Start by marking “Awakened (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awakened (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #1)

Awakened

(Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth #1)

In the Future, Even the Broken Can Make a Change...

When a nascent AI hacks her holo device, Molly Bates has to think fast and get out of the military before anyone discovers what has happened. The only problem?

The swiftest way out is also the most embarrassing. Mortifyingly embarrassing.

Ever the underdog, Molly refuses to stay down. What follows is a rough and tumble a

Published May 10th 2017 by LMBPN Publishing (first published March 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Awakened, please sign up.
Linzi The first two are available on Audible

Start your review of Awakened (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #1)
Tony Hisgett
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read all of Michael Anderle’s Kurtherian Gambit books but have kept away from the dozens of books that seem to have been spawned by this series. This is the first I have tried and to begin with I thought I had made a big mistake. Unfortunately, although the story does improve, it also became quite annoying.

We meet Molly right at the start of the book but learn very little about her before she has her brain hacked by an AI.
I hoped that we would find out more about her as she tried to come
Loner State Bibliophile
Not Bad

The dialogue was a little stiff and awkward, and the book would have been better in first person, BUT... decent effort!
Dani
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Centuries in the future, in a galaxy far away, our heroes discover a sinister plot to trick the legislature into imposing Obamacare. Yes, really. No, they don't call it that. Yes, it's a cunning plan to force everyone to buy healthcare and then jack up the price.

The milieu is basically modern-American. The intervening centuries have left a patina of science-fictional tropes (there are space ships, weapons can be set to stun, there are aliens - though of course they are humanoid and sexually com
Marlene
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
First word that comes to mind is unimaginative .

(view spoiler)
Dan Melson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I suppose it's ok as mindless escapism and scenery chewing, but be certain to keep your brain switched off the entire time. It shows the protagonist as incapable of dealing with personnel issues and management, but her assistant keeps telling her what a good job she's doing and apparently meaning it. Protagonist declines to take a tactical option because then the opposition would know who it was, when a congenital idiot could and would figure it out. She verbally and threatens an antagonist in h ...more
Iori
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Big change but agreeable!

This new series in the kurtherian world show us a different kind of heroine, one who is totally different from Valerie or Bethany-Anne. Molly felt like a work in progress, a sheltered girl with ethic issues that is released from her cage and will cause mischief. I want to know what she will become, so I guess I'll add this series to my favourite. I like the style of miss Ell, for a new author she made a good job for her first book!

Hope to continue reading about Molly and
Kristoffer
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book pretty well, but there were things about it that made the reading experience not as enjoyable. First, I was confused about the timeline. Based on the timeline from the Kurtherian site, I was led to believe this book took place soon after the end of the Kurtherian Gambit series. However, this book mentions BA having not been seen in years, but she had made a public appearance right at the end of the Kurtherian Gambit series. That meant it had only been a few years since BA sho ...more
Christopher
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Passable SF

Good points:

- The protagonist is a moderately interesting character.

- This author, unlike Michael Anderle, has fairly good grammar skills, at least self-edits proactively. I'm not entirely sure I found even one error throughout the novel!

Improvement points:

- Dialog generally felt forced, to me, and sometimes a bit awkward.

- Pacing wasn't handled well. There were many times when I wondered how the current details were moving a story along. Reminded me of a Rifftraxed movie I watched
Gizzy
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who do i have to bribe for the sequel??

I find myself struggling to figure out how to start this review. Maybe I should be giving myself a chance to digest this book first, or wait until I've reread it three or four times like the main TKG books, but I really feel this book deserves feedback at the earliest possible moment.

Initially, I felt like the story got a bit of a slow start. I wasn't bored, by any stretch, but I wasn't feeling that wonderful "hooked" feeling, either. That changed somewhere
Rob
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Wonderful Book!

First off, I wrote Elle a message midway through this book asking her some inane questions! (Sorry 😶). After reading and listening (immersion style as I like to say), I understand completely and thoroughly, I mean who, besides myself, would write the author halfway through and basically say, BTW what's the book about?!? It's hard to get the Army out of the boy! I thought I heard some Doctor Who type references in there. When I listened to the author notes and you said T
Paul
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent beginnings of what,hopefully will be another amazing series

Very different from what we've seen in the KGU so far.
No one is a super soldier. No one is trying to save the galaxy. There are no vampires or weres.
What we do have is a protagonist with depth, and possibly a slight case of Asperger's Syndrome who is learning about herself, her strengths and flaws, and is trying to become a better person. Taking what some consider to be a disability and turning it into her greatest strength.
She
Ryan Mangrum
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
My problems with this book are myriad, but I'll stick to the big issues:

1) The book takes place on a planet that accepted a few humans 150 years prior, most of the characters are non-human, but ALL the characters have human names, to include surnames. Why are there aliens names William, Henry, Erik, etc. I can kinda accept the half-human being named Paige since the name could have come from her human parent, but still, it's ridiculous.

2) The author spends a lot of time telling us how smart and a
Tony Hinde
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Weak sauce.

This story, set several hundred years in the future, could be translated to North America 20 years ago with only minor editing. A self-driving car is shocking and unusual. They can't translate common languages on the fly. People are tracked-down by canvassing door to door.

In the first chapter, we are introduced to a ground-breaking A.I. which arrives fully mature, but for some reason, halts its development at the human level. No singularity for you. At one point the story goes on for
Jennifer Geise
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next book!

Ok, let me just state that I am a huge Michael Anderle fan. I have literally read every book in his rapidly expanding universe, and I am beyond thrilled with Awakened: Age of Expansion. I think it has great potential to be my favorite series in the Kutherian Universe except for the main/ original arc. I really enjoy reading a book where the MC doesn't have all the answers and shows great potential for growth in all aspects of his/her life... Even better, she's​ a ner
DWR
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry. I didn't like Molly.

I made it through 15% of the book. I didn't appreciate the character of the main character. She has no moral fiber, no integrity, no compassion and is entirely self-centered. She is a typically over-powered character (in the Kurtherian universe), but lacks the pathos that makes some of the other similar characters bearable. There is a substantial backstory that was disclosed too slowly, making it difficult to follow the plot and character motivations. The dialogue was
Robert Hart
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to an excellent series. This series is an offshoot from the Kurtherian series that stats with Death Becomes Her. I happened to read this series before I read any of the Bethany Ann books, so I was a bit in the dark at first, but it didn't really matter when all was said and done (or read). This is a stand alone series that has some characters in common with the Bethany Ann series.

Overall, the plot line develops well throughout the series and is a great addition to the Kurtheri
Linzi
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A review of this would be muddled so I'll come back to it because I liked it enough to listen to the next one. This is more a reminder to myself

I had issues with the narrator - she sounds quite the wrong age for our heroine and it kept throwing me out of the story. I also disliked how every character she wasn't sure about had a horrendous cockney/mockney or estuary accent.. however she read competently - other points not withstanding.

I also had issues with the lack of constant characterisation
Mark
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How could you not like underdog Molly? How could you not love her as she stumbles through the first of many adventures, feeling like an outcast most of the time?

This was a fun romp, with intriguing twists, suspense, and action. The narrator's handle on the various characters was excellent, throughout and the audio book came with a fun surprise. The narrator sharing her behind the scenes perspective on the book (along with a fun hometown beer tip), and the authors, Ell Leigh, and Michael, sharing
John DeBlanc
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, as far as reviews goes, this one is going to be kind of weak, because I am 7.5 books into the series (if you include Giles) and am finally getting around to writing the reviews. How good is Ell? About as good as it gets, if you are not a fan yet, you will be. I am pretty good about reviewing books as I read them, it means a lot to the author and it means a lot to me as the reader that they at least get some acknowledgement from me for a job well done, other than when i get to fan boy out o ...more
Frank Bertino
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, Fun Read

Molly is a sympathetic compelling super genius still finding her moral compass. Fortunately she has Joel and her AI. Her AI came into being while she was experimenting with writing computer code while drinking. Unknown to her at the time, the AI came into sentience attached to her mind. I really liked the references to Bethany Ann who is her idol. I like the humor and creative use of swearing. Is Gaitune-67 actually the Meredith Reynolds Base? The book really gripped me and I a
Natalie Roberts
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way to go Ell!

Molly- representing all us clever but socially unblessed ones she took me by surprise! I was expecting mini-BA but she's just like any of us, trying to do what's right in a world that makes no sense. Blending seamlessly into the KGU I felt at home from the beginning of Awakened and I can't wait to find out what BA left behind the door in the basement and getting to know more about the other characters (the fortune teller? Intriguing...). As always, love the author's notes at the e
Sarah Crawford
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
What you have here is a science fiction book about a woman (Molly) whose brain is interwoven with an artificial intelligence. She has left the military and teams with a guy named Jack. Together they set off on a plan to right wrongs, particularly those done by a group called The Syndicate. They recruit others, get their own spaceship, relocate, have a series of run-ins with the evil Syndicate people, and continue to make plans for the future.

It just never really captured my interest. The interp
Alastar
Awesome

Awakened is an awesome story by new comer Ell Leigh Clarke, and the heroine Flight Sergeant Molly Bates is a young woman who was broken in spirit, and seemingly drifting through life. Molly is a wonderful combination of Bethany Anne and Tabitha, and yet unique in her own way. Loved reading her first adventure and I am awaiting her next one. Highly recommend this book as a wonderful addition to the TKG Universe.
Jack
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really Good Reading!

I have eagerly read all of the KG series as each came out. A fast reader, I generally finish each book the day I get it. I have always been an avid reader but now that I am retired I am obsessive!

This new addition to the KG empire is one of the best yet. Fast paced, fun, great action and quality writing style combine to make Awakened a book well worth reading.
Scott
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reasonable star0t

Based in the MA universe and with frequent references to BA and the Etheric Empire days you can see hints about how this will fit into the previous MA series.
Molly is a different character as is the supporting cast and so looks to be a worthwhile investment in time as her working through her problems and antagonists means reader involvement and if i say so a bit more geek which is all to the good.
Larry Plemmons
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic story in a well written book! Anything I have read, involving Michael Anderle with the outstanding co-authors he picks has been top notch material! High kudos to Ell Leigh Clarke for taking on a character (Molly) and yet professing to know so little about Science Fiction. For someone who didn't write Science-Fiction before, she did a sweet job of it. I highly recommend this book! ...more
kristi wilson
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For those that read Bethany Ann...know that another has been found.

A little off beat, a little off course but totally going to kick your butt. Molly is struggling to find herself and trying hard to be right. Even when she slips she wants to be right. These book is a great beginning to adventure.
Marvin Gabonewe
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot, especially molly. She's very different from most of The Kurtherian Gambit characters I'm used to from this universe. She is someone who still has a lot of growing to do as a person and as a leader.

I'm not normally a person who takes time to write reviews, but I had to put out there how much I loved this book and looking forward to reading more from this series.
Juniper
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I hate to give this book a three stars because I know that I would have loved it if it way more 'my' type of book. Awakened: Age Of Expansion is a good book, no doubt there, but I sadly didn't get that kind of buzzed feeling if you know what I mean, (probably not, I do often consider the possibility that i'm addicted to books). Anyways, the story was nice, I just wasn't feeling it. ...more
Nipa
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Start!

I have liked this series since I read the first snippet. The characters are likeable and flawed. I loved seeing Molly's mature and come to understand that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Looking forward to the next book. Excellent addition to The Kurtherian Universe!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Liberation: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (The Bad Company, #4)
  • Blockade: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (The Bad Company, #2)
  • Death Defied: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Valerie’s Elites, #2)
  • Price of Freedom: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (The Bad Company, #3)
  • Prime Enforcer: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Valerie’s Elites, #3)
  • Justice Earned: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Valerie’s Elites, #4)
  • Gateway To The Universe: In Bad Company
  • The Darkest Night (The Second Dark Ages #2)
  • Valerie’s Elites: Age of Expansion (Valerie’s Elites #1)
  • The Bad Company: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Bad Company, #1)
  • Dawn Arrives (The Second Dark Ages, #4)
  • Through The Fire and Flame (The Kurtherian Endgame, #3)
  • Darkest Before the Dawn (The Second Dark Ages #3)
  • Nomad's Galaxy: A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Terry Henry Walton Chronicles, #10)
  • Compelling Evidence (The Kurtherian Endgame, #2)
  • All’s Fair in Blood and War (The Kurtherian Endgame, #4)
  • Challenges (Frank Kurns Stories of the UnknownWorld, #4)
  • Nomad Mortis (Kurtherian Gambit: Terry Henry Walton Chronicles #8)
Relapsing theoretical physicist, professional geek, sci fi novelist, and Doctor Who fan.

Though she is originally from England, she is mostly what her friends call a “digital nomad”, hanging in whichever country calls to her… as long as it has good wifi, and coffee.

@ellleighclarke

Official Ell Leigh Clarke Fan Club for book discussions and shenanigans: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ellle... Join U

Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Activated (Kurtherian Gambit: Age Of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #2)
  • Called (Kurtherian Gambit: Age Of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #3)
  • Sanctioned (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #4)
  • Rebirth (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #5)
  • Retribution (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #6)
  • Cloaked (Kurtherian Gambit: Age Of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #7)
  • Giles Kurns: Rogue Operator: Age Of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Confessions Of A Space Anthropologist, #1)
  • Bourne (Kurtherian Gambit Series: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, #8)
  • Giles Kurns: Rogue Instigator: Age Of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Confessions Of A Space Anthropologist, #2)
  • Committed (Kurtherian Gambit: Age of Expansion: The Ascension Myth, # 9)

News & Interviews