Start by marking “When My Heart Joins the Thousand” as Want to Read:
When My Heart Joins the Thousand

When My Heart Joins the Thousand

Obviously I’m not what most people would describe as happy. But that has nothing to do with anything. Happiness is not a priority. Survival is.

Alvie Fitz doesn’t fit in, and she doesn’t care. She’s spent years swallowing meds and bad advice from doctors and social workers. Adjust, adapt. Pretend to be normal. It sounds so easy.

If she can make it to her eighteenth birthday
Published February 6th 2018 by HarperTeen

C.G. Drews
So this was just super heartfelt and just GOOD. Also slow. I won't deny I found the pacing and lack of things happening a little tedious (but I'm the kind of person who finds sleeping tedious because I WANT TO MOVE; so take that onboard). But like altogether it's the kind of book I want people to read when they want to know how the world treats autistic people?!? It was quite good for the autism rep. (Finally, holy heck.)

And there's also animals! Book references! Sandwiches! Feels! Disabilities
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
I want to preface this review by saying that I am not autistic, not do I suffer from the disability that Stanley suffers from, and I can only speak as an outsider looking in; however, any and all own-voice opinions and reviews would be welcomed and I would be happy to boost your review if you DM me or drop me a comment!

Why did everyone act like it was my fault when the other kids bullied me? Why was I always the one who had to change?

Going into a book with a romance between an autistic MC and
Kat
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
In this YA novel, Alvie, a girl with autism who works at a zoo and wishes to be emancipated, meets and falls for Stanley, a guy with a musculoskeletal disorder who’s in college and has recently suffered a loss. I really like the diversity represented in this one. Alvie and Stanley’s romance was sweet. There were places I wished the book moved faster.

The book did a good job of presenting the viewpoint of characters with two differences, but also contained microaggression towards different-abled
Samantha (WLABB)
Whoa! That was gut punch. Some tears were shed, but by the end, they were happy tears.

This book provided such an interesting look at independence and finding one's self. This was quite an emotional journey, during which I shed many tears. But I can assure you, I was shedding happy tears by the end of this book.

•Pro: I was such an Alvie fan. She was honest, to the point, and quite funny. She was a fantastic narrator, and I loved listening to her observations and musings. I also cared for her so
Jodi Meadows
Heart-squeezing emotion.
Jessica (novelcravings)
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at NOVELcravings, review copy courtesy of Harper Collins.

This is one of those books that upon finishing it, I hugged it tightly to my chest. And I know that it is undoubtedly one of the best books of 2018 and I wish more people were talking about it! The author had me fall in love with her characters, care greatly for their journey and put me through every emotion possible. It was both movingly beautiful and painfully heartbreaking. If you read When My Heart Joins The Thousand,
Misty
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to review this book. I thought that it was a good read, but at times it seemed kind of over the top.

You don't hear many 17 year olds living on their own and it seemed like Alvie was on her own since she was 15 with a full time job and her own apartment. I'm way older than her, have a full time job, but still can't live in my own apartment. She was doing pretty good for herself and then the last 100 pages, everything seemed to full apart for Alvie, but then things got good again
Lisa
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc
This book did an excellent job of making me care about its characters. Alvie is a 17-year old girl with Asperger's, and her journey is one that is emotional and awful and beautiful. I so rooted for her!

I'm so glad that books like this one and TV shows like Atypical are depicting those on the autism scale who seem often misunderstood and mistreated. It feels like a small glimpse into their lives, and I appreciated this book's unflinching look there.

This is great story that truly moved me - I hope
Madison
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
When My Heart Joins The Thousand offers a beautiful insight into growing up and learning to accept your self.

Alvie has only another year until she will legally be free - free from fear of being returned to the foster care system, free to continue living on her own terms, free from the continual assessment of others as seeing her as something different, something other. When a young man enters the sphere of her daily routine she is at first shaken, but then takes up the opportunity to prove that
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
"Becoming too attached too quickly can be just as detrimental as solitude."

"Love can make people irrational, cause them to behave stupidly and recklessly. Or worse. I don't associate love with safety or warmth; I associate it with fear, with losing control. With drowning."

"I want to make him understand that the scars don't matter, the pain and fear doesn't matter, because he is my life mate and I know that in every cell of my body."

Soundtrack: I Knew This Would Be Love by Imaginary Future
Büşra Köprü

"Söylediklerine odaklanmaya çalışıyordum fakat hayallere dalmıştım, kendimi sesine kaptırmıştım."

#busunkitapligiyorumluyor

Kitabı genel olarak sevdiğimi söyleyebilirim ama çok mu harikaydı, çok mu sevdim, çok mu etkilendim diye sorarsak cevabımız malum: Hayır.

Kitabın potansiyeli bir hayli yüksekti. Eğer kitap gerçekten bahsi geçen hastalıklar ve bunun bir insanın psikolojisine yapabilecekleri üzerine olsaydı daha başarılı bir kitap olabileceğini düşünüyorum ama bunun yerine kitabın içine bence
Thorn
I'm so torn about this book as a disabled person. On one hand, there was some decent-ish disability rep, but on the other hand, some of it was stereotypical and my biggest issue that there's a loooot of internalized ableism that was not really appropriately dealt with and it just rubbed me the wrong way. :/
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book was a bit of a surprise for me. I went into it not remembering much about the storyline---I honestly just remembered that a blogger friend adored it and she made me add it to my TBR.

The story focuses on Alvie, a girl with autism, and her struggles to find her way in the world and get people to see her as a fully functioning member of society.

I have to stop here to say that I don't have autism myself, though I
Marcel Haußmann
Jeder von uns ist ein Rätsel von A.J. Steiger ist leider noch nicht so präsent in den sozialen Medien wie es eigentlich sein müsste. Das Buch beschäftigt sich mit dem Thema Autismus und ist deshalb ein sehr wichtiger Titel der unbedingt mehr Aufmerksamkeit braucht.

In dem Buch geht es um Alvie,die es relativ schwer hat soziale Kontakte zu knüpfen da sie an einer Form des Autismus leidet: Asperger! Sie ist intelligent, sehr zurückhaltend, mit Emotionen kann sie wenig anfangen aber mit Tieren kommt
Kelly Hager
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book. It's an unconventional love story between two imperfect people. Alvie is hard to like (she's not good with people at all) and Stanley is incredibly shy and both bear scars from their respective families. Life has not been particularly kind to either of them. And yet, they've managed to carve out their spaces in the world. When they meet, they manage to form a friendship that---of course, right?---becomes something else.

And yet this love story defies expectations at
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

As a sort of disclaimer before this review: I just want to say that I am in no way able to review this as someone who personally understands either Asperger's or the medical condition Stanley suffers from, as I have neither. I can only review this book as an outsider looking in. :)

That being said, I loved this book!

Alvie was a lovely character. She is 17 years old and seeking emancipation so that she can avoid being “in the system” until she is 18
Carla A
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
DaNae
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two fragile people combine to create a stronger whole. Most honest romance I've read in years. Fans of Matthew Quick, have a look.
Mina
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
"To me, she was always Mama. I never found out who she was outside of that. I'll never have the chance."
Jessica
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully told story, wow.
Manamee h
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5★★★★✩
Rehan Abd Jamil
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Watership down.
Jamie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well that was equal parts beautiful and harrowing. As all good YA is, I suppose. That said, it's the third book I've read in 36 hours with a female first-person protagonist suffering from social anxiety or mental illness or autism or etc. I need a break.
Melissa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
It's been a couple of weeks since I finished this book, and I've been struggling to find the words to write this review. It's often easier to write reviews for books that are flawed, but harder to write reviews for books that I loved, especially when they touched my heart in such a unique way. When My Heart Joins the Thousand is one of those books.

I feel like this book will fly under the radar this year, and this makes me wish that I had one of those blogs with thousands of readers so that I cou
Anne Oftedahl
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
THIS IS SO GOOD!!

I absolutely love the voice in this, and the overall story, and all the characteristics, and just... everything!
Only thing I can pick on is the fact that, while Alvie is meant to be diagnosed with Asperger's, I'd say from her behaviour and thought process, and especially the thing about touch, that she's closer to Autism. I know Asperger's is on the Autism spectrum, and I am absolutely no expert, but as both my brother and one of my flat-mates are diagnosed with Asperger's, this
Becka Woodard
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The reason I gave it three stars, however, is because I'm tired of seeing the story where the boy shows up and seems to solve all the girl's problems.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
MY RATING: 4/5 STARS
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book guys. This book made ripped me open, exposed the ugliest bits of me, made me cry and laugh, made me feel, and made me everything. My Heart Joins the Thousand has got to be my favourite read this entire year so far and I know 2018 just started but I know it'll be a top favourite book of mine by the time December comes along.

My Heart Joins the Thousand tells the story of Alvie, a girl who has aspe
Sonja Lovinbooks
Wow, dieses Buch hat mich regelrecht umgehauen. Zum einen finde ich das Cover sehr schön und zum anderen spürt man gleich auf den ersten Seiten, dass dieses Buch etwas Besonderes ist. Wenn es den Königskinder Verlag noch geben würde, dann hätte dieses hier auf jeden Fall super reingepasst.

Aber warum hat mich dieses Buch nun so umgehauen? Ganz einfach: Weil es echt ist, weil es emotional ist ohne überladen zu sein. Weil es mich berührt hat.

Alvie ist eine Autistin und mit der Diagnose "Asperger
Celia McMahon
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book...I don't even know where to start. It was everything you should read. I'm going to go ahead and say it is up there with my favorite books of the year so far.

This book follows Alvie, a seventeen-year-old girl with Asperger syndrome living on her own awaiting the day when she can legally be called an adult. Going outside of her comfort zone, she strikes up a friendship with a boy who suffers from a condition called osteogenesis imperfecta. In simple terms, he has fragile bones that brea
Jeanette
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve been wanting to read more YA - a couple current things, lots of good ones from years past to catch up on - so I picked up this one, and damn, was it depressing and uncomfy from the very beginning. Throughout the story, this feeling softened as I grew to root for the characters, but part of me wishes there wasn’t quite so much trauma in there, or that we could have known more about the characters’ lives prior to when those tragedies took over. However, this means there was lots for readers t ...more
A. J. Steiger graduated from Columbia College in Chicago, where she majored in fiction writing. She has lived her whole life in the Chicago suburbs, though she enjoys regular visits to other galaxies and dimensions in her mind. She's a freelance writer and transcriptionist with an enthusiasm for anime and pancake houses.

Mindwalker is her first book for young adults.
“I wouldn’t give up a single minute of the time I’ve spent with you. Not even the difficult parts.” 6 likes
“Are you okay?” he asks, breathless. “Yes,” I reply, just as breathless. I think it’s strange that he’s asking me that when he’s the one who tripped.” 1 likes