Start by marking “Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)

Widdershins

(Whyborne & Griffin #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  6,209 ratings  ·  1,082 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN-10: 0988564106 (ISBN13: 9780988564107)

Some things should stay buried.

Repressed scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne has two skills: reading dead languages and hiding in his office at the Ladysmith Museum. After the tragic death of the friend he secretly loved, he’s ruthlessly suppressed any desire for another man.

So when handsome ex-Pinkerton
Published September 5th 2016 (first published December 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Widdershins, please sign up.
Ssarsfield I love this book/series. There are absolutely some strong similarities to The Bone Key at the start. Some of it is that they both draw strongly from…moreI love this book/series. There are absolutely some strong similarities to The Bone Key at the start. Some of it is that they both draw strongly from the whole Lovecraft mythos. Some of it, well... I can see how it might look funny.

BUT, there are like six more of these books, and the development of the characters and side characters, and the ongoing story move way WAY beyond the handful of stories in The Bone Key. I'd absolutely recommend it.(less)

·  6,209 ratings  ·  1,082 reviews

Julio Genao
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
it's not you, book. it's me.

actually, that's not true at all. it's totally you.

i'm just trying not to offend all your fans, bcuz coward.

i think you were good in conception, and poor in execution. i think continuity errors—objects dropped in a panic in one scene, and reappearing like nothing in another—really went a ways toward damaging our budding rapport.

i think entire phrases being repeated in two different scenes was pretty much as bad as calling a dick a "length" six times in the same scene.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I hesitated, but it was night, and words spoken in the dark can always be forgotten come the dawn.”

So this was the first book I pulled from my newly invented "Bookie Jar" and since I didn’t even know this was on my e-reader I was really surprised that I’m already in the possession of such a nice gem! *lol* I guess it was a really good idea to make my “Bookie Jar” because otherwise this might have stayed on my e-reader for eternity without me ever knowing that it even exists. XD

Anyway, let’s mov
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A gay virgin, a paranormal, a horror, and a historical walk into a bar... wait what?

description

This book was kind of amazing... and odd... and then amazing again. I loved Whyborne and Griffin and I loved them as a couple. All sorts of deliciousness. I even liked the historical setting, something that is hit or miss for me. And of course, my love for virgins made this read simply scrumptious- I adored each blush and hesitancy from Whyborne.

I listened to the audiobook, which was both good and bad. I always l
Susan
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

HOLY COW! Well, I had heard some really great things about this book and it comes recommended by some amazing readers and writers so…duh…I had a feeling it was going to be GOOD.

I just had NO IDEA (my own fault…I should be paying closer attention) how action-packed, SCARY, skin-crawl-inducing, heart-pounding it would be! This is not some sweet, quiet, historical romance. Not even close. This has death, and afterlife, and grave sites, and occult practices, and SCARY CHARACTERS and at numerous time
Ami
3.65 stars rounded up

This book is a historical (Victorian era) paranormal adventure romance.

What I like:

+ Despite it being historical (a genre I usually stay away from), the plot is quite adventure heavy as Percival and Griffin try to uncover mysterious cultists and evil sorcerers and terrifying monsters. It also involves museum setting -- which is something I truly like (Night at the Museum, people? Love that movie *lol*)

+ There is character development too -- which I always fully appreciate.
Amy Lane
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solidly characterized, wistfully written, this book gives you a playful view to the Edwardian era in which Egyptology and obscure science held a mystical appeal, men were men and woman had all sorts of strange notions about equality. It's a classic resurrection story, in which the thing you're bringing back is way worse than the loss itself, and Percival Whyborne is an engaging, prickly hero. His painful isolation is rudely interrupted by one Griffin Flaherty, haunted ex-Pinkerton agent who has ...more
Simone
***4 solid stars***
Bildergebnis für eyes growing bigger gif

Great, that's what it is!

Loved the story (although my vivid imagination went into overdrive and I could have done without some gory visuals, but still...), loved the characters and I loved the audiobook even more. WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS????

'Nuff said, on to the next! ;-)
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.25*

I am not a fan of historical stories, mostly because I get grumpy at the treatment of woman, who are very little more than adornments and possessions and daughters are a burden.
But also because of the even more prominent social inequality, financial inequality and of course in m/m the very real threat of prison or worse as punishment for being gay.
This book covers all of those points, portrait them, but also thumbed its nose at them.

We have clumsy, brilliant, repressed, wonderful and brav
Macky
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Macky by: Simons reviews
What an absolute cracker! If I could up the rating on this I would. I bought it because I saw the great reviews the second book was having and wanting to read that thought it only right to start with book one to get used to the characters. One of the best decision and purchases I've made and now I'm chomping at the bit to get to Threshold Whyborne Griffin 2 which is sitting waiting not so patiently on my Kindle.

This had everything you could ask for from a m/m paranormal romance. I'm not going to
Barbara➰
Tons of reviews out there for this but I will say I really enjoyed this book! I LOVE Whyborne...nerdy, awkward and shy..right up my alley. I so wanted him to get everything he deserved and to be loved and accepted for who he was.

Only two reasons why I'm not giving this 5 stars: I did feel like all the paranormal stuff and mystery overshadowed the romance a bit. I wanted more of them together and to see the emotional part a bit more. What I did get I absolutely loved. I love the two of them toget
Lois Bujold
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like early 20th C. pulp fiction in the romantic horror mode
Recommended to Lois by: Amazon links, again.
More in the string of paranormal m/m quasi-historical romances I have wandered into -- Amazon is a dangerous place late at night -- set around the turn of the last century, this time in an American setting -- a Massachusetts town straight out of H.P Lovecraft crossed with The Mummy. Quite well written, and I very much liked voice of the the narrator/protagonist, a painfully shy philologist and linguistic genius working at the local museum, who meets the man of his dreams in the form of an ex-Pin ...more
Heather C
What did I love about this book?

The Characters: They were so sweet! I love the socially impaired book nerd (Whyborne) secretly lusting after the handsome PI (Griffin). I think these two will defiantly be one of my favorite couples.

The Setting: It was dark and spooky and kind of alternate historical. It was unique with these horrible, disgusting monsters and sorcery and...just different. Hard to explain.

The Mystery: I couldn't figure it out and was shocked quite a few times. Although now that
Ingie
Written February 18, 2014

4 Stars - an amazing adventure with a new couple of male lovers who reached the heights

I bought Widdershins months ago but I never found the right time to read it. At last, I did it together with my very best Brittish Buddy, Bev (her review). ~ We started on Valentine's Day and I was so excited. I have heard so many good opinions regarding this Whyborne & Griffin series.

~ Rightly so, this was a great exciting and well-written historical romance with both paranormal a
Chelsea
I am soooooo glad there are more books in this series because I may have died if I couldn't read more about these two.

I am in love with this story!!!! Just look at my updates!

If you like paranormal mysteries and shy, vulnerable, possessive, awkward, sweet men. If you like great world building and strong side characters. If you like friends to lovers and super HOT sex. If you like beautiful descriptive writing and humour, you'll LOVE this book!

I could go on, but I've just finished night shift a
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ by: Jade
"I craved him, like an opium addict craved the pipe: the sound of his voice, the touch of his hand, his mere presence in the same room."

description

Recommended to me by Jade : my fizzy confidant and expert advise giver with all that makes you feel things™

How a private detective, an archaeologist, and a comparative philologist were to thwart the plans of a powerful secret society, I had no idea.

Widdershins made me feel allll the things™ and I couldn't help but feel the different shades of self satisfactio
☙ percy ❧
"The world was hideously fragile, everyday life nothing more than a thin film laid over infinite depths of chaos and terror. But it was still my life, and I'd be damned if I let it be torn away without a fight."

if i don't get a TV show of this series at ONCE with ben whishaw as whyborne and alex vlahos as griffin, i am fucking rioting.

WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS SERIES:

- magic
- steamy, sometimes a lil' angsty m/m romance
- protagonist is a nerdy classicist who is #RELATABLE (“I seldom ate out, bot
Richard Derus
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Some things should stay buried.

So when handsome ex-Pinkerton Griffin Flaherty approaches him to translate a mysterious book, Whyborne wants to finish the job and get rid of the detective as quickly as possible. Griff
Steelwhisper
4.5* Some mild spoilers below!

This was a fresh, very enjoyable read, which except for one or two niggles really warmed my heart.

I absolutely adored the balance of plot and character development, it was perfect. I sat on the edge of my chair even though I'm not (anymore) into paranormal or horror tales, still I was quite invested in the PNR plot of this and wanted things to be unravelled and come to closure. It wasn't that dime a dozen a plot either, there were several twists the results of whic
Lena♥Ribka
A very good written adventure historical romance. You'll find all elements providing an entertaining thrilling read - a creepy resurrection Brotherhood mystery, intriguing action-packed plot, a well created Victorian time period's atmosphere, two fantastic MCs with a nice slow developed romance between them and nice sex scenes.

I can't really explain why I didn't enjoy it more. Well, I liked Widdershines more than The Magpie Lord. But I had a feeling during reading that I knew the story, a strang
Ms. Smartarse
I got into the M/M romance genre relatively late, and mostly because I needed some respite from the overly flowery and cliche-filled vocabulary of the historical romance genre. I wanted to get that awesome feeling of reading "guilty pleasure" again, without getting hung up on language subtleties. As such, Josh Lanyon's no-nonsense approach was a welcome change, which ultimately proved to be seriously addictive.

Sort of addictive

So when my best friend called Jordan L. Hawk better than Lanyon, the comparison soun
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars. This book is an engaging read from start to finish, with a narrator who is appealing, believable and who develops and grows through the course of the story. Percival Endicott Whyborne begins the story as a quiet, repressed scholar, substituting a life of the mind for any engagement in the wider world. His internal guilt, over the accidental but preventable death of the boy he once loved, has kept him away from any other emotional entanglements. But when ex-Pinkerton detective Griffin ...more
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
Percival Whyborne is a shy, socially awkward kind of guy, comfortable hiding away with moldy old tomes. The thought of taking a lunch outside his office and having to actually converse with someone is out of his comfort zone. He can speak 13 languages and can read even more but he doesn’t think that any big thing.

He’s sweet and modest and hiding himself from the world for more reasons than shyness.

When Griffin Flaherty, a handsome PI walks into his life and ask Whyborne to decipher a mysterious
Natasha
What a bunch of mindfuckery!

What a totally awesome, fun, interesting book! Man, I loved this. It needs a place on my favorites shelf.
First off.. Guardians? WTF? READING about them made me feel yucky. That's so messed! Ewwwwwww!
Also this book was cute and Percival was just adorable! Also the sex scenes? Uh... hot. Hot hot hot! Like jalapeno hot.

If you read a lot of M/M romance... like myself, read this because it's an unusual world and a time period I'm not used to reading about in M/M books, but
Martin
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This novel was like a rare perfect moment in m/m romance. And here's why:

I LOVE H.P. Lovecraft's work. His take on horror goes beyond anything I have ever read before and to me he will always be THE master of the horror genre.

description

And here I found a m/m novel that not only lovingly refers to Lovecraft's ideas and concepts, but actually takes place in the Lovecraft universe!!

How awesome is that?!

Just a few hints of what immediately capured my interest:

Dr. Whyborne refuses to follow in his father's fo
Sara
ACK! I would ask the normal question of why did it take me so long to read this, but I know why; the paranormal aspect of the story. It's not what I normally read these days but a few friends promised me I would love this if I gave it a chance and OH BOY did I ever.

The paranormal scenes of the story are actually brilliant. They reminded me of watching Supernatural or an episode of my beloved X-Files... Mulder, there's something out there. It was easy and comfortable to get lost in each page of
Sofia

Liked the story, the plot and the characters main and secondary. Ms Hawk writes a flowing narrative with well rounded characters and she does not stint this ability with her secondary characters. In fact all the people she introduces us to are interesting, (not all likeable but that is not a requirement for me). Aside from her development of Whybourne and Griffin, we have people like Christine (loved her), Bradley (wimp), Whybourne's parents etc, all people with their own personality a
Isabel
This book is fantastic, and I have to say thanks to Em and Mandy, who encouraged me to reading it!

It has so many ingredients that I love: mystery, fantasy, magic, history, books, enigmas and ciphers, has a great female character and two fabulous MCs!

I enjoyed this book immensely and I love Whyborne and Griffin! I want to read more of them, because they are amazing and hot together!!!

Meags
4 Stars

Jolly good fun!

Widdershins is one hell of an engaging story, full of mystery, intrigue, horror and humour, and featuring a romance that will leave you smiling for days.

Here, Hawk has crafted an astoundingly impressive historically set story, starring two extremely adorable male leads, one feisty female sidekick, and a bunch of ghoulish foes just begging to be thwarted!
Emma Sea
The two MCS together are romantic and hot. The female character kicks ass, booyah! The plot itself is well-structured, but for some reason it didn't grab me. (view spoiler).

I'd like to read about Widdershins again, and I'll take as much of Ival and Griffin as I can get.
Rhys Ford
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're going to buy one book this month... quarter...year... it would be this one. Seriously, fantastic writing, tight plot and great world building.

I can't endorse this book enough. Well I could but I've got to sleep at some point.

Read the blurb, buy the book and then go head over to Hainted which I just started last night. Also a fricking incredible read.

Absolutely GORGEOUS writing. Author's now on my autobuy list.
A Million More Pages: Romance BR - Widdershins - Dec 5 11 16 Dec 06, 2015 06:30PM
Widdershins Wednesday with Wency, Wart & Whomever 66 65 Apr 23, 2014 11:24AM
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Winter (The Haunted Heart, #1)
  • Downtime
  • Soulless
  • The Only Gold
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
Jordan L. Hawk is a non-binary queer author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave them a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When they aren’t writing, they brew their own beer and try to keep the cats from destroying the house. Their best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, ...more

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin, #11)
“I will not surrender my profession simply because men throughout history have been unduly enamored of their penises!" - Dr. Christine Putnam” 56 likes
“I craved him, like an opium addict craved the pipe: the sound of his voice, the touch of his hand, his mere presence in the same room.” 21 likes