Start by marking “Here I Stand: Stories That Speak For Freedom” as Want to Read:
Here I Stand: Stories That Speak For Freedom

Here I Stand: Stories That Speak For Freedom

Did you know that ... government spies can turn on your phone and use the microphone to listen to your conversations? ... that lesbian and gay relationships are illegal in 78 countries and can be punished by death? ... that Amnesty recently recorded the highest number of executions globally for more than 25 years?

Through short stories and poetry, twenty-five leading autho
Published 2017 by Walker Books (first published August 4th 2016)

Trish
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all here know the term book hangover. We all know what it means.

This book had a similar effect on me while being a completely different case. Let me explain:
=> It was similar because it made me cry and stopped me from being able to think of anything else or concentrate on anything else.
=> It was completely different because there are no "characters" here. The stories in this book are either original accounts from people affected or inspired by true stories.

Amnesty International has coll
Whispering Stories
Here I Stand, is a beautiful, pragmatic book by amnesty International, that looks at human rights across the globe.

From a young boy being ‘used’ as a way to keep his mother alive by her new boyfriend, after his father died, to a te
Rawan.
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“They may take our lives , But they will never take our freedom”
Here I stand..⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book is so real and amazing inside and out. It’s a short stories and poems written by 25 authors around the world

They shade some lights on real and sensitive issues in each and every society such as ; Racism, Child busing, LGBT rights ,Human rights in general , Suicide ,How to cope with pain ,Refugees , Terrorism and so on.
Through fiction stories and poetry

Here i stand is more than great it’s precious , It i
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hugely important, excellent variety of issues and authors.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
This was an extremely powerful and worthwhile read. I'm really glad that I finally decided to pick this one up. Anthologies will always be a mixed bag, with some hits and some misses, but this one was incredibly strong with the majority of stories feeling high quality and conveying valuable messages. I would normally only rate an anthology at 3 or 3.5 stars due to the varied mix of styles but this one is a solid 4 minimum.

I'm not going to talk about every story but I'll mention a few that stood
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book. This in no way affects my opinion*

RATED 3.5/5 STARS

Oh, where to start with this book.

A collection of short stories, poems and even a couple of doodles/comic strips, you get so many things in this book. They all handle topics relating to the rights of freedom – of course, all of which being quite large, heavy subjects. But considering they’re short stories, they’re done really well. They’
El
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book, it’s such a great collection of short stories!
They were the perfect length, not too long (although I would have liked some to be a little longer to explain more) which made binge reading them so easy!
They all made me think, it was an important feature that they never told you what to think, they just gave you a story and left you to draw a conclusion.

The footnotes were great - allowing an insight to the story, although I wish more of the stories had one!
And I loved ho
Oda Renate
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really emotional,important book.
Okay yes I skipped some but in these anthologies you can do it now and then.
Barbara Band
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of 25 short stories and poems explores various elements of human rights. It is not a comfortable read, covering issues such as child abuse, racism, LGBT rights, suicide, domestic abuse and human trafficking but then the violation of people's human rights isn't comfortable either. However, there is a lot of inference and nothing too specific or graphic so would be suitable for mid/older teens. Each author has written a brief explanation about the basis of their story which adds depth an ...more
L.H. Johnson
There's a lot to love about this pained, poised collection of short stories and much of that comes from its careful and classy curation. The authors, ranging from Frances Hardinge through to Sarah Crossan, and Chris Riddell, sit alongside a foreword by a human rights lawyer and an afterword, of sorts, consisting of an interview with Chelsea Manning. Most contributions to the collection have a brief afterwood explaining the context behind the piece, though one of the strongest - 'Barley Wine' by ...more
ery
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
i wasn’t sure how to rate this book as it’s a collection of short stories and there were some that were better than others but as a whole, i think it is an important read, especially for a younger audience (young as in like 12-15, maybe 11?) sometimes the stories were a bit confronting but sugar coating things would be the exact opposite of what this book is trying to achieve.
Zohal
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I really appreciate this anthology of short stories and poems. I enjoyed the first half more as the stories were more engaging and creative. The second half was not as engaging, but overall this is a very powerful anthology that will make you think deeply about the world around you. I highly recommend it!
Cote Cabrera
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked some stories more than others but overall it was a beautiful collection of short stories about freedom and human rights. Very important read if you want to gain some perspective on some issues that happen around the world. Highly recommend.
Farah1307
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking and important
Loved the first story the most <3
Victoria Hughes
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book refuses to let you go. It refuses to let you go about your life ignoring the safety nets you have around you, which others so painfully lack. It was horrific. And it was necessary.
Caroline
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of 26 different stories, all circling around the issue of Human Rights. There are a couple of poems and one comic strip. Well known authors have written the stories and they are all moving. The stories are good to read on their own, but would also make an excellent story starter for PSHE lessons or assemblies around human rights. Definitely a book that every school should have.
Lily
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These short stories are wonderfully written - both heartwarming and spine chilling.
The fact that these stories will confront us, just proves the need for them to be read.

A powerful and moving read for everyone.
Emi
This book seemed like a really appropriate read this week with everything going on in the world... As always with short story collections, i liked some more than others, my favourites being Neil Gaiman and Amy Leon's contributions.
Rachael
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very important stories. It was nice to read a book of mixed media with positive messages of awareness.
Martha
Trigger Warning - sexual and physical violence

"The greatest threats to liberty today come not from terrorism but the fear of terrorism and our politicians' misguided quest for absolute security."

This is a collection of short stories collected by Amnesty International to highlight the human rights abuses that are still pervasive across the world today. When I picked it up, I initially assumed it was true stories of people that Amnesty had worked with; but it is actually fiction from authors such
Prince Arora
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book itself sums up the experience - 'Stories and poetry are a wonderful way of making us think, helping us understand the world and other people. More than that, they can inspire our empathy - which we need if we're to overcome prejudice.'.

I've been in this world a while now and I'd like to think that I have learnt a few meaningful lessons, some that I'll take with me to the end. I have experienced hate, prejudice, malice, unreasonable and illogical upsetting behaviour from other people; b
Avril
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book starts with a story about child sexual abuse. It includes stories about modern sex slavery, and a man on death row, and bullying that leads to suicide, and a suicide bomber, and a girl accused of witchcraft. This is not an easy book. I limited myself to one or two chapters a day so I didn’t get overwhelmed. And yet this is a collection for teenagers. I read it thinking about how important it is for children in countries like the UK and Australia to know these things (I think Tony Birch ...more
Joanna
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Linda
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I believe that repressing ideas spreads ideas, I believe that people and books and newspapers are containers for ideas, but that burning the People will be as unsuccesful as firebombing the newspaper archives.
It's already too late. It's always too late.
The ideas are out, hiding behind people's eyes, waiting in their thoughts. They can be whispered. They can be written on walls in the dead of night. They can be drawn.
I believe that in the battle between guns and ideas, ideas will eventually win
Kanzy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through a series of twenty-five short stories, poems, and even a few comic strips, written by well known and renown authors, you are given different insights into how human rights are being trampled on, not only by other individuals, but by some communities as a whole. Here I Stand, is a beautiful, expedient book by amnesty International. It is a powerful book, one not to be taken lightly. Each author, at the end of their chapter, explains why they wrote the story, and what made them choose that ...more
Hannah
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, mental-health
You know a short story collection is going to be pretty grim, when John Boyne is the first writer in the collection. As you can see, I'm still not over the Absolutist.

I think one thing I can say for this short story collection, is that I've never come across a short story collection where the quality throughout most, if not all the stories, is stellar. There are some short story collections where one of them drags, and lets the entire collection down; this book isn't one of them.

All of these s
Quoc Huynh
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful, heart-wrenching collection of stories, poems, and comic strips. They make us think about human right issues around the world, such as child abuse, racism, suicide, etc. The fact that the world now stands on a slippery slope, together with the themes in the book, some of which may hit very close to home, makes us realise how far we have come, and how much further we still have to go. The author's explanation at the end of each story is also a splendid inclusion, helping readers unders ...more
Nancy Sebert
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of short stories I bought in England because I really like Chris Riddell's illustrations (the cover art). The subject matter is tough, with adults molesting kids, suicide, racism, cultural divides, prison, and much more in the stories. All super relevant to our political climate and all important for kids to read, but probably older middle or high school is most appropriate for audience. Proceeds go to Amnesty International, and the stories all relate to the idea of freedom. Worth a look!
Emily Mead
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand I think it's great that Amnesty International has commissioned (not sure if it's the right word, but we'll go with it) this book, because there are some really important issues here - death penalty, female genital mutilation, slavery etc. (TW for a whole bunch of things btw).

But at the same time I'm really uncomfortable with the fact that the GREAT majority of the authors are white, and often writing stories that really don't belong to them
Anne
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Human rights belong to all of us, no matter who we are or where we live."

I've read my fair share of short story collections and normally, I like a few of the stories very much, enjoy some or the most and dislike a few others.
But this collections was something else. I loved it! I enjoyed every story.

It honestly is the best collections of short stories I'v ever read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Remembrance
  • No Virgin
  • Margot & Me
  • Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different
  • The Everest Files (Everest Files, #1)
  • Terms & Conditions: Life in Girls’ Boarding-Schools, 1939–1979
  • There May Be a Castle
  • The Chalet School at War
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
Born in Glasgow in 1961 to a Scottish mother and a Nigerian father, Kay was adopted by a white couple, Helen and John Kay, as a baby. Brought up in Bishopbriggs, a Glasgow suburb, she has an older adopted brother, Maxwell as well as siblings by her adoptive parents.

Kay's adoptive father worked full-time for the Communist Party and stood for election as a Member of Parliament, and her adoptive moth