Start by marking “Christmas at Woolworths (Woolworths #2)” as Want to Read:
Christmas at Woolworths (Woolworths #2)

Christmas at Woolworths

(Woolworths #2)

Even though there was a war on, the Woolworths girls brought Christmas cheer to their customers

Published November 2nd 2017 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at Woolworths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at Woolworths

Kim
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, net-galley
This was a lovely book about a group of friends who met through their connection with Woolworths . We hear about rationing, women's war work which I found very interesting and the evacuees who went to the country.

The girl's friendships run very deep and they warmly embrace a new lady into their fold who is hiding heartbreak.  They are all embracing life despite the many hardships they face.  They accept their trials and tribulations and look to the future.

You really felt as though you were exper
Nicola Clough
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not wait to read this book as loved the first two so much and love how it follows on and full of friendship and love and plenty about the war and how hard times can be. It’s heartwarming and such a great read.
Sarah Maisie and Freda are brought together by their jobs at Woolworths and their loved ones are away fighting for the country and their friendship gets so strong and love hearing how they cope together. Betty also has a stranger turn up and can it change her life for the better. C
Donna Maguire

This is such a lovely book to read, I thoroughly enjoyed it!!  I bought and read the prequel to this book, Carols at Woolworths before I read this one and knowing how good that was (you can check my blog for a review of this book), I knew that I would definitely be in for a treat - and I was right - I loved it!!

I loved the writing style and the lot and best of all I love how Elaine makes you feel at ease reading about the characters and as though you are l
beverley ann
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
another fantastic book that i have enjoyed by this author. once again joining the woolworth girls, sarah, maisie and freda and their boss betty billington working hard keeping the shop afloat during 1942 ww2. a mysterious stranger turns up looking for betty by the name of douglas billington that has a story to tell. i love the way the author bring you closer to all the characters in this book like they are growing to be family to you. troubles and woe happen sadness and laughter that keeps them ...more
Lauren Tess'x
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Christmas at Woolworths is another lovely read from Elaine Everest set in the heart of Erith, in one of the most popular shops that was around – Woolworths.

In this book, Elaine has introduced us to some new characters, one of which, I thought was up to no good. Quickly did those thoughts die down and I became hopeful for Betty.

I saw Betty in a new light in this book, she is a strong woman and puts herself into her work, but with a newcomer in the picture, will Betty open her heart to love?

I fe
Layla Ashby
Enjoyed this book , but after about 8 chapters I wanted to finish it. So read to the end... but a good book,
Emma Crowley
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Christmas at Woolworths by Elaine Everest sees the return of my favourite characters from The Woolworth Girls. This festive sequel is a heart-warming read with the most beautiful cover that makes you feel all warm and cosy. It has been two years since I have read about these characters as The Butlins Girls, a stand alone novel, came between the first and second and book. So admittedly it did take me a couple of chapters to reacquaint myself with all the various characters and their connections t ...more
Janet McCarthy
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy seasonal reads and this book was such an enjoyable and enlightening read!

I found myself fully immersed in the story all the way through the book. The characters are well developed, authentic and endearing. I loved that the women were depicted as strong, interesting and inspirational characters.

Right from the start, I was intrigued to find out what life was like for those amazing women living in Erith, Kent. Freya, Ruby, Maisie, Sarah, Betty, Maureen, Vera and Pat to name but a few of the
Chloé
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has surprised me. I had no idea I’d be reading such a fantastically written story with a sensational plot.

Within a few pages, I was immersed into the lives of the women living in Erith. There’s Freda, Sarah, Maisie, Betty, Ruby, Maureen, Irene, Vera, Pat and young Georgina … and that’s just naming the ones mentioned in the first 50 odd pages!

Set in war time, I found this tale made me reflect on how inspirational women were back then – they just got on with things and kept the country f
Alison
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored The Woolworth Girls and have been looking forward to Christmas at Woolworths ever since. It has come at just the right time for me, it’s actually November now so I can allow myself to feel a bit festive and nostalgic.

It is fantastic to be back with the girls from Erith, the little huddle of friends whose lives have been linked via the store. True friendships, love interests and family dramas are all part of the story set during WW11. While their loved ones are away fighting i
Jo Barton
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah, Maisie and Freda work together at the Erith branch of Woolworths and have formed a strong bond of friendship which has seen them through difficult times, however, their loyalty and camaraderie is about to be tested again in this difficult year of World War Two. With their loved ones caught up on the war, the girls must keep their morale high, even though, at times, they are caught up in the worry and uncertainty of not knowing what's going on with those they love.

The story very quickly in
Julie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Elaine Everest just in time for Christmas. I enjoyed reading about the friends and the story set against the backdrop of WW2. It was also nice to see that romance isn't just for the young 'uns as Betty Billington begins to wonder if she could ever love again. As I read the book I could easily see it unfold as a TV drama. Wonderfully evoked and some great characters.
Vivien Brown
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of this book. Such a great cast of lovable characters, including a few newcomers since the first book, their lives all mixed up and linked together and everything working out so beautifully by the end. Roll on 1943 and the next in the series.
Pete
Dec 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As an ex-employee of Woolworths and a lover of a Christmas story I had high hopes: complete letdown. Barely any of the book is set at Christmas and despite the word Woolies being awkwardly shoehorned onto almost every page, the fact the girls work there is largely immaterial. If you want trite stories, tiny low-stakes drama that is resolved within a page and awful expositional dialogue then read this. I wish I’d thought of cashing in on Woolworths first: I would’ve written something better.
Sandra
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to start reading Christmas at Woolworths to find out how the girls and everyone else was.I am happy to say that the author had me glued to my book.It's so nice to be drawn into a book that gives you the feeling you are there in the thick of it.Maisie,Sarah,Freda,Ruby and Betty are such good friends and care so much for each other.I am so happy that Maisie finally got her wish and Ruby and Betty have new lives ahead of themselves.I don't want to say too much as this would spoil i ...more
Katie
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love reading about the girls at Woolworths during WW11.
Anna Falcucci
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No matter what life throws at you good family and friends will get you through it!

The continuing saga of the Woolworths friends, the bond of friendship continues to grow along with their extended friends and family. Can't wait for the next instalment
Heather Copping
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this second book in the Woolworths series, it was good to catch up with everyone in Earith, Kent. Now to start the next one in the series Wartime at Woolworths and I can't wait to find out how things pan out for everyone.
Judy Adams
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is war time and the women who work for Woolworths fell that they need to help out with the war in some capacity. The characters become friends of yours, and you can see the scenes in your mind. Everyone has something to do, there are new loves, old loves, and Ruby seems to keep it all in place.
Kathy  E
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant story of the Woolworths girls. You can imagine what they all went through in WWII. Sarah doing her bit in the ARP's, Freda becoming a motorbike messenger for the Fire Service and not to forget Maisie, with her bright character altering clothes for the girls and then getting the thing that she most wanted. Not to forget Ruby, Betty Billington and sharp tongued Vera. The characters are such loveable people. So let's hope Elaine Everests' next book keeps the girls going. I have en ...more
Tara Garnett
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just love these books. Didn't want to finish it. Such lovely characters and great stories. Can't wait for the next one.
Trudie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the woolworth girls series, I haven't read the first although it didn't spoil my enjoyment of this story. Easy to follow and likeable characters helped. I liked it so much I plan to read the first book before the next one comes out.
Shaz Goodwin
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I knew I was in for an interesting time when the story begins with Freda riding a Triumph motorbike on her way to Canterbury. She has something to deliver as well as looking for Betty and Maisie (intrigue! why is she riding a motorbike and why are Betty and Maisie in Canterbury and not Erith??). My interest was piqued.

It was so easy to get back into this world. I didn’t realise how much I had taken the characters to heart in The Woolworths Girls! Elaine Ev
Julie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In spite of the title, this is not a book based on Christmas; only the last chapter occurs on the actual days themselves. This is a wartime saga about a group of women, their loved ones and the lives they lead relating to a branch of Woolworths in Kent during 1942. It is the second in the popular Woolworths girls series, and it is an undoubtedly an enjoyable novel with many dramatic events. Not an unhappy saga in most ways, but full of human interest as a group of women and some men experience l ...more
Pearl
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christmas at Woolworths written by the very talented Elaine Everest for me is another fabulous read based on the lives of the girls and their families whose lives revolve around the very famous store of F.W. Woolworths in Erith, Kent. I love all the characters which fill the pages of this very entertaining book, yet it not only entertained it showed the many heart-wrenching moments which filled the Second World War. I mainly loved this book because the author showed the real value of neighbours ...more
Anthony
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elaine Everest (2017) CHRISTMAS AT WOOLWORTHS

London. Pan Book

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 out of 5 stars

The sleeve reads, “Best friends Sarah, Maisie and Freda are brought together by their jobs at Woolworths. With their loved ones away on the front line, their bonds of friendship strengthen each day. Betty Billington is the manager at Woolworths, and a rock for the girls, having given up on love . . . Until a mysterious stranger turns up one day – could he reignite a spark in BETTY? As the year draws to a close,
Mick Arnold
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I decided to take a couple of days off after finishing this book prior to writing out my review. I wanted to make certain that my first thoughts were, well, correct. They are, so here goes

This is a wonderful book and though I know I've started the series out of sequence (numpty that I am), I know that this will not be the first book from Ms Everest that I shall read.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't give out too much on plot points on my reviews. Judging by the amount of reviews here, I do
Ria
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though war is still raging Christmas is coming to Erith and the Woolies girls have had a heck of a year so far.
Sarah faces the prospect of Alan being deployed again for pilot duties while Freda is now a motorcycle messenger for the local fire service, Maisie has fallen pregnant and Betty has a mysterious stranger hanging around and following her around Woolworths but who is he?
We get to hear more of Ruby's daughter Pat down in Cornwall who has a lot of worries on her mind and we also get to meet
Denita
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another instalment in the lives of best friends Sarah Freda & Maisie who first met when they went to FW Woolworth & Co looking for employment just before WW2. These are enjoyable stories and one can't help but get caught up with these characters. Im looking forward to reading more about them in future books.
Kathryn Allison
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A very wholesome story about friendship. But very well done with a WWII backdrop. I started reading it without realizing it was the second book TN the series and it reads fine as a stand alone though I am sure if I read the first one I would have known the characters much better.

• A Nightingale Christmas Carol (Nightingales #8)
  • The Way to London: A Novel of World War II
  • Island of Wings
  • Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)
  • When Tides Turn (Waves of Freedom, #3)
  • Winter On The Mersey (Empire Street #4)
  • Winter Warmers
  • Christmas at Mistletoe Cottage (Hope Meadows, #2)
  • Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2)
  • Heartaches and Christmas Cakes (Wartime Bakery #1)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • Bluebirds
  • Christmas at The Little Duck Pond Cafe
  • Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True #2)
  • The Gatecrashers
  • Annie's Christmas by the Sea
  • The English Agent
  • Comfort and Joy (The Plumberry School of Comfort Food #5)

Woolworths (4 books)
  • The Woolworths Girls (Woolworths #1)
  • Wartime at Woolworths (Woolworths #3)
  • A Gift from Woolworths (Woolworths #4)