Start by marking “The Neighbors” as Want to Read:
The Neighbors

The Neighbors

In 1992, a car accident kills a young man and forever changes the lives of three people… Now, twenty years later, they’ll all come to regret the choices they made that day, as the secrets and lies they’ve told to protect each other become the very things that tear their lives apart.

After a night of fun, Abby was responsible for the car crash that killed her beloved brother
Published March 13th 2018 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Neighbors, please sign up.
Hannah Mary McKinnon Thrilled to hear you're adding THE NEIGHBORS to your tbr pile! Thank you. I'll definitely be doing some events in and around Toronto. Hopefully furthe…moreThrilled to hear you're adding THE NEIGHBORS to your tbr pile! Thank you. I'll definitely be doing some events in and around Toronto. Hopefully further afield too. They'll all be listed on my website www.hannahmarymckinnon.com (less)

Start your review of The Neighbors
Kaceey
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Wow, Wow!! Five dazzling stars⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Isn’t it always exciting when a new family moves into the neighborhood?
Who hasn’t discreetly peered through the shades, checking out the incoming newbies? Lots of questions to be answered. Will they be pleasant and approachable? Perhaps even becoming good friends? Or will they just disappear, only to be seen coming and going when necessary. Plenty of drama all by itself, right?

But what if it turns out to be someone from your past? Someone you assume
Christina - Traveling Sister
3.75 WHAT AN ENDING stars!

I probably would've rated this 3 stars over 4 had it not been that shocker of an ending. I was quite unsure of where this story was going or really what was going on for a lot of it but my takeaway here was being left really impressed with the way McKinnon laid everything out. This very much felt like we as readers were given all the pieces to a puzzle but we aren't given the ending picture. We start, as most puzzlers do, by filling out the corners and the borders and w
Norma
THE NEIGHBORS by HANNAH MARY MCKINNON is an intriguing, gripping, and thrilling story that kind of took me a little bit by surprise. Let me just say holy moly what an ending! I found the storyline to be quite enjoyable and entertaining but I wouldn’t say that it was all that suspenseful though. It was one of those books for me that held my attention enough throughout the story and then when those twists and turns hit, the story really came together and left me thinking WOW. I absolutely love it ...more
Julie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Neighbors by Hannah Mary McKinnon is a 2018 Mira publication.

The title alone had me intrigued. However, I was taken completely by surprise by this story. I never would have guessed how things would evolve – or where it would end up.

Back in the early 1990s, Abby and her brother were involved in a fiery car crash. Abby survived, thanks to Nate, the man she would eventually marry. But, Abby’s brother did not survive, and Abby has never forgiven herself.

Fast forward to present day- Abby and N
Susanne  Strong
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 Stars* (rounded up)

Quite the Soap Opera!

Abby and Nate seem like an amazing couple, married for 20 years, parents to teenaged Sarah - easy, breezy and comfortable. Nate worships the ground his wife walks on and as he always says, he loves Abby enough for both of them. When Abby met Nate, she had nothing left to live for: her brother had just died in a car accident for which she was responsible and she had been disowned by her mother because of it. He actually saved her the depths of despair
Carrie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
When Abby and Nate notice that there is a new family moving into the neighborhood they of course try to be friendly to the newcomers. Nate made his way over and offered to help but when Abby arrives she gets quite a shock when she realizes that the husband is none other than her ex, Liam, who was the love of Abby’s life until a tragic accident rocked her world.

Years ago Abby and her brother had been in a car accident with Abby being the only one who survived. This had Abby completely hating hers
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 stars! Oh wow – this was fantastic!!

Now that I’ve picked my jaw up off the floor and caught my breath after finishing this novel, I will attempt to write a review for this fabulous book.

I loved everything about this book! The characters, the storyline, the writing, the humour, the perfectly paced suspense, that ending – WOWZA! I was immediately drawn into this story and my attention never wavered throughout. The author, Hannah Mary McKinnon, is brilliant with her words. She had me hanging on
Holly  B
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

This was an entertaining story with some surprises. I’ve read a bunch of books lately about neighbors and neighborhoods. This one explores relationships of some of the characters and actions that they come to regret twenty years later.

Abby has been very happy being married to Nate until the man of her dreams moves in next door. Liam looks as hot as he did all those years ago! The problem is that Abby and Nate can’t bring themselves to let their significant others know they were once involved
Kendall
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Neighbors by Hannah Mary McKinnon is a domestic drama/thriller that keeps those fingers turning those pages.

I do have to say this turned out to be a read that I was not expecting at all. But in a good way! I ended up loving it! So yay for that :).

Abby and Nate are a happily married couple that live with their teenage daughter Sarah in a quant neighborhood. Nate notices new neighbors that have moved in from across to them. Nate, the friendly and warming man decides to help the new couple Liam
Melisa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a dramatic, unsettling story full of secrets and lies.

When Abby’s ex moves in next door to her and her family, a series of dramatic situations unfold.

Told in alternating perspectives and timelines, this story gives you an idea of what is happening in multiple character’s minds as time passes.

This was personally not my cup of tea, and I’m having a difficult time putting my finger on why, however my friends during our group read helped me to realize that perhaps it was my expectations
Dem
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-crime
I really liked this one, entertaining , twisty and emotionally charged domestic suspense novel that was quite the page turner. This is the exact sort of novel where upon finishing I go “ Darn! I really wish had kept this one for my holidays

We are all intrigued when a new family moves into the neighborhood and next door neighbors is even more intriguing until you realize these neighbors have have a connection with your past and a past you might want to keep hidden.

The Neighbors started out
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars...rounded down!

I absolutely FLEW through this book! I had been seeing it float around online and a few people I knew were reading it so I'm glad I picked it up. I hadn't read anything by Hannah Mary McKinnon before but I will definitely read more in the future by her!

The books opens with a bang. We enter into a car crash where Abby and her brother have been out drinking and they were driving home only to crash into something. Tom is stuck inside the car but Abby somehow gets to the sid
NZLisaM
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5. Ooh, yeah, what an ending!

Then – Abby and Liam are a young couple in love looking forward to a bright future. Then, Abby’s brother Tom dies in a horrific road accident. Responsible for the accident, since she was the one driving, and unable to forgive herself, Abby pushes Liam away.

Now – Years later Abby is married to Nate, and they have a teenage daughter, Sarah. Then, a family moves in next door – father, mother, and their teenage son, and Abby is horrified to discover that the new neigh
Amy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

The Neighbors is the kind of book that sneaks up on you, it lulls you into a sense of complacency with its lighter style of suspense and intrigue and then BAM the last few pages deliver an onslaught of twists that make you go, oohhh I see what you did there! I absolutely loved that approach and found it to be a really nice change of pace from a typical super fast paced thriller with twists and turns throughout, there was an air of refinement in this one that worked so well for me.

This is to
Sherri Thacker
You never know who your neighbors will be!! Wow!! What a story this was and the ending - holy cow, I did not see that twist(s) coming at the end. If I hadn’t gotten confused in the last part of the book I would’ve given this 5 stars but for that reason, it’s 4 stars. Great characters! Great book! Great story!
Ceecee
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nate, Abby and teenage daughter Sarah have new neighbours in Bromley in Liam, Nancy and son Zac. Nate welcomes them but Abby has a very strange reaction and it transpires that her and Liam have history from their early twenties which they hide from their respective families. The story is told from the perspective of the adults Then and Now with diary entries from Sarah.

This is an enjoyable domestic noir though with predictable outcomes as keeping their past hidden is inevitably going to cause p
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

See that cover with all those cookie cutter houses on the front? Yeah, when it comes to Mitchell and me . . . .

Most of the time. Except for this one . . . .

My hatred for face covers has so far overpowered my addiction to house covers. Dilemma!

Anyway, house cover = I usually channel my inner Veruca Salt and go in blind without bothering to even sneak a peek at the blurb. Thus was the case here and when I discovered t
L A i N E Y
I finished the whole thing in less than 24 hours. I didn’t mean to at first, I went to sleep but got up three hours later, realizing I was actually dreaming about these characters so I did what every normal, clear-thinking person would do - I picked up my Kindle at 2 in the morning and polished off the last 50 pages...

And now I have so many feelings! They’re of varied kinds and I don’t think I can process them all for some times just quite yet...

rating: ★★★★½
Heather
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! It was totally different than I expected and it grabbed me on the first page and didn’t let go until the last! It had a little bit of everything - lies, regrets, secrets, sex, suspense - and it all worked for me! Like many others, I expected this to be a thriller but it was more of a family drama which I love! I had read other reviews that the ending was a surprise and a surprise is an understatement!
Tammy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2018
A SIZZLER! An entertaining story filled with a web of secrets and scandalous escapades that complicate the lives of the Jefferson’s and the Morris’s. Suspenseful and twisty, and THAT ending just flew out of nowhere. Wow. Enjoyed - a must read.
DeAnn
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4 solid stars to this tale full of deception - I stayed up late to finish it!

The book opens with a heartbreaking scene of a car crash with one surviving sibling. Hannah Mary McKinnon feeds us the tale with alternating POV chapters and flashing backward in time and then to the present day.

Abby is the surviving sibling and we learn about her wonderful relationship with her brother Tom. This truly feels like a before/after book as Abby's life is dramatically different after the accident. I think I
Melanie (mells_view)
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Neighbors was an entertaining story from the first page to the very last. New neighbors move in next door, and everything just unravels from there. Lies between husbands and wives. Tension between mothers and daughters. Old flames coming back into your lives. Secrets that you’ve kept buried for years and years. Lies you’ve told yourself to keep yourself sane. Deceit. Dishonesty. Unfaithfulness That’s what this book is.

This story is told in multiple POV’s, and also jumps from present to past.
Frank Phillips
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book met and exceeded all of the expectations I had for it so I'm giving it a full 5 Star rating!! So incredibly fast paced it was near impossible to put down, and I found myself fully invested in all of the characters, wanting to know how their stories ended.
The ending was COMPLETELY unexpected and I was frankly blown away by it. Very sad story overall and it hit close to home for me, as I was also involved in an accident in which a family member was killed. There was a valuable lesson to
Jamie Rosenblit
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Felt like a modern take on a Shakespearean tragedy - in a gooood way!

I really enjoyed this! I listened to the audio and the dual timeline and switching perspectives made the storytelling really unique and interesting to follow!
Stephanie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2018
This story is being marketed as a domestic suspense novel with review blurbs on the cover from authors such as Mary Kubica and Kimberly Belle, but what I read doesn't fit that genre well and setting expectations for such left me confused and ultimately disappointed. The tone of the story is striving for suspenseful, but it leans much more towards dramatic soap opera-y, complete with one dimensional characters.

At the end of the story we arrive at the promised twists, but it was hard to appreciat
Libby
‘The Neighbors’ by Hannah Mary McKinnon is an unsettling and suspenseful read. If this book was a musical instrument, it would be an edgy piano medley with a sad low voice singing in the background of a smoke filled room, luring me into a mysterious world. The story starts off in 1992 with a car crash, torturous, Abby is thrown from a car, her brother Tom trapped inside. Abby can’t save him, the car explodes into flames with brother and sister both screaming. Abby’s mother blames Abby for the ac ...more
Hannah Mary McKinnon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
How odd that Goodreads asks me to review my own novel! Well, of course I'm going to give it 5 stars :-)))))
Jayme
THEN: Abby and Liam are in love and about to move in together when a car crash takes the life of her brother Tom. Abby blames herself and does not feel that she deserves to be happy, so she pushes Liam away.

NOW: Abby is married to Nate, a man who adores her. He was the person who pulled her away from the burning wreckage of the car, saving her life. He was unable to also save her brother Tom. They have one daughter, Sarah, and are content..until the new neighbors move in....Liam, his wife, Nanc
Rhonda Ruff
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow just wow. This book was quite a page turner. The twists the turns and just when you think you have things figured out Bam something else you didn’t expect comes at you! So glad I moved this one up on my tbr. Check it out you won’t regret it!
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I read this book so fast, I could not read fast enough. I had to know the secrets that were being kept. This book will be the train wreck you did not see coming. You are going to be blown away but what you find out.
This is my second book my McKinnon and she is moving to the top of my must read authors list.
Don't miss this book, the twists, turns, and lies are going to blow you away.

• Jar of Hearts
  • Before She Knew Him
  • Best Friends Forever
  • The Night Olivia Fell
  • The Swap
I was born in the UK and grew up in Switzerland. Unsurprisingly I love chocolate, mountains and cheese, and books, of course.

When I moved to Canada with my husband and three sons in 2010 I went through an (early) mid-life crisis. Maybe it was the failed attempt at a start-up company, but one morning I decided to follow my oldest passion; writing - and never wanted to look back.

My first novel, TI