Start by marking “The Girl King” as Want to Read:
The Girl King

The Girl King

Two sisters become unwitting rivals in a war to claim the title of Emperor in this sweeping tale of ambition, sacrifice and betrayal for readers of Sabaa Tahir and Alwyn Hamilton.

All hail the Girl King.

Sisters Lu and Min have always understood their places as princesses of the Empire. Lu knows she is destined to become the dynasty's first female ruler, while Min is resig
Expected publication: January 8th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about The Girl King, please sign up.
Elias I hope not! It should be a trilogy or series. Duologies are a fad and are series butchered for the new, shortened millennial attention span.

emma
Dear The Girl King,

It's not you, it's me.

Gang, it's heartbreak hour. It is devastation o'clock over here in my brain. Because this book sounded good as hell and in many ways for many readers probably would be good as hell - but for me, it just didn't work.

This book is, on paper (ha ha book jokes), very Cool. It is sister-centered (usually something I love). It is Asian-inspired. It is high fantasy. It is unique.

But never, not once, did it ever really grab my attention. I just never felt interest
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-release
Wow, this book is so magical and captivating - I loved it so much! So many twists and turns. I cannot wait to read what happens next in this fantastic story.
Melanie
[May 23rd, 2018] Wow, the best cover of 2019 just was revealed today. Blessed.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Elise (TheBookishActress)
May 10, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
SISTERS. BETRAYING. SISTERS. IS IT BAD THAT I LOVE THIS.

[also nice cover drop]
chandler ainsley ❁
May 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
no offense to the creator but this cover is ass ugly... i mean i'll still read the book. but.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
5/25/18
While I am truly happy about another book with an Asian protagonist, I am once again not a fan of the cover. Character models/character art just never do it for me. Sigh...
---
4/7/18
Wait, did this seriously go from 10/2/2018 to 1/8/19!?
---
The synopsis has me excited! Betrayal always makes for interesting dynamics. Can’t wait for the cover reveal :D
Julie
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my top 2018 reads so far! Check it out if you like powerful, determined girls, because Lu - the titular Girl King - is going to knock your socks off! I loved this line in particular during a tense battle scene:

"Why did the gods make you like this? Just to torment me?"

Hot fury lanced her gut. "I wasn't made to torment you," she snarled. "I wasn't made for you at all. I was made for me."

GET IT GIRL!!!! (Disclaimer: line was taken from ARC, so it might change.) My official review:

"Th
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
All Hail The Girl King

Betrayal! SO. MUCH. BETRAYAL. These royals are some shady ass people and I lived for it! I need the second book and the first one is not even officially released yet. #readerproblems

When I read this synopsis. saw the STUNNING coves and then realized it was an ownvoice Asian-inspried fantasy – I knew I needed to feature this book and ask Mimi Yu to come visit us in 2019 on TBR and Beyond. Thankfully, she generously accepted and I’m so glad. I think the members are going
Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword)
The cover of this book just gave me the biggest Vin vibes!!
The synopsis sounds fantastic!
Publishing date is a bit far, so hopefully it’s worth the wait! I love, love, love asian settings in fantasies.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
THAT ENDING I AM SCREAMING I can’t wait for book 2 ajdskkdjdjdj

(rtc!)

I literally only heard of this book 5 minutes ago but that was more than enough time for me to decide that I NEED THIS SO MUCH
Aila
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

An absolutely enthralling, East Asian-inspired fantasy debut! Readers, watch out for this one. All three POV's deliver on unique characterizations that will set a tense storyline that will grip you from start to finish.

“Beauty as a weapon - one that required honing and care, like a sword. But also like a sword it could cut both ways.”

The Girl King promises heartstopping action in the midst of destinies woven across the characters’ timelines. Whether readers are attracted to Lu’s tough
Emily May
Dec 06, 2018 is currently reading it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, arc, 2018

ARC provided by Orion in exchange for honest review.
Lisa
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc
Straightforward story with a light but solid magic system and distinct characters in Min and Lu. I wanted to like this book more than I did: I just couldn't grab on to someone I was really rooting for.

I will say that I thought all of the secondary characters were well thought out, and I liked Nok's POV best.

If you're a fan of the sisters-vy-for-the-crown trope, then this is a worthy addition to the mix!
Nikki
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I struggled to get into this book if I’m honest, which was a shame as I thought it sounded fantastic. I did end up enjoying it, but I didn’t really connect directly with any of the characters.

I liked the way Lu’s story was told, her narrative arc worked quite well for me. I did want a little more on her relationship with her parents, and the background there. And also there were a lot of events mentioned before the book started which I found quite confusing.

Min’s story was harder for me at fir
Acqua
May 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: aoc, fantasy, db, arc, etbr
I'm in love with this cover.

Edit 09/19/18: I got an ARC! I got an ARC of one of my most anticipated releases for 2019!!
Kathy - Books & Munches
Political intrigue, a character destined to become the first female ruler and then there are shapeshifters? Nobody should even expect me not to read this, want to read this, want to cuddle this and devour it and.. and.. well.. everything.

The writing is superb and drew me in without letting me go. There are different kind of page-turners and this is definitely the kind that originates from fluent writing! Both descriptive but not too descriptive; the perfect balance for me personally.

There were s
Samantha Shannon
The Girl King is incredible. I expect it will be one of the most talked-about debuts of 2019, and rightfully so. It's beautifully wrought, with rich and atmospheric descriptions and complex worldbuilding. I'm a huge fan of the way the female characters were given the space to be anything, whether that was angry, powerful, ambitious, cold, protective, family-oriented, clever, hot-tempered, devious – anything. Nokhai was great, but Min and Lu are the real stars of the story. Both were fascinating ...more
Cindy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for this fabulous fantasy debut to go out into the world! I want the next installment!
Ashley
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-arc
I'm sad to say this book fizzled for me. I was quite interested at first, but then my interest just dwindled the more I read.

- I didn't like Min's character/chapters at all. I think she was just too young for my taste.
- I didn't like Set's character. Maybe because he felt too childish that I almost didn't take him seriously? It's like I couldn't even really hate him because he just seemed like a silly, cranky, spoiled boy.
- I didn't really get invested and lost interest in the plot as it went on
Sana
Sep 15, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
You: Sibling rivalry
Me, an intellectual: Tragedy siblings

ALSO, I JUST LOVE HOW BOMBASS THE UK COVER IS AHHH
Lili  Marcus
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Got an ARC from Netgalley UK... Thank youuuuuu..

So weird though. I tried requesting this from Netgalley.com and was denied, but WISHED it from Netgalley UK and got approved just a day after I requested it...
maegan ✷
2019 is the year for authors of color, and i'm here for it
✧lilly✧
Sep 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
I WISHED FOR THIS BOOK ON NETGALLEY AND GOT APPROVED OMG
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
This cover is EVERYTHING .
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Look...I don't love people on covers...but this one...this one I can get behind
Monique V
Shelves: 2019
YES!!! THIS SOUNDS LIKE A FAVORITE ALREADY!
Delia Evin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars

I struggled a bit with this book. At first when I started reading it I was intrigued and it seemed pretty interesting so I was definitely excited to continue. But as the story progressed I found that I really started to dislike the characters and their lack of growth or development. I found that they were very one dimensional and lacked anything that really set them apart from each other.

At times it felt like the author struggled to give each character their individual screen time an
Sofiya Pasternack
What I Liked
This is a gorgeous fantasy with three very relatable POV characters: Princesses Lu and Min, and apothecary apprentice Nokhai. From the start, they're all very relatable and very different. Each has flaws but you love them anyway. From the cutthroat imperial court to the simple tree-house of the village apothecarist to the sweeping northern steppes, this book kept dishing out the scenery and refused to stop.

What I Would Have Liked to See
Sometimes there would be so much going on, I'd
USOM
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I can't think of an element of The Girl King that I didn't love. Everything from the characters, to the world building, to the story arc, it was all executed with such grace. With tenderness, elegance, and beauty. If you have an Asian American teen in your life, do them a favor and give them a copy of this book. Do it for the younger me who never got to read a book like this g
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mimi Yu was born and raised in rural upstate New York. Her hometown is the site of both the Women’s Rights Convention (1848) and the largest active landfill in New York State (ongoing).

She currently resides in the SF Bay Area of California, and soon she will live near Chicago. She has never been a midwesterner before, but she does enjoy a good casserole.

Besides books, Mimi likes quilting, gardenin