
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've yet to read a CRH book that I didn't adore.
This one has clear prose, a compelling story line, and characters that feel like old friends.
Yeah--well done, Catherine!

Highly recommend.
Clean read with no language/violence/mature scenes. Though there is a reference to a mature adult relationship, no details are given and its handled so that this book can be read by all ages.
Linda Zagon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Suze Lavender
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When an old feeling reawakens in Aiden he can no longer do his job the way he used to. He was a successful cattle farmer, but experiencing the pain of animals makes it impossible for him to continue. The wake up also has another effect. Aiden used to suppress his feelings, not letting anyone in and blocking every possible emotion. This helped him to get by for many years, but now he has to find a different way to cope. His change costs him his relationship and makes him find new love. His girlfr ...more
Caryn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
Full review and giveaway on my blog: http://www.thebookwhisperer.org/2018/...
Eileen Goudge
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming tale

I loved this novel as I have the others written by the author. While hopeful and heartwarming, it never strays over the line into overly sentimental. The journey of boy and man toward understanding each other and themselves rings as true as the dialogue. I highly recommend it.
Therese
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A heartfelt story about a man with excessive empathy, feeling the pain that animals around him are feeling when they are hurt, abused or frightened. Growing up, he discovered a way to keep these feelings at bay, but they resurface again later in his adult life. It's around this time that he falls in love with a woman who has two children, including a son that has been badly abused and physically and emotionally scarred as a result. Through this man's reawakened empathy, along with memories of hi ...more
Joan Bannan
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this book except it reminds me of a great title of non-fiction book I read in the 70's, "It Takes so Little to Be Above Average." The story was good, but not exciting. The writing was okay, but not compelling.

I read other's reviews before I read this. This author has a lot of fans. Some who regret she is retiring. I'm not one of those fans. The book wasn't awful, but I won't seek out others by her.
Sofie Hern
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aristotle said, “To perceive is to suffer.” This is exactly what Aiden Delacorte’s life is now.

Catherine Ryan Hyde delivers yet another beautiful book. Her theme, which I have come to know as ‘when strangers become friends,’ is consistent, which is one of the reasons I enjoy her work. In The Wake up we meet Aiden, a 40 year old rancher whose livelihood is growing cattle. Aiden discovers that he possesses the ability to feel others pain and must learn to live with it. This new discovery changes A
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Aiden Delacorte is a 40-year old cattle rancher who one day while deer hunting, has a "wake up". He eventually discovers, through therapy, that he's an empath, someone who feels the emotions of animals and other people. And for most of his life, this ability to feel has been buried and repressed. Aiden decides he can no longer be a cattle rancher who castrates and then sends the cows to slaughter which angers and confuses his employees, friends and girlfriend. In the meantime, he meets Gwen who' ...more
Tammy Gardner
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read an advanced copy of The Wake Up by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I had no idea what this book was going to be about. When I realized it involved a ranch and horses I was instantly in love.

Aiden Delacorte inherited the ranch from his stepfather. He learned everything he knew about cattle ranching and horses through him. Aiden experiences what he calls "the wake up" during roundup on his ranch. This experience changes his
Alison
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have always loved her books, she has a very straight forward and honest way of portraying her characters and this story is no exception.
Aiden Delacorte is a 40-year old cattle rancher who sometimes has problems relating to people and one day while on a hunting trip, he “Wakes up”. After years of suppressing feelings he has always had, which rush back to him after shooting a big Buck, and he senses the fear and pain that he has inflicted with that action. Aiden is an Empath with the capacity to
Suellen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Wake Up is every animal rights activist’s dream come true. After 20 years of cattle ranching, Aiden Delacorte suddenly find himself feeling empathy for all the animals around him. He can actually feel their pain - cows, horses, dogs, chicken, rabbits, you name it. Meanwhile, he is attracted to a woman who has a disturbed child who likes to harm animals. I read 40% of the book but when his empathy turned toward ants, I just couldn’t take any more.
ActiveUSCitizen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Place on or before they are the same

“Yeah, he’s going to be big. Stocky big. Not too tall to work cattle. Probably no taller than he is now, which I’d say is fifteen-two. I never put a measuring stick to him or anything. I’ve probably got my nerve calling him a roping prospect, because he’s not even under saddle yet. But both the stallion and the brood mare were born to rope. Champions, both.”
Debbie Marinelli
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Catherine Ryan Hyde tells about some tough stuff but she never fails in making you think and reflect. This book had a good ending, some parts were uncomfortable to read. This book is a must for teachers. It lets you realize kids that are a little different or difficult may have dealt with issues that we can't even imagine.
Jane Broadribb
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
After being advised that this was not an especially good read I should have let it go. But I'd paid to put it my kindle and so read it I did. Don't buy it. Don't read it. It was - I hate to use the word - just dumb. Half the characters were unnecessary and the other half were half baked. Seriously... don't bother.
Patricia Locati
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love Hyde's books. The way she writes is so original and her writing just flows and flows and I find myself not wanting to put her books down. Sometimes I even think about the book when I'm not reading it - wondering what is going to happen next. I really enjoy her plots, characters and story lines.
Karen
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite!

Each new Catherine Ryan Hyde book I read becomes my new favorite! Honestly I couldn’t pin it down to one. Her stories are so heartwarming and full of humanity...the good, bad and in between. Her characters are such real people and her messages are so spot on. I loved all the characters in this book and I sped through it because putting it down was so hard.
Mally Skok
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it - loved the horse bits! I found it very emblematic of the times we live in. Shut down white guys that won't re-examine the world, or anything that changes their view of how things need to stay the same. Sad really!!
Nina
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decent yarn

This wasn’t my favorite Hyde novel but it was a good read and had some priceless passages, all heavily bookmarked.
Brooke
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me entertained but there was always something missing. I wanted more background as to why certain things were the way they were.

• In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • Crooked Moon
  • The Ice House
  • The Final Salute
  • Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Co.: A Road Novel with Literary License
  • A Mother Like Mine (Hartley-by-the-Sea, #3)
  • A Family for Christmas
  • A Distant Heart (Bollywood, #4)
  • Keeping Christmas
  • The Fatal Heir (Gillian Jones Mystery #1)
  • The Invention of Wings: Exclusive Free Chapter Sampler
  • Abby's Journey
  • Hygge Home: Cozy, Danish Ideas for House Interiors
  • The Fairytale Mother
  • Secrets of Worry Dolls
  • The Things We Need to Say
  • The Hand of God: A Journey from Death to Life by the Abortion Doctor Who Changed His Mind
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir
“Milo” 0 likes
“Human nature. After something works out, we forget the frustration of the steps we took in getting there.” 0 likes