Start by marking “Artemis” as Want to Read:
Artemis

Artemis

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  167,868 ratings  ·  19,822 reviews
The bestselling author of The Martian returns with an irresistible new near-future thriller—a heist story set on the moon.

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when y
Published November 14th 2017 by Crown/Archetype

To ask other readers questions about Artemis, please sign up.

·  167,868 ratings  ·  19,822 reviews

Start your review of Artemis
Emily May
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, arc, sci-fi
1 1/2 stars. I really wish I could say I liked this. A couple of years back, I gave in to the hype and read Weir's The Martian, and I have to say-- I loved it. The scary scenario of being stranded so far away from everything and everyone you know, the very high probability that Mark Watney wouldn't survive, his chirpy sense of humour that keeps him going... unfortunately,Artemis's plot is convoluted and less exciting. And Jazz Bashara is SO ANNOYING.

Look, I completely get why Mark Watney annoyed
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A new book from Andy Weir? Happening on the moon? A heist where the main character survives with her scientific knowledge?
COUNT ME IN!!

I was so excited for this book but I didn't end up loving nearly as much as The Martian.

Even though I liked the overall idea, I didn't like the characters and the constant jokes and insults felt incredibly forced.

The main character Jazz, a 26 years old woman, was talking and thinking like a cringy 15 years old boy. She mentions a few times her appearance and sexu
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Yay for my book winning 2017 GR award 😄

This book freaking rocks!!

No, seriously. The book does have science in it but it's not too bad. This is mostly about Jazz who has lived on the moon since she was 6 and now she's in her 20's. Her dad lives on the moon too but they had a falling out and she makes it on her own by doing. . . things.

I love the character of Jazz. She's funny and does crazy things but never anything to hurt any one.

AND SHE LIVES ON THE MOON!

Jazz doesn't live in the good part
j e w e l s
Apologies in advance. You're not gonna like what I have to say.

This is not the review I was expecting to write, but this is not the book I was expecting to read.

Andy Weir has successfully taken the one element I didn't like in THE MARTIAN and expanded on that until ARTEMIS is almost a chore to read. Major disappointment.

Remember our hero, Mark, in The Martian? His jokey, sarcastic personality started to grate on my nerves towards the end of the book. It's like he never quit with the relentless
Shaun Hutchinson
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awful. It's not just awful, it's offensive and immature and badly written. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I'd enjoyed The Martian and hoped the followup would be fun in a similar way. It wasn't. There was nothing fun about this book.

Let's start with Jazz: Jazz Bashara is a Saudi woman written the way a white guy who's never spoken to or met a single woman in his entire life would write her. She talks about her boobs and being naked and makes sexual innuendos about EVERYTHING
Matthew
When Artemis first came out I started seeing lots of one and two star reviews. Not wanting to spoil the book, I didn't read them very in depth. But, the star situation had me concerned as I was looking forward to this book as I enjoyed The Martian very much. Was I in for a big letdown?

Lucky for me, the book was a 4 star experience!

Thoughts on why others rated it so low - these are just guesses, I may be totally wrong:

It is not The Martian - sometimes when people are a huge fan of a book they are
Cristina Monica
Seems to me that Andy Weir rushed to write this book.

Oh man, what a disappointment. And an even bigger disappointment that it won the science fiction category of the Goodreads Choice Awards. (Just because the author is popular.)

To be honest, I didn’t even realize Jazz Bashara was a woman until specific pronouns were used. That certainly did not take long, but even after I made that realization, I couldn’t shake the feeling that Jazz’s personality matched that of a man more.

But that’s probably be
Bradley
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great.

I admit to worrying that he wouldn't be able to keep up the quality from The Martian, and this is definitely a very different kind of tale from that, being half a heist novel but otherwise just a great adventure, but he pulls it off. Better than pulling it off, even. I love his characters and the feel of the moon city, Artemis, is vital and detailed.

But you know what the best part is?

I was thoroughly entertained during the entire read. The pacing is great, the reveals belie
Raeleen Lemay
I HAVE SUCH MIXED FEELINGS.

The first half of this book was very fun, and the plot was interesting and all that. The only thing that bugged me was the writing style, which I suppose is similar to The Martian, but I felt it was a better fit with that story, and with Artemis it just felt forced. Other than that though, I was loving it! This book could have easily been 4 or 5 stars from me.

Then, around the halfway point, the book sort of lost me. The overall plot for this story is Jazz performing a
Kemper
I received a free advance copy of this for review from NetGalley.

M-O-O-N. That spells Andy Weir’s new novel. (OK, if you haven’t read Stephen King’s The Stand that joke won’t make sense to you, but rather than think that’s a failure of my review I’m going to say that it’s your own fault for not having read The Stand. Serves you right.)

It’s the near future, and there’s a city on the moon called Artemis. Jazz Bashara is a young woman who has grown up there, and knowing the place like the back of h
Will Byrnes
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
description
Artemis - image from BusinessInsider.com

Jasmine (Jazz) Bashara has a problem. She is 26 and close to being homeless, which is illegal where she lives. Back on Earth she would have had a lot of company, but living in Artemis, the moon’s only city, population two thousand, laying low is a bit tougher. She used to live with her father, but is too embarrassed to go back, having had a tiny accident in his workplace, smoking weed there with a pal, and…ummm…pretty much burning it down. Oopsy. She slee
megs_bookrack
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jazz Bashara lives on Artemis, a moon colony with its own social structure and commerce.

Estranged from her father, she has been making ends meet by functioning as a smuggler on the black market, mostly hustling small-scale vice items. One day a very rich man makes Jazz an offer she cannot refuse.

What follows is a story of girl trying to make up for past mistakes, while trying to survive the best she can, with a little corporate sabotage sprinkled on top.

I really enjoyed this book. The world tha
Hannah Greendale
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

Artemis is a bit of a ruffian. It's a chemistry-centric novel that sees myriad genres marrying together into a hard-edged, unrefined heist novel with action, adventure and splashes of mystery. Gone is the seriousness and grand stakes of its predecessor, The Martian, and in its place is a book with significantly lower stakes and a slightly controversial protagonist.

Jazz Bashara is a rogue, smart and capa
Kayla Dawn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-books
Biggest disappointment of the year.

The writing style was weird, Weir's "humor" was only based on his main character being female and the story was just boring.
Oh and the characters were as one dimensional as it can get.

I skipped a fair amount of pages and I rarely do that. That's how bored and annoyed I was.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Overall a decent read even though I had some issues with the book (listed below).
The good and the ugly: We start at 0!
+ 1 star for the light-hearted banter
- 1 star for stupid sex ennuendos, promiscuity bashing or whatever
+ 1 star for the world-building
+ 1 star for the readability
+ 1 star for the clear cut style
- 1 star for this gal's stupidity and total immaturity
+ 1 star for the science present (there was some of it, not all good, but some)
+ 1 star for the fact that we have got no loooong mu
Paromjit
I never read The Martian but am aware that it is a hugely popular book and movie. I don't read much science fiction but I loved Artemis. Weir goes into a lot of depth and detail in his world building of a city on the moon that has adopted Kenyan time, with its 5 bubbles named after famous astronauts with their own distinct identities and linked by tunnels. What made this book such a great read for me is the complex character of 26 year old Jazz Bashara, a woman that breaks every stereotype of a ...more
Larry H
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 3 and 3.5 stars here.

Although it has been a few years since Andy Weir published The Martian , he hasn't been missing from the literary world, thanks to his sharing a number of free super-short stories with the reading public. ( Annie's Day remains my favorite of the bunch.) Even so, I was anxious for him to come out with a new novel.

Artemis is the first city on the moon. While wealthy tourists get to experience the city's luxuries, for the ordinary citizens living there
jessica
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book is a masterclass for how male authors should never write a female character. like, never ever ever. i honestly have never read such terrible characterisation before and i can only think of two reasons for why that is.
1. andy weir just copied what he wrote for mark in ‘the martian’ and pasted it into this book. or,
2. andy weir has somehow managed to never meet a woman in his entire life.
i think AW was just rushing through to quickly put out a book while he could ride on the success of ‘
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale today! 3.25 stars - sadly, I'm dropping down from my initial "soft" 4 star rating, on further reflection. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Life in Artemis, the only human city on the moon, is rough for Jasmine Bashara, a 26 year old delivery person, smuggler, and would-be tourist guide. She fails her EVA (extravehicular activity) Guild exam in, literally, breathtaking fashion; she’s somewhat estranged from her welder father, to whom she owes a huge personal debt; she’s living al
Katie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did a bunch of male redditor stereotypes get together and create a "sexy" protagonist and write this? Because that's what it felt like.

It's a no from me. Video review will be up next week :D

Edit/Note: I go on reddit every single day. I was making a joke that the protagonist felt like a cliche of what men want women to be like. It's not an awful book. I just had a few issues with the plot/pacing I'll talk about in my video review.
Henry Avila
The Moon... during the futuristic years , the 2080's, set on its only city Artemis ( ancient Greek goddess of the Moon), granted not much in comparison to Earth's urban centers, just 2,000 people living inside five crowded, connected spheres (bubbles), mostly underground, small living spaces, few parks, little hotels for the tourists, entertainment essentially non- existent... The views largely obstructed; outside a black night, as a gigantic half Earth above slowly transverse the sky ...shall w ...more
Justin Tate
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than The Martian--and I LOVED The Martian! Like Weir's last blockbuster novel, Artemis is essentially a science textbook hidden within an enthralling sci-fi adventure. Full of personality and geek-out moments, it may not be for everyone, but even if you're just 10% into science you're going to love this book.

The whole cast of characters are brilliantly drawn and the imaginary moon city is so believable it barely reads as science fiction. The action starts right away and never lets up. Eas
Lyn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They’re not Martians.

Don’t call them Loonies either.

With some very subtle nods to Heinlein’s 1966 masterpiece The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Andy Weir returns to outer space after his fabulously well to do debut novel.

Some SF fans were excited about a revisit to The Martian and others were apprehensive, fearing a Sea of Tranquility sized let down. Weir neither tried to recreate The Martian nor did he run out of gas on the way to Houston. Artemis is a different kind of story with its own charms, n
Philip
2.5ish stars.

Right off the bat I'll just say, I think the first half of this book is awful. It was like Weir conceded that plot set-up and characterization are things that novels should include, so he gave it his best shot and attempted to cover up his lack of ability in those areas by making lots and lots of (middle school) jokes. Once the heist starts, the action kicks in, and the surprisingly believable and interesting technical, science-y bits come into play, the book hits its stride and sh
Natalie Monroe
"A story about a city on the moon with a female lead."

First thing that popped in my head:

Sam Quixote
Sep 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In space, no-one can hear you yawn…

I try to include plot summaries at the top of my reviews for context but I can’t do it for Fartemis - every time I think about this trash my mind collapses out of exhausted, frustrated, sheer boredom! The protagonist is a smuggler called Jazz Bashara. It’s set on the moon city of Fartemis. There’s a laughable half-assed “heist” plot. Oh, and I fucking haaaated reading it! AARRGH, GET IT AWAY FROM MEEEE!

To be fair, I didn’t like Andy Weir’s last novel, The Mar
Dannii Elle
Original rating at 4 stars yet weeks after reading this I still keep thinking about the originality of this epic plot. I think it is only fair to award this the full 5 stars. I think this was even better than The Martian!

Jazz Bashara resides in and adores her moon-colony-home, Artemis. She is one independent lady and clever individual, who uses these skills to alleviate her position. She is also a criminal, who isn't afraid to bend the laws that govern her world to her own monetary advantage.

But
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Artemis is currently super cheap to buy!!

30% off at Book Depository (with free international shipping)
40% off at Amazon US
and 30% off at Amazon UK

This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books

4.5/5

A heist on the moon.

A heist. On THE MOON.

A HEIST ON THE MOON.

A few years ago I read The Martian because my sister forcefully said I had to. So I picked it up, not knowing much about the premise apart from "dude gets stuck on Mars." I was expecting it to be dark and intense. So imagin
Carol
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dangerous Place to Live....the Moon.

Andy Weir, one of my favorite authors, serves up another winner with his new sci-fi thriller ARTEMIS....and Jazz Bashara is the spirited and defiant main attraction.

Jasmine/Jazz is basically a good person, has a smart mouth, works as a lowly Porter, and drives around in a cart she named Trigger. AND.... despite her sideline of smuggling AND superior IQ, she still lives in a room the size of a coffin....literally....and wants out!

SO.... with an offer she can't

Berit☀️✨
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, blog-tour
4 Out of this World Stars🌑 🌟🌟🌟🌟

It has been quite some time since I’ve read a book that did not take place on earth in contemporary times... so this book was very refreshing and a lot of fun! I really enjoyed The martian even though it was not my typical reading genre... this book had shades of The martian, but if you go into this book expecting a repeat you will be disappointed... this book had a younger vibe to it, a much different storyline, and its own cast of sarcastic sassy characters....

Ja
Play Book Tag: [Poll Book Tally] Artemis by Andy Weir 3 stars 6 13 Jun 13, 2020 10:21AM
Goodreads România: Citeste cu mine: Artemis, de Andy Weir 10 46 Apr 28, 2020 01:56AM
Play Book Tag: [Poll Ballot] Artemis - 3 stars 3 18 Jan 12, 2020 10:54AM
Finally book club: Artemis discussion 29 13 Aug 16, 2019 08:36AM

• The Octunnumi Fosbit Files Prologue
  • First Encounter
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • Glass World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 13)
  • Armada
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1)
  • Dark Matter
  • Recursion
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2)
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more

Articles featuring this book

“On a scale from one to ‘invade Russia in winter,’ how stupid is this plan?” 90 likes
“It’s a simple idiot-proofing scheme that’s very effective. But no idiot-proofing can overcome a determined idiot.” 64 likes