Start by marking “My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor: A Short Horror Story” as Want to Read:
My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor: A Short Horror Story

My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor: A Short Horror Story

Henry Newhart has a lot of problems. His wife believes she is part dog, his gooseneck lamp has a mind of its own, and on top of that, he has a severe case of writer's block.
Paperback, 1st Edition, 25 pages
Published May 12th 2017 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor

Miranda Reads
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just the right dose of creepy.
His wife, Ann, is sitting cross legged on the floor in her yellow floral print dress...her bright red lipstick smeared across her face like the rictus grin of a circus clown.
Henry, an aspiring author, is in a situation spiraling horribly out of control. His once vibrant, beautiful and loving wife is a shell of her former self. While he loves the memory of her, he absolutely cannot stand what she has become:
She lifts her head finally and barks like a dog.
As He
Rebecca McNutt
May 11, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A short story about a reclusive man living with his mentally ill wife in a housing project, trying to write a novel only to find that he soon has much weirder problems coming after him.
Karl
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Horror arrives in many forms. In Rebecca McNutt's story "My Wife Eats From A Dish on the Floor: A Short Horror Story" the horror arrives in a form which will sadly inflict many of us as we approach the autumn of our lives.

In this tale, Henry and Ann live in a housing project they can barely afford, subsiding on Spaghetti-O's from tin cans, living off of disability allotments and food stamps. They sleep on a mattress smelling of vomit and worse.

Yet Henry wants to be a writer trying to compose a
Bill Lynas
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Henry Newhart is suffering from writer's block. He eats Spaghetti-O's straight from the can, while his wife sits on the floor looking "as utterly creepy as Johnny Depp's version of Willy Wonka" in this odd short story from Rebecca McNutt.
Once again here is an author producing work with a maturity far beyond her years. This is perhaps her most offbeat tale so far, but is as absorbing as ever.
Luke Taylor
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sensational tale of insanity from Canadian national treasure Rebecca McNutt, this short story reads as a cautionary tale in more ways than one. Filled with moody atmosphere and wonderfully vivid prose, McNutt's work is always evocative and intriguing and gives you something to think about long after you've finished it.
Janie C.
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A twisted little tale involving a writer, his delusional wife and an animated desk lamp. In this case, aberrance is in the eye of the beholder. Or is it?

The author provided me with an e-copy of this story in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks.
Jane Bates
Spine-tingling madness from author Rebecca McNutt once again. I was afraid of the lamp, though. It was described as a snake almost!
Eli Connors
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This reminded me a lot of Naked Lunch in the way that the main character's struggle is almost poetic and artistic in nature. This is a very good short story, but emphasis on short.
Bob Morse
The title sounds like some sort of S/M thing, but actually this book is a really good horror story on the subject of writer's block, and how writers, try as they might not to, will always bring pieces of their own life into their work.
Opal Stevens
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a short horror story that blends the heavy topic of mental disease with crime and delusions. Who is more off their rocker - Henry, or his wife?
Mattie Spears
More of McNutt's horror prose, this time grounded more in a crime scenario than her usual selection of abandoned factories and old industrial buildings. What I found scary is that I emailed her about the gooseneck lamp on the front cover of the book - Rebecca McNutt owns that lamp and rescued it when her neighbors wanted to throw it away a number of years ago. O_O
Wanda Raine Hedare
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
MWEFADOTF (a mouthful to spell out the title) left me asking what the f_ck!? when I read it a few weeks ago, but it's a great analogy for the aggravation of writer's block and it's not all dark horror. It's got a light splash of black comedy too. I like Rebecca's full-on novels better but this wasn't bad.
Penny Maiken
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again with McNutt's works very disturbing, but I did like how it brings up the subject of mental illness. Henry ignores that his wife needs help, and he pays the price sooner or later.
Rogene Carter
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
A very well-written and interesting premise that really could have benefitted from about 100 more pages. I was so interested in what mental illness caused someone to feel that they were part canine and how that manifested over an extended period of time. Also, the main plot wasn't explained well enough for me to be scared of it. Overall, good writing but really lacking.
Angela
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One giant mindfuck for me amd I loved it!
Rubin Vaughn
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHOA. WHOA. WHOA. A wife who believes she's a dog???
I'm SO happy about getting this for free because it was chilling and just what I needed for the ride to work! An honest portrayal of severe mental illness and the mental anguish of a writer who can't get his thoughts down on paper.
Yuki Burton
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm guessing Ms. McNutt wrote this during a bout of writer's block herself. The irony is delicious in the story, the crazy one thinking he has a crazy wife.

Egads, that lamp!
Maja
Feb 27, 2018
Ari
Mar 21, 2018
There's not a lot to say about me, really. Born in 1998, I'm a student by day, fiction author on the side, certified as a library technician and studying to be a lawyer one day. I'm a graduate of the Nova Scotia Community College (I attended from 2016 to 2018), currently majoring in Law, Justice and Society (BA) and studying law and politics at Dalhousie University. I've published many books under ...more