Start by marking “Battle Scars” as Want to Read:
Battle Scars

Battle Scars

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  568 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
They say time heals all wounds, but sometimes it does just the opposite. The pain festers, seeping deep into your heart. By the time you’ve realized what happened, it’s too late and you’re left with a scar that will never go away.

I’ve spent the last year hiding my scars, running from the man who gave them to me. What I thought was love turned out to be a nightmare that won
Published June 2017 by Black Ink

To ask other readers questions about Battle Scars, please sign up.
Colleen Mc (The Book Lover Blog) The Love is Messy Duet Series consists of 2 duets.

Love is Messy Duet (Luke and Lexi)
Hot Mess, Book 1
Twice Burned, Book 2

Love is Messy Duet (Cole and…more
The Love is Messy Duet Series consists of 2 duets.

Love is Messy Duet (Luke and Lexi)
Hot Mess, Book 1
Twice Burned, Book 2

Love is Messy Duet (Cole and Ana)
Bad Things, Book 1
Battle Scars, Book 2

(less)

Hanne
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
Battle Scars is the fantastic conclusion of Ana and Cole’s love story. It picked up right where Bad Things ended. It had been a while since I read that book, but I still remember many things about it. I couldn’t wait to start this book. I really loved this novel and their whole love story actually!

In Bad Things, I got to know Ana and Cole and I read how they grew close to each other. They really liked each other and they liked spending time together (inside and outside the bedroom). The falling
Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I was so looking forward to Cole and Ana's HEA and while I enjoyed the relationship building for this couple, I felt like the build up with Steven was a non-event. And for something that was such a huge part of this story, it took away from my overall feelings for the book.

Full review to come.
April Symes
The second instalment in the Love Is Messy Duet called Battle Scars features Cole and Ana’s story is blazing hot and full of suspense and tons of passion. It picks up where book 1 left off- Ana was asleep in Cole's bed while he went out for coffee, donuts and a bouquet of Gerbera daisies. When he returns there is a strange man on his porch whom he had seen around hanging around and sort of following him. He wanted Cole to do something for him and Cole told him to call his office. It was actually ...more
Lisa Hemming
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ana and Cole continue their intense relationship in "Battle Scars," the second part in the Love is Messy Duet by Emily Goodwin . The last time we saw them, Ana was asleep in Cole's bed while he went out for coffee, donuts and a bouquet of Gerbera daisies. Upon his return, he saw a strange guy on his porch who he had also seen at the diner. He asked Cole if he would read his manuscript and Cole told him to call his office. It was actually Steven, Ana's crazy stalker ex-boyfriend. He had followed ...more
Kim
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two battered souls that are only looking for someone to love and love them back. But when your past starts to creep up on you .. you won't know who will be stalked next. Can the love that Cole and Ana have for each other stay strong between the stalking of ex lovers and hidden secrets old and new ..

They each have some soul searching to do to make sure being with each other's is worth the risk of loosing it ALL .. them selves !!

Loved Loved this second series !! The twist and turns that you would
Bookworm Between the Sheets
Shelves: arcs
Broken hearts Cole & Ana are thrown through the ringer with a stalker, secret workplace romance, Cole’s boss mingling in his dating life, and just the regular past heartbreak all trying to distance their white-hot attraction for each other. Battle Scars is a great ending to THAT cliffhanger that we were left with in Bad Things.

Make sure to pick up this duet and see if Cole & Ana are able to break free from their Battle Scars or let the outsider influences send them down a separate path….
My Girlfriend's Couch Blog
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Recognizing Love When It's Right In Front of You Stars!!
Reviewed by Franci Neill

Well, Ms. Goodwin left us with quite the cliffie in Bad Things and we pick right back up at that same scene in Battle Scars. And let me tell you my heart was beating so fast wanting to find out what was going to happen next!

Cole and Ana are feeling their way through this burgeoning romance but there's quite a few obstacles in their way both physical and emotional. Regardless of that though, their pull towards e
Jennifer Pierson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Battle Scars is the second, and final part to Cole and Ana's story, so I must remind people that they need to read Bad Things first. This story finds Ana and Cole trying to navigate through a new relationship together, while they work on getting rid of past demons. But unfortunately, there are still secrets waiting in the wings to be revealed, and a dangerous shadow looming. Since this is the perfect ending to their story, I'm not coming off much, because seriously, just go read it! Although, An ...more
Bloggers From Down Under
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
** Provided on behalf of the author for an honest review **
** Review by Gayle from Bloggers From Down Under **

The second instalment in the Love Is Messy Duet, we get Cole and Ana's story.

I have been waiting so patiently for this novel, so when it landed in my kindle it was excitement central.
I desperately wanted to know what happened with Cole and Ana.
And I finally got the answers that I had so patiently (or not so patiently) waited for.

Ana, an up and coming new author, Cole her editor.
They fa
Sarah O'Kelly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!

I recently read that Emily was originally only going to write the one book in this series but the words just kept coming and it turned into 4!

Hot Mess was the first of Emily's books that I had read and I absolutely loved it and this made me read so many more of them.

We met Cole and Ana and got to see another side to Cole, which I have to say I was happy to see this side of him as I really didn't like him in the previous 2 books of the series!

We have been able to see
Natasha
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited to jump into this story, especially with how Bad Things ended.

Battle Scars is book 2 in the Love is Messy Duet, & it continues to follow Diana’s & Cole’s story & relationship. Can their relationship last through the strains of working together? Can they over come their crazy pasts, and move into a better future? Or are they on a collision course for heartbreak and disaster?

I absolutely still love Cole. Even if he believes he’s the villain in his own story- and he
Caroline F
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fab conclusion to Cole and Ana’s story.

“There’s really no denying it anymore, I’m falling for this woman, and I’m plummeting fast.”

Cole and Ana are still in a tentative place in their relationship, both fearful to rock the boat by pushing for something more, and also hiding details about their pasts.

“Wherever he is, is where I want to be.”

Ana is almost in a limbo state, in terms of her living arrangements, but when a face from Ana’s past comes back into her life, it affects not just h
Kimberly
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Battle Scars is the conclusion to Bad Things, which left us all with a small cliffhanger.

I was very curious to see where that part of the story went, and for me it was mostly a non-event.

What ended up really holding my attention was the developing relationship between Cole and Ana, and how they learn to trust and share their pasts with each other. This was the real heart of the story.

I enjoyed watching their relationship grow, and they're interacting with each other's families.

What bothered me
Corrie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Battle Scars took me on a WILD ride!  Continuing on from book one, Battle Scars digs deep into the love story of Ana and Cole.  I absolutely loved the connection these two had...they had a great respect for one another, which showed in the handling of one another's pasts, and the heat between these two could burn up the pages of the novel itself...if I were reading a paperback.  Hot, hot, HOT!

And yet all at the same time, there was a slight hesitance from both as the memory of past heartbreak h
SℓιM
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cole & Ana 😱🍓 finally had those babies I wanted them to have Lol 😝🖤

Loved it...

This story was good though it took me awhile to finish and I felt like it was never going to end lol! I guess I couldn’t finish it off due to I’m in college and gotta work around my reading and homework/assignment and reading the books for my classes. Lol.

Spoilers...

I love Cole and Ana story at first I didn’t know who the heck was Diana at first when I read the first book. Bu
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads ARC Review:

Can I just say how much I ADORED Cole after Battle Scars and how much this book had me weeping, sighing, my emotions bouncing every which way and the way Cole seemed not only less cold, but probably is one of the most magnificent heroes EVER written has me in such a state, I can't even describe it! OMG this story was so...SOOOOOO GOOD. There was so much scary situations from the ex and the way Cole was determined to protect Diana, was so heart-melting and touchi
Sassy Southern
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I've been waiting on this book it seems forever but not really. And I'm not disappointed at all!!! I loved Cole and Ana finale all except it was the finale. I loved these two couples that are entwined in these books and want more!! I'm not sure how I'm going to write this review and not give anything away so it might be short. Of course you need to read the first book Bad Things or you will be totally lost. Cole and Ana have a lot of obstacles to go through to be together and Cole m
Lisa Stinson
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic conclusion to Cole and Ana's story. I honestly didn't want it to end. I absolutely loved how she was able to open his heart and show that he could love and be able to receive true love as well. Cole was always so incredibly hard on himself, it almost hurt to read it. Deep down he was such a good man that only need the right woman to open him up. Ana was perfect for him and I just loved how they were with each other.

Of course there were times I just wanted him to open up to
The Book Fairy Reviews
Scars aren't only on the outside. They are hidden scars, scars that only your soul can recognize, well not only your soul, the soul of another that has suffered will recognize the battle scars.
Cole had those scars and suffered them alone. The guilt of the way he treated his brother, the jealousy and envy were things that tortured his soul, strained relationships and made him keep himself apart. When he meets Ana, well, all of those things changed for him. He let go of the things he held regret f
Juli
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book (given by Hype PR)...

After the cliffhanger in Bad Things I really expected this book to have more action especially with the appearance of Steven, but the story fell a little flat for me. I felt that for most of this book Ana and Cole just kept repeating their same insecurities they had in the previous book and didn't really make any strides to overcome them. Also I have to say the way they handled the Steven situation was very sloppy and dange
Colleen Mc (The Book Lover Blog)
4.5*Stars!
When I got to the last page of Bad Things I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Battle Scars to find out how everything would turn out for Cole and Ana. Well, the wait is over! Battle Scars is mysterious and sweet, and I fell more and more in love with Cole and Ana with each passing chapter.

I think what I like most about Cole and Ana is how real and relatable they are. I was invested in their relationship and I felt like the rate in which their feelings grew and changed throughout the cou
Tina Morgan
Donna Wright
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it

Right! Where do I begin. Well I have to say after a hell of a cliffhanger at the end of the last book. I have been left a little disappointed if I am completely honest. I like the book don't get me wrong but it fell flat and seem to go nowhere for me.

The story was sweet and the relationship that began to build and build was really good but it sort went around in circles and the story had no substance to it in my opinion. Cole and Ana make a great couple and the way she pulls Cole out
Kathryn  CLiK Book Blog
Battle Scars - Emily Goodwin

I was given this book for an honest and unbiased review.

**** 4 STARS

This is the conclusion to Cole and Ana's story from the previous book, Bad Things.

Cole and Anna didn't have such brilliant pasts but their emotional and physical connection is further explored in this book and a few secrets and some further story elements revealed.

I was thoroughly absorbed by Cole and Anna's relationship, though Emily Goodwin showed us more of the emotional side than the physical t
She's a Lip Biter

Right! Where do I begin? Well, I have to say after a hell of a cliffhanger at the end of the last book. I have been left a little disappointed if I am completely honest. I like the book don't get me wrong but it fell flat and seem to go nowhere for me.

Konny
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Battle Scars by Emily Goodwin is the second book in the Love is Messy Duet spinoff.
Book one is Bad Things
Battle Scars is the conclusion to Cole and Anas story.
Cole is Lukes brother and Lexis boss. He is lonely and on the sidelines of his brothers family life.
But he is also very career driven. And then comes a new writer, Diana.
Cole wants her, bad; but he also wants the promotion.
I didnt like Cole much in Hot Mess. He was cold, petty and angry.
But now in Bad Things and especially in Battle Scar
paigeanne23
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Ana and Cole have a rough ride. Cole is trying to get a big promotion at work but doesn't want people there to know he's with Ana because he is her editor/publisher. He thinks they won't pick him for that. Ana has a crazy ex, Steven, who just can't let her go. He begins to infiltrate both their lives. He has a moment where he's successful. Cole lies and Ana is there to see it. But in the end we all have battle scars that we push through for for the right person. They do ...more
Nardia Barnes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here we take off where book one finished. Ana and Cole slowly finding their way as a couple, but with both their pasts throwing them big hurtles along the way.

Now I must admit, with all the hurdles that seemed to be building for this couple, I would of liked to have seen a bit more actually affect this couple, not because I'm sadistic, but because I wanted to see how the extra stress on their relationship could affect them, in a good way.

Plus you will be pleased to know that Ana and Cole finally
Beth McLeod
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read all of the Love is Messy books. While I did enjoy them, and they kept me on the edge of my seat, I did find myself disappointed in the second part of both stories. I was looking forward to read Cole's story, which surprised me because he was very unlikable in Hot Mess/Twice Burned. But he won me over right away, because we've all made mistakes. I felt like Battle Scars was a bit rushed, and would have loved to have gotten to the same conclusion with a little more depth along the way. ...more
Natasha
4* read.

This is the second book in this series and the final one in this duet, the first book must be read before this one as this carries on from where book one left off.

Cole and Ana are both relatable characters who you instanly connect to and thats carried through into this book too. I did feel that the whole suspenful side of the book needed more to it but apart from that I loved the romance and relationship between these tooand it was a good carry on from the first book.

I'll definatly be re
Emily Goodwin is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of over a dozen of romantic titles. Emily writes the kind of books she likes to read, and is a sucker for a swoon-worthy bad boy and happily ever afters.

She lives in the midwest with her husband and two daughters. When she's not writing, you can find her riding her horses, hiking, reading, or drinking wine with friends.

Emily is