Start by marking “Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg” as Want to Read:
Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The New York Times bestselling biography Notorious RBG—whose concept originated with a Tumblr page of the same name—is now available in a vibrant, full-color young readers’ edition.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has become an icon to millions. Her tireless fight for equality and women’s rights has inspired not only great strides in the workforce but has impacted
Published November 28th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition

Start your review of Notorious RBG Young Readers' Edition: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Connie D
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing life, fascinating book.

I decided to read the young readers' edition due to time; sometimes I like them just as much as adult versions, but this time I think I would have preferred the adult one. There is simply so much information and so many cases mentioned in this book. I would have enjoyed a little more time with each case.
Ms. Yingling
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gift to the Blendon Middle School Library

I don't know how I missed this wonderful book; it's certainly something we need right now. Young people need to read books about people who are passionately devoted to making the world a better place, despite the personal sacrifices that have to be made. Bader Ginsburg is a bit older than my mother and is an inspiration for everyone, no matter what the politics. Anyone who can keep working at a very demanding job at the age of 86 is to be admired, even if
Rebecca Sofferman
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fascinating person is Ruth Bader Ginsberg! I loved learning about her life and incredible legacy. The format of the book (many sidebars, photos, and anecdotes) will be appealing to younger readers. As an adult, while I found the content to be sound and engaging, the format was a bit jumpy. A sound addition to any school library collection; highly recommended!
Timothy Olson
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, short and enthralling look at the Supreme Court's coolest member: 85 year old Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Ginsburg defied the odds, entering not one, but two ivy league schools when women were, at best, a sideshow in academia and law. She met a man (also studying law) and fell in love. The Ginsburg's personal relationship, especially when contrasted with RGB's no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners advocacy and professionalism was a truly endearing and unexpected insight into one of the most ...more
Martha
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-8-biography
A perceptive 6th grader recommended this book for our library, but warned it's a bit challenging for an elementary school. Of course I had to read it with that recommendation. This honest account of Ruth Bader Ginsburg life from the very beginning is fascinating. Most of the biography focuses on Ruth once she finds her passion for law, helping under served individuals who deserve her support. She has fought especially hard for civil rights and women both deserving equal treatment, and pay. The ...more
HoboWannaBe
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read in two days. Loved learning about this amazing woman and the iconic status she has (and deserves.) Also, I appreciated knowing the support her husband provided which was so instrumental in her life. Great use of images, captions, and doodles. Excellent research and citation; however, the one star was lost due to a few places where opinions seemed inserted by the biographical authors. Just the facts would have been best. Great book! Great person - go RBG!!
Malachi Graul
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie and my dad told me there was a book and I made him order me a copy that night. This is an amazing book and tells a beautiful story that I think will inspire anyone.
Lindsey
A little slow in the beginning (by beginning, I mean first 5 pages) for reluctant readers, but after that, the book really takes off. I love all the pictures of RBG, cartoons, advice lists, quotes, and timelines. It is broken up nicely to engage young readers. On my wishlist for lit circles!
Amy Mckinty
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ginsburg is a remarkable person (I don't think she would like it if I used the word "woman"). If the people who disagree with her speak highly of her, I think that speaks volumes about a person.
Lindsey Knecht
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book it shows that women can do anything they put there mind to.
Amy-Jo Conant
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winner winner chicken dinner! How could I have been so ignorant! Was what I was listening to true? I spent a lot of time calculating years in my head because what I was hearing couldn't be right. So many times in my head I thought to myself wait... that happened when? I thought women had that right much longer than that!

Thank you RUTH! Women everywhere thank you! I am not normally a soapbox kind of person but good heavens was this an eye-opener.

This is a must-read for girls of all ages. I will
H
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The format of this lively biography - with lots of memes, images, and quotes - will likely be appealing to students in grades 5-8 who may not be quite ready for the YA version. Truly RBG is a woman to be reckoned with. Give to students who are interested in biography or who have a biography project, but who may need something with more images and shorter chapters.
Karen Gedeon
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Young Readers’ Edition) by Irin Carmon & Shana Knizhnik – Full of photos, memes and cartoons, this biography will quickly attract student readers as it tells the story of the Supreme Court Justice. Carmon & Knizhnik not only narrate RBG’s life, but also what it was like in the country at the time. Including timelines such as “The Dramatic Changes in Life Since the 1800s” and additions such as “How to Be Like RBG”, those interested ...more
viemag
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My book club decided to read Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon for our May book. I ended up reading the Young Reader's Edition because that was the only copy my library had on the shelf. I found this book to be an interesting read and learned a lot about Ruth Bader Ginsburg's lifelong passion and mission to help people gain civil rights. However, I found the tone of this Young Reader's Edition to be too syrupy in its praise of Ginsburg. It portrayed Ginsburg ...more
Janis
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of "young adult editions" of books, but this came to my school library from a Junior Library Guild subscription. Having become a fan of RBG, I had to read it! It's a well-done adaptation for teens. Some things are glossed over (did Marty stop being a tax attorney, and if so, when?), but it's very up-to-date (includes Neil Gorsuch's entrance into the Supreme Court and a group photo of the current SC). Good read with lots of pics, including both ones from Ginsberg's collection ...more
Jessica
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Notorious RBG has always been a champion in my book. Raised by a true feminist, or equalist, this story tells HERstory, instead of the minimal blips in textbooks beyond just her days in chambers for the Supreme Court.

While the title suggests that this is for young readers, I feel like I took in a high level of information at any easy digestion level. No detail left unturned or dumbed down but rather told in a concise academic manner. If you want to know RBG's tale to the Supreme Court, I highly
Colleen
An excellent intro to the amazing Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The young reader version waters down legalize and makes it easy for the reader to understand; I’d love to read the adult version to see how different they are. Fun illustrations and photos of RBG are peppered throughout. Some of the writing was a bit much (I’m not sure how to describe it...earnest, maybe?), but it did not take away from a quality biography.

If you want very in-depth coverage of certain cases, I’d say look into the adult
Chris
Jun 01, 2018 added it
This book looks almost exactly like Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg so watch out! I checked this out of the library instead of the grownup version. It isn't all that different—just more pics and bullet points. I imagine it would be great for young readers.
Sophia V.
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. It is about both the personal life and work of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. It talks a lot about RBG facing sexism and discrimination as a child, adolescent, and adult, and how her outlook on the world helped to abolish policies that discriminated against both sexes. She was also a very strong supporter of the Civil Rights Movement and LGBTQ+ rights. Overall, she is a very inspirational person and I recommend this book to everyone.
Kristen
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
What a STUD!!! Ruth Bader Ginsburg is not only notorious for her AWESOMENESS in my humble opinion, she is an incredible role model in every way imaginable. Additionally, her very special relationship with her supportive/loving/wonderful husband is one that everyone should be lucky to have. I just LOVE that RBG has become such a recognized figure who has inspired a new generation. Just ordered this book for my school library and can't WAIT to book talk it to classes next year.
Kate Waggoner
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
I enjoyed learning about the amazing, inspiring, and notorious Ruth Bader Ginsburg. This book covers her personal and professional life and introduces younger readers to the world RBG lived in and worked (and continues to work) to change. This is a very short read, but it is packed with facts, information, and humor. Though quite informational, the writing is friendly and pulls the reader in, making them feel like they know RBG. I'm excited to share this book with my students.
Deborah
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting book and a fascinating person. She certainly accomplished a lot! I never knew the story of how her career got started. My favorite things in this book were#1) how she worked for women's equality by defending a man first. #2) her MIL have her earplugs and told her that sometimes in marriage it pays to be a little deaf. #3) Despite being a brilliant lawyer and judge she had some flaws (she failed her driver's test five times, she couldn't cook, and she couldn't sing) proving ...more
Lena
If I could give this ten stars and make it required reading in all schools, I would. This book is amazing because Ruth Bader Ginsberg is amazing. I learned a lot about women in law, which I'd never really thought about in-depth. It made me feel fired up and inspired, not angry. Ruth is truly an inspiration, and all boys and girls should learn about her amazing drive, work ethic, and sense of rightness and fairness. What an amazing human being.
Cynthia
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Checked this out before realizing that it was the "Young Readers' Edition". Lots of illustrations, time lines and graphics. RBG is a dynamo still at 86 years of age. She sets a great example for young people today - and for mature people as well! She continues to fight, with her position, brains and influence for the things that she cares about. She is ferocious yet maintains a civil tone. She is a hero for our time!
Heather Layne
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, the young readers edition. Whatever, that's the brain capacity and time I have for books right now. I liked how they made all the complicated legal terms and systems easy to understand. The sections within chapters were only a page or two long which made it easy to pick up and put down and then pick back up. What an amazing, amazing lady! <3
Alicia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a biography nonfiction book, because it tells the story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life. The intended audience is 3rd-7th grade, because it is a longer read but it keeps readers engaged with pictures throughout. I paired this book with President of the Whole Fifth Grade by Sherri Winston, because both books focus on a girl who overcomes obstacles to become what she wants to be.
Suzanne
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nicole
Sweet and informative. What a positive woman - thank you for fighting for us with words and wisdom, RBG!

"Can't spell truth without Ruth."

"That's right, three exclamation points. Do not mess with Ruth." (page 56)

"'When fathers take equal responsibility for the care of their children, that's when women will truly be liberated.'" (page 130)
Kim
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful biography for upper elementary and above. I love RBG so I might be biased in my review. A great introduction to one of the greatest legal minds who experienced sexism while trying to work as a lawyer and as a judge. Before she was on the Supreme Court she argued in front of the SC for women equality. She rocks!
Ricardo Sandoval
I enjoyed this book very much, I found RBG biography very inspiring. I liked that it explains legal terms in a very simple language. I recommend this book if you're interested in gender subjects and judiciary subjects.
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! While tagged as a children’s book, I found it to be totally appropriate and engaging for teen and adult readers. I already thought RBG was cool, but now I’m pretty much in love with her.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
  • Other Words for Home
  • Look Both Ways
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets
  • Front Desk
  • The Crossover
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
  • Final Fall (Lock & Mori, #3)
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • Mary Shelley: The Strange True Tale of Frankenstein's Creator
  • Katt vs. Dogg
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • This Day in June
Irin Carmon is an Israeli-American journalist and commentator. She is a national reporter at MSNBC, covering women, politics, and culture for the website and on air. She is a Visiting Fellow in the Program for the Study of Reproductive Justice at Yale Law School.

In 2011, she was named one of Forbes' "30 under 30" in media and featured in New York Magazine as a face of young feminism. She received
“Royal Canadian Air Force exercise plan,” 0 likes
“Eleanor Roosevelt, said, ‘Anger, resentment, envy. These are emotions that just sap your energy. They’re not productive and don’t get you anyplace, so get over it.” 0 likes