Start by marking “Margot and Mateo Save the World” as Want to Read:
Margot and Mateo Save the World

Margot and Mateo Save the World

A hilarious—and slimy—alien adventure (set on Earth) that the bestselling author of Zombie Chasers, John Kloepfer, calls "fast paced, out-of-this-world fun!" Selected by the Wisconsin Library Association for Outstanding Achievement in children's literature.

When Margot Blumenthal removes a bright blue slug alien attached to Mateo Flores’s back, the school play co-stars know
Published July 3rd 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Margot and Mateo Save the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margot and Mateo Save the World

Start your review of Margot and Mateo Save the World
Scott
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dying to know what Sarah Rutthead's nick-name was in the 5th grade. I suppose some mysteries will have to remain mysteries. Perhaps it will be addressed in a sequel?
Pop Bop
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Touches All of the Bases

This is a cheerful, surprisingly funny, occasionally edgy, and fast paced alien invasion school daze adventure that features two appealing and resourceful heroes and a more interesting than usual cast of supporting characters.

Margot, the loner and new girl at school notices Mateo, a popular regular guy, acting oddly, (irritable and aggressive), and finds he has a slimy blue alien thing attached to his back. She pulls the thing off of him and the story takes off from there
Sasha
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nenenoms
I really enjoyed the snark. Margot's little asides tickled me. The realistic reflection of tweens interacting and developing friendships was spot on, like Chelsea is along for the ride, (it's not HER fault).

This was such a fast read for me, the pacing was perfect, there weren't any spots where it dragged on. The characters were decently developed and nuianced.
I love how Margot is a flawed person, but was the heroine who drove the story forward and Mateo was more of a sidekick.

Adults were helpfu
Kristin Crouch
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Margot and Mateo become unlikely allies when Margot notices Mateo's unusual behavior and a rippling tentacle "snaking slowly up his neck." With all but one adult either infected or unapproachable, they realize they have to solve this problem on their own...together.
Margot and Mateo features strong, intelligent kids, quick moving adventure, and keeps readers attention right up until the very last page. I, for one, am hoping for a sequel!
Gail
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still trying to decide if I liked it quite as much as I liked Roll, but I totally enjoyed this. You will never see me turn down an epic adventure where friends defeat alien slime monsters with the help of an overly-enthusiastic scientist with a tendency for head trauma. It was hilarious and heart-warming at the same time. Man, I love Darcy Miller.
Emily Carlyn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is adventurous and SALTY! And not just because they’re by the ocean. Margot & Mateo ate unlikely heroes because they aren’t even friends in the beginning of the book (although they are starting in Romeo & Juliet together). This is a hilarious middle grade novel, just for the plot! ...more
Christopher Garth
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Margot and Mateo arrive at school they have no idea what is about to transpire. But two new friends work together to save each other, their families and perhaps even the world when they learn to work together.
Alecia
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chris Garth
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, funny, and fast-paced with a sweetness buried inside.
Meredith
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nonstop action. And Dr. Smalls looking up "foot cancer" made me lawl. This will be an easy sell to get kids reading RICBA books.
Sara-Zoe Patterson
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5thgrade, scifi
Fun alien killing sci-fi lite with two interesting and unique characters.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
A hilarious -- and slimy -- alien adventure on Earth!
PWRL
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Jarrett Lerner
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book like a ravenous, goo-coated alien queen. Pitch-perfect, furiously paced, fantastically exciting, and just HILARIOUS.
Michael Knolla
Invasion of the Body Snatchers for Kids. A nice way to start introducing a kid to weird fiction. My son loved it.
Bexa
This was a really fun story. I enjoy the way Miller writes her female characters. I enjoyed the male female friendship with no need to make it awkward. Very good read for middle schoolers.
Ms. Yingling
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Margot is new to West Cover middle school, and her day isn't going well. There is a giant whale decomposing on the beach near her, and a kid on her bus, Mateo, is acting weird. She follows him, and realizes he has something tentacled and slimy clinging to his back. Luckily, she is an Olympic bound wrestler and uses her moves to take Mateo down and get the creature off him. They are soon joined by Calvin, a scientist who is supposed to be giving a talk at
Laura Mossa
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Special thanks to author Darcy Miller for sending an ARC to my #bookexcursion group. All opinions are my own.

Blue-streaked haired Margot Blumenthal is a newcomer to West Cove Middle School.  Considered a lock for the United States national freestyle wrestling team, she is intimidating to both students and teachers.  On the way to school, Margot notices her school play co-star Mateo Flores acting erratic.   She confronts him and finds a bright blue slug attached to his back and courageously remo
Amber Sternitzke
Mar 05, 2019
Janet
Sep 03, 2018
Cris
rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2019

• The Train of Lost Things
  • Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man
  • Monster Mayhem
  • Nightbooks
  • Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
  • Just Like Jackie
  • Property of the Rebel Librarian
  • Inkling
  • Bob
  • Pie in the Sky
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches
Darcy Miller is the author of ROLL (Winner of the 2018 Burr/Worzalla Award * A CCBC Choices 2018 Pick * A Bank Street Best Children's Book of 2017) and MARGOT AND MATEO SAVE THE WORLD (Booklist Starred Review). She lives with her librarian husband and two small children in Wisconsin.