Start by marking “Getting a Grip (Getting a Grip Duet #1, #MyNewLife, #1)” as Want to Read:
Getting a Grip (Getting a Grip Duet #1, #MyNewLife, #1)

Getting a Grip

(#MyNewLife #1)

This isn’t my life. Okay, it is my life, but not the way I envisioned it would be.

I wasn’t supposed to be a divorced mother of three when I turned the big 4-0. Sure, I expected the fine lines, gray hairs and left over baby belly. What I didn’t expect was expanding our family get-togethers by one… my ex-husband’s new child bride. Ok, ok, she’s not young. Maybe.

Did I mentio
Published July 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Getting a Grip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting a Grip

Start your review of Getting a Grip (Getting a Grip Duet #1, #MyNewLife, #1)
*TANYA*
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
ADORABLE!!! I laughed so hard at times, and got choked up as well. I especially liked how believable and relatable this book was, from day to day stuff going on to the inner turmoil the characters dealt with. AND there is "something" in this book that I have NEVER, yes NEVER, read about in ANY book!!! A very real-life "something"!! Lol.

"We both are imperfect. We both have insecurities. And yet, neither of us care one rat's ass about those perceived flaws."
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

"How did I get here? How did I go from being a pretty woman in my twenties to flat out frumpy and pushing forty?”

[image error]

I very much enjoyed this story even if it did end with a cliffhanger. However, since the conclusion is releasing on August 18th it’s only a matter of days and that makes me a happy reader. I’m looking forward to more of this heroine. Elena is VERY relatable as a single mom having to deal with her douche ex and his Home Wrecker Barbie new wife. The author port
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
4 Hot Dog Loving Stars

photo hotdog_zpsnb7ypkob.gif

This is the story of 40 year old Elena, single mum of three young girls on the path to rediscovery after her husband of 15 years leaves her for his mistress. This hilarious journey was one of the most 'real' books I have read in ages. The characters struggle with 'normal' body flaws and 'normal' problems like dying during a spin class, a hyper kid destroying everything and lack of bladder control after childbirth.
 photo blowcandlesout_zpsgvpxdx0m.gif

As you get further into the story it's hard n
DJ Sakata
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction, humor
Favorite Quotes:

“I feel bad for poor Bruce Jenner.” She shakes her head and sighs. “It’s no wonder that poor man had to become a woman… If you had your choice of being married to that woman or wearing a dress for the rest of your life, I’d choose the pantyhose, too.”

Poor kids. They can see the trampolines, rings, and foam pits… it’s all right in front of their wide little eyes… and no one will open the gate to let them in and run free. I get it. I feel that way right before they open the doors a
Mysza
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**** 4,5 stars ****

Such a wonderful book. Elena - heroine is in her late thirties, divorced, with three kids and a douchebag of an ex-husband and his new barbie wife.

But karma is a bitch and I just loved how Elena turned his asshole ex down at the end - too late he realized, how a wonderful woman he let go.

Ok, but this is not what the book is about, it's about her getting a grip of her life after divorce and about finding that female confidence again.

And about romance of course. And so we hav
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
‘For the last year, I’ve been swinging through life, trying to hold on but losing my grip. Sometimes I don’t even realize how close I am to failing. But if I’m going to be successful, I have to let go of my insecurities and my fears so I can grab onto things differently.’

Well this was delightful, refreshing story. I have read another series by this author and they were 5-star books so I had high hopes going into this read.

Elena is a busy single mum with three beautiful young daughters. Her m
The Book Lover
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This a book about real life and not about fantasy.. this story really touched my heart and I'm grateful that the author took the time to write this! It's great to have a sense of reality in the book world! The story was raw, hurtful, funny, but most important it was real! The characters had very real issues and you really have to read this book with open eyes and a sense of reality! Kudos to the author! I hope your Greg comes! ...more
Beth
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 BFFs & Karma Stars

Do you ever feel like you need a reset? Like just get back to the factory settings and start again? The problem with the default setting on life is that you love your screen saver and apps. So you just learn to get rid of the viruses you downloaded along the way.

Elena's life his getting a hard reboot. She is divorced with 3 kids. She got rid of her cheating husband virus but loves her kids and best friend. She is just trying to get everyone to school and home with the mini
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review by: Jennifer
(5 stars)

Elena has gone through a brutal divorce, her husband has moved on and married the "other" woman. Now, Elena takes care of their three daughters and just basically lives day to day. No she isn't sad about loosing the husband, he was crap after all, its more that she is sad that she has to share her girls, and that the one that was supposed to love her even with all her "faults" didn't. When Elena meets Greg, who has also been through the ringer with his divorce, she do
Ana Vizentim
I really liked this book... So funny....
I loved Elena and how she got her grip...
Want to know more about Greg on book 2...
Sue
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Getting a Grip was absolutely funny, uplifting and so much more than I expected. M.E. Carter paints a picture that all of us deal with on a daily basis -- one where we doubt our worth, where we doubt our looks, where we doubt ourselves. She shows us that all of us, including those considered to be the hottest on the planet, have a measure of doubt and something about themselves they don't like. The key is to "Get a Grip" on yourself and your thoughts and turn those around.

Elena suddenly finds he
Marisol Scott
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everytime I pick up a book by M.E. Carter I know I'm not going to be let down. Getting A Grip was no exception! Carter writes relatable characters and story lines that make you ponder your reactions to life events you have experienced.
I loved this book. The dialogue between characters had me laughing my pants off most of the time and other times I wondered if I would be as astute, assertive, and witty if in those situations. Even the secondary characters were so well developed, I wanted more of
Misty
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-top-reads
First, can I get a hallelujah for a heroine that is so incredibly real that I could actually see myself as her??!! Please?? Thank you.

I haven't said much about this book to my peers or even in ME's group because it hits so close to home for me. It's brought up some issues I have been dealing with for 2 years since my own divorce. Those insecurities Elena feels throughout the book so many of us want to roll out eyes at? They are real people. Regardless of how your ex treated you, when you get di
Kim
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know when you finish THAT book? The one that you cannot put down? The one that makes you laugh so hard you cry and then cry so hard your family questions your sanity?

Getting A Grip: A #MyNewLife Romantic Comedy by M.E. Carter is THAT book. This is one of the best RomComs I have ever read and one so real, it knocked my socks off.

Elena is a divorced mother of 3 young girls. A woman who is now single due to her jerk of an ex-husband that married a much younger woman. Even though Elena takes th
Nadia
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I. AM. SERIOUSLY. IN. LOVE. WITH. THIS. BOOK!

Sorry, for the all capitals, but this book had me laughing out loud so much and so hard that my cheeks hurt and are sore as heck. This is definitely one of the better RomComs out there, the book literally just placed in my top 10.

This book is about Elena Monroe, a newly divorced mom who is trying to get a grip on her life after her husband cheated on her. I truly love and respect Elena, she is a real inspiration, and she is a better woman than I eve
ItaPixie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars

This was a funny,entertaining,real and in a way also a unique story.

When I started this book I thought it was an easy to read rom com but just after a few chapter I understood it was so much more.
Getting a Grip was a story about self-discovery,acceptance of our flaws and the courage to start again even if the future is uncertain.

I've really appreciated how the author delivered this meaningful story with a light atmosphere and a bunch of great characters.

Elena is hands down one of my favorite he

Debbie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You always know you're getting something good when it's an M.E. Carter book. But this one - the romance AND the comedy were both stellar!

Elena is 40ish, divorced (because her hubby left her for his secretary!!), mother of 3 trying to figure out what to do with her life. Her ex and his Barbie doll new wife (who you will want to bitch slap several times during the book) are involved enough with the girls to be a major annoyance in her life.

Her ex is an asshat who tore her down before she left and
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
Getting A Grip is a wonderful and unique story that is more than a RomCom. Although it is definitely humorous, it is also real and full of heart and emotion.

“Elena, you’re a woman, not a child. You’re supposed to have curves and scars and embellishments.”
“Embellishments? Is that what we’re calling cellulite now?”

Full Review:
Frances
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
almost 4 stars!
I absolutely loved the banter in this book. Callie and Elena have the best friendship. Enters Greg who is hot and a great dad. He gives it just as good as them at times. I have to say the whole not perfect thing really appealed to me. neither of them are perfect physically to others, but the each other they fit. I enjoyed that idea.
here comes the but... it's not over there's another book! I need it now please!! Looking forward to see how it all plays out. I like that it didn't e
KelMelTell BookBlog
Whoa! M.E. Carter went and did it again! Y'all, this book is so relatable and just real.

When you first meet Elena, you totally just get her. Elena is divorced with three kids. Her ex-husband of 15 years has left her and married his mistress. In the process of that, Elena has to rediscover herself.

With the help of her mom and her best friend, Callie, she becomes more confident and finds love again. With herself and with another. The insecurities weighed heavy on Elena (as we all go through them)
Shelly's Book Corner
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lourdes-reviews
Elena Monroe is a divorced mother of 3 young girls. Another woman blindsided by a cheating husband who blamed her for the failure of their marriage, leaving her full of insecurities in the wake of their breakup. Sounds familiar?
With the help of her mother, a faithful best friend and a newly found male friend, Elena will work to find herself again and get control of her future.
This is my first read by this author and I just loved this book. I fell in love with the characters. Elena is so real, a
Farah
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you Farah, take this book to be added into your we go together like a wink and a smile shelf?

I do, I do, I do!

Dear whoever who reads this review, get this book. If 4O is still a long way to go, it's okay, use this book as a guide when you finally hit the big 4O and facing the same dilemma as Elena. Elena was not perfect, she was not a supermom, she had loads of issues with herself but those things are unimportant as she didn't give up but continued to be the best that she could be for hersel
Kristi
M.E. Carter has gone in a completely different direction with her newest novel, Getting a Grip and it’s outstanding!  She has a fresh, often hilarious perspective on divorce and dating in the modern age.

Elena, a recent divorcee` is going through the daily motions of raising 3 daughters, and all that entails including dealing with the ex, recitals and gymnastics classes.  Her best friend Callie is with her every step of the way, offering support and snark in kind. Enter Greg, a divorced dad with
Cassidy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Getting A Grip is what I would call a real life story. The heroine is not your typical twenty something heroine. She is a middle aged divorcée with three wonderful children. This isn't a book without a best friend that is consistently there. There isn't a best friend that is mentioned in the beginning of the book and when mentioned later in the book you don't know who it is. The story is just as much about friendship as it is about romance. There is a much loved hero that everyone will wish is t ...more
Izzie d
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved it.
Older Hero and heroine.
Really funny parts to the story.
Duet. Ends on a cliffhanger, needing book 2.
Secondary characters introduced for future books in series.
No intimate scenes other than the Hero and heroine.
Other woman and man drama in form of ex partners.
HEA end of book 2.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
Emotiinal,sweet and funny 💓❤ I really enjoyed it .I read it so fast!
Christy  (CaptainReadsALot
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2017-5-star
I will 100% be honest here:

This book rocks.

It is so REAL and shows real life situations that people live with every single day. The characters are easy to relate with and you find yourself rooting for them.

Greg and Elena are the best. Like ever. Their relationship evolves slowly over time.

And that ending. Just wow. Just ... I can't. YOU MUST READ THIS.

Seriously, ME just hit this one outta the park. LOVED it.
Katie Pettigrew
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come but wow. Amazing.
Joy Novel Thoughts
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I'm getting a grip on my life again. Only this time, I'm not relying on anyone else to make it feel complete."

M.E. Carter has a way of humanizing her characters that make them feel real, their struggles are the same as a lot of our struggles and they aren't perfect. That was perhaps my favorite part of this story. Seeing Elena's personal growth and finding her confidence again while getting a grip on her new life unfold before my eyes was amazing. I really enjoyed her coming into her own, the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sticking to the Script (Cipher Office, #2)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Carpentry and Cocktails (Green Valley Library, #5)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • Only One Night (Only One #3)
  • Only One Chance (Only One, #2)
  • Stranger Ranger (Park Ranger, #2)
  • The Bluff (Calamity Montana, #2)
  • Stud Muffin (Fighting for Love #1)
  • No Whisk No Reward (Donner Bakery, #1)
  • Beef Cake (Fighting for Love #2)
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • Love in Deed (Green Valley Library #6)
  • Code of Honor (Cipher Security #2)
  • Prose Before Bros (Green Valley Library, #3)
  • Only One Touch (Only One #4)
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • Speak From The Heart (Heart Collection, #1)

#MyNewLife (4 books)
  • Balance Check (Getting a Grip Duet #2, #MyNewLife #1.5)
  • Pride & Joie (#MyNewLife #2)
  • Amazing Grayson (#MyNewLife, #3)