Start by marking “The Undercurrent” as Want to Read:
The Undercurrent

The Undercurrent

Eighteen-year-old Julianne De Marchi is different. As in: she has an electrical undercurrent beneath her skin that stings and surges like a live wire. She can use it—to spark a fire, maybe even end a life—but she doesn’t understand what it is. And she can barely control it, especially when she’s anxious.

Ryan Walsh was on track for a stellar football career when his knee bl
Published July 31st 2017 by Text Publishing

Start your review of The Undercurrent
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveozya, text
The Rephaim series was groundbreaking for fantasy young adult literature, much in the same way that Melina Marchetta brought Australian young adult contemporary to the world. The Undercurrent is no exception. A captivating and consuming science fiction narrative anchored within an innovative Australian environment.

I heart Paula Weston. To the moon and back.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Set in a techno-futuristic world where corporations rule, The Undercurrent explores a time in the near future when teenage girl can wield electricity from her own hands. She’s protected by a soldier called Ryan, but what does the military want with her? Why are the Agitators after her?

The Undercurrent is frightfully accurate as it feels like it could happen at anytime. Between the military, the government and the sinister Pa
nick
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

Well, that was one heck of a ride.

I’ve been in love with Paula Weston’s writing and books ever since I read Shadows, the first book in one of my all-time favorite series, The Rephaim. With The Undercurrent, a standalone, Weston delves into an entirely different genre, but once again, she has penned an engaging and thrilling story.

If The Undercurrent had been written by any other author, I would have skipped it because it’s a futuristic thriller, and I personally tend to struggle with those. The
Pat
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - I couldn't put this down. It's stunning!
Nadia King
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly electrifying - review to come.
Lauren
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in Australia several years in the future, this book starts almost right away with action and has a lot going on. Big corporations with greedy agendas, government secrets, fed up protesters, and the electricity surging under Jules' skin all combine for an explosive ending. Although I always looked forward to Jules and Ryan's narrative, I like the realism in the story in Jules and her mom's close relationship and the role Angie plays in the book. As I've come to expect in Weston's books, this ...more
Tara
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a ride!! Paula Weston is one of my favourite authors and The Undercurrent did not disappoint. I instantly connected with Jules and felt her pain and anger as well as her love for her mother. It also felt like I was reading at full throttle from the beginning, getting through the book in three sittings but I think I was holding my breath the whole time, just waiting to see what on earth was going to happen next. Ryan was another character I connected with (and yes i developed a crush) a ...more
Lulai
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most original book I have read but a lot of fun.
You will like if you like YA thriller with action, a bit of scifi and a good romance.
Text Publishing
‘This LoveOzYA Sci-Fi is sure to please with its sweet romantic subplot and poignant back drop of a not-so-distant future Australia.’
The Adventures of Sacakat

‘Late for dinner, late for work, late late late. Thanks so much, Paula Weston. I picked upShimmer and forgot everything else.’
Adelaide Advertiser

‘Superbly written, action-packed fiction with interesting, brilliantly flawed characters.’
Fictional Thoughts

‘Some books you crave. You keep returning to the cover art and re-reading the blurb, you
Madison
The Undercurrent is a fantastic book, Australian futuristic, speculative sci-fi at its very best. Paula Weston delivers on action, family dynamics, politics, environmental destruction, romance with chemistry that is off-the-charts hot, and a genuine Aussie-ness that made me feel totally at home among the gumtrees.

Julianne De Marchi knows she is a little different from everyone else. No one else has an electrical undercurrent inside them, a current that seems impossible to control and is deadly t
Shaheen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-not-on-shelf
It's no secret that I love Paula Weston's books. Her writing has a wonderful flair, and her stories are the perfect balance of humour and action, romance and friendship, adventure and introspection. So you can imagine my excitement when I walked into a bookstore and saw The Undercurrent, only being vaguely aware that a new book was coming sometime in July or August.

I devoured The Undercurrent. I would have read it in one sitting except that my health isn't what it used to be. Instead, I read it
TheMadHatter
I went to a book signing a few years ago and picked up five (signed) books by this author. Unfortunately, this has sat on the shelf with the 1000 other books calling out to be read for a few years now.....until now (this is why I love reading challenges - forces you to tackle that TBR).

This book is set in the not to distant future (10-20 years?) and is predominantly set in Brisbane and country South Australia. It is at a time when to make extra money the government hire out the defence force to
Sharon
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text, 2017, arc
Review: 3 ½ out of 5 stars

Paula Weston’s Rephaim series is one of my all-time favourite YA series! So I was extremely excited to receive a review copy of Undercurrent from Text Publishing. Even more excited to see that I had been quoted on the back of the book (happy dance!).

One thing about this book that shocked me is how realistic it actually was! I can see everything happening in this book actually coming to fruition in the not too distant future which is really alarming.

Undercurrent is a boo
Pam (YA Escape)
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. Definitely fast paced.
Ari
Apr 07, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All that I found a while back about this book...

SYNOPSIS:

Ryan Walsh was on track for a stellar football career when his knee blew out. Now he’s asoldier—part of an experimental privatised mili
Christine Bongers
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-ya, thriller
Paula Weston's new spec fiction thriller is a high-voltage ride through a futuristic Australia where government agencies, big business and a privatised military unit battle over a teenage girl whose existence threatens global business interests. Sizzling with narrative energy, sexual tension and engaging characters, The Undercurrent is a smart and sassy addition to Weston's already impressive body of work. Brisneylanders, please join me in conversation with Paula Weston at Riverbend Books on 3 A ...more
Rayna
"Another explosion and the stairs shudder. People scream. Ryan can't tell if the detonations are intended to bring the place down or are just a diversion. He doesn't have enough experience with explosives to know the difference."

I think the thing that stopped me from loving this more is that it reads like an action movie.

Which is to say there's a fast plot, some interesting characters and a big-bad villain behind the scenes. But everything felt a little rushed, and I didn't connect with the
Cassandra Page
Paula Weston is one of my most favourite discoveries from the last few years. I've raved about her Rephaim series plenty of times, and I was very excited (and also a little embarrassed) when I discovered she'd released this gem a few months ago and I hadn't heard about it. Needless to say, it went to the top of my TBR pile.

The Undercurrent is a futuristic thriller, set a few decades from now in a dystopian Australia where corporations' influence has grown to the point that they are the driving f
N Yen
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-anticipates
3.25 stars. When I just finished this novel, I didn't quite know what to think of it. Before, I had wanted to like it as much as I did her Rephaim series - and there were indeed aspects of the book which I liked - but it didn't quite live up to the hype I created.

What I liked:
-The military style aspects of the book without leaning too dystopian, which was refreshing to see in the YA genre. It was interesting to see the interplay between the more militaristic aspects of the book and scenes of the
D.M. Cameron
Paula Weston has done it again. Sharp, crisp prose that rolls along, continually raising the stakes for characters you begin to really care about until you can't put the book down, until you find your heart thumping along in time with the fast paced action and ultimate electrifying and emotional conclusion. If you like fast paced action, well rounded characters and a political edge, you are going to love this book!
Amber
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars-Another compelling story by this author. I was totally invested in Jules and her mom and everything they went to. I wasn't as into the romantic side of this book as I wanted to be but over all it was really good and I'd recommend it.
Trisha
What a ride!! Gripping and tense.

Loved the MCs. Great matching pair.
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters and the Australian-ness of the setting. There were some interesting themes around climate change, genetic modification and activism.
Amanda
DNF @ approx. 35% :( I'll give more details on why once the embargo date has passed.
Elena
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Electrifying story with unpredictable turns and superpower in action. I highly recommend it to teenagers/ young adults.
MBF
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I felt that the characters were interesting but the plot was a little slow and a bit boring.
Bec
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared on Readers in Wonderland

5 THINGS ABOUT THE UNDERCURRENT
#LoveOzYA
Paula Weston is a #LoveOzYA author I’ve seen a lot of, but haven’t read before now. And I must say I really enjoyed THE UNDERCURRENT! Especially since it is set in a very near future Australia (only 20 or so years in the future), and features locations that I’ve visited myself. And not just big cities, I’m talking obscure country towns I’ve stopped at for breaks on road trips (Coonabarabran is a freque
Rachel
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-2018-read
Liked the supporting cast a lot, and thankfully they get quite a bit of page-time (so much that they're less supporting and more of an ensemble). But Jules and Ryan were boring, and they're more than half of this book.

I'm disappointed yo, cause I love Weston's Rephaim series so damn much.
Elisey
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SYNPOSIS:
Jules lives with her mother, Angela DeMarchi in a not-too-distant on-the-verge-of-an-apocalypse Australia. In this new future, big corporations rule GMOs, energy resources, the media, farmers and even the Australian army.

Jules is grieving for her late soldier/father while her mother struggles to make ends meet now that she’s a reformed head protester of a group called the Agitators (who are pretty ‘agitated’ with the current state of affairs in Aussie).

But Jules and her mother are also
AmeliaAdriannaBooks
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mine
I was very worried by the blurb of this book. I feared that the romance would be forced and it would turn into an we-just-met-but-let's-make-out-in-this-elevator situation. Which it didn't, thankfully. However, I still found the romance a little fast paced and I got lost towards the end of the book.

I really liked how Australian this book was (I wonder how non-Australians interpreted it, though) and it was set in a future that was probable and interesting. I could really picture the settings of t
« previous 1 3 next »

• After the Lights Go Out
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • Take Three Girls
  • This is How We Change the Ending
  • The Things She's Seen
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Small Spaces
  • The Princess Trials (The Princess Trials, #1)
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • Together We Caught Fire
  • A Breath Too Late
  • The Things That Will Not Stand
Paula Weston is the author of the Rephaim series (Shadows, Haze, Shimmer and Burn). The Undercurrent, a stand-alone speculative thriller set in near-future Australia, is now available in Australia and New Zealand.

Paula worked as a print journalist for many years before becoming a government media and communication specialist. Today she also co-owns a two-woman communication and design agency.

She g