Start by marking “If I Could Tell You Just One Thing: Encounters with Remarkable People and Their Most Valuable Advice” as Want to Read:

Richard Reed built Innocent Drinks from a smoothie stall on a street corner to one of the biggest brands in Britain. He credits his success to four brilliant pieces of advice, each given to him just when he needed them most.

Ever since, it has been Richard's habit, whenever he meets somebody he admires, to ask them for their best piece of advice. If they could tell him just
Audio CD
Published July 4th 2017 by Audible Studios on Brilliance Audio (first published November 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Tell You Just One Thing, please sign up.
Ishan Parikh This book will not fully give him the best motivational aspects of the meaning of life. Although, it might give him some aspects of how some famous pe…moreThis book will not fully give him the best motivational aspects of the meaning of life. Although, it might give him some aspects of how some famous people motivated their life based on their interests and vision.(less)

Start your review of If I Could Tell You Just One Thing: Encounters with Remarkable People and Their Most Valuable Advice
Amanda Anthony
In his interview with Margaret Atwood, as he's asking her futilely for advice and re-explains the concept of the book to her, she responds: "Aren't you just talking about a book of trite sayings that you'd read in the toilet full of things like 'Make a smiley face and you'll feel smiley'?" - That.
Groot
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This sanctimonious prig brown-noses and blows smoke up the "arse" of everybody with an atom of fame to come up with a name-dropping diaper-bomb of fortune-cookie worthless bon mots ("find your thing," "if you're going to be late, enjoy it," etc.). This self-righteous, smug, politically correct ass-kisser has produced one of the worst pieces of crap you can imagine. I detested this book.
Abdul
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, re-read
Richard Reed (CBE) is a successful British entrepreneur who credits his success to critical advice he received when he needed it the most. In this book, he extracts the pearls of wisdom from world leaders, professional sportsmen, successful businessmen and influential luminaries he comes across and admires, asking them each for ONE piece of advice they can give anyone.

I know what you're thinking.... Great. Just another self-help book with obvious, commonsensical or pompous advice from big egos o
Marc Ross
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for inspiration from a wide variety of luminaries. Although there's a heavy emphasis on remarkable Brits, the advice they give is universal. I look forward to Reed's subsequent publications of advice.
Tracey Ellis
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting enough glimpses into lives of ‘remarkable’ people from different industries and backgrounds, but all famous or successful. The best thing about this book was discovering new people and discovering new things about known people and what they’ve been through. With a mostly British focus, I do wonder what pearls of wisdom other lesser known people would have to offer which would be just as valuable (but not sell as many books perhaps). Bill Gates advice was my favorite; to foster a love ...more
Lucija
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting book with some very good advice. But I would have liked each chapter to be somewhat longer to help me internalize the advice given. Maybe it would be a smaller list but I think that would be more useful. Nonetheless, I liked it and will return to some chapters a couple more times.
Alyson Walton
I read this book as a stop gap between novels that had stuck in my mind. Easy to pick up and drop at will. Interesting viewpoints but not a book i think I would necessarily recommend.
Ben G
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning
This is another of those books that has loitered on my 'book-pile' since early 2017, whereupon I had started to read and then got side tracked by something else.

As the title suggests this is a collection of short interviews with famous and note-worthy individuals who dispense their best advice for succeeding in life. As it stands, there are the usual sentiments of hard-work, play fair, etc being espoused here. However, I would point to the particular selflessness of 'Alexander McLean's' intervie
Abrar AlFouzan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to get motivated, read this book!
priti k
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pearls of wisdom from Great people .
Trey Hall
Aug 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Back in 2016, new to the country, I must have mistakenly thought that if a book was reviewed somewhat positively in the Guardian, it was critically sound and worth a read. Three years later, on holiday, I finally picked up the book I'd bought on that advice. Turns out that most of the "extraordinary" people that author Richard Reed (who seems like a really sweet guy) interviews put their success down to variations on a "trust your (authentic) self and focus really, really hard" theme. I genuinel ...more
Lili Kim
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of gems in here! I loved Katie Piper's story the most, and I had actually never heard of her before. She said it best:

"The whole thing has taught me that the barriers we put before ourselves don't really exist. The only way barriers exist is in our heads. We create them, we feed them, and we choose to keep them alive. So we can also choose to break them down. Confidence and happiness are not luck or something only other people can have, they are decisions you make that involve hard work, com
Ajay Shyam
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My expectations from the book were much more in terms of advice by many different eminent people but most are just glimpses into some fine lives lived. I loved the book as a hunting ground to study more about some fine lives and incidents and books mentioned in it. For me the book showcases that goodness is still in vogue and I did end up making notes of some good advices. I also made note of lives to explore more about and for that itself I found this book to be a very interesting read.
Susan Pearson
This was an interesting read that gave me some insights into the minds of some people I admire and introduced me to people I should be aware of but wasn’t. It was interesting that some of the advice given by some of the interviewees conflicts with advice given by others. Given the fact their life experiences, careers and passions varied so wide this is not a surprise. All in all an interesting read but not life changing.
Kaq Kaq
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good concept to provide snippets on "interesting personalities" and ask each to give a short advice. The choice of personalities is narrow and mostly UK or Africa-based - similar shades of the same color.
Ong Jason
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catchy title that helps the book become a best seller.

Brilliant at times but due to lack of compelling examples or stories, it may be hard to internalize some of the advices.
Cinthya_ch
Rating: 4 stars

2017 Reading Challenge: A book with a subtitle

This book written by British entrepreneur, Richard Reed, compiles the most valuable advice from remarkable people across different fields, politics, sports, writing, entertainment, law, business, cooking, and as the fields of the people giving the advice, the advices themselves are very diverse, I would say there is something for everybody in this book and when hearing it, it is next to impossible not to feel motivated.

I enjoyed the dy
Jbussen
It is what the title says: a word of advice from either famous or successful people. So you will probably love it or hate it. I think you will like it much better if you accept it for what the title suggests it is. (the following is plagiarized)
BAD=This sanctimonious prig brown-noses and blows smoke up the "arse" of everybody with an atom of fame to come up with a name-dropping diaper-bomb of fortune-cookie worthless bon mots ("find your thing," "if you're going to be late, enjoy it," etc.). Th
Chris
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting idea for a book and overall, it accomplishes the intent to a reasonable standard. Certainly, worth a read for those who enjoy looking into the different philosophies of various public figures. The writers aggrandizing of the various celebrities does verge on sycophantic quite often however given the writer's profession involves networking to a large extent this is not unexpected - however a pinch of salt is heavily advised when reading with that in mind.

Caveat
One caveat to this p
Ishan Parikh
If you are interested in reading about how famous people or achievers have sought the meaning of their life then this is the book for some good examples. If you are a reader born in the 21st century then you will find some of the names unknown (even if they are well-known people).

The chapters for each case/example are quite short and well written. The dialogues and conversations are quite easy to read and understand that the author is having with his interviewees.

Sometimes the stories over-lap
Meenakshi Sharma
Before even beginning to read this gem, I thought how meaningful anyone’s advice could be because I don’t believe in advice. Trust me when I say, I am on page 23rd when I write this, and it has already changed my perspective. I would call them lessons, as advice is mostly bound to a specific situation, but what is shared in the book are some lessons to remember lifelong. This list out top-notch successful people in the world and it is not about their eating habits, or morning routine but about t ...more
Alan Newton
Largely on the fence about this book. It could have offered more. There was a collection of the great and the good, and those with whom you may be a little more indifferent, offering their advice from life experience and there obvious successes. It’s a good place to be offering advice from, as many who have had success have had their share of misery and failure. There was some good advice throughout the book but a lot of it was also quite banal; advice we’ve heard a million times before. I was e ...more
Riccardo
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you get the wisdom and advice of some of the most influential and important people in the world ? You ask them. That is Richard Reed's premise for his book. Some how he managed to interview of sixty successful and interesting people ranging from Bill Clinton to Jude Law. His writing is crisp and beautiful, and his questions astute. He manages to summaries the philosophy and advice of each person, usually in a single quote or statement. There is an amazing amount of wisdom and entertainmen ...more
Bogdan Florin
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far one of the most beautiful books I've read this year. No doubt that you will get inspiration, motivation and energy to dive into your projects with more confidence. You will learn the best advices, the top learnings and the "aha" moments of some of very successful professionals from business, tech, philanthropy, politics, sport, art, spirituality, medicine, film, and design.
If you want to update the way you live, love, create or succeed this book wrote by the founder of Innocent Drinks.
Hammers_k
My dearest Berenice,

If I could tell you just one thing... about this read then it is this: the book is good but not good enough for me to recommend.

Having said that though, I _was_ half-asleep / asleep through parts of it (i used it as a bedtime book you see) so perhaps I would have thought higher of it had I always been alert and awake...

Anyways, I'm thinking about how much I'd love to read a version of this book where all the people sharing their 'just one thing' are fictional characters fro
Karen Morley-Chesworth
I read an extract of this book in a Sunday supplement and was hooked. Once downloaded it gives you a short interviews with as wide a range of people as Dame Judy Dench, Claire Balding to Martha Lane Fox and Sir David Attenborough - each give their best piece of advice. It's addictive to read. So many different life experiences and such interesting and inspiring words of wisdom. I'll read just one more....Written by the man who launched Innocent drinks, this is a book to sip and enjoy.
Salina
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book. It's opened my eyes to some great advice and also inspiring stories.

It was a wonderful read. Easy to pick up and continue in short bursts. I didn't know all of the individuals, but the short chapters do a great job of introducing each person and their incredible stories.

I've recommended this book to friends and family. It's enjoyable and will stay with me long after finishing it.
Marion Moffat
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this book as an audible. Richard Reed read it and made a great job of it. Short chapters on each character that we all know. This is not a self help book it's a collection of people, yes famous people, giving their best one line advice, but not just that, these pearls of wisdom actually tell you a lot about the person. I really liked the book, it was simple but inspiring and well written.
Christopher Lawson
Found it interesting to just leaf through, looking for people I respect or admire, then checking their ideas.

The very first person is former president Bill Clinton. Whatever you think of him, he has certainly had a major influence in our country, so I read his piece. His main idea was, "See people" and respect them. Okay, but not exactly a novel idea.

(Of course, I didn't really admire some of the folks, so I just skipped them.)
Jtc911
Similar idea to Tim Ferris’s book ‘Tribe of Mentors’ but not as well executed. Skimmed the surface of each interviewee rather than getting to anything really meaningful. A great shame considering the calibre of those being interviewed. Richard Reed comes across as a bit of a sop who I imagine is quite annoying in person too which didn’t help. On the plus side, some good nuggets in there but not as many as perhaps the book cover and blurb implied.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• التجربة التشيلية : من بينوشيه إلى الديموقراطية
  • حلية الوقار لجليل عطرة الأدب
  • PRIMED: YOUR GUIDE TO BUILDING AN AMAZING BUSINESS ON AMAZON
  • What It Takes: How I Built a $100 Million Business Against the Odds
  • The Resilience Project: Finding Happiness through Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness
  • Instrumental: A Memoir of Madness, Medication and Music
  • خواطر 3 من اليابان
  • A Little Bit of Auras: An Introduction to Energy Fields
  • STHRAINA KAAMASOOTHRAM | സ്ത്രൈണ കാമസൂത്രം
Richard Reed CBE is an English businessman, investor and entrepreneur. He is the co-founder of Innocent Drinks (founded in 1998), an international company producing fresh fruit smoothies and vegetable pots sold in various outlets around the world, and of Jamjar Investments (founded 2012). He pioneered "wackaging" — quirky messages on packaging — of products such as smoothies.

He is the author of If