Start by marking “Chrysalis: The Emergence of Emery” as Want to Read:
Chrysalis: The Emergence of Emery

Chrysalis: The Emergence of Emery

(The Gifted Series #1)

Emery never realized the kind of power she held.

Her whole life had been one long battle. Against other children, bullies, her abusers. Forever the outsider, living her days isolated and lonely. She didn't know that while waging her own battles, another kind of war was coming.

In just one night her whole life changed.

When she finds herself in danger, the power that was ly
Published June 3rd 2017 (first published July 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Chrysalis, please sign up.
Maria Macdonald Hi Tasmia,
Reverence is releasing April 30th 2019. The last book (Ascendance) will be released in Summer 2019. Thank you for your patience!

Diana's (Books And Coffee Cups)
This book was so out of left field for me, in a very good way!!..Not because I thought it wouldn't be good, but because it had been such a long time I hadn't read the paranormal Genre. But I'm super happy I was able to receive and read an ARC.
This book and story was phenomenal to say the least. It was packed with non-stop action from beginning to end. The characters alone and their story is intriguing and so well developed. Once I read the first Three chapters I was all in!!
I wont give out too m
Tracey
I can take a breath now. .... that was an exciting read.

This is Emery's story, she has been alone for a long time but life is about to change.

When Emery is heading home, she gets cornered by some supposed men from her college and their intention is clear - to hurt her, things don't go to plan and they are soon dead and Emery is being whisked away somewhere by a stranger.

The author hasn't put much in the book blurb so I'm hesitant to say too much as I don't want to spoil things....

For Emery there
Aimee Button
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favourite book. In the first few chapters I fell in love with Kade and I had already developed a soft spot for Tristan and Elijah. Emery came across as a scared person when deep inside she wasn't. I have read this book multiple times and wouldn't want to read anything other than this for the rest of my life.

I had never read a paranormal book before and now PNR are the only books I will read now, except the odd romance or action. This book made me cry, laugh and fall in love
Nadia

I love paranormal books, but I don't tend to gravitate towards YA novels, however this story makes me think that perhaps I should!

This was the first book by Maria Macdonald that I've read, and after finishing Chrysalis, I'm definitely going to check out her other work. Her writing style is smooth and flows well. The characters were well developed and there was so much action, that my head started to spin.

The story is mainly told from the POV of Emery, the sweet, lovable, relatable hero
Yvonne Eason
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly didn't think I would find another paranormal book that I could get into. I haven't read paranormal in years.

This story however is brilliantly written and keeps you captivated all the way through.

In the end, who will win? The book ends on a cliffhanger, so I am going to have to wait to find out. But for that I am not sorry!! looking forward to reading the next book in the series once released. hopefully won't be too long.
Marie Pedrick
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a riveting read, with unexpected twists and turns throughout. The storyline pulls you in to a world like no other whilst keeping it linked with our own, leaving endless possibilities of things to come. This review was written on behalf of Amo & Sarah's book corner.
Johnaka
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chrysalis by Maria Macdonald
“Paranormal one click, 4 stars”

Maria has done it again. This time we get something a little different from her and her usual style. We get a paranormal romance. Usually when authors I like go from romance books to paranormal I get a little twitchy. Chrysalis didn’t make me twitchy at all though. For me it was the perfect balance between paranormal and romance. For the record I prefer more paranormal then romantic drama when it comes to this type of story.
Emery thought
Yvonne Davies
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Bought up in foster care, Emery always felt that the world was against her, bullied at school, ignored it life, Emery just wanted to be invisible and survive day to day. Little did she know what she was getting into when she fought back after a late-night attack. Whilst zapping her attackers she ends up meeting mystery man and trusting her instincts goes with him for safety. Taking her to a safe house, she knew that she had finally found her family an odd ball of people all after one thing to fi ...more
Karenj
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I haven't read this story sooner, seeing that it's from one of my firm fave authors, is that PNR isn't one of my usual genres .. but over the past year I have pushed myself out of that comfort zone and finally therefore decided to read this... and am I glad I did !! Whilst I'm a little on the slower side at getting to grips with new to me terminology that is used in PNR stories this did not take away from the heart of this story, the connections built between the characters and t ...more
Boo Vickery
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in 2018!

This book is so amazing, it captured me very well. And it drug me down with it.
Every emotion was strong in this book, when they were sad, you felt it to. When the love between the characters were showing, you felt the love too.
The characters all help a strong bond and I was so excited but yet sad to see the book end. And to see how it ended made me wanting more.

I am a big fan now! I will be waiting for book 2, and anyone who loves Fantasy should diffidentl
C.J. Fallowfield
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I need to reconsider my assumptions on my preferred reading genres. Each time I'm offered a paranormal ARC, part of me whines to myself "but it's not my go to genre of choice." Yet four of the five that I've read have ended up being awarded one of my very rare five stars, and Macdonald's book was one of those. That ratio of five stars in comparison to books read is vastly lower in my usual romance/chick-lit/erotic romance reads, so maybe I need to refocus my reading choices elsewhere! Th ...more
Analia Almonte
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maria once again you teach us you have a gift. I'm not a fan of any paranormal read but hooked me from the beginning till the end. The journey of the life of Emery was amazing in every part of the world, she was fierce and I love it.
This book was one of the best I read by the genre of paranormal and I cannot wait to read more of it. The chemistry between Emery and Kade was over the charts hot, and I cannot wait for more.
Once a gain hands down Maria!
Morgan Terry
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maria-macdonald
I’ll be honest, I’m not usually one to partake in paranormal or otherworldly stories but Chrysalis – The Emergence of Emery HAD ME HOOKED!!!! I read this baby in one sitting and I hated that I had to put it down. The journey Emery has to take is so full of life and love and loss that I found myself very much embedded into her world, completely engrossed, and eagerly waiting for more. Even more so, I love that Maria, an author that I’ve come to absolutely adore, has changed it up a bit from her u ...more
Amo & Sarah &
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Given in exchange for an honest review***

This is Maria Macdonald’s first attempt at the paranormal genre and I have to say she has done a superb job. I don’t really read paranormal but I felt like I really needed to read this because of the author, she is on my automatic one-click list. I love her style of writing, the way she draws you in and grabs a hold of you and doesn’t let go until that very last word.

Emery, has been bullied all her life and hasn’t really belonged anywhere, until she me
Sarah Queen
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Given in exchange for an honest review***

Eli
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book took me to a completely different world. Maria Macdonald has created this unique new world with characters that amazed me. I was immediately drawn in by Emery. She is new to the world her family is from. Growing up thinking she was alone, her life revolved around loneliness and misery. That is until her brother takes her to the world she belongs in.

"I’m not alone anymore, and that makes every other confusing and scary thing that’s happening right now seem perfectly okay."

Her n
Kaylene Osborn
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, really enjoyed this story

Chrysalis - The Emergence of Emery (The Gifted Series Book One) by Maria Macdonald was an awesome read, and I really enjoyed this story.

While I don't read a lot of paranormal books, I do read some, and this one is one of the best ones I have read for a while, keeping my interest from cover to cover.

There is so much in this story, magic powers, danger, history, enemies, romance, and action which is in amongst well-developed characters and a sweet story line
Jeanette Book-Reviews
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 4-star
****4 Stars****

I didn't hesitate reading this book written by this author as I've read her other books.... This is her first book written in paranormal YA romance. (She did a bang up job by the way!! LOL)

WOW! I enjoyed reading Emery's story as its was refreshing to read and the fact its not your typical paranormal books that I love. This author did an amazing job as its was written beautifully....

Right I don't post spoilers, but all I can honestly say if you want to read something magical then y
Amber - TBR Book Blog
I am not a paranormal person. That being said, I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I like that Emery doesn't know what's going on and what she is and so everyone has to explain it to her. Because I don't understand the paranormal, so that helped me get into this book and understand more rather than just take everything as it was given. There were reasons for why things happened.

And Kade! Growly, strong, alpha Kade. He's swoon-worthy! I knew he was going to be "the guy" in this whole thing. He seemed so possess
Jellie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DAMN THAT WAS GOOD!!!!

This is the new book from Maria Macdonald. I was so used to her heart-warming stories that this book blew me away!

I love how the story revolves around Emery and that her life she knew is about to turn 360. From her discovering She that isnt alone but has a brother all along, learning that She has powers, Powers that are far too powerful than any other. With the help of her new family, She is starting to have light in her life.

I cant wait to read the second and see if can st
Corrine Pickering
Chrysalis - The Emergence of Emery. (The Gifted Series) - Maria MacDonald

4.75 Stars

Oh wow I loved this book, Emery and Kade ... I absolutely adore them.

I love a good paranormal read and this one had me hooked right from the very start. With the whole super power thing going on and the setting is within this world - rather than being in a different world, this was such a refreshing change from the norm.

Personally, I would have liked a bit more 'naughty adult' content, but having said that this b
Jo
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really draws you into the story right from the off. The spark between Kade and Em; the relationship with Eli; both very different, but both created with depth and feeling of developing ties. The characters and world building/mythology were solid.

My issue with this book? Em's swings between extremely mature and childish behaviour.I found that to be a little jarring.

Nevertheless, a reasonable addition to my kindle library.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Laura Button
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! I'm not usually a paranormal reader but I received an arc from this phenomenal author so started reading. Chrysalis gripped me from the first few pages and has me hooked. Loved the characters and storyline. Elijah is brilliant😀 I can't wait for more of Emery in the second instalment. Thank you once again Maria you've outdone yourself again
Kerry
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im not one for reading paranormal books but im a fan of maria Macdonald so decided to give it a go . I'm glad I did because its excellent.go read it if you haven't x
Emmbooks
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book!

I don't get to read that much paranormal these days, and this one just reminded me how much I miss it. cant wait for more Emery and Kade.
BeautyandtheBooks
Wow! I need more!!! I had no idea this wasn't a stand alone so I'm super sad. I fell off the paranormal wagon long ago, but I'm back! This was amazing!! I neeeeed more!!!
Emily
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Emery has grown up in the foster system thinking that she has no family and no loved ones to care for her. One day, her life changes when she fights back against some bullies in an alley. She discovers that she has powers, and she also finds out that she has a brother: Elijah. He takes her to a safe house where there are others like her and starts to answer some of her questions about who she is and what she can do (although, he cannot answer her questions fast enough to satisfy her intense curi
Ann  Goubert (Driven by Books)
I'm not really a PNR reader but I've come to enjoy it, although it always depends on the story. But there's just something about how this author writes, that always gets you drawn into the story. I don't know how she does it but she really has become a favorite author of mine and definitely a one-click author! I loved getting to know the characters in this new series. Even if PNR isn't really your thing, these might just do the trick to change your mind, if you just at least give it a try and go ...more
DrivenbyBooks
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may not really be a PNR reader but I've come to enjoy it, although it always depends on the story. But there's just something about how this author writes, that always gets you drawn into the story. She has really become a one-click author of mine and definitely a favorite! I loved getting to know the characters in this new series. Even if PNR isn't really your thing, these might just do the trick to change your mind, if you just give it a try and go into it with an open mind, you might find s ...more
Nadine
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chrysalis is truly aptly named!

I was not too sure what I was going to get into when I started reading, but Maria was kind and sweet to not make me wait long for things to start happening.

You know me, I am an action kind of girl and my prayers got answered rather quickly. Now, I am not talking about super complex fight sequences, but a development in the plot and I got it.

Now there are a lot of things going on and I pretty much felt as Emery did throughout the start of the book. I liked the wa
Goodreads Librari...: Delete my cover photo. 3 22 Jun 16, 2016 07:42AM
Maria is a full time working Mum, she has two beautiful daughters, both of whom love books as much as she does.

Maria has loved to write since she was a little girl.

Reading and loving books, as well as blogging, has inspired her to write and publish.

Maria, her husband and children now reside in Wiltshire, England.

You can catch up with her at - https://www.facebook.com/authormariam...

The Gifted Series (2 books)
  • Reverence - The Evolution of Emery