Start by marking “Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)

Beneath the Surface

(Dive Team Investigations #1)

After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reac ...more
Published March 6th 2018 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Surface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Surface

Start your review of Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
Hannah
Well, it's not what I expected, but it was definitely interesting! I thought the diving part would play a larger role in the story, but it only is featured at the beginning. Leigh is drawn into the story when the dive team needs to use her lake access to remove a murder victim from the lake. But pretty soon the action ramps up when someone makes an attempt on Leigh's life, very nearly succeeding and landing her in the hospital.

So that was twist number one. This tale takes the cake for twists, wh
Jes Drew
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cop suspense meets medical suspense in this enthralling caper. I loved all the characters (well, the good guys, anyway. The schmuck who left his wife is somewhere under the murderer in my estimates in line for reader love from me). Ryan and Leigh were so cute together, and so were Adam and Sabrina (even if they don't know it), and all the other people I look forward to reading in the rest of the series. I especially loved the relational dimension of everything, with the characters' entwined past ...more
Victoria Lynn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars.

This book was well done! I enjoyed it greatly and it kept me reading. The overall storyline was easy to follow, but hard to figure out the ending, just like a proper suspense book should do. The plot kept moving quickly enough that I was constantly turning pages. I think I broke a current record for myself in how fast I read it. It felt good to breeze through a book because it would have been hard to put it down.

The characters were great! I genuinely enjoyed all of them! Blackbu
Liz
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pretty excited when I checked this one out..Dive team investigations...sounds intriguing and creepy! Well, the “dive team investigations” part was only in the very beginning. Not really sure why so much emphasis would be put on the dive team aspect when it was only one scene in the very beginning of the book? I would definitely call this a romantic suspense (slash) unrequited love story. Yes, the suspense at the end was definitely a thrill ride! But the majority of the book was two people ...more
LadyJBookishNook

For all my reviews, visit my blog at http://ladyjbookishnook.blogspot.com

Beneath The Surface by author Lynn H. Blackburn is the first installment in the Dive Team Investigations series and my first read of this author. I noticed AFTER receiving my copy in the mail that it was a romantic suspense which truthfully I never read. I didn’t pick up on the romance while reading the blurb so this one was a surprise. But I decided to take the plunge…into Beneath The Surface

Sarah Grace Grzy
Lynn H. Blackburn’s new series, Dive Team Investigations, starts out with a bang.

First off, the characters. Leigh is an interesting and well-rounded character. Her issues of faith and fear felt very real and relatable. Ryan’s character was also good, and I think I liked him even better than Leigh. I appreciated how he wasn’t your stereotypical perfect specimen of humanity that all the girls fall for. He was awkward at times, bumbling in an adorable way, and didn’t always handle things perfectly.
Melanie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beneath the Surface was a good romantic suspense novel. I liked the characters and found the way they interacted with each other to be authentic. I felt like they were real people.

The mystery was crazy. I wasn't sure who the villain would be until the reveal and I felt like you never knew what would happen next.

The ending was great and I liked how things wrapped up. All in all, Beneath the Surface was an enjoyable read and I recommend it.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or mo
Kara
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: got-review-copy
Wow, this book was AMAZING from the VERY start and I LOVED every bit of it!! This was my first time reading Blackburn's work, but I'm so looking forward to Book 2 in this series. Leigh has just returned home after having a traumatic stalker experience and is trying to find her momentum again working as a nurse when the attacks against her start up again. Investigator Ryan Parker, best friend to Leigh's brother and friend from high school, gets assigned to a different case located in Leigh's back ...more
Maddy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, now this is a suspense book! I haven’t been able to find many suspense books that I’ve enjoyed lately, but this one was amazing. I can’t wait for book #2!

The suspense was so well done in this book. There was so much going on and you never knew what was going to happen next. The mystery itself was pretty unique compared to other suspense books I’ve read, which really stood out to me. It was different and well thought out and I absolutely loved it. It’s definitely been added to the list of m
Loraine
I expected more diving in this book due to the series name, but there was only some at the very beginning of the book. But the suspense rolled from page 1 and didn't stop until the conclusion. I loved the group of characters that worked together to solve the mystery: Ryan Parker, Gabe Chavez, and Anissa Bell are all homicide detectives. Leigh Weston is a nurse practitioner at Carrington County Hospital. Adam is a detective, and his friend Sabrina is a computer analyst. The way they all worked to ...more
Cara Putman
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the twists and turns in this novel. Well written with an engaging, and harrowing, plot. The romance was well done as well.
Susan Snodgrass
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Somewhere, probably nearby, there was someone who hated her so much they were willing to end her life and possibly a few more. Why?'

I love discovering new authors and so happy I came across Lynn H. Blackburn. This was a very intricate and detailed suspense novel. I enjoyed it very much and intend to read more from this author. Much like an adrenaline laced episode of Criminal Minds.

*My thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book via Net Galley. My opinions are my own.
Victoria
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I knocked off .5 stars for a little bit more romance in one scene than I wanted to read. (view spoiler)

T
Beth Erin
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

With an appealing combination of danger and desire, this action-packed friends-to-more romance captivated my attention page after page! The author’s attention to technical detail and skillful descriptions immersed me (pun intended) into the world of Carrington, North Carolina and the lives of Leigh and Ryan.

Fans of romantic suspense authors such as Dani Pettrey, Lynette Eason, Rachel Dylan, and Cara Putman definitely need to pick up Blackburn’s work! I highly
Paula Shreckhise
Hooray, I’ve found another awesome group of characters to get to know and another author to put on my favorites list. I am glad I have all the books in this series so I can “dive” right into the next one!
Beneath the Surface refers not only to the body the dive team finds on a training exercise...... it also describes the things going on in the investigation and a romance that is simmering between Ryan Parker, a homicide investigator, and Leigh Weston, a nurse practitioner.
Fast paced, I read th
Staci
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! A ton of twists in this suspense novel. I never saw the villain coming. Loved the close knit friendship among the main six characters.
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
I love finding new to me authors, especially when it’s one like this! Ms. Blackburn is a fantastic author! She has created a wonderful story, full of amazing characters and I was hooked from the first page. Each page, each new character, each new plot twist had me on the edge of my seat and staying up late to finish the intense, captivating ride.

I loved Ryan and Leigh so much! They were wonderfully chiseled and their feelings really jumped off the page and became my own. The way they interacted
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Talk about high tension, wow, Blackburn has you on the edge of your seat in this one. This was the first book that I read by Lynn Blackburn but it won't be my last in fact. She has a second book in this series coming out next year called In To Deep.

I hope that it is half as good as this one was.

The suspense and the romance in this book was spot on and I really can say it was a really good read.

I can't wait for you to dive into (pun intended) Ryan and Leigh's story.

I gave this book 4 stars. I hig
Kav
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eep! Squeal!! Thud!!! I'm in a discombobulated frenzy of excitement over this new series by Lynn H. Blackburn. Not only am I smitten by Beneath the Surface, but I'm all aflutter just contemplating the future Dive Team Investigations books! That's because Blackburn has done an incredible job of introducing team members with unique personalities that already have me clamoring for answers. Like what's up with Gabe and Anissa?! Inquiring reader minds want to know, Ms. Blackburn!

There is so much to l
Dana
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is intense. The amount of research that went into it is impressive. And the characters are great. I loved the main characters, but the secondary characters really drew me, as well. I am hoping that some of them are featured in the next books. I can't wait to read book 2 in November.
Madison
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am always on the lookout for new and exciting inspirational suspense novels, and Beneath The Surface did not disappoint. Lynn Blackburn delivers a novel that balances action with fantastic interpersonal interactions, careful criminal investigation with plenty of tension, and a light-hearted joy despite the depravity of the crimes. Beneath The Surface was a very enjoyable novel to read and with it Lynn H. Blackburn earns her way onto my list of favourite romantic suspense authors.

Leigh Weston
Patricia Bradley
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beneath the Surface grabbed me from the get-go and didn’t let go until the end. Blackburn created characters I cared about and then she put them in all kinds of precarious situations. I wasn’t sure how the story would turn out—great for keeping me reading way too late into the night!

Blackburn is a new-to-me author and I look forward to more of her books! She kept me turning the page with her tight writing, and she knows how to create interesting characters.

I received a copy of Beneath the Surfa
Janell R.
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sarita
This author is newish in the romantic suspense genre - only 5 books published - but I can see how she will become a favourite among suspense readers who enjoy Dani Pettrey, Lynette Eason and Irene Hannon.

The main reason why I was interest in this series was because some of the characters in this series cross over to Lynette Eason’s Blue Justice series and vice versa - but I was not disappointed. On top of a twisted serial killer, Leigh’s life is in danger with multiple near death experiences. Th
Suzie Waltner
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I saw the cover of the first book in Lynn H. Blackburn’s Dive Team Investigations series, I was intrigued. Then I read the synopsis and have been waiting for it’s release since. Now it’s here and it was so worth the wait.
When full-time homicide inspector and part-time dive team investigator Ryan Parker comes across an unexpected discovery during a training dive, he professional plate fills.
Leigh Weston has returned to her family home after a harrowing experience at her previous j
Teresa Snyder
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author. It will not be my last. Good storyline - I was sure that I figured out who the bad guy was. Twice. I wasn’t even close. Great chemistry between characters. Looking forward to book two.
Kailey
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book! It’s the perfect start to a great series! It’s so original. It’s action packed and kept me on the edge of my seat!
Toni Shiloh
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great start to a series.
Connie Carpenter
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. When I finished this story my mouth was wide open. My heart was pounding. I had just been on a journey that was filled with twists, turns and so much suspense. I thought I had it figured out, then another wrench thrown into the mix. I absolutely cannot wait until the next book to come out.

I received a copy of this book through the author - all thoughts are my own.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beneath the Surface  is the first book in Lynn H. Blackburn's new romantic suspense Dive Team Investigations series. It is a fast-paced story about Leigh Weston, an ER nurse who has recently returned to her childhood hometown and who becomes a murder target for an unknown reason; Ryan Parker, a detective who finds a body at the bottom of a local lake during a dive team training activity and is assigned to work the homicide case; and the team working with Parker, and Weston, to investigate the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • A Secret to Die For
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • Code of Valor (Blue Justice, #3)
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • Called to Protect (Blue Justice, #2)
  • Mind Games (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #1)
  • Dark Prophecy (Elite Guardians, #4.5)
  • Dead Ringer (Truth Seekers #1)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Fatal Strike
  • Lone Witness (Atlanta Justice, #2)
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
Librarian Note: Also writes under the pen name Lynn Huggins Blackburn.

Dive Team Investigations (3 books)
  • In Too Deep (Dive Team Investigations, #2)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)