Start by marking “London Spies (Phyllis Bowden #1)” as Want to Read:
London Spies (Phyllis Bowden #1)

London Spies (Phyllis Bowden #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23 ratings  ·  13 reviews
London Spies is a book of historical fiction set in London, England at the end of World War II.
Phyllis Bowden, a secretary at the American Embassy, is catapulted into the limelight when the Military Attache is arrested for espionage and her boss, the Assistant Military Attache, assumes the position.
The arrest throws suspicion on everyone at the Embassy, particularly the
Published May 9th 2017

To ask other readers questions about London Spies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London Spies

really liked it 4.00  ·

Barbara Schlichting
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading about WWII and the intrigue with the spies and how people coped during the war.
Jeanette
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
I was pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres!

I enjoyed this book and although I seldom write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, I do recommend.
Hyacinth
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have found a new genre. I am really starting to love historical fiction. This story kept me engaged from start to finish. I wasn't really fond of the ending. I of course wanted to know what happened between Joe and Phyllis. I love the mayhem with Phyllis and Lorraine. I was shocked to find out the culprit behind the racketeering. Mrs. Stewart had me in tears. This book I won in a goodreads giveaway.
Tim
Although I enjoyed this story I was put off by the occasional errors in geography and terminology.
I assume that this book was written for the American market and that American terminology is probably used to help the reader understand but this does limit the appeal to a UK audience.

I received my copy free via Goodreads giveaways.
Geoff. Lamb
London Spies is an excellent period novel, the period (and setting) being London in WWII. The novel is as much a detective story as it is about spies, but no matter, Phyllis is stubborn and determined. More Phyllis, please!
Dave Wheeler
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A not to be missed read.

London Spies, meet Phyllis efficient, precise and reliable and yet still amazing, plus according to Joe stunningly beautiful. Phyllis is an American working in the American Embassy in London (you may have guest the location from the title). When her bosses boss is arrested and marched out of the Embassy in handcuffs our hero realises this is wrong and after some encouragement starts a quest that you will have to read about for yourself as you will see it will be more than
S.J. Slagle
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, you caught me. I gave my own book a five star rating, but wait! Let me explain.

A cousin of mine was one of the first women in the CIA in 1946 and her story was too good to pass up. So I didn't. If you'd like to see her, go to my blog, which also gives much of the research for this book in various postings. http://www.anauthorsworld.com.

London, WW2 and women in military intelligence have long kept my interest and when I decided to write the book, the story came to me. Writers may tell you t
Loraine
It's London 1945 and World War 2 is just winding down. Phyllis Bowden is secretary to the Assistant Military Attache at the American Embassy. When the Military Attache is relieved of duty and accused of spying, no one believes that Col. Lawrence did this. Richard Simpson, Phyllis' boss, is promoted to Miltiary Attache, and they both feel they need to find out what really happened.

This is my first mystery by Slagle. I enjoyed the mystery very much. The historical detail of London at this point i
Cynthia
I might classify this as a 'cozy historical mystery.' I think it offers a pretty historically accurate description of the atmosphere of that time period (1945), she does a real good job of describing the setting of London as a war torn city. Jargon/lingo of that time period is used too, & that provides a bit of a 'setting' in itself. It's a good, quick read.....no bad language, sex or gore! I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a 'real/true' historical aspect to their read. A 3.5 star rating ...more
Jeanne Harrell
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good spy mystery

I enjoy historical dramas especially those based on true events. The protagonist was realistic with a good supporting character to help her. I'd recommend the book to anyone who enjoys novels about world war 2.
Judie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would classify London Spies as young adult.
Indiebrag
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that LONDON SPIES by S.J. Slagle is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Kathy Shaw
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intrigue during WWII

A young american girl working at the American Embassy in London finds herself entangled in what looks like espionage. As she follows hunches and clues she unwittingly becomes a target. This novel was fast paced and the characters were fun. I enjoyed this book. Just finished a second reading as I will meet The Author tonight.
Ron
Anita Jude
Michele
is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2018
RABT Book Tours: PROMO Blitz: London Spies by SJ Slagle 1 2 Feb 22, 2018 09:33AM
  • Murder Flies the Coop (Beryl and Edwina Mystery #2)
  • LaLa Feels Blah-La (LaLa's World #1)
  • Deadly Fashion (Deadly #3)
  • Get Me to the Grave on Time
  • Murder at Rudhall Manor
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • A Death Along the River Fleet (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #4)
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)
  • Dangerous Deceptions (Palace of Spies, #2)
  • A Death by Any Other Name (Lady Montfort Mystery #3)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • That Silent Night: A Lady Emily Christmas Story
  • Take Me to Your Heart Again (The Redcliffe Sisters #2)
  • Hard Cold Winter (Van Shaw, #2)
  • The Perks of Loving a Scoundrel (Seduction Diaries, #3)
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)