Start by marking “An Ill-Fated Sky (A Star-Reckoner's Legacy, #2)” as Want to Read:
An Ill-Fated Sky (A Star-Reckoner's Legacy, #2)

An Ill-Fated Sky

(A Star-Reckoner's Legacy #2)

Tirdad will forsake honour. With his sword, or on it.

All his life, Tirdad has been an honourable man. Right until the point where honour made him run his sword through his beloved cousin, ending her rebellion.

Wracked with guilt, Tirdad is ready to forsake his honour, forget the past, and forge a new path ahead, but in a cruel twist of fate, Tirdad becomes bonded to the bl

To ask other readers questions about An Ill-Fated Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ill-Fated Sky

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book of this series a long time ago, it was one of the first self-published books I picked up, actually. Darrell is an active member of r/fantasy and usually has a funny quip so I figured why not?

If you haven't read the first one, you should start there. It's a stand-alone and can be read that way, but I'm so glad the story has continued on with Tirdad. Also, if you haven't read the first one, this review will be super spoilery regarding the first book.

The events of this book
Jessica
More in depth review to come in the next couple of days. I enjoyed A Star Reckoner's Lot, but An Ill Fated Sky is even better!

Edit: Full Review

My least favorite character in the first book of the series (A Star Reckoner's Lot) was Tirdad, so it's no wonder that I waited for over a year to read the sequel that follows his life. But oh, how wrong I was, and I so wish that I hadn't put it off for so long. Before I get started I need to warn you that this review has some pretty mighty spoilers for
WhiteCollarWarlock
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: secondary-world, 2018
I firmly believe that the best way to "fix" a controversial ending is to forge ahead with a sequel, smoothing the rough edges over, taking to heart what criticism you deem reasonable without compromising your vision. An Ill-Fated Sky is a great example of this approach, and I hope those who loved A Star-Reckoner's Lot but had issues with the last few chapters will give it a chance. I know I was one of them, although after some research and deliberation, I grew to appreciate the ending.

The short
Dave
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional sequel!

I liked the first book in this series, but this book takes everything that I found enjoyable about A Star-Reckoner's Lot and improves upon it. Once again, I found the Sasanian Iranian setting and it's mythology to be fascinating. It is a rich and unique fantasy setting that I was happy to return to. This book picks up immediately after book 1, so I don't want to go too much into characters or plot in an effort to stay spoiler-free for people that may be new to this series.
Wol
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Warning: This review contains major spoilers for A Star-Reckoner’s Lot.

There’s something a bit magical about a novel that picks up right where the previous one left off. So frequently there’s a time gap between entries, and characters have progressed and grown ‘offscreen’ – while that’s often enjoyable and an easy way to set a second entry apart from the first, for readers who really love some character development to chew on it can leave you wanting. Especially when, as in A Star-Reckoner’s Lot
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
An Ill-fated Sky returns us to the Sasanian Iran inspired world of A Star Reckoners Lot, directly after the events of book one. If you loved the first book, then this one will be a real treat. If you didn’t love the first book because of that super divisive turn of events, then you still need to read this one anyway. This book gives us some insight into Ashtadukht, and sheds light on the choices she made in the first novel.

Really, pretty much everything about this story revolves around Ashtadu
Rachel Noel
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Book received from the author for an honest review.

There's a lot of reasons I'm giving this book a 5 out of 5. The characters were wonderful to read about. The dialogue had an enjoyable blend of exposition, character development and humor. The world was even more intriguing as I got to learn more about it.

It feels like there were a lot of improvements between this book and the one before it. In the previous book, the time skips would throw me off for several pages. In this book, everything flo
Tam
An Ill-Fated Sky picks up right where the first book in the series, A Star-Reckoner’s Lot, finished. However, the focus of the book has dramatically shifted. Instead of Ashtadukt and how she deals with her pain and grief, we follow Tirdad and how he deals with his past actions. Darrell follows up on his original premise, and once again creates a very unique fantasy story. This is the second book in the series, so I’m going to be careful with what I say and avoid spoilers. You can also check out ...more
Hobart
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Honour, at all costs.

So steadfast in its pursuit, Tirdad had never stopped to consider that anything that had to be done at all costs, shouldn’t be done at all. For all his talk of moderation, he had never thought to apply that to honour.

Only now did it dawn on him.

I probably can't get away with just telling you all to go buy and read this -- and the first, too, if you haven't. So I won't try. But that's the tak
Lukas Müller
wanderer (Para)
Jun 11, 2018
Hiu Gregg
Darrell Drake
May 08, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
K.S.
is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2018
Ryan
Jul 17, 2018
Darrell Drake has spent years researching Sasanian Iran, and while he’s no scholar, his zeal for the late antique empire is plain. Besides his novels, Darrell works with members of the community to bring mods to Sid Meier’s Civilization VI. He spends his free time gaming, reading, modding, birdwatching, shitposting, running the r/Fantasy Discord, and most of all, with his cat, Grillgamesh.

A Star-Reckoner's Legacy (3 books)
  • A Star-Reckoner's Lot (A Star-Reckoner's Legacy, #1)
  • The Thousand-Notched Axe (A Star-Reckoner's Legacy, #3)
“So you’re playing without a plan at all then?”

“Sometimes the plan isn’t yours,” she said. “Can only glimpse it. Make the moves they demand of you. Doesn’t mean you aren’t, aren’t into the game.” Shkarag returned the board, which freed her hands to fish for another flask.”
1 likes