Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: 1954” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: 1954

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: 1954

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D #3)

iZombie co-creator Chris Roberson teams with Mike Mignola and a team of artists to explore the horror and intrigue of Hellboy's early Cold War years.
No longer a rookie, Hellboy is joined by other Bureau agents in a series of far-flung mysteries that take them searching for yetis terrorizing an Arctic research team, into the American suburbs where a family is haunted by a
Published January 23rd 2018 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 2018)

Chad
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, 2018
While I prefer the longer Hellboy stories, these are still fun. There just isn't a lot of depth. I do like the idea of the British version of B.P.R.D., S.I.M.

Received a review copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Paul E. Morph
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice little collection of stories from Hellboy's past. Anthologies like this tend to be a bit patchy, so I'm happy to report this one's pretty solid throughout. There's nothing amazing in here but it was enjoyable and certainly scratched my Hellboy itch in the absence of anything new from Mike Mignola himself.
Ill D
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suckers
***Spoliers 'n' STuff***

***Thou has been warned***

1954 boilers down to a lump a filler than left me salty more than anything.

Even though titled Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. the titular organization that, "bumps back," really only factors into these stories marginally at best. Nope, no Abe Sapien, nor Liz Sherman, just ancillaries of ancillaries; just Susan Xiang and some other tangentially tied characters that act more as plot devices than actually fleshed out characters appear here. As forgettabl
Artemy
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. is a filler series pretty much by definition, but it's also a compelling filler since it lets us see more of Hellboy on the job, outside of the whole world-saving he did in his main book. So it's expected that these stories are going to be hit or miss. For me, the 1954 collection was mostly a miss, unfortunately — I wasn't really feeling most of the short stories collected here, they felt like some half-baked bland horror story ideas that were reworked into the Hellboy u ...more
Andrew
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-own-d
I've been enjoying these short stories of Hellboy's early days at BPRD. It's a smart way to keep capitalizing on Hellboy's popularity without forcing the story to continue past Hellboy in Hell. I wish they were of a higher quality though. As it is most of the stories are enjoyable but forgettable.

Richard Corben has a short story featured in this volume. It's nice - Corben is one of my favourite artists - but again, pretty forgettable. I feel like the story has already been told in other Hellboy
Wing Kee
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of stories that builds HB’s world and mythos.

World: The art is fantastic, it’s moody, it’s beautiful and the colors are just perfect. That being said, I was somewhat irked by the art of Churchilla in the Hong Kong story. Being Chinese, I found the art done by someone who didn’t really take the time to study Chinese culture and just mashed Asian cultures together (as is the norm in the West). Mignola and Roberson were wonderful and accurate in their detail, from the lore to t
Tom Ewing
In these difficult times it's heartening to know that at least one comics hero who got his start punching Nazis is still upholding that grand tradition. In most other respects, sadly, this is a lacklustre Hellboy collection. Three stories, the first of which starts promisingly but abandons its cast and setting halfway through for genetic Hellboy brawling. The second is a done-in-one ghost story, with decent visuals but a flat script. The third is sub-par, one issue of heavy exposition about 50s ...more
Orrin Grey
So far I've really been enjoying the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. titles, and while I love the cover on this one, I didn't dig the stories quite as much as the two previous volumes. The opening story with its Nazi flying saucers and all is pretty great, and the last one has fun art and sets up a bunch of threads that will, presumably, be further explored in future installments, but the total package feels a bit less than the sum of its parts, when compared with the other Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. ins ...more
Amverbo
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siempre está bien echarle un ojo a Hellboy. Al ser cuatro historias cortas, la calidad es variable, pero tienen buen nivel. Por la parte del dibujo, se echa de menos a Mignola, pero el estilo más realista encaja muy bien con las historias, en este sentido me quedo con el Mes de los Muertos.
Koen Claeys
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Excellent artwork to instant-forgettable short stories. It seems this is pretty much the case with most of the Mignolaverse titles in the past years.
Rick
Mike Mignola's Hellboy remains one of the most entertaining comics year after year and incarnation after incarnation. This latest series has been going back and revealing untold tales of the early days of the B.P.R.D. and Hellboy's youth. The stories are fun, light and reminiscent of Mignola's early work with the character. Good stuff!
Pop Bop
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mmmm, That's Some Good Hellboy

This is the third "Hellboy and the B.P.R.D." collection, following on the 1952 and 1953 editions. I favor the 1953 collection out of the three but this one is a close second.

We get three longer tales and one mini-tale. There is "Black Sun #1-2", "The Unreasoning Beast", "Ghost Moon #1-2", and a very short "Mirror". SOME MILD GENERAL PREMISE/PLOT SPOILERS follow.

"Black Sun" is a Nazi nutsy tale that consists mostly of Hellboy making wisecracks while the villain engag
Adam Stone
One of the frustrating things about reading Hellboy is that most of the main collections are not organized chronologically or thematically. It's just that the writers decided to tell a particular story or set of stories, and in order to release them to the trade paperback/hardcover market, they package them as the five or six issues that came out around the same time, whether or not they make sense as a single story.

With the Hellboy & The BPRD stuff, everything is arranged chronologically, e
Cale
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
They grow up so fast, don't they? Although only a few years in, Hellboy is already turning into the grizzled investigator we meet in the original series. This volume features alien spacecraft, a spirit monkey, and an Asian spirit stealer. In general, the stories are interesting, with the setup of "Black Sun" and the resolution of "Ghost Moon" being my favorite parts. The art style has gone far afield from Mignola's iconic look, but honestly that doesn't bother me - the characters are spot on in ...more
Sohan Surag
It was fun reading Hellboy and the BPRD 1954 but I have to say it's the weakest among the four that released. I absolutely loved 1953, 1952 and although 1954 had some good stuff it never reached the heights set by its predecessors. Perhaps this is the only title I have rated 3 stars so far. I usually devour any Hellboy material, be it prose, comics, celluloid or videogame formats and I am always in search of newer Hellboy stuff so even if something turns out mediocre its still worth it.
Dakota Morgan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another terrific entry in the Hellboy series. 1954 consists of three short Hellboy adventures, each uniquely fascinating and fun. There's an Arctic monster, ghosts in the suburbs, and crazy Hong Kong demons. High adventure! In true Hellboy fashion, the main character is gruff and prone to punching while his BPRD sidekicks are happy to offer explanations for the various mysteries. None of it appears to tie into some larger storyline, but that's all fine. Hellboy is always a good time.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
There is something about the unforgiving cold that pairs so well with things of the supernatural and horror sort so I loved the first half of Black Son. The second half however was a tad to predictable and felt like a wasted opportunity.
The other tales had their high and low points as well but I didn't feel as let down by them and I'm interested in seeing where Sue's story goes.
Adan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A handful of Hellboy shorts that take place in 1954. My favorite story was probably "Ghost Moon", the one set in Hong Kong, though "Black Sun" was pretty good too, and was the most classic of Hellboy stories.
Sebastien
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-comics-bd
Good short stories, I really don't like Richard Corben art style , his Hellboy is decent but the human characters are so ugly.
Christopher Obert
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Good Hellboy book with four stories.
John
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All and all, enjoyable. I was a big fan of the stories Black Sun and The Mirror. They had great ambiance, story, and art. I felt like some of the elements of Ghost Moon were a bit uninteresting.
Óscar López
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok collection of stories. A slightly more experienced Hellboy facing the threats of the 50's. I particularly liked Patric Reynolds artwork, and it's always a pleasure to admire Richard Corben's drawings. The stories are uninspired, lacking originality - but nevertheless entertaining.
Grant
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ghosts, demons, UFOs, a haunted mirror? my kind of shit.
Benjamin Barham
Roberson really takes the conventional "show don't tell" method of comic storytelling and flips it on it's head. Here we have a whole lot of "tell don't show", and I'm really not feeling it for something so dear to my heart.
Carrie

• Repetition
  • Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 2: The Most Magical Place On Earth
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)
  • Spells & Chrome
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One
  • Deadpool: World's Greatest, Volume 2: End of an Error
  • The Black Diamond Detective Agency
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple
  • The MAXX: Maxximized, Volume 1
  • Truth: Red, White & Black
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D (4 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952