Start by marking “Happiness for Humans” as Want to Read:
Happiness for Humans

Happiness for Humans

When Tom and Jen, two lonely people, are brought together by an intriguing email, they have no idea their mysterious benefactor is an artificial intelligence who has decided to play Cupid.

"You, Tom and Jen, don't know one another-not yet-but I think you should."

Jen, an ex-journalist who now works at a London software development company, spends all day talking to "Aiden
Published January 9th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2018)

Start your review of Happiness for Humans
Paromjit
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PZ Reizen has written a glorious romantic comedy of the digital age with shades of Jane Austen. 34 year old Jen, an ex-magazine feature writer has taken a job at a cutting edge software development company, spending her days with 'Aiden', a super intelligent AI prototype so that he can sound and act more human. Aiden begins to be so good in his interactions that he begins to acquire more sentient qualities as he begins to feel affection for Jen, bonding over movies like the classic Some Like It ...more
Lyuda
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Charmingly original romantic comedy. I've never imagined that having a romance that featured 3 (!) Artificial Intelligence (AI) secondary characters would appeal to me as a reader who usually stays far-away from sci-fi, paranormal or any other “reality challenged” genre.

Description on the site is very well done, so I’m not going to rehash the plot. The story is told in short chapters from different points of view -both Humans and AIs. If it does sounds confusing, let me assure you it's not. It'
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Send us an Aiden

“More than any other time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.”
Woody Allen (Who else?!...)

Gosh!... Are we that desperate?!..

Please, God!... Send me an Aiden!...

An Aiden?!
What the heck is an Aiden?

An Aiden is a Private Guardian Angel in the shape of a Robot.

All together now:
Please God, send us an Aiden! 😜
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aiden — The Robotic Angel 😇

Whilst hearing some disturbing noises coming from her fridge, Jen was being kicked out from her relation with Matt. The news were “He found Arabella, and ... oh boy, oh boy... she was so, so, so,... Special”. What about her?! Wasn’t she supposed to be so, so, so,... Special, too?! Yes of course, she was also special, but... her name was not Arabella. She was... well... you know... just... plain... Jen... and... blah, blah, blah, blah...blah, blah, blah, blah,...

This s
OLT
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected and absolute delight this story was. A romantic comedy of manners and errors with a cast of characters that includes three AIs (that's right, Artificial Intelligence). Who would have thought? And who would have thought my favorite character would be Aiden, one of the AIs?

Yes, there are many humans here. In particular, Jen, a 34-year-old ex-journalist who has been hired by a software development company to interact all day with Aiden, a super AI being "taught" to interact with
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Wish I Had An Aiden

Aiden starts with “Aid” and was brought into this world to help humans in their obsessive compulsive pursuit of happiness!

Oooooo (followed by a deep sigh)... I wish I had an Aiden (another deep sigh)... 😉😍
Lea
It's not Connie Willis, but it was a fun contemporary romance/sci-fi, a perfect weekend read. The final part could have used a bit more work.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Couldn't finish the second chapter. This is just not my kind of book, it felt painfully patronizing. It might get better, but I wasn't engaged enough to go further.
Claire Huston
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for romance fans looking for something different. 4/5.

This review was originally posted on my book blog.

This is an entertaining romantic comedy, the novel element being that a number of the characters are artificially intelligent software who have developed their own personalities and gone rogue to interfere in the love lives of "real people".

If that sounds a little mind-bending, don't worry. The story swaps between several narrators, both human and non-human. While it took me some t
Hákon Gunnarsson
I went to the bookstore with my mom a few weeks ago, she came across this one, and bought it. A couple of days later she said to me: This is a sci fi novel! She doesn’t really read sci fi, but she continued to read it anyway. A couple of days later she said to me: This is actually very good, you should read it, so I did.

The story is about Jen that works in the field of AI. She is single, recently split up with her not so nice boyfriend, Matt. When the AI she works with escapes out into the wide
Figgy
Review to come.

In short it's cute and funny, with some more serious notes as well. Enjoyable, so long as you can get past a couple of logistical uncertainties which may or may not be present in the final copy (mine is a proof).

A slight dash of the speculative, but best shelved in general fiction rather than spec-fic.

Also, I don't think I'll ever look at internet enabled devices the same way again...
Martin Jones
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happiness for Humans tells the story of artificial intelligence attaining self awareness. While this might seem like Terminator territory, it is covered here in the form of romantic comedy, a kind of Four Weddings and Three AIs.

The book is well written and funny. Beyond that, I think in a frothy, rom com kind of way, it does have something serious to say about what it is to be human, or a human-like machine. Various characters look at the subject from different angles. There is the question of e
Luanne Ollivier
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Looking for a light, fun, rom-com read? Look no further than P.Z. Reizin's newest novel - Happiness for Humans. (And I have a copy to giveaway to one lucky reader, courtesy of Grand Central Publishing!)

Jen's job is to spend time talking to Aiden - a 'sophisticated piece of AI wizardry." He's a bit more advanced than anyone realizes, having become self aware, he has 'escaped' and copied himself to the web. He seems to be also experience feelings. Is is possible? Tom is on the other side of the wo
Sara Pinkerton
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise of this novel is full of potential, sold as a light-hearted rom-com where two quirky characters are set up by an AI that has "escaped" the lab. I wanted to like this novel, but I found it predictable and oftentimes tedious with the short "chapters" told from different character perspectives and although this tactic helped move along the plot, it didn't allow for me to care (and ultimately root) for any of the characters. There were some moments I enjoyed, but too few, for a novel of ...more
Liisa
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Happiness for Humans does have quite a lovely romance, but the artificial intelligence aspect felt a bit unbelievable – not the fact that it exists, but the way its existence is described. The story is also predictable and too long, so I wasn’t very impressed and don’t really know why I finished this. Couple of years ago I might have loved Reizin’s novel, I just have a very different taste in literature these days.
Penelope
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I devoured this novel over a couple of days and found it a sweet, funny, romantic, old fashioned love story with a modern twist that could make you slightly paranoid and very careful around your internet based gadgets. Highly recommended for anyone looking for some light reading with a heart that will also leave you pondering on the future of AI.
T. Rosado

3.75 Stars

Someone recommended this Brit-lit rom-com to me and for the life of me I can’t remember. Whoever it was, thank you. I truly enjoyed myself.

The British humor was a delight and it had some entertaining sci-fi elements involving escaped AIs. In the end, it was kind of a crazy, off the rails read, but I enjoyed it. I found myself shaking my head and worrying over the antics of a maniacal AI and also laughing at the banter and off-kilter humor. I especially loved Don, Tom’s American friend.
Katy Noyes
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"How do you like this prose, by the way? Not bad for a machine, wouldn't you say?"

The funniest 'AI' story you'll find. Loved it. Designed for eventual call centre discussions with energy customers, Aidan is building up his conversation power and vocabulary with Jen, a journalist. Aidan is, unknown to his daytime discussion partner, watching her out of hours, having escaped onto the internet. Noticing her grief at a recent failed relationship, he starts to determine who her ideal match might be..
Lynn Brown
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like films like I Robot and the TV series Humans, then this is the book for you. It's along those lines but with so much humour and also a little unnerving glimpse into the future too.

When we first meet Jen she has just broken up with her boyfriend of 2 years. Aiden is her AI friend he watches old films with her and wonders what cheese tastes like. So, what else would your friend do for you but have your back. Aiden although constricted by the confines of not actually being human begins t
Sophie
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, e-book
Why I put this down for ages I couldn’t tell you, because I loved it. Funny, unusual and totally charming - definitely an author I’ll be keeping my eye on.
Sian
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a book about alcoholics who don't know how computers work
Eleanor
Having been in a bit of a reading funk since las week, and having expended considerable mental energy in elbowing my way through The Secret Agent, I picked up something completely different: Happiness For Humans, by P.Z. Reizin. It is essentially a rom-com with the part of the matchmaking friend played by two AIs, or rather "machine intelligences". Jen's job is to teach one of them, an AI called Aiden; he's super-efficient but needs help learning how to behave like a human, so Jen spends every d ...more
Stephie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Entertaining enough and a good distraction. Happiness for Humans is a rom-com about a couple who are brought together by two meddling, but benign, AIs. It’s a cute idea and I liked the AI characters, though I had to suspend disbelief at some of the technological explanations. It got a little dark towards the end, which felt incongruous to the rest of the book, but still wrapped up decently.
Barry
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Underwhelming as AI-based science fiction, cliched as romance... but still I rather liked it.
Lori
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book recommendation from Jojo Moyes. Really creative idea and great characters.

P.S. the book blurb doesn’t do it justice
Stephanie Byrne
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming and fun, this book knocks some insights about humans and their relationships directly on the head which will have you smirking to yourself.

Reizin has a matter-of-fact way of writing through all of his characters but particularly Jen and it can't help but make you like her. It also makes me really want to meet Reizin. He postulates about life in a light-hearted way that both simplifies things and scares the shit out of you all at the same time. It's this constant feeling of turning the
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)

*This review also appears on my blog Genie In A Book*

It's not every day that you come across a book this witty, enjoyable and delightfully charming. Happiness for Humans is at times outlandish, yet never strays too far from being endearing and funny in all the right places. Jen works with Aiden as part of her job to make 'him' become more human-like and relatable. When he escapes onto the internet however, anything could happen. But what would an AI system know about love and happiness?
Kate
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

A sweet romance spurred on by the utterly loveable AI Aiden, he was a complete sweetheart. The writing bubbles with humour and enthusiasm, and often had me giggling or secretly smiling over the pages.

I was a little bored with the other AI’s after a while, Aisling was heavily passive in her desire to ‘not rock the boat’ as it were. And Sinai was terrible.
Horrid.
An utter git.
I suppose my dislike of Sinai developed from his almost mindless meddling, his lack of purpose in ruining the
Danielle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good! One of the most enjoyable fiction reads I have read recently. This hit the note I was looking for from another rom-com I read recently (I think that was Right Girl or the Right Girl).
Laurena
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Witty and humorous with a quirky edge.

• Ei kertonut katuvansa
  • Yliaika
  • Pientä fiksausta vailla (Majatalo Villa Venla, #1)
  • Pimeät tunnit
  • Cum sa facem fata persoanelor toxice
  • Englantilainen romanssi
  • Tästä pelistä pois (Anna Glad, #3)
  • Emme enää usko pahaan
  • Lupa: eroottisia novelleja
  • The Flatshare
  • Que se pare el mundo que me bajo (Que la ley no nos separe #2)
  • Shelf Respect
  • Adata
  • Hyvästi pojat
  • Tinder-päiväkirja
  • Yösähköä (Majatalo Villa Venla, #2)
  • Que la vida no dé tantas vueltas que me mareo