Start by marking “Hunter Killer: The War with China - The Battle for the Central Pacific (Dan Lenson Novels Book 17)” as Want to Read:

Hunter Killer: The War with China - The Battle for the Central Pacific

(Dan Lenson #17)

World War with China explodes in Hunter Killer, David Poyer's dramatic new thriller. The United States stands nearly alone in its determination to fight, rather than give into the expansionist demands of the aggressive new “People’s Empire.” The naval and air forces of the Associated Powers – China, Pakistan, Iran, and North Korea – have used advanced technology and tactic

Published November 28th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

Paul J. Petersen
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read nearly all of David Poyer's books and I like his detail, character development and the stories he weaves. This book should merit higher marks and a more positive review from me except for two major flaws; first is Hunter Killer is only 1/2, or 1/3 or perhaps only 1/4 of this story. This book ends abruptly with a "to be continued!" The second flaw is that the subsequent book hasn't been published yet.
I for one feel victimized when a book suddenly ends without closure. "To be continued
D.W.Tarman
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't care about characters. Perhaps if I'd read earlier ones I'd feel differently. Short-hand for weapons system left me uncertain about what their functions were. Read 70% and quit. Never felt I understood the overall situation. I was hoping for another Tom Clancy but found myself disappointed. Little question to writer knows the details of a naval engagement.

Nic
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Really a collection of chapters from a much longer work. The author is a solid writer, but the editorial decision to spread the narrative over many many books was disappointing. I was left with the feeling that there was no particular beginning or end to this work. Multi-volume stories can be well done. This one was not.
Lewis McIntyre
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to know what a war with a peer adversary might be like, a war in which we cannot just declare victory and walk away when it becomes difficult? One in which we do not have overwhelming strength? This book continues the evolving war between the US and China which began in "Tipping Point" with a regional war between India and Pakistan, with China joining the fray in "Onslaught"... meticulously researched, I will vouch for the naval technicalities and scenarios, but this is much, much more... o ...more
Craig Wakefield
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Poyer is not the first war author to write of China and it's ambitions to rule not just the people of it's nation, but also all of Asia and perhaps even more. The question that arises is whether the USA should fear China and it's desire to rule Asia or to let it slowly overtake the countries that surround it. Quite a quandary.

It is not so much a quandary when China in as a part of it's goal wreaks war and death upon the USA. Once that happens Dan Lenson and the troops of the United State b
David
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I have long been an avid reader of David Poyer and this series. But, sadly, it appears that like far to many authors today he no longer writes stand along books but only one continuing story. I like series, but only when each book stands alone as a completed story where this one leaves all the principle characters adrift and hanging in the air, as is the reader.

The battle and story line is great, gripping and forces you not to lay down the book, only to be crushed at the end with an unfinished
John
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this for Goodreads. This book is one of a continuing series. Do not worry that you must read the previous books to enjoy this one. Like the Hornblower and Master and Commander books this book is character driven. The characters are well developed and each is interesting on its own. The technology and tactics are current and the action is believable. Well worth reading. I will be looking in my bookstore for the rest of this series.
David Hyder
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I don't like into a story in the middle,but I picked this up at the library so I don't have to buy the whole series. It's a good yarn and develops good characters. Now I have the fun of looking backwards through the book stacks to find the earlier work. it isn't quite as good as discovering Tom Clancy.
,but it'll do.
David Rubin
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally, the next installment has arrived! The quality of writing and the excitement of the story are just as good and fulfilling as the prior entries in the series. I just wish we did not have to wait a full year for the next installment. Please, Mr. Poyer, can we have the next installment in six months instead?
Tena
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I never received my copy that I won in a GOODREADS giveaway back on Sep 12, 2017. I've reached out with no response. Sadly, I need to clear my reading queue & shall assign a 1 star rating. I was excited to have won & looked forward to reading. If I ever receive it, I'll read & post corrected review.
Anna Lopez pugsley
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew this was gonna happen!!!!

An intense read that leaves you out in the cold at it's end . I would've bought the next book immediately but it's not available till December this year!!!!!
I enjoyed the read very much and so will everybody who's into the series just be ready to go through withdrawl symtoms.
Steve Walker
I love reading Poyer. Dan Lenson is a great and flawed leader, but also a true hero. This is a very good continuation of the series. However, I hate books with no real ending... until next time?
When is the next installment due? I’ll be looking...
Laura Poppenwimer
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent novel that seems to be relevant with all the discussion of China currently in the news. This so could happen. Exciting action, well written with a cliff hanger at the end making it impossible not to continue on with the next installment.
Wade Higgins
Nov 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Almost unreadable

A mishmash of technobabble that jumps from subplot to subplot with little regard for continuity. As seems the trend, nothing is resolved, wait until the next book...and the next, and the next....
Ben Prill
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kept me wide awake at night finishing this book and before I knew it, I was all done. Once again Mr. Power delivers another epic Lenson novel. The one draw back is it is much too short! Can't wait to see what comes next.
Matt
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
irvin r russell
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book to read.

The book is real good and keeps you on edge for what is going on. It leaves you wondering what will happens next and leaves you wondering could this be happening today . It leaves you wondering whether this could be.

craig hurdle
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The war in China

It is the first book I have read about this writer ad I am quite impressd with it a good story about China, Koea and the USA it kept me interested with the storyline I look forward to reading a few more of the books.
D.F. Haley
As an exploration of a modern war between super powers this book succeeds brilliantly. As a novel, not so much. I was alternately bored and horrified. I've read the entire series, and most of poyers other novels. I'll continue as long as he keeps writing them. but for me, this was a clunker.
Nooilforpacifists
Second of two books set in the near future when Dan Lenson is fleeted up to Admiral in a war against China.
Bill Donhiser
My first David Power book but it will not be my last. Good wartime adventure. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot well done
Johnny
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback
Power's Daniel Lensen series never cease to amaze me, entertaining and thrilling. Enjoed and anxious to get my hands on the next installment. Keep'em coning. You left me hanging.
Allan Burt
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Done like Red Storm Rising with switching back and forth. I will certainly look at this authors other books period
Mike
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Techno Thriller!! Can't wait for the next in the series!!
Moethedog
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still another winner in this well written line of books.
Tim Lowe
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
To be continued in Deep War, due out December 2018! Frustrating!
Daniel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another Tense thriller in the China vs USa series as things heat uP
Robert
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book...it was the first book in the Dan Lenson series that I have read...but I plan to read some more in the future...
Mike Gilmore
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent detail into the military and human character. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Warren Lofftus
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can't put it done

Well written and will keep you interested until you are done.
You will not put it down in till it's done?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Guardship (Thomas Marlowe, #1)
  • The Battle of the Crater
  • Opening Moves (Red Gambit, #1)
  • The Second World Wars: How the First Global Conflict Was Fought and Won
  • Alliance of Shadows (Dead Six #3)
  • Ghosts of Bungo Suido (World War II Navy, #2)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Fatal Thunder (Jerry Mitchell, #5)
  • The Red Effect
  • The Art of War (Tommy Carmellini #6; Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe #16)
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • Ghost (Alaska Heat, #3)
  • They Are Soldiers (Nathan Dixon, #4)
  • Lethal Sky (Marika Hartmann #3)
  • Rope on Fire (John Crane Series, #1)
  • The Walking Dead, Omnibus 4
  • Between Darkness and Light  (Sholan Alliance, #7)
  • Through Darkest Europe
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)