Start by marking “The Academy” as Want to Read:
The Academy

The Academy

Frankie Brooks knows what she wants in life: to become the worlds next great fashion editor. All she needs to do is get into the elite American Fashion Academy in New York City. If she gets in, her life plans will be going right on schedule. Anna Wintour, watch out.

But after Frankie messes up one too many timeshey, its hard keeping up with classwork and an acclaimed
Published May 22nd 2018 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of The Academy
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 4/5

ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

[Frankie Brooks knows what she wants in life: to become the worlds next great fashion editor. But when she messes up too many times, her parents come up with entirely different plans for her future: military school. How is Frankie, the least athletic person in the world, who knows absolutely nothing about the military, going to survive a whole semester at the famedand feared Academy?]

{This premise reminded me of the movie Cadet
3.5/5 stars

The Academy is a Young Adult novel. The narrator is 15 year old Frances/Frankie (the story is told in 1st person POV).

Right before reading this book I did not re-read the book blurb. So I really did not even realize the basic premise of this story. All I knew was that Frankie loved fashion and that she was a teen fashion blogger. I loved this part of the story. Frankie wanted to go to fashion school. And I actually really wish that is what this story was about. But it's about a
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Actual Rating 3.75
Frankie, who is a lifestyle blogger and die heart fashionista, but made some mistakes So her parents decided to send her military school as her life is so lacking discipline. Where she met Joni and Jack who made her life easy in military school.

The story was cute and fuzzy, I really enjoyed reading it. The writing wasnt perfect for me sometimes I got bored but that was for a short duration.

Frankie is interesting as well as an annoying character, I was constantly rolling my eyes
Maryam Dinzly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just randomly picked up this book and loved it. Legit.
Madison
Secret confession: I adore the movie Cadet Kelly. You know, the one staring Hilary Duff about an artistic young girl who gets sent to military school. Mayhem ensues. So this book, The Academy, just called my name and insisted that I read it. The Devil Wears Prada meets Private Benjamin? Yes, please! Sign me up. It shares many similarities to the above mentioned movies. The Academy is at times laugh-out-loud funny and adventurous, but also focuses on the main character learning something about ...more
Angela
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
After cheating on a chemistry test and throwing a party while her parents were away, Frankie's parents decide that military school would be a good place for her to learn some discipline and get her grades back on track. Frankie, however, would rather work on her fashion blog and is appalled at her new situation.

For most of the book, Frankie is the most unlikable character. She is at times snobby, snotty, disrespectful, immature, and materialistic. The only thing she seems to care about is her
Jen Ryland
Apr 28, 2018 marked it as setting-aside-for-now
Wanted to try this as I love fish-out-of-water stories but after a few chapters it just wasn't grabbing me.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Make clothes, not war.

Unfortunately, I dont really have many positive things to say about The Academy, and Im kinda crushed because I wanted to love this so much. We follow fashionista Frankie Brooks as shes sent to military school after some poor choices on her part. Frankie must learn to navigate military school with discipline and style if she wants to prove to her parents, and herself, that shes strong and capable of more than she ever dreamed.

I think my biggest problem with the story
Nara
The Academy was an easy read that I would put more on the younger end of the young adult spectrum rather than a book for everyone.

The main character wasn't necessarily the most likeable, but one thing that was good was that she does improve on her flaws throughout the novel. She has a relatively young-sounding narrative voice, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it immature, it did feel quite borderline.

I would probably say I did like the novel overall, but I'm not sure that there are any
✨ elsa ✨
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked this predictable contemporary. Its not usual to see one of these, but i liked it. I thought the ending was a bit too soon, I would have loved to see many more challenges for Francis. Plus, we just saw her plan for the fashion project, but we didnt even get to actually see the ceremony. Im a bit disappointed with that, but overall it was a pretty good book.

Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book. All opinions are my own and as honest as they
Emily Ann
This ended on a huge cliffhanger, and there are no signs of a sequel..? Did it not get picked up by a publisher to have a sequel orrrr?
Lindsey
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the military aspect of the book, but some of the plot was just unnecessary.
Andge (Down the Rabbit Hole)
Blog | Twitter

**The Academy comes out May 22, 2018**

Thank you Edelweiss and HarperCollins for this copy in exchange for an honest review

I'm not sure quite what to make of The Academy but if I could sum it up in two words, it'd be discipline + fashion-obsessed.

Do those 2 words even go together? Have you ever really thought of them in the same context? 'Cause I didn't. Before.

Frankie was kind of a naive and spoiled girl at the beginning of the book. She didn't like to the follow the rules, but at
(Love, Stars and Books)
I received a free eARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Theres only one very good life and thats the life you know you want and you make it yourself.

Title: The Academy (Release date: 22nd May 2018)
Author: Katie Sise
Format: eARC
Genre: YA, contemporary, Romance
Rating: 3/5 stars
[Synopsis] (Taken from goodreads)

Isa
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alones
Brittany (BritReadsBooks)
*I received a copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

When I first discovered this book my first thought was Oh my God its Cadet Kelly in book form. But, it was definitely a slower paced story and Frankies character was younger than I was expecting. There was also a lot of focus placed on the fashion side of things, which I didnt really relate to as much.

Frankie is a rebellious fashion-obsessed girl who is not afraid to break the rules and often gets in trouble.
Jenny Ashby
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Frankie is such a nice character which was such a happy surprise for me as I was expecting this to just be the standard formula of shallow-girl-learns-a-lesson. Her priorities are a bit messed up as the book begins, but Frankie's heart is in the right place in terms of how she treats people all around her. She truly believes in the power of fashion and uses her knowledge of it for good and to recognize people for their choices, which made me realize that pretty much every other depiction of ...more
Teresa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I love, love, love the movie Private Benjamin..and while I liked this book I just liked it. Frankie started as a selfish, whiny girl who only wanted to focus on fashion, no matter the cost to her life or the lives around her. When her parents find out that she has done something so awful they decide the only course of action is to ship Frankie off to a military boarding school (her grandfather attended). Of course, Frankie is fish out of water when she starts ...more
Aishvarya Pujar
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like this book deserves more hype than it already has.
It seems very frivolous when you first read it but there is so much depth and importance in the message that the author wants to send out through this book.

This book is perfect for young adults working towards breaking into the industry they like, be it the fashion industry or film or whatever.

The plot is intriguing, and the setting is very interesting. It's a short read because the message Katie Sise wants to give her readers
Kat
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and Balzer+Bray publishing for the E-Arc copy of this novel.
Frankie Brooks is zeroed in on fashion, but her parents are tired of her continuous lack of focus on anything else. They decide that a semester or more at military school might fix the problem. Frankie is adamant about not going, but once she ends up there it might be the best thing that ever happens to her. Frankie finds that judging a book by it's cover goes both ways. She might be more than they bargained for
Charmaine
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Vapid and annoying with an unlikeable protagonist. Perhaps this review is a bit unfair because I'm not the biggest fashionista. But seriously, I felt like American patriotism was marred in this book. It was so predictable! Of course she gets with the love interest, cleans up her act, and still maintains a passion for fashion. Eye roll. I wanted Frankie to face real struggles, not get everything she wanted, and actually learn her lesson. Life sure is peachy-keen for the privileged, eh? The other ...more
Shir
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was entertaining - a young fashionista is sent to military boarding school - and I thought that there was a lot of room for exploration of some of the themes of the book. However, the book seemed to cut off part of the way through the story, with no indication of a forthcoming sequel. What about Frankie's leadership project? What about how she interacts with her friends from home, given how much she's changed? Does she remain at the Academy for the rest of high school, or does she ...more
Nicole Lintemuth
Claire
Frankie is barely sufferable- she is self absorbed and indulged. When her antics move beyond the pale her parents send her to the Academy, a military school.
Her first few weeks are gaspworthy as she indicates that she just might be incorrigible. As the weeks pass and she has a chance to reflect on her behavior, her values become apparent and abhorrent to herself and ever so slowly she starts to change and grow.
The transformation is ultimately rewarding- who knew there was a real girl under the
Salla (Booksonal)
*ARC kindly provided by the publisher Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review!*

Full review up on the blog:
booksonal.blogspot.fi

Stars: ✦✦✦✧✧

So what did I think?

I chose the book on a whim since it reminded me of Cadet Kelly. Some Romance, friendships the importance of family and working hard.
After reading I can say it's Legally Blonde but with military aspects instead of law, for young teens.
>> Fun and quick and would recommend to teens interested in the description or the
JC
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, I loved this book. The whole plot line was straight to the point. I just felt in love by the relationship between Frankie (her name is awesome btw) and Jack and Joni. This was not a childish story teaching on how girls can get catty over a guy. No, the girls respected each other to at least be civil enough. Theres also the fact of learning to be responsible in bigger ways than one could think. Ugh, this story was too adorable. Also, I feel like doing my own blog now because of this. ...more
Emily Kazmierski
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

Likes:

I really liked the main character. She was funny.

The love interest was strong and sweet

The fashion was fun to read about

Dislikes:

Why are her parents so mean? Shipping her off to military school was way harsh.

The MCs commanding officer, Sturtevant, was also a brat.

A tad predictable.

Overall this was a fun, quick read.
Hamna
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
One thing I loved about our main character here is that she's so relatable. There are so many moments where she literally doesn't know what to say when people tell her about personal tragedies or unfortunate events, and I honestly feel that so much. She's also funny and doesn't come off as just a floofy-brained fashionista.
4 lovely stars for that!
Michelle Eisele
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so adorable. If they made Cadet Kelly into a book, this is it. It's obviously not exactly the same, but the part about a budding fashionista being forced into military school and then growing to love it is. It's so cute!
Day
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The heroine was so unlikable and I would not care if she had character development, but there wasn't any or much of it. She was acting like a spoiled child and kept justifying it by being a "fashion girl"
It's a pity, because it had potential.

• Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • Notes from My Captivity
  • Wild Blue Wonder
  • Sorority
  • Fiery Surrender (Trinity Masters Book 11)
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • Serious Moonlight