Start by marking “Broken Branches” as Want to Read:
Broken Branches

Broken Branches

'Family curses don't exist. Sure, some families seem to suffer more pain than others, but a curse? An actual curse? I don't think so.'

A family tragedy was the catalyst for Ian Perkins to return to the isolated cottage with his wife and young son. But now they are back, it seems yet more grief might befall the family.

There is still time to act, but that means Ian must face
Published July 27th 2017 by Hideaway Fall

To ask other readers questions about Broken Branches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Branches

Dash fan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy, profile
4☆ Atmospheric, Dark, Physiological Mystery with a hint of supernatural!

Broken Branches is M.Jonathan Lee's Debut book with the Upcoming Exciting New Publishers....Hideaway Falls.

Broken Branches is full of Mystery, it's very atmospheric, Dark, Spooky, a supernatural feel, it's intriguing, it deals with emotional issues, mental health, grief, loss and depression, whilst capturing the eerie nature of the family curse, keeping me engrossed turning the pages to discover the secrets.

When Ian and he's
Miriam Smith
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hideaway Fall is the new face in the world of publishing and their first book "Broken Branches" by M.Jonathan Lee is a cracker of a story to launch them!
My interest was caught from the very first chapter, the eerie description of the 'cursed' tree was perfectly characterised for the setting of the story and I couldn't have imagined it more clearer if I tried.

A family tragedy forces Ian Perkins and his wife and young son to return to his parents isolated cottage . But now they are back, it seems
Whispering Stories
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ian Perkins has returned to the home he grew up in, with his wife Rachel and son Harry. The house has always had an eerie feel to Ian, and returning all these years later resurfaces those feelings for him.

He believes that there may be a curse surrounding his family, mainly due to the many accidents and tragedies that have occurred. Surely too many to be a coincidence?

Deciding that it is time to delve a little deeper, he starts looking into his family tree, but he soon becomes obsessed, leaving r
Joanne Robertson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Many thanks to Hideaway Falls for my review copy of Broken Branches which I was very much looking forward to reading after seeing some fabulous reviews.

This is very much a slow burner so anyone expecting a gripping fast paced thriller will be very disappointed. But it is definitely an engrossing read and once you start it, you will find it very hard to put it down. Even though there's a real atmospheric chill running through it, it's impossible to tear your eyes away from the page as you watch a
Catherine ♡
*Thank you to Hideaway Fall for sending me a free copy and exchange for an honest review!*

Actual Rating: 3.75

This book was completely different from what I had expected. Several Goodreads users have filed this under horror, mystery, or fantasy, but to be honest I'm not sure I would put it in any of those categories. There was a Gothic twist to it, but the book also felt a bit contemporary. Overall, it was different from anything I've heard ever read before.

Broken Branches follow Ian Perkins. It
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
I had eagerly awaited the arrival of Broken Branches from new publishers, Hideaway Fall, so I was looking forward to getting stuck into this book.

Centered around a family curse, Broken Branches is told in alternating past and present chapters. The reader meets Ian and his young family but we also meet Ian when he was a boy living with his parents and brother in the house that he now lives in years later with his family.

The family have always seemed to be unlucky, with accidents and death befalli
Liz
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I would like to note here my gratitude to all at Hideaway Fall for accepting me into the fold as a reviewer and sending a paperback of Broken Branches! Thank you also to M. Jonathan Lee… for writing this book, and sending it out into the wide world.

Broken Branches is about a curse… What is a curse? Is it something magical? Is it something we bring upon ourselves? Is it something we imagine to exist? Is it something that just happens in life and we think it’s a curse just to cope? W
Christine
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Broken Branches is a novel by M. Jonathan Lee. Billed as a psychological thriller, it feels more like an indepth study into grief, loss and mental distress.

Ian Perkins lives with his wife and young son, in a family cottage. He has inherited the family home, following the suicide of his cousin. Ian has been rather estranged from his family. He has kept them at a distance, feeling very much like an outsider. We slowly get a sense of how this has happened, through the past narratives of Ian. Ian be
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I loved the setting for this story. Who doesn’t dream of a lovely home out in the country? Sadly though every family that has lived there has suffered a tragedy.

The story jumps from past, to Ian’s childhood, to present day. Even though this was kind of done by each chapter alternating, there was nothing actually stating that it was past and present and personally I think it may have been better if there was some sort of header just to say as it was slightly confusing to begin with.

To start with
Caitlyn Lynch
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
There has been a lot of buzz about Broken Branches, the first offering from new publisher Hideaway Fall, and it’s a book worth talking about. A suspenseful psychological thriller, the book follows Ian Perkins, a young father who inherits Cobweb Cottage, his family’s historic home, after his brother’s untimely death.

Tragedy has haunted the Perkins family for generations, and Ian is convinced that there is a family curse. He sets out to prove its existence, but will the proof come at the cost of h
Eva
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Following a family tragedy, Ian returns to the cottage where he grew up. Convinced a curse is responsible, he digs deep to unearth various events in his family’s past to create a family tree. But curses don’t exist, do they?

First of all, let me just say how much I liked the fact that the title doesn’t just refer to the humongous Sycamore tree by the cottage but also to the various broken branches of the family that Ian is investigating. One of those I feel could have been explored more as I’d lo
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
I’m not gonna lie, it was the hype surrounding Broken Branches that initially drew me to it. After reading the deliberately vague blurb and seeing so many people love it, I was so happy to receive a copy from the publisher to read and review that I pushed it up my TBR to read right away!

Then I sat down to start it. Read one chapter. Thought, Oh no, this is not my kind of book… and proceeded to ignore it for almost three full days. When I finally returned to it, with fresh eyes and determined to
Meggy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

Some books you remember because of their plots. Other for their characters. A few for their writing. There is always something special that stays with you. Broken Branches made me fall for its words.

I had not idea where I was setting foot when I started the book. I had categorically refused to read the blurb, letting my mind cling to the beautiful, inspiring and somewhat sad cover instead. The surprise was big, challenging, and complete.

Ian is looking for answers. A big fat tree, a cottage, dyi

Betty
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Perkins family is cursed, and Ian Perkins—the current resident of the family’s ancestral home, Cobweb Cottage—is determined to prove it. But what, exactly, is this curse? Is it real? And if it is—how has it affected Ian, his wife, Rachel, and their son, Harry?

Broken Branches has the feel of a modern-day Gothic, but it’s the huge tree in front of the house—rather than the house itself—that is the menacing presence. All the creepiest and most disturbing things that happens in the book is tied
Danielle N
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, mystery
This is a story of grief and loss. This is the mystery of the Perkins’ family history and the curse they have carried told through a compelling narration of past and present. We are introduced to Ian Perkins as he finds himself returning to his family home with his wife and son after a suffering a loss. Unfortunately, the Perkins are not alone. A dark history and tragedy seem to have taken up permanent residence within this remote cottage, overshadowing the lives within like the ever-present and ...more
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
The hype for Broken Branches on social media has been wonderful, the first book from new publishers Hideaway Falls and I was really excited to be able to read it.

Ian Perkins returns to his family home Cobweb Cottage with his wife and son after a family tragedy. This is a home that has a family curse, a home that has haunted the Perkins family for many years and a home that has many secrets. Ian sets about discovering more to this family curse and as the story unfolds the more unsettled I felt.

Th
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

So. This is quite a difficult review to write - or to know where to start writing - because Broken Branches left me thinking it long after I'd finished it. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll try to keep my review suitably vague...

The narrative focuses mainly on Ian and his life with wife Rachel and son Harry, though there are parts told from other perspectives too. Ian's determined to trace his family history and find out more about this curse tha
Cathy
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find all my book reviews plus author interviews, excerpts and giveaways on my blog: https://whatcathyreadnext.wordpress.com/

This is the first title from newly established publishers, Hideaway Fall, and I must say they have come up with a cracker.

Following his marriage to Rachel and the birth of his son, Harry, Ian Perkins has unexpectedly returned to the isolated cottage where he spent his childhood. Despite the idyllic sounding location, the giant sycamore in the garden exercises a brooding pre
Lainy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - on and off over 3 days

Pages - 294

Publisher - Hideaway Fall

Blurb from Goodreads

There is still time to act, but that means Ian must face the uncomfortable truth ab
Emma Mitchell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ten out of ten for building such a creepy, uneasy atmosphere from the first page Mr Lee!!!
Wow! Broken Branches has it all, intrigue, a dodgy cottage, a creepy tree, a family secret (or twenty), death, a curse, and yes, a broken branch.
Changing between timelines, we see Ian and his wife, Rachel, as they are now, then jump back in time to see how they got to become the couple they are. We see them in their youth as a loved up pair in the first throes of a new relationship and then we see them now,
Linda Hill
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Following a family tragedy, Ian Perkins is back in his childhood home with the menacing sycamore tree lowering over his whole life.

I don’t usually read books with any form of supernatural element and I wasn’t sure if a book about a curse would appeal to me. However, I was drawn in to Broken Branches immediately. Certainly there are supernatural elements if Broken Branches is accepted at face value, with Gothic style nursing homes, mysterious noises, ethereal shapes and ghostly people, and it is
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
"Broken Branches" of the story of Ian who moves himself, his wife, and his son back to the home that he grew up in. Ian's past has been marred by a family curse that has brought unspeakable tragedy to several generations of his family. Ian believes that his immediate family may find itself marred by the next tragedy.

The book explores the family curse in two parallel timelines. We get insight into what happened to Ian's family when he was a young child. We also see how his family is now and how t
Agi
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases

Hideaway Fall are the new kids on the publishing block and guys, they are starting really, really well - the campaign for "Broken Branches" by M. Jonathan Lee, their first book, is more than brilliant, and the way they take care of the book bloggers is so, so lovely. I was very intrigued by the synopsis to "Broken Branches", however the book turned out to be totally different to what I was thinking it's going to be, which - of course - sometimes happens, but it also doesn't mean that it made me
Wendy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Told through an alternating succession of earth-shattering circumstances this perceptive story has a mournfulness that leaves a lasting impression.

A forbidding legacy has swept through generations of the Perkin’s family. The very knowledge of its existence is an unsettling presence, like spotting the grim reaper boarding the same flight as you.

The idyllic, isolated Cobweb Cottage is all yours along with “a curse” and a sinister looking Sycamore tree intimidating everyone in it shadow with an acc
Kim
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a real page turner. A debut novel that provides great promise for future books.
There is a supernatural element to the book that explores a family curse- giving a heightened suspense as you read further.
The tree ties the past and the present and adds to the spooky storyline.
Ian has taken his family back to an isolated cottage in the country and it threatens more mishap and misery.
I will be eager to read more by this author and look forward to seeing what other treasures Hideaway Fall h
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Broken Branches is an eerie, mesmerizing and beautiful horror novel. Originality in the horror genre is difficult to find these days, so it's great to see a book pop up with more depth and imagination than the norm.
Karina
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not yet sure with my rating. I had some minor issues but I still definitely enjoyed this. Review to come.
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
TWs for abuse and PTSD.
*Thanks to Hideaway Fall for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Broken Branches is a story of two halves; a tale of a young boy's happy childhood before disaster, and his search as an adult to uncover the mystery surrounding his family home.

Both parts of the novel are narrated in alternating chapters, flitting between present and past. As the two timelines progress we begin to understand more of Ian's character and his life as a child. Scenes of idyllic a
booksofallkinds
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hideaway Falls is a brand spanking new Publisher and they have leapt out of the starting blocks with this compelling, contemporary novel that has an eerie quality that will set a reader on edge throughout.

When tragedy strikes, Ian Perkins and his young family return to his childhood home in the middle of nowhere, and while the place contains many happy memories, it is not long before the darkness that is held within starts to seep into their lives. Determined to find a way to change the curse t
Helen
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, cover-love, reviewed
Broken Branches has a real feeling of unease with a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and a spooky tree overshadowing it, though I felt that this could have been played on a bit more.

The atmosphere was there at the start of the book, and there were some odd bumps and noises in the house, but it didn't really build up until near the end. I was hoping for something a bit creepier.

The story is interesting and the twist at the end is shocking. The pacing is just right and the build-up to the end o
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
M Jonathan Lee is a nationally shortlisted author who was born Yorkshire where he still lives today with his wife, children and dog, Alfie.

His debut novel, The Radio was shortlisted for The Novel Prize 2012. He has spoken in schools, colleges, prisons and universities about creative writing and storytelling and appeared at various literary festivals including Sheffield’s Off the Shelf and Doncaste