Start by marking “Battle Scars” as Want to Read:
Battle Scars

Battle Scars

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
They say time heals all wounds, but sometimes it does just the opposite. The pain festers, seeping deep into your heart. By the time you’ve realized what happened, it’s too late and you’re left with a scar that will never go away.

I’ve spent the last year hiding my scars, running from the man who gave them to me. What I thought was love turned out to be a nightmare that won
Published June 2017 by Black Ink

To ask other readers questions about Battle Scars, please sign up.

Colleen Mc (The Book Lover) The Love is Messy Duet Series consists of 2 duets.

Love is Messy Duet (Luke and Lexi)
Hot Mess, Book 1
Twice Burned, Book 2

Love is Messy Duet (Cole and…more
The Love is Messy Duet Series consists of 2 duets.

Love is Messy Duet (Luke and Lexi)
Hot Mess, Book 1
Twice Burned, Book 2

Love is Messy Duet (Cole and Ana)
Bad Things, Book 1
Battle Scars, Book 2

(less)

Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I was so looking forward to Cole and Ana's HEA and while I enjoyed the relationship building for this couple, I felt like the build up with Steven was a non-event. And for something that was such a huge part of this story, it took away from my overall feelings for the book.

Full review to come.
April Symes
The second instalment in the Love Is Messy Duet called Battle Scars features Cole and Ana’s story is blazing hot and full of suspense and tons of passion. It picks up where book 1 left off- Ana was asleep in Cole's bed while he went out for coffee, donuts and a bouquet of Gerbera daisies. When he returns there is a strange man on his porch whom he had seen around hanging around and sort of following him. He wanted Cole to do something for him and Cole told him to call his office. It was actually ...more
Lisa Hemming
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ana and Cole continue their intense relationship in "Battle Scars," the second part in the Love is Messy Duet by Emily Goodwin . The last time we saw them, Ana was asleep in Cole's bed while he went out for coffee, donuts and a bouquet of Gerbera daisies. Upon his return, he saw a strange guy on his porch who he had also seen at the diner. He asked Cole if he would read his manuscript and Cole told him to call his office. It was actually Steven, Ana's crazy stalker ex-boyfriend. He had followed ...more
Bookworm Between the Sheets
Shelves: arcs
Broken hearts Cole & Ana are thrown through the ringer with a stalker, secret workplace romance, Cole’s boss mingling in his dating life, and just the regular past heartbreak all trying to distance their white-hot attraction for each other. Battle Scars is a great ending to THAT cliffhanger that we were left with in Bad Things.

Make sure to pick up this duet and see if Cole & Ana are able to break free from their Battle Scars or let the outsider influences send them down a separate path….
My Girlfriend's Couch Blog
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Recognizing Love When It's Right In Front of You Stars!!
Reviewed by Franci Neill

Well, Ms. Goodwin left us with quite the cliffie in Bad Things and we pick right back up at that same scene in Battle Scars. And let me tell you my heart was beating so fast wanting to find out what was going to happen next!

Cole and Ana are feeling their way through this burgeoning romance but there's quite a few obstacles in their way both physical and emotional. Regardless of that though, their pull towards e
Jennifer Pierson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Battle Scars is the second, and final part to Cole and Ana's story, so I must remind people that they need to read Bad Things first. This story finds Ana and Cole trying to navigate through a new relationship together, while they work on getting rid of past demons. But unfortunately, there are still secrets waiting in the wings to be revealed, and a dangerous shadow looming. Since this is the perfect ending to their story, I'm not coming off much, because seriously, just go read it! Although, An ...more
BFDU
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
** Provided on behalf of the author for an honest review **
** Review by Gayle from Bloggers From Down Under **

The second instalment in the Love Is Messy Duet, we get Cole and Ana's story.

I have been waiting so patiently for this novel, so when it landed in my kindle it was excitement central.
I desperately wanted to know what happened with Cole and Ana.
And I finally got the answers that I had so patiently (or not so patiently) waited for.

Ana, an up and coming new author, Cole her editor.
They fa
Sarah O'Kelly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!

I recently read that Emily was originally only going to write the one book in this series but the words just kept coming and it turned into 4!

Hot Mess was the first of Emily's books that I had read and I absolutely loved it and this made me read so many more of them.

We met Cole and Ana and got to see another side to Cole, which I have to say I was happy to see this side of him as I really didn't like him in the previous 2 books of the series!

We have been able to see
Natasha
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited to jump into this story, especially with how Bad Things ended.

Battle Scars is book 2 in the Love is Messy Duet, & it continues to follow Diana’s & Cole’s story & relationship. Can their relationship last through the strains of working together? Can they over come their crazy pasts, and move into a better future? Or are they on a collision course for heartbreak and disaster?

I absolutely still love Cole. Even if he believes he’s the villain in his own story- and he
Caroline F
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fab conclusion to Cole and Ana’s story.

“There’s really no denying it anymore, I’m falling for this woman, and I’m plummeting fast.”

Cole and Ana are still in a tentative place in their relationship, both fearful to rock the boat by pushing for something more, and also hiding details about their pasts.

“Wherever he is, is where I want to be.”

Ana is almost in a limbo state, in terms of her living arrangements, but when a face from Ana’s past comes back into her life, it affects not just h
Kimberly
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Battle Scars is the conclusion to Bad Things, which left us all with a small cliffhanger.

I was very curious to see where that part of the story went, and for me it was mostly a non-event.

What ended up really holding my attention was the developing relationship between Cole and Ana, and how they learn to trust and share their pasts with each other. This was the real heart of the story.

I enjoyed watching their relationship grow, and they're interacting with each other's families.

What bothered me
Corrie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Battle Scars took me on a WILD ride!  Continuing on from book one, Battle Scars digs deep into the love story of Ana and Cole.  I absolutely loved the connection these two had...they had a great respect for one another, which showed in the handling of one another's pasts, and the heat between these two could burn up the pages of the novel itself...if I were reading a paperback.  Hot, hot, HOT!

And yet all at the same time, there was a slight hesitance from both as the memory of past heartbreak h
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads ARC Review:

Can I just say how much I ADORED Cole after Battle Scars and how much this book had me weeping, sighing, my emotions bouncing every which way and the way Cole seemed not only less cold, but probably is one of the most magnificent heroes EVER written has me in such a state, I can't even describe it! OMG this story was so...SOOOOOO GOOD. There was so much scary situations from the ex and the way Cole was determined to protect Diana, was so heart-melting and touchi
Sassy Southern
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I've been waiting on this book it seems forever but not really. And I'm not disappointed at all!!! I loved Cole and Ana finale all except it was the finale. I loved these two couples that are entwined in these books and want more!! I'm not sure how I'm going to write this review and not give anything away so it might be short. Of course you need to read the first book Bad Things or you will be totally lost. Cole and Ana have a lot of obstacles to go through to be together and Cole m
Lisa Stinson
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic conclusion to Cole and Ana's story. I honestly didn't want it to end. I absolutely loved how she was able to open his heart and show that he could love and be able to receive true love as well. Cole was always so incredibly hard on himself, it almost hurt to read it. Deep down he was such a good man that only need the right woman to open him up. Ana was perfect for him and I just loved how they were with each other.

Of course there were times I just wanted him to open up to
Colleen Mc (The Book Lover)
4.5*Stars!
When I got to the last page of Bad Things I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Battle Scars to find out how everything would turn out for Cole and Ana. Well, the wait is over! Battle Scars is mysterious and sweet, and I fell more and more in love with Cole and Ana with each passing chapter.

I think what I like most about Cole and Ana is how real and relatable they are. I was invested in their relationship and I felt like the rate in which their feelings grew and changed throughout the cou
Tina Morgan
Donna Wright
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it

Right! Where do I begin. Well I have to say after a hell of a cliffhanger at the end of the last book. I have been left a little disappointed if I am completely honest. I like the book don't get me wrong but it fell flat and seem to go nowhere for me.

The story was sweet and the relationship that began to build and build was really good but it sort went around in circles and the story had no substance to it in my opinion. Cole and Ana make a great couple and the way she pulls Cole out
Kathryn Dee - CLiK Book Blog
Battle Scars - Emily Goodwin

I was given this book for an honest and unbiased review.

**** 4 STARS

This is the conclusion to Cole and Ana's story from the previous book, Bad Things.

Cole and Anna didn't have such brilliant pasts but their emotional and physical connection is further explored in this book and a few secrets and some further story elements revealed.

I was thoroughly absorbed by Cole and Anna's relationship, though Emily Goodwin showed us more of the emotional side than the physical t
Konny
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Battle Scars by Emily Goodwin is the second book in the Love is Messy Duet spinoff.
Book one is Bad Things
Battle Scars is the conclusion to Cole and Anas story.
Cole is Lukes brother and Lexis boss. He is lonely and on the sidelines of his brothers family life.
But he is also very career driven. And then comes a new writer, Diana.
Cole wants her, bad; but he also wants the promotion.
I didnt like Cole much in Hot Mess. He was cold, petty and angry.
But now in Bad Things and especially in Battle Scar
paigeanne23
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Ana and Cole have a rough ride. Cole is trying to get a big promotion at work but doesn't want people there to know he's with Ana because he is her editor/publisher. He thinks they won't pick him for that. Ana has a crazy ex, Steven, who just can't let her go. He begins to infiltrate both their lives. He has a moment where he's successful. Cole lies and Ana is there to see it. But in the end we all have battle scars that we push through for for the right person. They do ...more
Nardia Barnes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here we take off where book one finished. Ana and Cole slowly finding their way as a couple, but with both their pasts throwing them big hurtles along the way.

Now I must admit, with all the hurdles that seemed to be building for this couple, I would of liked to have seen a bit more actually affect this couple, not because I'm sadistic, but because I wanted to see how the extra stress on their relationship could affect them, in a good way.

Plus you will be pleased to know that Ana and Cole finally
Beth McLeod
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read all of the Love is Messy books. While I did enjoy them, and they kept me on the edge of my seat, I did find myself disappointed in the second part of both stories. I was looking forward to read Cole's story, which surprised me because he was very unlikable in Hot Mess/Twice Burned. But he won me over right away, because we've all made mistakes. I felt like Battle Scars was a bit rushed, and would have loved to have gotten to the same conclusion with a little more depth along the way. ...more
Natasha
4* read.

This is the second book in this series and the final one in this duet, the first book must be read before this one as this carries on from where book one left off.

Cole and Ana are both relatable characters who you instanly connect to and thats carried through into this book too. I did feel that the whole suspenful side of the book needed more to it but apart from that I loved the romance and relationship between these tooand it was a good carry on from the first book.

I'll definatly be re
Wendy Livingstone
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ana and Cole’s story continues, and Steven her crazy ex boyfriend has been released from jail, and is once again after Ana, who fears that Cole and his family will be hurt along the way. This is an intense storyline, with suspense, lies, secrets, and love. This author never disappoints with her work, and this one is certainly no different. I was hooked and intrigued throughout. Looking forward to reading more of this authors work.
Michelle Monroe
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had a thing for Cole since Hot Mess....I know I know, he was the 'asshole' brother, but there was just something about him that appealed to me. I knew there was a big soft heart in there somewhere, he just needed a good woman to pull it out! 😉

Ana is the perfect woman for Cole, she challenges him, keeps him on his toes and shows him that there is more to life than just his career.

I'm so happy that Cole got his HEA too! I been rooting for him since the beginning!
Lisa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Battle Scars is the emotional hot story of Cole and Diana (Ana). This was an emotional and sexy read, full of angst and picks up where the cliffhanger in Bad Things left off.

Both have many obstacles and secrets from their past that they are trying to overcome.

"I'm nowhere near close to telling Ana that I love her. But I want to."

When Ana's crazy ex, shows up and starts stalking her, Cole will do anything to keep her safe.

Stefanie Nelson hetland
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review. This is the next book in the series with Cole and Ana. Bad Things left us hanging and Battle Scars picks up right where it ended. I was so looking forward to this book and it did not disappoint at all!! We have mystery with Steven he crazy ex, hot sex scenes, true love, and of course some Luke and Lexi still. Story will keep you on your toes until the end.
Tami czenkus
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect ending to this duet!!
Cole and Ana continue to work on their relationship, while still battling their own demons on top of trying to navigate a new relationship.
I love all of the characters and the relationships they have with one another.
Secrets and lies are NEVER good to have when building trust.
This story is raw and real and I loved every bit of it!! I'm hoping this isn't the last we see this group of characters!!
Rhonda Ziglar
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 PERFECTION STARS!! Wow...This conclusion was awesome it had all the feels and lots of suspense for a page turning story. I loved Cole and Ana's story, these two have had rough relationships in the past and they deserve some happiness. Emily Goodwin is one of my favorite authors and always delivers a 5 star read. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Emily Goodwin is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of over a dozen of romantic titles. Emily writes the kind of books she likes to read, and is a sucker for a swoon-worthy bad boy and happily ever afters.

She lives in the midwest with her husband and two daughters. When she's not writing, you can find her riding her horses, hiking, reading, or drinking wine with friends.

Emily is
More about Emily Goodwin...