Start by marking “Helloflo: The Guide, Period.: The Everything Puberty Book for the Modern Girl” as Want to Read:
Helloflo: The Guide, Period.: The Everything Puberty Book for the Modern Girl

Helloflo: The Guide, Period.: The Everything Puberty Book for the Modern Girl

"What we love most about this book (which we'll be gifting to our tween cousins, nieces, and daughters!) is the empowering message woven throughout: that 'your body is your body, ' as Bloom puts it, and you're the only one who gets to decide what to do with it." -- Health.com

"Full of practical advice, helpful explanations, and messages of encouragement...Period." -- Parent
Published October 17th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Helloflo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helloflo

La Coccinelle
Admittedly, I haven't read very many... uh... period books. At my age, I figured there wasn't much more I could learn, but I was still hoping to be pleasantly surprised. While this book had a few surprises and I did learn a few things I hadn't known before, most of that information came as more of an unpleasant shock.

So... what did I learn? I learned that you're not supposed to flush tampons. (Surprise, ladies! If you're an adult, you probably remember hearing about how flushable those little wh
Vicki
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tonally, this seems a little above middle grade sometimes, but it's very sincere, and I genuinely learned a few things. I would have liked this as a resource when I was a kid!

I loved the diversity of women represented as well!
Jeanne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful for cishet girls.
Billiebumblebee
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, educational and funny!
Kristian Wilson
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it, reviews

There are plenty of great puberty books out there for young people with vaginas. Helloflo: The Guide, Period.: The Everything Puberty Book for the Modern Girl is not one of them. Written by HelloFlo founder Naama Bloom and stamped with her company branding, The Guide, Period promises to be a fantastic addition to a pre-teen's arsenal of body-awareness books, but it simply doesn't deliver.

The Guide, Period opens with the declaration that, "There is no such thing as clean underwear. At least for a

Liz
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
A complete look at puberty for teens and tweens. It talks about what's happening and when with your body. I like that it does not give hard, medical timelines and it's honest flexibility with our bodily changes. The illustrations are a not in the typical scary medical way and help making the information visual without being laughable. (The teen girls at the library seem at least mildly interested openly and sneak more serious peeks when they think no one is looking.)

I like the options and frank
Jen
Nov 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2018-science
not as in-depth as other puberty books I've seen, but attractive format/layout.
Brett Barger
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, strange that a guy read this book and is reviewing it- I know. But I read this book for a class on middle level literature, and this book was so different from the other ones that we were reading and I think that it had a lot of valuable information for biologically female, middle grade readers and their families.

One part of this book that stuck out to me was the use of the styles throughout the ages. I think its fascinating that girls today can see the different styles of eyebrows or bre
Amanda
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
HelloFlo: The Guide, Period is about puberty for girls. It is honest and funny! This book leaves out nothing as girls transition into women. There are many scary things about going through puberty and this book helps put nerves at ease! A cool feature that this book has is it incorporates the different trends throughout history. It also has honest and real questions/concerns that other girls and women have wondered/encountered.

This book also has information for parents and adults. As an adult
Amber Houslet
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, I thought that while it had a lot of facts about puberty and girl power, it also delivered in a very friendly tone. As I was reading it I thought the tone was very "older sister" or "cool aunt" giving the dirty on the dirty of puberty. I also loved that it wasn't all "sunshine and butterflies...this is a beautiful time in your life...etc." Because, let's face it, puberty can down right suck at times.

I plan on purchasing this book for my school library, but would also re
Kelli
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Upon reading the reviews, I guess some people would say they just aren't a fan of this book. I actually found this book to have pretty useful information for girls about to go through a huge change (puberty). I wanted something on hand for when the time comes for my child. This book covers a lot of ground in an informational yet light-hearted way. It is a great tool to have when sometimes as a parent we are not quite sure where to start! It's also an easy/quick read for the parents wanting to pr ...more
Kerrie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. If you have a girl in your life headed towards or in the midst of puberty, this is the book they need and, I daresay, the book they want. It's honest and direct and relaxed, and empowering and tackles everything they're dealing with including changes in brain development. The inclusion of how women have tackled these various issues over time (along with reminders sprinkled throughout) helps to show girls that the best way to take care of your body is the way that feels comforta ...more
Aeicha
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I so wish I had this book when I was a preteen! Naama Bloom takes readers on a wild puberty filled journey from girlhood to womanhood and everything in between. Wonderfully informative, easily accessible, and awesomely laugh-out-loud funny, Helloflo is daring, hip, and irresistible. Facts are presented in age appropriate, yet matter of fact, ways, with helpful diagrams and illustrations...and I love that Bloom doesn’t shy away from topics. Young girls will not only find Helloflo helpful and educ ...more
Melissa Orth
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gave this book a quick skim before adding it to the teen collection at the library I work it. It’s a solid addition to puberty books, containing all the info an adolescent female needs to know about physical changes of puberty. It contains the welcome message of “this is normal” throughout the book and reinforced in q&a sidebars. Contains both interesting historical trivia such as the origins of tamping plus up to date information on menstrual cups and period panties.
Lauren AKA randomreader
I don't quite know why I read this, I kind of got it as a joke because I'm 16 and I know about puberty, but I think this would be really helpful for young girls. Definitely important for kids to know and be prepared
Beth Wemple
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think my daughter referred to this as the “punk rock period book” or some such thing. Great for adolescents, a fun and engrossing book that is much more interesting and useful than those little pink “welcome to womanhood” pamphlets we used to have to read.
Heather Quinn
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect intro for middle school age girls on the cusp of puberty. Particularly good for ones a bit uncomfortable with the subject. Not super in depth but provides some interesting background and presents information in a light but informative manner.
Alison Langteau
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very helpful.
Amanda Gray
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to listen to for those girls entering puberty. It is straight forward and informative.
Juli
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic introduction to a subject that is sometimes difficult to approach. All the tween girls I know will be getting a copy from me.
Carley Godette
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book young girls should read.
Tina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have an per-pubescent girl, I HIGHLY recommend this book! My daughter and I read it together is was great for both of us!
Mrs. Tongate
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent gift book for a middle school girl.
Jasmine
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
This is the best puberty I've read!
Pam
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chatty, supportive guide to puberty for girls. Counsels girls to not compare themselves to others, but to be confident in themselves. I would not hesitate to offer this title to my customers.
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish this book had been around when I was young!
Davianna
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a big step up from the books I read as a little girl. I liked that Miss Naama included the part on brain development. She also added timelines of Women's body trends including public hair shaving, brows, armpits, and breasts. This book empowers the reader to ignore society's image of the "perfect body" and that you're period isn't something to be embarrassed of. The book is easy to read and explains everything clearly which I really liked. I read the arc so it's in black and white but I ...more
Katie (BooksRUs)
A must read for anyone who has a period. A good first guide for girls who are experiencing this or want to know more. I had a similar book, but probably would have liked this one better at the time.
Mielejt