Start by marking “The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)” as Want to Read:
The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)

The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)

Without, the night was cold and wet, but in the small parlour of Laburnam Villa the blinds were drawn and the fire burned brightly. Father and son were at chess, the former, who possessed ideas about the game involving radical changes, putting his king into such sharp and unnecessary perils that it even provoked comment from the white-haired old lady knitting placidly by ...more
Paperback, Oxford Bookworms Stage 1, 30 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Not Avail (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Monkey's Paw, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shania Love
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
Bettie
Opening: Without, the night was cold and wet, but in the small parlour of Laburnam Villa the blinds were drawn and the fire burned brightly. Father and son were at chess, the former, who possessed ideas about the game involving radical changes, putting his king into such sharp and unnecessary perils that it even provoked comment from the white-haired old lady knitting placidly by the fire.

One of those brilliant tales that had my troop of Girl Guides happily squirming at the bonfire burnt sausage
Marvin
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-fiction
What is the most anthologized piece of short horror fiction ever?

I'll give you a hint. It is not anything by Poe.

That's right. The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacob. Say whatever you want about this old warhorse. However, it was often the first real horror story many of us had read. It is responsible for a lot of nightmares throughout its more than a hundred years of scaring people. Not to mention it is responsible for one of the best parodies from The Simpson's Halloween episodes.

If you have never
Simin Yadegar
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tmelica
Shelves: horror
A happy family and a monkey's paw which brings misfortune
Vivian
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Part of an awesome curriculum in our English literature for 6th grade. Gotta love a school that thinks this, The Lottery, and The Most Dangerous Game were good pieces for us to read. YES!

AND Lamb to the Slaughter! Can't believe I forgot that one.
Ruth
Jan 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is an unsettling tale of being careful what you wish for. It is morbid and depressing. When I listened to it in school, the fact that the audio included sound effects like rushing wind didn't help either. Creepy things are not for me.
Janete
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, favorites
text + audio = wonderful way to reading and learning English. This story is creepy.
Amber
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a pretty good audiobook about a monkey's paw that grants wishes and what happened when an elderly couple made their wishes on it not knowing the consequences of them. I listened to the audiobook on Gutenberg.org . Definitely check out this scary short story out for yourself.
April
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door..."

description

Throughout this story those words by Frederic Brown rang in my head. The Monkey's Paw delivers the same cutting-edge tension and
horror, wrapped in fear of the unknown and somewhat humorous irony. It's blatantly obvious the amount classic chillers can offer, especially the shorts. 10 pages of this will almost without doubt have you on the edge of your seat up until the last line. A little beauty for fans of the horror
Edwin Arnaudin
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "Never-Ending Book Quiz" reminded me of this fascinating short story that I read sometime back in the day (middle or high school?). Rediscovering great mandatory reads like this makes me wonder what other short stories I've read in class, loved, and have forgotten.

Has this happened to anyone else?
fatima pure
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is a very interesting horror imaginary short story!!<3. What I like the most is the fact that it is suspenseful and attractive because of the unexpected events that took place all along the story .it is about a curst paw of a dead monkey that has the power of granting its possessor three wishes. The story is about a family that asked for more then what they needed ;as a punishment to their greedy and selfishness ,they lost more than what they asked for .It also reflect the era of the ...more
Melissa
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
My school teacher read this to our class for Halloween one year when I was in junior high. For years, I remembered neither the title nor the author. But I remembered the story. Recently, I came across a description of The Monkey’s Paw on Amazon. I sat up, recalled it from school, and exclaimed at my computer, “That’s it!”

The Monkey’s Paw is a short story about a family who has a visit from a man possessing a strange monkey’s paw. The paw is supposed to grant three wishes. But be careful what you
Michicachan999
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great short story. What I believe the moral is trying to say here is that you can't have everything at the snap of a finger (no pun!). There has to be a consequence if you're going to get something without earning/working for it. It starts off slow and very inconspicuous...but around the middle of part II starts to get creepy and send chills down your spin. Don't read this story alone in the dark..it may scar you for a while!
Madeline
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story for October......creepy.
Realini
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Monkey’s Paw by W.W. Jacobs

This is a very good short story, by an author I had been unaware of, before reading The Monkey’s Paw.
Superstition is not my cup of tea, but there are stories that make me wonder and doubt. Even if this is fiction, there are some “real stories” which can be explained by coincidence, placebo effect and other natural causes. But it is difficult not to think of dark powers.
The guests come in this house with a monkey’s paw, brought from a distant place, with strange
Miriam
Jun 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
This was a scary story! I had to read this a while back for an english class and I was creaped out. I hate the ending and the climax.... I can still picture it in my head to this day...the way the son's dead body must have looked, banging on the dorr, while the mother tried to open the door... the father desperately looking for the monkey paw... scary is the word. I am only giving this a1 star because I didn't like the story, nothing against the way it was written or the style... in fact this ...more
Jason
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
My review will also be adapted by Diane Mowat, after I finish it.

I am looking forward to reading her adaptation of my review of her adaptation. Moral of this story: Be careful what you wish for!

isabelle
When Herbert died I was just like:

description
Nehal Gupta
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Monkey’s Paw by W.W Jacobs is one of the best horror stories I’ve read in a while. It is a story which relies on a sinister and creepy setting rather than on cheap thrills and chills. It is not a story which has much violence, gore or blood; rather, the matter-of-fact way of narration sends a chill down your spine. There is not much action or drama, but the quiet, lingering narrative hooks you completely to the narrative. The story depicts how we must be careful of what we wish and how our ...more
Soobin Park
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This story made me so exited. I got goose bumps while i was reading.
There was a warm, confident house which Mr&Mrs White and their friendly son lived. One day a visitor of Mr. White visited their house. He was a soldier in India for 22 years, so he had great, funny stories of his life. One of the story was about monkey's paw. "If you hold it in your right hand and make a wish, it becomes true. However, it also brings unhappiness. You can make only 3 wishes" Then the visitor showed the paw to
Lilyan
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh My God! The Monkeys Paw! I was randomly browsing good reads and came upon this. I read this in elementary school, I LOVED it. It gave me the creeps. I actually own a little monkey's paw necklace that always reminds me f this book. I like to pretend my necklace grants me wishes... HARMLESS ones :P. I think this is a great school read with a moral behind it.
Emily
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ugh, I love this story. It's just wonderful. I remember reading it several times throughout high school and loving it each time. I remember my junior year, my teacher said we'd be reading it and I realized what it was and I got excited to read it again. I need to find a copy to refresh my memory on it.
Billmatt
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ah, middle-school english class nostalgia. The Monkey's Paw is a great piece; the theme is pretty simple, but it's written in a really chilling way that gets to you when you're young. Heck, it still gets to me now.
Assala Mihoubi
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
very interesting story!!
first of all, you think it's a story based on the theory of the three wishes, but soon after reading till the end you 're like : totally shocked, and the most thrilling thing is that you are the one to decide or create the ending of the story.
Jonathan
I think I was in grade 3 or 4 when I first had this story read to me. My teacher also showed the class a movie version of this on Halloween. My young mind created horrible images of a mutilated young man knocking on my bedroom door every night for a long, long time.
Merary
I like how incredibly suspenseful and provoking this short story is.
It shows that you should be really, REALLY careful on what you wish for.
The Whites should have known that a long time ago.

By the way, you're a jerkass, Mr. Sergeant-Major Morris. THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!
Veronica
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
I think I read this in school many years ago, and just wanted to refresh my memory one more time. I love this story, it's spooky, I can't stop picturing the paw. How disgusting yet captivating.
Ewan Li
The story of The MOnkey's Paw is mystery story.
Akahayla
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it to the core. It actually gave me chills. The whole atmosphere created in it was beautiful! a MUST READ BOOK.
Pink (Shine)
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read this for my HomeSchool. This is my only favorite Horror/Gothic book. I was so INTENSED while reading it.
Jitendra
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Great story. you can call it a short horror story. short and scintillating !!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Lottery
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Graphic Novel)
  • The Story of an Hour