Start by marking “If You Knew Her” as Want to Read:
If You Knew Her

If You Knew Her

The perfect life? Or the perfect lie . . .When Cassie Jensen arrives on the intensive care ward in St Catherine's hospital, Alice Marlowe the chief nurse, is fascinated by this young, beautiful woman who strikes her as familiar and yet she doesn't know why. But then Alice is astonished to discover something about Cassie that she has been keeping secret from everyone, inclu ...more
Published January 23rd 2018 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about If You Knew Her, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brittney Walters Yes, it was Frank. At the beginning and in the jump scene they mention his mahogany hair.
Brittney Walters
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Diane S ☔
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appearances can be so deceiving. Alice is the head nurse on a constant care ward. Frank, one of her patients is thought to be a hopeless case, unresponsive, in a vegetative state, only Alice believes Frank is in there somewhere. Cassie, a young woman is in a coma, a victim of a hit and run. Her husband and mother in law are devastated, and then there is a further revelation that sends them reeling.

I thought this was quite well done. Alternating chapters send us back into the past of Cassie and J
Linda
"My fear woke up in me then. It crawled from the pit of my stomach, and uncurled itself. With cold tentacles it crept into the rest of my body."

Yep, fear takes over in this one like a giant slab of burger balancing on the precipice of a very diminutive bun. A weighty proposition, with perhaps, an upended result.

The wheels creak continuously on the cart that carries Cassie Jensen into her assigned unit in the intensive care ward of St. Catherine's Hospital. It gets the attention of Frank in the n
Shannon
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew it!!!! Actually, I didn’t. The thought crossed my mind though!

Oh my goodness. If You Knew Her by Emily Elgar was so so good! It was mysterious, EMOTIONAL, and clever! We get three different POVs all told mostly in a hospital setting, which I loved!

Alice is a nurse on the 9b ward. She works hard and takes good care of her patients. Her patient, Frank, can still hear and see but can’t speak or move enjoys Alice’s company. She talks to him about everything, hoping to see some change in poor
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Alice lives her days and/or nights as the ward nurse for 9B. She uses Frank, a patient with locked-in syndrome (he can hear and see things around him but cannot speak or move), as her therapist of sorts, talking to him daily about her life and hoping to see some life from him one day.. though they're convinced at the hospital that he's in a permanent vegetative state.

In comes Cassie, a victim of a hit and run, now in a coma. Finding out that Cassie is with child sends Alice reeling a bit as she
Rachael
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is the intertwined stories of Alice, head nurse on a ward for comatose patients, Cassie, a woman brought into the ward after a hit and run, and Frank, an alcoholic who is locked into his body following a stroke.

There are inevitable comparisons here with 'Rubbernecker' by Belinda Bauer, which also takes place in a coma ward, but the stories are very different even though I loved them both as much as each other.

I really think the less said about the storyline here, the better, but it i
 Li'l Owl
Was it an accident? Or something else entirely?

Her bag falls from her shoulder and her neck whips round as the car bites into her hip. She feels her bones crack as easily as porcelain; the impact makes her spin, an insane pirouette to the edge of the stream. Her feet can’t keep up and she falls back. Thorns shred her useless hands as she clutches the hedgerows for support, but it’s just brambles and loose branches; it doesn’t even slow her down. She hears herself scream, distant , as if it’s com
Liz Barnsley
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tense and addictive psychological thriller with 3 separate, unique and absorbing voices. Full review to follow for the blog tour.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
This novel reminded me of some of Tess Gerrisen's novels, in the sense that it was a medical/crime/thriller. It is most definitely not a police procedural, as the police rarely feature. I think this helped this book stand out at a time when the genre is hugely popular.

The novel revolves around 3 central characters
Anne- the slightly obsessed workaholic nurse that runs ward 9B.
Cassie - the main character & victim of the attack, who is in a coma on ward 9B.
and Frank - A fellow patient on ward
Dale Harcombe
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie is the victim of a hit and run incident. Was it an accident or intentional? Who would want to hurt Cassie? Police are investigating what happened. Now Cassie is in a coma. But she has a secret her husband doesn’t know about. Frank is a patient in the same intensive care ward at St Catherine’s Hospital. Although he can hear and see what is going on around him, most hospital staff think he is in a vegetative state since he is unable to communicate Alice is the head nurse caring for these pa ...more
DeAnna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars!!! I really enjoyed this book!!! A great read!!!
Karen Whittard
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, Little brown book group plc and Emily Elgar for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under Karen Whittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

If you like crime books do not miss this one. I think that this one stands out from the crowd because instead of being cantered around the police it is about
Frank Phillips
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one kind of read like my previous Holly Seddon book in the sense that this book is about someone with locked-in syndrome and another person in a coma, and it also has a very touching ending that got me all in my feelings! A solid book that I would normally give a good, moderately enjoyable, 3-star rating, but the extra emotional touch put it at a 4-star read for me. The writing was exceptional and I was very impressed that this was a debut novel. It was a mystery not necessarily a thriller ...more
Bridget
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Down half a star for being a bit predictable. It didn’t wow me but was still a pretty dang good read!
Shalini
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy mystery/suspense novel. A light read..
Three main characters :
1) Alice, an ICU high dependency unit nurse and her two patients
2) Frank, with a tracheotomy and ventilator suffering from "locked in syndrome", post stroke and alcoholism
3) Cassie, a young wife with a head injury and coma, post a hit and run accident
The story revolves around the lives of all the three, Alice with her husband David and her inability to sustain her pregnancies. Frank and his relationship to daughter L
booksofallkinds
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How have I never heard of this book before now?!? A gripping psychological read, this story hooked me from the very first line and kept me on the edge of my seat to the last.

Centred around a hospital ward, we get to know Alice who is excellent at her job and really connects and cares about her patients. There is Frank who she believes is suffering from locked-in syndrome, even though her boss disagrees, and the close-knit group of staff who feel like family. But Alice is struggling with her per
Lisa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I enjoyed this psychological thriller. Not much more to say than that really!
I did predict the ending early on but that's because I've read so many books in the genre that I know what to look for - it was still a good read although nothing new to me.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Aurora
If You Knew Her is a debut “psychological thriller” by Emily Elgar. I put psychological thriller in quotations because, to me, it didn’t quite hit that mark, although it was fairly gripping. The story is told from 3 different perspectives:

1. Alice, who is a nurse working on 9B, an ICU/HDU type ward. She’s a highly experienced nurse who is also dealing with the struggle of trying to get pregnant.

2. Frank, a patient on 9B who suffers from “locked-in syndrome”, a coma-like state in which the person
Sarah Piper
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, 2017
So full disclaimer: I received this as a Goodreads Free Giveaway ... so here is my honest review.

I did not love this book. But I also did not hate this book.

I felt like it had a good premise of a story that I kept hoping would get suspenseful and riveting but it just never got there for me.

I felt like the outcomes was a little predictable even with a couple twists mixed in ... it just never had me fully captivated.

And honestly I was disappointed by the entire ending for all three major voice
Liz
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Emily Elgar’s debut novel. Told in multiple perspectives in both the present and past, this is a cleverly well-written debut. Started off a bit slow but the use of alternating perspectives always keeps me gripped. I would not quite categorize this as a psychological thriller but definitely a good, solid, suspenseful story nonetheless.
**3.75 stars rounded up!**
Kelsea
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Slow start but the ending was definitely worth it all!
Sara
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want into it in the beginning but really ended up enjoying it!
Krystal
WOW!! What a whirlwind of a plot this was!!
This book had me up late into the night and early morning, it was a page turner, full of suspense and mystery.

Frank is one of the patients in the critical care ward believed to be in a complete vegetative state, but he is not, he is trapped in his body. He hears everything and sees everything going on around him in the hospital, he just can't move, he can only stare.

Cassie is emitted in the bed across from Frank after getting hit by a car and left in a
Barbara Beswick
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a find this book was. Of all the books in all the bookshops, I chose you, and boy you didn't disappoint! The kind of story I devour in a couple of days, it has characters so believable, you actually know them. I swear! I know you Nurse Alice. You are the kind, lovely, trustworthy nurse everyone would choose to have as their carer. And you Jack. Alright, you're a bit of a mummy's boy, but you can be forgiven right? You're handsome, hard-working and devoted, - aren't you? The way the story's ...more
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
I enjoyed the fact that this book developed the characters who appear in the book, especially the way in which miscarriages and marriages were explored. However, I wasn't a huge fan of Emily Elgar's writing. I honestly started reading it and thought that the writing was terrible. It reminded me of when my writing teacher in junior high told me to add more creative language (e.g. similes, metaphors, personification, imagery) into my essays and then telling me to take it all out again because it w ...more
Pat
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh no not another coma patient story. Think again. This was quite different and quite fraught as Frank, who could hear everything, struggled with how to warn someone that Cassie was in danger. It was really very well done.
Lady Delacour
Lovers of soap operas,
here's a mystery for you.
Listened with TTS.
Clean.
Foul Language.
Elaine
If You Knew Her wasn't as bad as I thought; it just wasn't good enough to warrant more than two stars because it was filled with the stereotypical tropes of domestic thrillers.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Alice is the ward nurse at St. Catherine's on 9B, where the most serious and grievously injured patients are brought.

Here, she has befriended Frank, alive but stuck in locked-in syndrome and the newest patient, Cassie, a young woman with a severe head injury after surviving a hit and run.

The
Chris
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well done psychological thriller! The plot was quite different; told in alternating locations, however, the main location where I felt most of the action was happening, was in the hospital ward 9B of St. Catherine’s aka Kate’s.

9B is an Intensive Care Unit. Cassie, a beautiful young woman, married to Jack, is admitted and placed in this unit after a horrible accident. Frank, another patient on that unit, directly across Cassie’s bed, has something called the locked in syndrome. He can see and
Jodell

• Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Girlwood
  • Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Recognition
  • The Second Cup (The Butterfly Effect, #1)
  • Kill Me Twice (Morgan Vine, #2)
  • If I Die Tonight
  • Incendium (Christopher Radcliff, #1)
  • The Fatal Heir (Gillian Jones Mystery #1)
  • Talus and the Frozen King