Start by marking “Way Down Deep” as Want to Read:
Way Down Deep

Way Down Deep

An erotic romance…told entirely through text messages.

The words he typed were never meant to be read, yet they found their way to her. Two wounded strangers, prisoners of their own lives, brought together by a wayward text.

Without ever hearing each other’s voices, a friendship blooms between them. Without ever seeing each other’s faces, an attraction grows. Without ever
Published June 6th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Way Down Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way Down Deep

Shameless by Lisa Renee JonesProvocative by Lisa Renee JonesRuckus by L.J. ShenPucked Off by Helena HuntingShacking Up by Helena Hunting
Romance Books 2017
572 books — 1,479 voters
Pooh Gets Stuck by Walt Disney CompanyNothing Ever Happens by Yoshitomo NaraLooking for Alaska by John GreenThe Sweaty Yeti by Roy AppsAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green
In Your Pants
806 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Way Down Deep
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good but it didn't live up to the hype.

Review to come.
Judith
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

We have a history, one that’s been entirely documented. The moment we met, the moment we first went to bed together, in our weird way. The moments we turned ourselves inside out and bared everything,(...)

When I saw the blurb for this I was immediately intrigued and especially as it's written by two of my favourite MF romance Authors.

The story opens with Malcolm sending a desperate text message to someone who he never expected to respond.The number he sent the message to now
Lana Reads
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

There is the thing I love about romance: getting to know each other over email / letters / sms. Because that's how relationship with my husband started (okay, we saw each other for one evening before we started texting two months later) and I love how some authors manage to make a story out of a written exchange, without an actual narrative.

We don't tell stories about ourselves anymore, just let the mundane blurt from our brains into our phones, hit send, half-read the reply in a ru
Claire Robinson
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 - I never expected to hear back... Stars!

The blurb for Way Down Deep is what firstly sold me on reading this book, I was interested to see if the authors would be able to transfer enough emotion and depth to a story that is basically told through the medium of text messaging.

Its Live!
Amazon US – http://a.co/6XXSjrw
Amazon UK - http://amzn.eu/0Rvn2fA
B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/way-...

The second selling point; Cara McKenna, I have only read one other book by her, but it left such a las
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts

The premise of this novel sounded fascinating, teamed with the fact that I have read and loved previous novels by one of the authors in this collaborative story left me in no doubt that I had to read WAY DEEP DOWN. I got to around the 30% mark but found it simply did not work for me. I found the narrative to be too monotone and the continuing texts did not hold my interest like I thought they would. I thought the inclusion of popular culture in the prose was interesting and engaging but that fac
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

Need to put this on PAUSE (@15%) for a minute because I'm not feeling it. Explanation below.

The premise of this book is amazing. I didn't even need to know what the book was about to want to pick up an erotic romance told entirely via text messages! How many in today's day and age haven't secretly wished to stumble upon an instant connection with a stranger via technology? How many has that already happened to?

While I was overjoyed at the premise, unfortunately, I was left a bit disappointment w
Karla
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

"Way Down Deep" definitely had a unique plot, two strangers that by accident or destiny end up texting each other by mistake. One message turns into two and three and many more. Their messages start light and fun, but soon they start sharing their personal lives.

description

This was a short read but emotionally packed and sexy. I felt the MC connection I think the fact that they couldn't see each other made it easier for them both to talk about their troubles and heartbreaking pasts. The way they
~IreneOust~
I don't typically read ARCs but who in their right mind turns down a chance to read early a novel where the first line of a blurb is 'An erotic romance … told entirely through text messages.' ?? I am not sure how this book came to be ... I am just glad that it did! What an original concept (to me, anyhow)! As a HUGE fan of Cara McKenna's work, I am thrilled to be introduced to Charlotte Stein via this collaborative effort.

I knew going into this book that it will end up being something specia
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest

Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

★Book Basics★

Genre : - Cont. Romance
Series : - Stand Alone
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 3 stars

★Review★

I was so intrigued by this b
Hollis
Go ahead, stranger. Break my heart. Show me I'm still capable of feeling something so tender.

WAY DOWN DEEP feels like a modern day romance. Not in the sense of the era but in the sense of.. this kind of connection, this kind of relationship, is so unique to our current time. How do the majority of people communicate these days? Via text. Is there anyone who hasn't sent a text to a wrong number before? Have you ever had someone reply? What if you were the one who received a message; what if it wa
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
REVIEW TO COME

* I received an advance copy in exchange for my honest review. *
More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Never would have believed text messages could be so intimate, so raw, so honest. I'll return with a full review.
6/3/17 - Posting full review:

Lonely, hurting, and more than a little drunk, a person reaches out with a distress signal via text - not really expecting an answer. Shockingly, someone responds - tossing out a lifeline via a return text – offering a willing ear, a few encouraging words. And thus slowly, a friendship begins that grows over time to an intimate affair . . . all via texts. I
nick (the infinite limits of love)

I haven’t read anything by either of these two authors, but I was really excited to try Way Down Deep because it’s a romance that’s told entirely through texts … and I do mean ENTIRELY. Any time a romance novel has texts or letters or emails, I’m a goner, so I knew I had to try it. Way Down Deep was an emotional, heart-aching story with a lot of depth to it, and it completely surprised me.

The whole story was intriguing. In the beginning few chapters, you don’t even know who the guy is and who th
Sherly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
As soon as I saw the first line of the blurb "an erotic romance . . . told entirely through text messages" I knew I had to read Way Down Deep. I'm already a fan of Cara McKenna's and I've seen just how well she writes romantic, but also sexy, letters in her book Hard Time so my expectations were high, especially since so many people have recommended Charlotte Stein to me too (and I'm definitely going to have to start investing in her backlist after reading this!).

The story starts when Malcom dru
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Conceptually, this was clever and the blurb just dragged me into requesting to read and review. As a fan of Cara McKenna, I wanted to love this book but the result was like. The concept and context are two damaged strangers who begin a tentative texting friendship following a circumstantial finding of one another's numbers. There is much masked for quite some time in this read: who are the characters, what gender are they, will they ever meet?

There was power in the writing of this book, the writ
Alisa
DNF @ 30%

It pains me so to not finish a Cara McKenna book. She's one of my favorite authors, but I just can't get into this. I like the idea behind the book.....it's told all in text messages....but it's not holding my attention. I find the guy's texts are pretty interesting but I don't care for the girl. She's long winded & doesn't say anything I can relate to. She's not at all interesting to me. I've picked this up & then put it down at least 4x so I think it's time to admit defeat.

**ARC rece
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
Sweet, angsty and hot. A gorgeous little ditty from my favourite erotic-romance writers.

I had a hard time putting this one down, it was easy and a little addictive to read. Both the leads were utterly adorable and quirky. The prose and theme was a little bit divine too.

I really hope these two work together again.
Jean
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first thing you should know about this book is that the entire story is told through text messages and I wasn't sure at first, but I ended up loving it!

That ending......at first I thought "I need more!", but then I was like "Awwww, that was an awesome ending!" and I was grinning like a total idiot!!!!!

Some texts from an unknown number to Maya's phone....her hesitation to respond.....then she does because she feels like this person needs her help. I loved how this all played out. It even took
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

WAY DOWN DEEP is a collaboration novel between Cara McKenna and Charlotte Stein. These two authors are among my favorite Erotic Romance authors so I was really looking forward to this book. The premise of this book is very interesting. It’s written in an epistolary fashion, but instead of letters, it’s through texts/emails. The heroine accidentally sends a message to a stranger but instead of turning her away, the hero actually continues to chat with her. There’s a nice emotional aspect to
Jamie
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, single-parent
*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

I really really wanted to like this book. I read the description and was immediately drawn in. I love romances that have to do with email/texting. Unfortunately, I kind of had to force myself to finish.

I couldn't really connect with the mc's at all and I especially didn't like the H. I was really irritated with the disconnect he seemed to have with his son.

The writing was very well done, don't get me wrong. This just wasn't my cup of tea.
Maria Rose
Charlotte Stein and Cara McKenna are go-to authors for me when I’m looking for an edgy, sexy romance and this first collaboration shows their trademark styles combined in one intriguing package. Way Down Deep is an epistolary romance, told entirely in the form of text messages between the hero and the heroine. It’s common to have text messages or email make up part of a novel, but to have the whole story told this way is pretty unique. The result is a super sexy and enthralling romance.

The story
G.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Are you there, stranger?

A contemporary romance constructed entirely out of text messages. And yes, at first glance I went all whyyy. But it's a joint project between Cara McKenna and Charlotte Stein, so I decided to give it a try. And, to my surprise, I actually liked it. In fact, there were instances where I flat-out loved it. Yes, I did need to suspend some disbelief in places, and yes, I still think the format is limiting in a lot of ways, but I do think Way Down Deep turned out to be an
Sometime
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I love to read epistolary novels. Letters, texts, emails. I love it all. The way the characters get to know each other without anything else getting in the way. This particular book was a disappointment. I did enjoy the parts where the MCs are talking, getting to know each other, sharing secrets. Where it failed was in the erotic sexy parts. Malcolm and Maya texting their sexy fantasies sounded like they were narrating their own super sexy sex scene. People just don't talk like that. Do you know ...more
Bea
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
WTF! Ok just finished 😳
I haven't been able to put this book down. Sigh... I don't even know how many freakin stars to rate this. Because... this was so different from anything I've read. It was so beautiful and touching. The cover is beautiful! The concept was unlike any other. But the end... the end. Somebody get me a drink! I can't even explain. For sure it's a must read. I decided on 4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sheena
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
At first- I really, really really liked it.

Mid way- I really liked it

3/4 done- I was over the texting already and wanted them to actually, finally meet. The shtick grew weary.

100% done- I was glad it was over. Didn't like the ending. I hate books that are so open ended. If it is a standalone novel- wrap it up 100%.

The last line of the novel made 100 feelings course through me. One of them righteous anger- serious! That is the last thing!?
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Eh, great premise. I just couldn't get into it. Probably just me. Moving on...
Beth
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS. Letters - letters - letters are not kryptonite and this book of letters is PERFECT.
Romance Readers Retreat
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

When I first heard about this book, I fangirled an embarrassing amount. I have yet to find a Cara McKenna book I did not adore and then to find out she was co-writing a book with Charlote Stein?! I knew I needed t get my hands on a copy as soon as possible. The power house authors are not the only thing exciting about Way Down Deep. It's also told in a unique format. The entire story is told through text messages.

Malcolm sends a text message to a number, not expecting to receive a reply
MsChris1161
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ebook, own, netgalley
I think WAY DOWN DEEP by Charlotte Stein and Cara McKenna is one of the most intimate books I've ever read. The style in which it's written -- the texting, doesn't make it awkward at all. It makes it personal. I almost felt like a voyeur at times. And these two strangers, each so mired down in their own pain and unimaginable struggles connect with each other so completely. It's just beautiful. So pure. They laugh, and cry, and just put it all out there. They share their fears, their failures, th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• After Hours
  • Easy Virtue (Virtue, #1)
  • Hard Time
  • Your Dad Will Do (A Touch of Taboo #1)
  • Love Unexpected
  • Brutal Game (Flynn and Laurel, #2)
  • Hush, Hush
  • Unbound
  • Desperate Measures (Wicked Villains, #1)
  • The Princess Trap (Dirty British Romance, #1)
  • Undeniable (Undeniable, #1)
  • Comfort Food
  • Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)
  • Thirsty (Eastside Brewery, #1)
  • Switch Bidder (Jock Hard #2.5)
  • Her Best Laid Plans
  • Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
Charlotte Stein is the RT and DABWAHA nominated author of over fifty short stories, novellas and novels. When not writing deeply emotional and intensely sexy books, she can be found eating jelly turtles, watching terrible sitcoms and occasionally lusting after hunks. For more on Charlotte, visit: www.charlottestein.net ...more

News & Interviews

“But love isn’t something that can simply bend around all barriers. It isn’t a coat you can wear for all occasions.” 0 likes