Start by marking “Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)

Unearthed

(Unearthed #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  4,527 ratings  ·  1,236 reviews
When Earth intercepts a message from a long-extinct alien race, it seems like the solution the planet has been waiting for. The Undying's advanced technology has the potential to undo environmental damage and turn lives around, and Gaia, their former home planet, is a treasure trove waiting to be uncovered.

For Jules Addison and his fellow scholars, the discovery of an ali
Published December 1st 2017 by Allen & Unwin (first published November 22nd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Unearthed, please sign up.
Meagan Spooner It might be possible to connect them somehow, as Unearthed is near-future science fiction and the Starbound trilogy takes place far, far into…moreIt might be possible to connect them somehow, as Unearthed is near-future science fiction and the Starbound trilogy takes place far, far into mankind's future, but they aren't intended to share universes. (That said, readers are welcome to speculate. Sometimes that's half the fun. We're fans too, we get it.)(less)
Meagan Spooner It's not a very exciting answer, but it just has to do with sales and marketing. Different markets/countries have different optimal release dates, so…moreIt's not a very exciting answer, but it just has to do with sales and marketing. Different markets/countries have different optimal release dates, so when you have different publishers handling the releases, the dates can differ slightly. With Unearthed coming out so near the holidays, our US publisher preferred to release after the holidays, while our Aussie publisher chose to release before, which makes for a longer gap than usual. (Nobody wants to try to compete with the holidays, least of all us!)

(less)

·  4,527 ratings  ·  1,236 reviews

Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Lara Croft meets Indiana Jones...IN SPACE.

description
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was really fun! I will admit I did lose the plot a little bit in the second half but then we got to the end and I was honestly a lil bit shook lol. Excuse me while I go gobble up all the YA sci-fi that I can get my hands on for the next few weeks bc this was SO FUN
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It’s easy for the international alliance to say they’ll be careful on Gaia. It’s easy for them to dismiss the warnings from the Undying, the stories of their own civilization’s downfall. But the human race has been dismissing the decline of our planet and the destruction of its resources for centuries now. We’ve gotten pretty good at it.

This book is entertaining and nothing more. Honestly, my feelings here were basically a more extreme version of my feelings on Warcross earlier this year - goo
Cait • A Page with a View
This really was like Indiana Jones in space! With a bit of Doctor Who maybe? I used to say I'm reallllly not a sci-fi person, but Amie Kaufman made me second guess that with Illuminae. And here we go again. I'm actually starting to like space...

The idea of the story is pretty simple when you look back on it, but there are so many twists and things to solve while reading that it feels like a huge adventure. I think the characters were what really made this story so strong for me! They both get a
may ❀
like this was slow but really good. tbh i wasnt expecting any less from amie kaufman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

im a simple child, amie kaufman writes a book, i read it

Buddy read with gato
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This has some super cringey writing and instalove, but once you get a good chunk of the way through, it gets so exciting!
may ➹
if the beginning had been even half as exciting as the ending, it would have gotten more than 3 stars

but alas, this book put me in a slump until I finally decided to pick it up again because being 2 books behind schedule stressed me out (but... damn. that ending)

// buddy read with la belle
amy ☂︎
Aug 07, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
i really..... really just lost interest in this. don't hate me i'm fragile
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3.5 Stars

Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner team back up for the first time since their Starbound series. Taking place on a distant planet, this story follows Jules and Mia as the navigate the ‘temples’ of an extinct alien species who ironically were called the ‘Undying.’ (Basically it started out Indiana Jones in space and somehow turned into Doctor Who.)

description

The plot itself is fun. These are the sort of zany, broad spectrum adventures that make me love sci-fi. And the interesting take on exploring a n
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Crazy4Books
I was beyond excited when I got a review copy of this book. I wanted to read it right away and only with major restraint was I able to wait closer to the publication date. Ive been obsessed with Scifi lately and the premise of a treasure hunting adventure on an alien planet sounded like a lot of fun. After 2 very different teenagers, a scavenger and a scholar sneak onto this dangerous alien planet they decide to team up to evade deadly treasure hunters and make it through a trapped filled maze. ...more
Heather
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A fun scifi book!
Indiana Jones in space is what I would say is the perfect way to describe this book!
It didn't wow but but was enjoyable!

K.
Trigger warnings: violence, death, explosions, mentions of...forced prostitution? I guess that's the best way to refer to it.

11/12/2018
I was a little nervous about how I'd feel rereading this because WHAT IF I JUST GOT CAUGHT UP ON THE HYPE TRAIN LAST YEAR AND IT'S NOT ACTUALLY AS GOOD AS I REMEMBERED?? Spoiler alert: it was as good as I remembered.

27/11/2017
So here's the thing: this, other than The Upside of Unrequited, was my most anticipated book of the year from the moment that I read the f
Bradley
YA Adventure Romance in alien ruins, full of scavengers, raiders, and a mystery that only really gets good at the end.

Yeah? But did I have fun?

Moderately so. No real complaints -- for the most part -- but I often wondered if this was really about tomb raiding or whether this was about the character dynamic of Elites versus the Downtrodden. The romance wasn't exactly bad in this regard. Some parts were quite enjoyable.

The raiders bit? Well, unfortunately, the raiders of the lost ark seemed to dr
Alyssa
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
It took me soooooooooooooooooo long to get through this book. I was bored out of my mind the entire time. I never fully got into the story, but at some point I stopped falling asleep on myself (that's 100% legit -- the first three times I attempted to read even a few chapters, I fell asleep. Maybe I'm just overworked? I don't think that's entirely the case though). It's not a BAD book, just really boring in the first half.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Unearthed by Amie Kaufman a
Alice Cai
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 1-star
1.75* dnf: 30% I also looked ahead a bit. I don't think I'm going to like it any more.
(edit: lowered to 1 star horrible characters and info-dump worldbuilding)

What is this shit. I don't usually listen to recs/hype for sci-fi they are always horrible. I just wanted to try something new out for once. So many details yet the world doesn't seem cool at all. Less details please with a cooler world and less annoying characters. So boring.

Oh that was horrible. It's duo perspective and they just kept on
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
GUYS THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD YOU ALL NEED TO DROP EVERYTHING AND GO READ IT!

It's really cool. There was no way that any book could live up to the description of Indiana Jones in outer space, BUT IT DID! This book was absolutely incredible.

Characters were great. Nothing atypical, but I honestly didn't care. Jules and Mia were fabulous. I really liked how they were intelligent, excelling in linguistics and maths respectively. They were not especially unique, but I loved this detail and the pair of th
Ryan Graudin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THAT ENDING THOUGH.
Stacee
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS AMAZING!!

Love love love Mia and Jules. She smart and sassy and he’s a British scholar and together they’re adorable. I love getting dual POV and each of them were charismatic characters who were easy to root for. Plus there’s some kissing and deliciously long glances when the other one isn’t looking.

Plot wise, it’s like a scavenger hunt x a million. There’s so much on the line for Mia and Jules, that it really made for some excellent tension. The story starts off with a bang and doesn’
Caitlin
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Damn this book was good. I don’t know why I put off reading it for ages
Carrie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be on a science fiction streak here lately but what better way to escape reality than to head off onto an alien planet for a bit of adventure? Unearthed by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner is a young adult science fiction fantasy that fit that mood perfectly.

In this story of course Earth is in danger as always and the search for other planets has led to Gaia after a message from an alien race was intercepted. Scientists are eager to study the race and the culture along with Gaia itself
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/07/...

I felt I gave this one a fair shot, despite everything from end-of-year burnout to post-vacation blues seeming to conspire against me. In the end, this was simply not the engaging tomb-raiding adventure on an alien planet that I was expecting, and mostly found myself bored and unable to see why this book couldn’t be half the length with the same plot content.

The story begins on Gaia, a far-flung planet discovered when a
Trina (Between Chapters)
Well the hook of Indiana Jones + Lara Croft + space was 100% accurate!

(view spoiler)

Audio narration: Above average. Would recommend this format. My only complaint was that each narrator read a side character's accent so differently.
Justine

I thought this was a fun YA SF romance/adventure book that had a Romancing the Stone feel to it.

I've read the Starbound trilogy by Kaufman and Spooner and I felt that my expectations were basically met. I liked the Oxford academic pairs with streets smart scavenger storyline, and I felt that Jules and Mia had pretty good chemistry.

My only complaint is that in parts where the backstory of the discovery and exploration of Gaia and the Undying were given it was a tiny bit repetitive now
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
*3.75/5 not as good as Starbound stars*

“We may be the only ones who think that braving a series of crumbling death traps is proof of good decision making.”

This was so entertaining! I really enjoyed reading this book and think that everyone who liked/loved Starbound trilogy will be into this one as well. I liked both of the characters - Especially Jules. Such a sweet, sweet extremely idealistic nerd! - their banter and interactions were fun (although I'm not yet sold on the romance aspect), the
Jenna
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“The worthy will rise into the stars . . .”

This is a fun but fluffy read. If you're looking for hard sci-fi, you won't find it in this book; if you're looking for a non-stop action thrill read with a bit of teen romance thrown in, you'll love this book. The first part was slow-going for me but once I got into it, I couldn't wait to find out the mystery, who the "Undying" were, what they were trying to tell humans.

In a time in the very near future (their technology is too much like our own in
Carlos
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-btr
Wow , what a journey . I loved this book because it reminded me of Indiana Jones in space with a little bit of Doctor who thrown in . The pace is very fast and things happen very quickly, both main characters are well developed and you cannot help but root for them since the beginning of the book. Throw in a world conspiracy and some alien tech and aliens themselves and you can get a grasp of what this book is about . For anyone who loves sci-fi and is a fan of Illuminae .
★★★★
I've seen some marketing for this series in which it's being compared to a cross between Indiana Jones and Lara Croft. I can see very slight similarities but I assure you that going into this reading experience with these expectations will likely leave you disappointed. But if you dive into Unearthed with the expectation to enjoy a YA goal-oriented, conflict-filled, adventure/fantasy originated from the minds of a winning duo of co-writers, then ding ding ding! you'll be just fine.

I read ve
Ari
Ok, so I actually own the AU paperback, but I am too lazy to add a new edition, so there's that. I also received it one day AFTER the US release (though I've preordered it months before November), because the postal service is evil and it hates me. *sigh**

The thing is, I wanted to LOVE this book, I was so excited about it, so eager to meet this set of characters and join them in their adventure.. There is a "but" coming and punching me right in the face... I think I abandoned it like 3 times in
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
"Onward if you dare"

A WHOLE UNIVERSE OF SPARKLY EXPLODING STARS!
Honestly the best book I've read this year so far. I was a little hesitant to pick it up only because sci-fi novels aren't always for me, but this book... *brain explodes* Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner really outdid themselves on this well thought out, jaw-dropping, wild ride of a book. I finished it and immediately wanted to go back to the beginning and read it all again. I also read it in one sitting, and if you dont know by
  • The Undercurrent
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Gap Year in Ghost Town
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Found
  • Jinxed (Book 1)
  • White Night
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Because of You
  • Defy the Worlds (Constellation, #2)
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • In the Dark Spaces
  • Navigating the Stars
  • What Goes Up
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her multi-award winning work is slated for publication in over 30 countries, and is in development for film and TV. Raised in Australia and occasionally Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution. She lives in Melbourne with her husband, their rescue dog, and an extrem ...more

Unearthed (2 books)
  • Undying (Unearthed, #2)
“When we allow ourselves to explore, we discover destinations that were never on our map.” 17 likes
“I'm improvising, but I've been doing that my whole life.” 7 likes