Start by marking “The Method” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
How hard will you fight for the one you love?

Frank and Linda's marriage is falling apart. When old friends tell them about an "unconventional therapy retreat" called The Method, they jump at the chance to attend.

Dr. Kaspar's Lone Loon Lodge is a secluded resort deep in the Montana wilds. The staff is friendly. The other couple joining them is intense. But when a death occu
Published June 6th 2017 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Method

Luvtoread
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. It is a psychological thriller with so many twists and turns and then it turns you upside down as if you are on a reading roller coaster. I didn't have any expectations before reading this story, so what a great surprise. I would hate when I had to stop reading and couldn't wait to resume where I had left off. What a great feeling it is when that happens to me, I wish all my books could make me feel this way!
This book is very well written and is edited well. I will d
Montzalee Wittmann
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Method by Duncan Ralston is a book I won with the Kindle Scout program. It is a good intense story that keeps you reading. It is a little spooky,what is real or staged? There is a murder, lots of tension with other guests, and soon the couple of the story is trying to survive when they came to this hide-a-away to get their marriage back together.
Nev Murray
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"He can write anything, any genre, and make it superb. He can write characters like you have known them all your life. He can put words on paper that completely suck you in and have you sitting with blinkers on as you read so that you hear and see nothing around you while you read. He is that good."

See here for the full review:

Addy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! This was not at all what I expected. At first it seemed like our troubled couple, Linda and Frank, were on this amazing retreat to get better that may or may not require some extreme hiking or survival. However, there were quite a bit of twists and turns and this “Method” kind of blows you out of the water! Be ready for quite a few surprises as this book takes you down a few paths you won’t be anticipating. The writing itself between the characters is the type of stuff I love. Definitely fe ...more
Adam Smith
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Duncan Ralston's The Method is a brutal exploration of a relationship falling apart; Linda and Frank's last gasp effort to save their marriage; a weekend getaway at Lone Loon Lodge to undergo The Method — whatever that is. Recommended to them by mutual friends who were experiencing similar issues, but who are now closer than ever, it seemed like a good idea. What could go wrong?

Full review: https://culturedvultures.com/method-d...
Bill
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Marriage on the rocks?
Lost that spark in your relationship?
Need to rekindle the ole flame?

Never fear. Dr. Kapser’s Lone Loon Lodges couple’s retreat will heal your ailing spirits and make you feel like you’ve fallen in love all over again.

Well…
Maybe, not exactly like that. But, hey, love is messy sometimes.

A quick and crazy one from the quick and crazy mind of Duncan Ralston.

“I was given this free review copy of this audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review."
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
I am a big fan of Duncan Ralston. I loved his extreme novella, Woom, and I also loved the brooding supernatural novel, Salvage. The Method is very different to both of those books, which is good because it shows Ralston is anything but predictable. Whilst I enjoyed this book, it didn’t really blow me away from an originality perspective like Woom did, nor did I engage with the characters as much as I did with Owen Saddler from Salvage.

The concept of The Method is built around an expensive retrea
Lorraine
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Method is AWESOME!!

The Method will make you not to want to go on any remote get a ways! From start to finish, this story will hold you to the very end. A very surprising end!!
Darren Dilnott
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Duncan Ralston's latest offering The Method, is an uncomfortable, twisting journey, where nothing is quite what it seems. As always Duncan gives a brilliantly written story, with a dialogue so tight and unforced, with tangible characters. It's a spooky tale of paranoia, where the reader simply can't fathom what's real and what's staged.
One of my favourite writers, who never, ever, fails to deliver original, and solid stories.
Shadow Girl
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review posted soon :)
Andrew
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Method is an unconventional couples therapy retreat that Frank and Linda hear about from some friends who attended. The treatment saved their relationship. Frank and Linda decide this might be what they need to reconnect and save their marriage. The treatment is expensive and as it turns out, not just financially so.

The setting is a remote lodge in the middle of the Montana wilderness. Surrounded by forests and a lake, it’s isolated and picturesque. Phones and other distractions are taken aw
Justin M.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Duncan Ralston never disappoints. THE METHOD is a perfect psychological thriller. Sadistic, messing with the reader as much as the characters he has so lovingly created. I loved it.
Brian Barr
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great novel that moves at the pace of a movie, making 300 pages feel like 100. Fun characters with a great look at marriage and the possibilities of divorce due to confusion and despair. Lots of action and turns on the plot line. I loved every minute of reading The Method.
Tony
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

“Marriage problems? I’d recommend divorce before rerolling in ‘The Method’”

A few months back I nominated ‘The Method’ for possible publication for a new venture by Amazon called ‘Kindle Scout’ where by reading previews and a voting system readers can help choose which books will be published on kindle. As Duncan is both well known in the horror community, and has an entertaining online presence, I was not surprised ‘The Method’ was picked up for publication. Because I voted for this book, I rec
Chad
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a highly enjoyable thriller from an author who knows his craft. The setup of the story is fairly straightforward, a couple who decides to go on an out of the way, retreat for couples trying to mend their relationship. From that point on, the story takes on a life of its own.

I have read a number of Ralston's books and with each successive one he manages to show me something a little different. Far from the dark supernatural of Salvage or the grossness of Woom, he has woven together a bri
Bec
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The ending of The Method was predictable, but it had some unpredictable twists along the way. I didn't find the book as suspenseful as I would have liked as I had a nagging feeling about some of the plot. It got a bit bizarre in parts, but I still wanted to finish to piece all the bits together.
I was confused with the first chapter of the book as it started with a bang, then chapter 2 seemed to come out of the blue in a completely different location and time. This would have been easier to under
Scott
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing read from Duncan Ralston. The Method is a fast paced and insane. Is it predictable? Yes and no. I found myself going back and forth asking myself "what is really going on here."

Frank and Linda have had a difficult last few years, and as I learned why, I drew closer to these characters. Not much more can be said without giving too much away. The journey is intense, at times cruel and simply hard to put down.

I loved his first novel Salvage so much, that I already think it'll be hi
Krystal
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! I was NOT expecting this book to be all that great, I don't know why, but it was freaking amazing!!
It's full of suspense, that will keep you turning the page, it will keep you on the edge of your seat, there are sooo many twists and surprises in the story to keep you up at night reading.
It actually kinda freaked me out a little bit!!
Susan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow

Awesome book! Unique plot, full of suspense, drama, mystery, and action. It kept me guessing until the end. I will be following this author.
Lydian Faust
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to finally receive "The Method" after reading the excerpt and nominating it for publication via Kindle Scout. I'm a fan of Ralston's work, especially his ability to meld genres, and this book didn't disappoint! The story follows Frank and Linda, a married couple on the rocks, who agree to attend a radical marriage therapy session on the recommendation of their friends. Frank and Linda have no idea just how radical The Method actually is. This thriller is full of suspense, conspirac ...more
BookNerdsBrainDump
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short Take: DOH!!! Ya got me!!

So I snagged a copy of this one recently, and I’ll be honest: I didn’t expect to like it very much. From what I had seen of some of the author’s other work, he’s an extreme horror kind of guy, and although I’m not bothered overmuch by the occasional gory scene, it’s not something I really seek out. I tend to go more for psychological horror - the thing that just might be hanging out in the closet always affects me more than the dripping decapitated head.

But I found
Ronald Keeler
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A psychological thriller of 312 pages, The Method by Duncan Ralston is available through Kindle Unlimited for free reading. I nominated this book for selection through the Kindle Scout Program. The novel was selected so I received it at no cost and it appears on the Amazon site as a verified purchase. And then there is the remaining option of purchasing it for USD 2.99. It is a clever story with lots of twists and turns revealed through the muddled minds and thinking of the characters. The reade ...more
Misty
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this story. While I can see the horror elements to this story I wasn't scared or really even creeper out while reading. There were some cringe moments but nothing that really made me jump. I felt the pacing of the story and the character development was great and did not leave me wanting. However, the ending was a bit predictable and the author kind of gave it away.

The Method is an extreme form of marriage counseling that leaves the couple in a constant state of bewilderment, par
Joan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I received an advance copy for voting for this book in The Kindle Scout program and you should really give this book a read if you love the extreme horror genre.
There are so many twists and turns in this book it will make your head spin in an amazing horrific way. This is why I don't sign up for self improvement and relationship courses.
Well done Duncan Ralston, you made me care for characters that really at times weren't that likable. I'm really looking forward to whatever horror you write next
Cindy Jensen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marriage therapy gone wild

This is a story for those who are in the midst of a marriage crisis. The Method is a treatment that can either make you or break you. But it does give you something to think about. I really enjoyed the book by one of my favorite authors.
Paula
May 18, 2017 added it
Intense and full of fast-paced action! Check out my full review here... https://horrornovelreviews.com/2017/0...
Kelly
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
***3.5 stars***
Shelly
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Up until about I was about 80% through I was enjoying the story and I think if the author had gone with the obvious plot line (which I'm not sure how to reference without spoilers) it would have been an okay read but instead of just being kind of "out there" he went way WAY out there to the point where suspension of disbelief simply wasn't possible for me anymore. When I roll my eyes and mutter "really?!" while reading a book you know you've lost me.
Steve
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a pretty solid horror novel involving a couple who is struggling in their relationship. On the advice of some friends they participate in a retreat that is designed to help them sort things out and become like their old selves again, only not everything goes as expected.

The story gets pretty intense and there is some graphic violence, which is pretty expected with this type of novel. In some places I felt it was a little bit too movie-like, sort of like the story was trying to present it
Mark M J Green
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Linda Moffat has recently recovered from her battle with cancer, but rather than it bringing her closer to her husband Frank, her recovery has driven a wedge between them and now all they seem to do is argue.
After hearing about a couple’s retreat that uses unconventional, yet cutting edge techniques known as The Method, the pair of them decide to give their marriage one final shot at revival.

However as you’ve probably noticed from the use of the word ‘unconventional’ nothing is going to run smoo
« previous 1 3 next »
Duncan Ralston was born in Toronto and spent his teens in small-town Ontario. As a "grownup," Duncan lives with his girlfriend and their dog in Toronto, where he writes dark fiction about the things that frighten, sicken, and delight him. In addition to his twisted short stories found in GRISTLE & BONE and VIDEO NASTIES, the anthologies THE DEVIL'S GUESTS, EASTER EGGS & BUNNY BOILERS, WHAT ...more
More about Duncan Ralston

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)