Start by marking “Black Amber” as Want to Read:
Black Amber

Black Amber

A Manhattan editor investigates her sister’s suspicious death in Istanbul in this novel by the New York Times–bestselling “queen of the American gothics” (TheNew York Times).

Tracy Hubbard, an up-and-comer at a prestigious New York City publisher, has arrived at a sprawling villa on the Bosporus strait in Istanbul for an enviable arrangement. She’s come to assist celebra
Published July 4th 2017 by Open Road Media Romance (first published 1964)

Moonlight Reader
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage-women
I liked this one a lot - great setting, in Istanbul on the Bosporus. The mystery was intriguing, and Yasmine, the white cat with the emerald green eyes, added a nice bit of drama. I liked it quite a bit better than Hunter's Green, as it turned out.
Cphe
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
An old fashioned romantic suspense. Tracy Hubbard travels to Turkey after receiving an SOS from her erratic sister Anabel. Unfortunately before Tracy can arrive in Turkey she learns that her sister has died under mysterious circumstances.

Really enjoy these romantic suspense novels, now a little dated but still engaging reads. Haven't read the author for many years so was very pleased to see them becoming available for kindle. Couldn't feel any real "spark" between the romantic leads here althoug
Jesse
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phyllis Whitney knows how to weave an enthralling web: heroine thrust into a mysterious house and household, with very unsure alliances (or rivalries), hidden rooms, secrets galore. This book was written in 1964, yet it stands the test of time with nary a blemish.

Phyllis Whitney's work is often classified as "romantic suspense" which, at the outset (when I'd first picked up the first book of hers that I'd read), would have led me to believe it was heavy on the romance and light on the suspense.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such incredible detail in this book. I just love her work.
Doris Pearson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insights into siblings emotions. Also insights given of how drugs ruin lives. A good quick summer read.
The Lit Bitch
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Phyllis Whitney is an author who has been on my radar since I was old enough to read and appreciate romantic suspense books…..so basically since like thirteen or fourteen. So for over 20 years I’ve been trying to motivate myself enough to read one of her books.

I mean she’s written tons and tons and tons of books so she must be doing something right. So why haven’t I picked up her books? I honestly have worried that they would be ‘dated’. I mean, Victoria Holt (my all time favorite romantic suspe
Allison Tebo
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Full of the poetic, beautiful writing style that I love and very reminiscent of one of my favorite authors (Mary Stewart) as far as style. It is a sad fact that modern authors simply don't write like this anymore! Set near the Golden Horn in the 1960s, this book reeks of atmosphere and touches all those old romantic feelings the imaginative still harbor for faraway lands.

The story line was interesting and I do relish a closed door situation - but it wasn't quite as compelling, interesting or thr
Sarah Mac
Not PW's best, though like all her books it has a certain charming edginess. Whitney depicts families in the soapy, overwrought vein of VC Andrews -- lots of inbred guilt, unfinished conversations, & issues with older sisters or parents -- but without the lolzy-gross sibling incest. ;)

This was first published in 1964, & it feels a bit dated -- not so much in the ultimate conflict, or even the villainy itself, but rather the douchebag hero & Tracy's cheesy sense of empowerment compare
Arismeire
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracy Hubbard tinha uma vida boa, morando em Nova York, trabalhando em uma famosa revista e recebendo cartões no Natal de uma meia-irmã mais velha que já adorara e invejara. Ao saber da morte desta irmã, a moça consegue que a enviem para ser assistente do famoso artista Miles Redburn. Sua intenção era a de investigar a morte da irmã sem que lhe mentissem ou ocultassem algo ao saber de seu parentesco com a falecida esposa de Miles.
A protagonista chega a Istambul e se torna hóspede da exótica Sylv
C.
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I regard Phyllis A Whitney as my mentor. When anyone learns the scope of her work, the jaw-dropping quantity of decades she lived to create it, they admire her too. A million personal preferences shape enjoyment of a book. The reasons needn’t be talent or lack of a superb story. I was swept into 1964's "Black Amber" immediately. There is much to rave about. A few aspects got under my skin nearer the end and descended my assessment to three stars.

Many writers do it but I find it irrelevant to spe
Brittany Rogers
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a weakness for romance, and the exotic, so this grabbed my attention and stole it away forever. I nearly cried when I realized I would hear no more about these characters. This book could have been so much longer, and felt as though it ended abruptly, but the ending was still satisfying in a sense of all loose ends were tied.
Sheri South
Much as I devoured romantic suspense during my teen years in the '70s, I'm finding now that many of the heroes are too "alpha" for my taste, and there's not enough romance to suit me. I still enjoy the exotic settings, but I find Mary Stewart holds up to re-reading better than Phyllis Whitney does.
girl writing
A favorite reread from my childhood when I traveled vicariously through books. Once I went through Whitney's young adult novels, I was thrilled to discover she wrote romantic suspense adults books. The big draw for me was the exoticness of the setting…Turkey. There is very little action and lots of description and dialog…have to kind of change your mindset when reading these older books. A fun reading escape
Meghan
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun story but a little cheesy for me. I would not call this a romance but others think so. Little odd for that scenerio. Nice read. If the ending was different I maybe would have given it a 3 star.
Susan
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as some of her other books. I thought it rather drawn out and didn't keep my interest as most of her other books have done.
Deborah
See Quicksilver Pool.
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, romance
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Gail Morris
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting
Farshana
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vr-lib
Ha, Back to my comfort read! Agatha Christie,Mary Stewart, Phyllis A Whitney are all authors who have mastered the art of creating thrillers with a handful of characters the members more or less from the same family. It is probably similar to the psychological domestic thrillers that are available today except maybe for the heightened spine tingling drama.
The Black Amber has the same theme of a single female who goes to Turkey in search of the truth of her sister's death and finds herself mixed
Jenn Estepp
I've been sort of binging on the Whitney e-books lately, when I'm feeling reader slumpy and nothing else is holding my attention. Of those that I've read this go-around, this is definitely my favorite. The setting is so good that I want to hop on a plane and go to Istanbul as soon as possible. Plus, it didn't totally resolve how I expected it to. And it is very much what it is. Which is to say a total 60s era Gothic - the hero is so very Mr. Rochester - and total catnip to me.
Ra
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This read was a sentimental choice as I enjoyed Whitney's book in my younger days, but the story somehow fell flat for me.
There was mystery but the resolution was sort of pointless in the end, it did not make sense to me at all. The writing was okay and the setting atmospheric but I could not get over the aloofness of the writer towards the culture and the people. They felt stereotypical and two-dimensional.
Cathy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book drug for me. I thought the characters (especially the protagonist) were flat, there was a total lack of suspense and mystery, the romance came out of nowhere and wasn't believable, the villain left no clues allowing the reader to puzzle it out, and even the setting wasn't to my taste (Turkey along the Bosporus). I usually enjoy Whitney but this one was not my cup of tea.
Diana Woolley
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phyllis Whitney has always been one of my favorite authors. Once again one of her books has kept me on the edge of my seat. I had a hard time putting the book down, so be prepared for a late night read.
Conyers
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
A classic Phyllis Whitney!
Claire Frances
I gave it three stars because I thought this book would be good with romance and suspense story. It was written in 1964. Everything was different. Different view of the society. This book is about Tracey going to Turkey to discover the death of her sister. She stays at her sister's husband's house to help him out with writing a novel but she ends up falling in love with her. This book is out of date, I think. My grandma gave the book to me and told me that it was a good book. I wanted to read th ...more
Sally

• The Shadow of the Lynx
  • Houses of Stone
  • Waiting Sands
  • Thunder on the Right
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (1903 – 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her early years in Asia. Whitney wrote more than seventy novels. In 1961