Start by marking “Tomorrow” as Want to Read:

Tomorrow

A wise old dog travels through the courts and battlefields of Europe and through the centuries in search of the master who granted him immortality

Tomorrow tells the story of a 217-year-old dog and his search for his lost master. His adventures take him through the London Frost Fair, the strange court of King Charles I, the wars of the Spanish succession, Versailles, the
Published March 20th 2018 by Hanover Square press

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow, please sign up.
Gill It is accurate inasmuch as characters 'met' in it correlate to their correct lifetimes; battles are fought at the correct date, and Kings are in their…moreIt is accurate inasmuch as characters 'met' in it correlate to their correct lifetimes; battles are fought at the correct date, and Kings are in their correct time slot. It is fiction, and the 'history' relates to time periods the book is set in, not a narrative. The 'social history' seems accurate (I did wonder about the 'new' concept of restaurants in the early 1800s, but have no idea when they started, my ignorance). As for Alchemy - well, what's 'accurate'?! All I'm saying is that events and people occur at their correct timeslots, but historical notation is not an overbearing part of the book - which is after all,fiction. I read a lot of historical fiction and do want my factual timings adhered to, so I do know where you're coming from. This did not 'jar' with me at all.(less)
Mike Difficult to say. The dog was described physically, but the main thrust and detail was to the dog's dialog and character.

Start your review of Tomorrow
Jaline
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xx2018-completed
Some of my Goodreads friends will love this book, while others definitely will not. I enjoyed this novel a great deal while acknowledging there are aspects to it that may not attract all readers.

It is a fantasy, although the only part that is fantasy is that our main protagonist, a dog, along with his master and his master’s nemesis all have eternal life. They can be killed, but it is very difficult to do so; and that’s why their story gallivants throughout history with an amazing in-person (and
Aisling
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book to keep and re-read. A book I will be sending to friends. Forget that I love dogs and the perspective is heart breakingly pure since it is the dog's; this is a poignant, thought provoking book about living and love and family and (oh good grief I could go on--redemption, friendship, invention and war....) The author has a true gift for scenes which transport the reader to another time, another life.

Plot wise this book grabs you from page one and never lets up. Mr. Dibben is a very
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by this book. I went into this book with incredibly high expectations so some of that disappointment is of my own making. When I first saw this book's cover, I knew that I had to read it. Then I read the book's synopsis and knew that I would love it. I ended up liking the book but I didn't love it.

This is Champion's story and is told from his point of view. Champion is not just an any
Carol Kean
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Rose
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Damien Dibben’s forthcoming novel, Tomorrow, follows the journey of one extraordinary dog on his quest to be reunited with his extraordinary master. On this hazardous road, both dog and master are forced to confront the ethics and pitfalls of love, loyalty and eternal life—all this unfolding over centuries across the canvas of war-torn Europe. The story is enchanting and tender, the details accurate and thought-provoking, whether chronicling the horrors of war, the best of human art and
Ms.pegasus
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, especially
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: selection of our local book club
Shelves: fiction, history
The future can offer both hope and despair. For the canine protagonist of this novel, “tomorrow” augurs a new day filled with hope and possibility. Without that hope he would be bereft of a reason to live. “Tomorrow we begin again.” The words echo in his mind. It is what his master would say in the face of disappointment or set-back. This particular dog, however, has greeted 127 years of tomorrows with the hope of hearing that voice again. One perfect day, over a century ago, his master ...more
Cindy Burnett
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars

Tomorrow relays the story of a loyal dog searching the European continent for his owner Valentyne during the 1700 and 1800’s. Both Valentyne and the dog are immortal following Valentyne’s discovery of a method that stops aging. While the story addresses love, loyalty, and heartbreak, the insight regarding the pitfalls of remaining frozen at a certain age while everyone else around those characters continues to age provides the most food for thought in Tomorrow. This aspect of Tomorrow
Emma
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating idea for a story and the historical span of the book was very rewarding. The author really brings the different periods of history to life with his well researched details. From the frost fairs of London, to Venice and Vienna, we follow Champion and Sporca. Alchemy has been used to lengthen life and Champion searches over centuries for his lost master. I loved Champion and Sporca’s journey and point of view. The story lacked pace in places and was over wordy. Still, an ...more
Carla
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of a man and his very loyal dog, Tomorrow. The master goes missing and the dog stays in Venice waiting for him for 127 years. The tale is told from the view point of Tomorrow and is well written, funny, touching, and a joy to read.

This is one of the giveaways I've received from Goodreads.
Jasmine
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won an ARC of this book from Goodreads Giveaways.

Tomorrow is a beautifully written novel which draws the reader into the world of a dog searching for his master. Dibben provides a thoughtful look at the human race through the eyes of man's most loyal friend. Through the eyes of this insightful puppy, we celebrate the great achievements of mankind and witness the horrors we are capable of inflicting.

Yet, I struggle to say much more about this novel. The middle of the story lags a bit and
Heather
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good I was hooked by the second page. There are a lot of twists and turns and surprises. You never new what was next.I would recommend this book to everyone.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It began, this journey of many lifetimes, in an ordinary way: he and I went to pick oysters on the shore.’

Our narrator is a dog. A dog who has lived for longer than 200 years. A dog who has been searching for his lost master for over 100 years. While the dog searches for his master, and having new adventures of his own, he remembers some of their earlier adventures together. These adventures take us from 1602 until 1833. So, how did dog and master become separated? How is it that they’ve lived
Mike
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I have read in a while. This dog is noble, smart, erudite, courageous, faithful and more. If you love dogs (and I do) you would love for dogs to have the type of social interaction, imagination and love that is described in this book. Life is hard and then you die, except for the dog and his master. The history and savage warfare described is sometimes difficult to read, but very accurate. I would unconditionally recommend this book to anyone, and especially if you ...more
Catherine Milmine
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Won this book on Goodreads. I would like to give this book a 10 stars. Was not expecting such a wonderful story of friendship through history of a man and his dog. Takes you on a journey through centuries and history in Europe. Loved all the characters and their stories told through Tomorrow. Absolutely recommend this book to history lovers and animal lovers. Trying to explain the book to my husband after I finished had me in tears thinking of the love they had for each other, and the time in ...more
Rob Twinem
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The word "Tomorrow" actually refers to the name of the dog in this story, who throughout the book is searching for his master "Vallentyne" a physician by occupation. As the story covers many many years and many great events it must be accepted that the dog lives a very long time. The purpose of this novel and where it really succeeds is to describe events in Europe over a span of approx 150 years. It's a bold and bawdy journey and gives full reign for the author to explore the great happenings ...more
Kathi
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Just awwwww. Such a delightful and very heartwarming novel that I tragically (!) (unfairly, stupidly) underestimated before reading. I did not expect this to turn out to be so good and captivating! Because once again I, in all my intelligence, only decided to skim over the first two sentences of the blurb, I anticipated a decent enough story about the various adventures of a forever-living dog, typical three star-material so to say, but it is actually so much more than that! And I ...more
Barbara
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tomorrow is a 217 year old dog that has spent over 100 years searching for his master, Valentyne. It is a sad story in some ways as you feel the despair of Tomorrow, but he never gives up and hopes to find him soon. How does a dog live to be 217 years old? Valentyne has concocted a secret potion that he uses on himself as well as Tomorrow, allowing them to live indefinately.

The story takes place in the 1600s to the 1800s, which makes it a very interesting historical read; particularly as it
Story❤
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A loyal, loving and intelligent dog travels many miles and hundreds of years searching for his lost owner. Both man and the dog are immortal following his master's discovery of a 'fountain of youth' type substance. The story explores not only the changes wrought in society by time, but also the pleasures and perils of immortality.

The historical aspects of the book were interesting, as man and dog experience the Renaissance and the Enlightenment as well as the devastation of the Napoleonic Wars.
bfilbeck
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly original concept!

Tomorrow, the dog who narrates this fine novel, is more than a century old. He travels Europe searching for his master.

Damian Dibben mixes a tear-jerking dog story with an equally tear-jerking people story with a lot of history in the mix. I loved it!
Elaine
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: its-magic
"For what does life have if it is not an adventure?"
(p. 333)

I chose Tomorrow based on a brief synopsis I read somewhere but forget where exactly but I may have picked up the book based on the cover alone.

I'm not a cover snob but I am a dog lover!

The premise is fascinating and seems to be the rising trend: immortality but this time the immortal one is man's best friend.

** The best parts and spoilers ahead **

Tomorrow
is immortal, thanks to a special elixir honed and refined by his master.

Samantha
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a magical couple of days I've had reading my now favorite book. This book was written for every person who has ever loved their dog, their best friend, their champion. "Tomorrow" will make you smile and make you cry, it will remind you on every page why dogs are the purest souls, and why they make us be better people.
I will read this book over and over again. I will treasure it.

Now excuse me while I go find my dog so I can whisper to her that I love her, then smother her with hugs and
Laurelas
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, favorites
I loved this book so much!

It has everything I like, and more - history, a touch of fantasy, beautiful descriptions and a great deal of humanity, which is funny to say when you know the tale is narrated by a dog.

I grew fond of this old and wise dog quite easily (and he's a vegetarian too!) and was thrilled to witness his adventures either to find his master or the ones he had with him in the past.
The historical painting of the centuries through which the characters live is stunning and
TheBookGroupie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spending a Sunday reading this book was like enjoying a whole day of pet therapy. Tomorrow is such a thoughtful and loyal dog; it is a pleasure to be in his company and to go along with him as he lives through the experience that all best friends of dogs have always had: "What if we two could live forever and always be best friends?" Sure, there would be other friends too, but they wouldn't last forever and there would be those who were never your friends and who even caused you trouble, but no ...more
Ashleigh
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book so much! Charming and pure I was so emotionally attached to the dog and the owner. I just loved it so nice to read something different for a change.
Laurin Bell
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let's be honest - Damian Dibben is clearly a shill for Kleenex. I'm buying, though. We should all be so fortunate enough to have a champion such as Tomorrow - loyal, tenacious, true.
Gill
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding, intensely moving saga sweeping through the eras of The Renaissance, English Civil War to Napoleonic Europe and end at the period of the Industrial Revolution. This is a book which doesn’t fit into a specific genre – it is based on a fantastical premise, provided by ‘alchemistry’ but the emotions, thoughts, events, philosophies and some (famous, named) of the characters are very real.

The story is told through the eyes of a loyal dog, a dog who lives for his master and who is
Connie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the decades I would make new companions: Soldiers, Dukes, Gondoliers, but they would die, all of them, from disease or old age. Yet I was sure, in the very core of me, that my true master would return. For if I was still alive, surely so was he.
An absolutely beautiful story of a dog called Tomorrow, who travels through centuries searching for his beloved master.
Gets you right in the feels.
Booknblues
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tomorrow is a dog. A very faithful dog.

A person who keeps dogs will lose many in their lifetime. I was a dog who lost people. Time took from me everyone and everything I’d fallen in love with. But I was sure, in the very core of me, that one day my true master would return. For if I was still alive, surely so was he.

For those of you who love animals and dogs, Tomorrow is a dog you will come to love. He is loyal and wise. He does not get distracted by his dogginess as does Bernie in the Chet and
elizabeth • paper ghosts
An adult historical novel from the POV of a doggie?

GIMME.
Danielle
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
I couldn’t have imagined this story, but once I started reading I felt like I had been waiting for this book for a long time. Beautiful and captivating.
Replace book cover 2 14 Jul 16, 2018 10:44AM

• Bułgaria. Złoto i rakija
  • Ness
  • The Binding
  • Shadows of Winterspell
  • Królestwo popiołów. Część 2 (Szklany tron, #7B)
  • Foxfire, Wolfskin and Other Stories of Shape-Shifting Women
  • Królestwo popiołów. Część 1 (Szklany tron, #7A)
  • The Way of All Flesh
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Penmaker's Wife
  • Zapomnij o mnie
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
Damian Dibben is a best-seilling British author. His latest novel, TOMORROW - published by MichaelJoseph/Penguin in the UK and HarperCollins in the US - is his first for adults, having previously written the internationally acclaimed HISTORY KEEPERS series. His books have been translated into 27 languages, in over forty countries.

Damian has worked extensively as a screenwriter on projects as
“Tomorrow we begin again...” 0 likes