Start by marking “The Jesus Prayer” as Want to Read:
The Jesus Prayer

The Jesus Prayer

The Jesus Prayer is the most popular devotional prayer in the Orthodox Church and increasingly popular in the West. A simple and direct method of invoking the mercy of Jesus Christ by repeating his Holy Name, it is a way of obeying St Paul’s instruction to “pray always”. In an increasingly noisy and frenetic world, the Jesus Prayer offers us an oasis of inner peace and a l ...more
Published by Catholic Truth Society

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jesus Prayer

Start your review of The Jesus Prayer
David
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.”

This prayer has been a deep well which has nourished many Christians through the centuries. Whether said in community or throughout your day, it helps keep your mind focused. This little book explains the history and way to practice the prayer. Highly recommended.
Geoff Smith
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to a timeless prayer.

This brief introduction to the Jesus Prayer helpfully outlines its rationale, methods of practice, and what to expect when it is practiced. It contains helpful quotes from Christians in the east and helpfully explains the how one experiences the Trinity in prayer. The idea of short breath prayers is common in all strands of Christianity. Brother Lawrence, Frank Laubach, and Jonathan Edwards all used practices of that sort. This book outlines a version
Craig L.
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Brief Introduction

This a brief primer on the use of the Jesus Prayer — a simple prayer widely used in Eastern Orthodoxy. The author discusses the history and use of the prayer in a way that is very simple and helpful. He writes: “The purpose of the Jesus Prayer, then, is to help us to discover directly and vividly how, by virtue of Baptism, we are Christ-bearers, sharing in his death and resurrection, and at the same time Spirit-bearers, aflame with the fire of Pentecost.”
Rory M
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of the Jesus Prayer

This is a great introduction to the Jesus prayer, especially for those who do not know someone with great experience in it. You definitely get the feeling that this is just the beginning of what you can learn about the prayer (and what it can teach you), but I think that’s the point. For the length, there’s enough detail to cover the most important aspects and get the reader started.
John
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Latin rite Catholic I don’t hear much about this prayer. We have the rosary while the east has the Jesus prayer. This is a nice introduction.

I’ve been wrestling with this prayer for a few years. The more time I spend with it the more I see the beauty. I love how it helps me to quiet myself. I also find it humbling.
Harry
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Summary of the Jesus Prayer

Bishop Kallistos gives a very good explanation of the Jesus Prayer and how to use it. It is a simple but powerful practice, available to anyone. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to deepen their prayer life.
Sheila Bolton
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book I've read on the Jesus prayer!

Short, simple, yet profound. Excellent for laypeople. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who has been wanting to learn more about the Jesus prayer!
Robert
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Packed with helpful for our spiritual journey to God

This short text provides historical depth and understanding for this short prayer. The author is well versed in the history and spirituality of the prayer and lends many good insights into the fruits of this prayer.
Matt
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

A beautiful book a short, but extremely influential and helpful, centuries old prayer that continues to aid people in prayer
Robert Dale
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practicing the Jesus Prayer

I have read this more than once, and with every reading it becomes more clear. There are several other books on the
Dpeterson77
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great, practical intro

This was a great introduction to The Jesus Prayer and a solid starting point for anyone wanting to learn more and to deepen their prayer life.
Ruth
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful short booklet that covers probably all there is to say about the tradition and practice of the Jesus prayer.

Most important for me was the explanation in the beginning of the word 'mercy' that is used in the prayer. He writes; "‘Mercy’ signifies precisely the love of God, poured out to heal and restore."

My main problem with the Jesus prayer was always that it gave me associations with whimpering, fearfully begging for mercy. Such associations are decidedly unhelpful. But this bookl
Richard J
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very practical introduction to contemplation. Uses common sense language free of jargon. I felt moved to pray after reading a section. I will return to this again.
Anna Snipes

• Contemplative Meditation: A practical introduction
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • The Complete Stories
  • Reading the Bible the Orthodox Way: 2000 Years without Confusion or Anxiety
  • Little Girl Lost (DI Robyn Carter, #1)
  • Surprised by Christ: My Journey from Judaism to Orthodox Christianity
  • Orthodox Daily Prayers
  • Copper Sun
  • Churchianity vs. Christianity: A Series of Lectures Delivered by Metropolitan Anthony Bloom
  • Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone, #3)
  • Endless Night
  • Evil Games (D.I. Kim Stone, #2)
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit