Start by marking “Scythe – Die Hüter des Todes (Arc of a Scythe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scythe – Die Hüter des Todes (Arc of a Scythe, #1)

Scythe – Die Hüter des Todes

(Arc of a Scythe #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  83,388 ratings  ·  15,259 reviews
Unsterblichkeit, Wohlstand, unendliches Wissen.
Die Menschheit hat die perfekte Welt erschaffen – aber diese Welt hat einen Preis.

Citra und Rowan leben in einer Welt, in der Armut, Kriege, Krankheit und Tod besiegt sind. Aber auch in dieser perfekten Welt müssen Menschen sterben, und die Entscheidung über Leben und Tod treffen die Scythe. Sie sind auserwäh
Published September 21st 2017 by FISCHER Sauerländer (first published November 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Scythe – Die Hüter des Todes, please sign up.
Vale You might want to try Unwind. It's the first book in a quartet and is dystopian as well. There is also a subtle romance but is still quite different…moreYou might want to try Unwind. It's the first book in a quartet and is dystopian as well. There is also a subtle romance but is still quite different from this book. (less)
Leah (Jane Speare) Im pretty sure they actually are related. I think Scythe is far in the future. In Unwind series the “cloud” is referred to as the “nimbus” which is…moreIm pretty sure they actually are related. I think Scythe is far in the future. In Unwind series the “cloud” is referred to as the “nimbus” which is what the Thunderhead was before it was itself....so that’s my theory...(less)

·  83,388 ratings  ·  15,259 reviews

Start your review of Scythe – Die Hüter des Todes (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
Emily May
I struggled with rating Scythe because I initially liked the concept. A post-mortality society sounded interesting, but I just can't overlook how boring it was. I'm someone who finishes the average YA book in a couple of days, and this one was a painful week-long process.

In this future world, natural death is a thing of the past. The Internet is an all-powerful sentient being called the Thunderhead and all knowledge has been acquired. There is nothing left to learn. People have nanites in thei
Emma Giordano
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
5/5 Stars!! One of my absolute favorite books I have read in a while. A MUST MUST MUST READ. I can’t even begin to string coherent words together for a review. I love everything about this novel.

Check out my video review!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d37f6...

TW: murder/death, suicide

The world of Scythe is fascinating. With so many advances due to technology and research, it becomes a plausible future for our society which is equal parts interesting and terrifying. This story poses a lot of thought-provoking c
Maggie Stiefvater
Pretty much a perfect teen adventure novel. In a conflict-free world where humans have conquered death, elected Scythes must cull the human population. Two teens find themselves volunteered as apprentice-Scythes, and discover that of all the things that Scythes can kill, corruption is not one of them.

1. Over the years, I've heard many books touted as the successor to Hunger Games, but SCYTHE is the first one that I would really, truly stand behind, as it offers teens a complementary reading exp
Chaima ✨ شيماء

dearly beloved… we are gathered here today to mourn the passing of my high expectations and also, the very last fuck I ever gave.

The worst thing about unrequited love is how much effort and time and money you pour into it; how much of your own self you can invest into this one entity that never shows you a sliver of gratitude or appreciation. You can be there through thick and thin, through the t
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-Read on Audio because the 2nd books comes soon =)

Here's the youtube video of the book. It's pretty awesome!

SCYTHE

I freaking love this book!

Citra and Rowen are two teenagers who get the pleasantry of meeting the honorable Scythe Faraday. No one wants to run into a scythe, much less talk to one or spend any kind of time with one. They have the ability to kill you if they see fit. ThatSCYTHE
I
Warda
“Have we ever had an enemy worse than ourselves?”

Reread! This book was genius. That is all.

——————————————

HOLY. SHIT.

I AM IN AWE. I AM IN LOVE.
I’m blown away by what I’ve just read.
I’m pretty sure I became high whilst reading it. And now, I’ve been left exhausted by all the excitement!

Hello to my favourite new author.

I'm going to try and review this. Possible verbal diarrhoea ahead.

This story was ridiculously clever. I was not expecting to enjoy it, since I h
Kai
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2018
( • . •)
/ > 📕Kelly, can u handle this?

( • . •)
/ > 📕Michelle, can u handle this?

( • . •)
/ > 📕 Beyoncé, can u handle this?

( •- •)
📕< \ I don’t think Kai can handle this

Update:

{\__/}
/>📕<\ Kai handled it.

and here is what he says:

Scythe was fun but not perfect. I enjoyed the dystopian world and the concept behind it: w/>
Charlotte May
THE HYPE IS REAL WITH THIS ONE GUYS!

“Humanity is innocent; humanity is guilty, and both states are undeniably true.”

This book got me through my 2 hour long delay at the airport on my way back from Turkey. I’d heard such good things, I had pretty high hopes, and I was not disappointed.

In a world where humans have conquered death, Scythes are chosen to glean which effectively means to methodically kill people, to ensure that the Earth’s population doesn’t overrun. All matters of/>
Sabaa Tahir
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect going into this book, and wanted to read it because 1. Neal Shusterman is an incredible writer and 2. Anything with a scythe on the cover has my interest.

This turned out to be a fascinating book that made me think much more deeply about death, but more importantly, about modern life and how the challenges we face in it are what make it worth living. Neal creates a truly original utopian world that looks great on the surface, but has a pretty nasty underbelly (like a
Nick
Sep 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The ratings are insane. Is it THAT good?
Matthew
This book was a very pleasant surprise! Since the YA library of fiction has become saturated with dystopian tales, it is often hard to find originality. Because of that, the stories quickly become boring because we have "been there, done that". That is not the case here!

Key pros:

- St. Louis is not the capital of Mis
Helen 2.0
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, scifi, 2016, own, faves
Spontaneous reread in anticipation of Thunderhead :) the thought process went a little like this -

Me: I should focus on my planned reads for this month and not get behind when we’re only 3 days into the new year!
Insidious inner voices: ssssssssssscythe!!!
Me: you make some really good points

—————————————————

Scythe defies all YA tropes and is incredibly quotable. What more can you ask for?

Exhibit A:
"I think all young women are cursed with a streak of unrelenting foolishness, and all young men are cursed with a streak of absolute stupidity."
"Welcome to life as a god," Scythe Volta said to him. While
ssssssssssscythe!!!
year!
Insidious
Christina - Traveling Sister
5, I am dead now and this review is my eulogy, never has a rating been easier stars!!!

Full review along with a recipe for my Mimi's chicken noodle soup on my blog Recipe & a Read!

Christina Loeffler (Jones) – Born: September, 21 1989. Died: November, 6 2018. Cause of Death: Scythe by Neal Shusterman.

Ok, ok, all jokes aside I’m obviously not dead because I still have to finish the second installment of this series! However, this book SLAYED me with it’s sheer magnificence and brilliance. The wo/>Full
jessica
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i honestly had no expectations for this book whatsoever, so i think its pretty safe to say that this was so much better than i thought it would be! and i can definitely understand the hype - the concept was just so fascinating. maybe its because i havent read a dystopian novel in quite some time, but i found this to be so interesting!

the writing was so nicely done, as well. it was quite crafty in a way - i felt like there were so many little cliffhangers throughout the book that i ha
❄️Nani❄️
Third time reading and still damn perfect. Minus the ‘romance’🤷♀ which was unnecessary to begin with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4.75⭐

This month has been nothing short of ‘surprise the shit outa’ Nani, month’ and I’m here here for it! Please, keep ‘em coming. The good ones that is; I don’t want to leave anything to chance.

People, this was cray!!!
And to think I looked down my nose at it for over a year. I could be such a pea-brain sometimes.

What I absolutely loved above all was the
C.G. Drews
So this book is basically just about murder. Exciting! All I want to do is say "MURDER, JOHN" like Sherlock wood, so imagine me doing that. Anyway! I had super high expectations for this because every blogger, bookworm, and semi-literate fish I know has raved over it. I also love Challenger Deep and Unwind a LOT, so I knew this was going to be excellent!

+ It's a dystopian with this perfect world where there is no death: so some people become scythes to keep the balance.
This is a very cool premise althoooough, we ha/>+
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I skip the auction part! Five gazillion stars! Sold!

This is deliciously mind blowing, entertaining, heart throbbing, visionary, intelligent, powerful and fantastic page-turner!

Can you hear the banging sounds? That’s me again! I’m so angry with myself to wait too long for reading this precious, amazingly yummy masterpiece at my tbr mountain( this is officially highest place on the earth. At the weekends I start to rent my tbr list to the climbers to exceed their records!)

Citra, powerful, strai
Robin (Bridge Four)
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Unwind, Black Mirrors
Kindle Daily Deal 20Oct19 $4.95 This was one of my favorite reads of 2016.

Reread with some BB&Bers

What if you could kill people and be Death himself.

description

What if cancer and all the worlds diseases were healed and our understanding of how to heal everybody was so great that you could pretty much save anyone from practically anythclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
What
Kimi
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Human: Did you hear that?
Me: Yeah, that was just the sound of my expectations shattering on the concrete after jumping from the tenth floor.

*Sighs*

Where do I even start?

Somebody please explain the hype to me because I honestly don’t get it. Usually when I dislike a popular book, I can at least see why other people might enjoy it. This time however, I do not see it.

Okay! Before anyone bites my head off, let me just explain everything I disliked about the book.

The writing style

"Rowan let out his
Human:
Evgnossia O'Hara
See this review on my BookTube channel here. It's in Greek but, I plan a lot of interesting things in English as well :)

Review was originally published on my Blog Through the Chapters

I’m in minority given the high ratings and the positives reviews on this book, but I want to be honest regarding my reading experience and the truth is that I struggled reading Shythe. The premise was interesting, but it was the only interesting part of the story. You might as well read the synopsis and mark the book as “read”.

So, it is a story about a uto
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
3.5

It seems to be a thing for me. I love the ideas of Neal Shusterman but I'm never sure I end up loving the books.
I'm not sure I will continue the series but if the premise intrigues you, give it a shot!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
UM WHAT.

THIS WAS SO GOOD. How did I wait so long to read it?

I'll post a full review at some point - but there's so many good ones out there already. For now, I'll just say that I don't normally like futuristic dystopians all that much (Marie Lu aside because she's an absolute queen) but omg I loved this one.

The hubs and I actually read it together on audio, and we laughed are way through it -and where shocked out of our chairs more than once.

Well done, Mr. Shusterman. W
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book could very easily be a standalone so i'm very curious to see where the next book will go!
Bibi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A world where natural death is obsolete thereby requiring a dedicated use of "Sycthes" (who are the only ones authorised to kill) and while most Scythes honour the process, there are a few bad apples who use their powers for evil.

And so the killing ensues. Mass killings, done in the name of upholding the law and on I read until, subconsciously, gradually, I found myself falling into a state of despair. It took a good 2 hours before realizing I didn't really need to read this book (why would an
Yusra  ✨
55783_C74_EC28_4_FB9_ADE1_6_A76_D20_F1_AF1
you can read this review and more on my blog!

Scythe was insane. I don’t think I’ve ever read something so dark and brutal and strangely addictive (that may just be because I don’t read horror). So if you’re like me and not a fan of horror movies/books, rest assured that this is definitely on the milder side.

That doesn’t mean it won’t be great for fans of the genre; it definitely has the entice and thrill.

I’ve been at a weird position practically since the start of 2018 where dystopians are so not me anymore. It wasblog!
amy ☂︎
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who crave a slow and painful death
Shelves: dnf
ok. so here's the deal.

i think my main problem with this book were the characters: citra and rowan are literally so bland, there's nothing remotely interesting about either of them. i'm just glad i didn't get to the romance part yet because JESUS CHRIST i don't know if i could've handled it.

also, the whole concept of the book might sound good but i feel like it was executed kinda badly?? some of the things are just way too far-fetched and unbelievable to me. i don't know. i liked th
Angelica
How dare this book mess with my fragile emotions!?!

I was so stressed while reading this book! UGH! This sequel is going to kill me and you are all invited to my funeral.

When I first picked up this book, I must admit, I didn't like it.

The premise was interesting and the writing was fine. I just didn't care for it. I read the first 90 or so pages and almost gave up. Then I decided to use one of my Audible credits and listening to the audiobook. I started it from the beginn
alana ♡
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi
Hello, Internet Police?
Yes, I would like to block and report myself for sleeping on this book for so long.

I am so mad at myself for not reading this book earlier. I mean, it's only been all over my Goodreads timeline since it was released in 2016! I'm sure you've all heard the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", well yeah, DON'T! Learn from my mistake because I was hit with instant regret the second I picked this up.

The world of Scythe is one of the most incredible, thought-provoking, anof
Umairah | Sereadipity
Plot: 4/5 Characters: 4/5 Writing: 4/5

Scythe was a rather unsettling book set in a dystopian world where all forms of death had almost been eradicated due to advancements in technology and society was controlled by a complex computer system called, 'Thunderhead'. To control population growth, there were Scythes tasked with 'gleaning' (which means killing) people as they saw fit to meet a certain quota. If someone died by, for example, jumping off of a high place, they could easily be revived again and carry on living. However,/>
may ❀
So this review is about 35 months late. Whose fault is that I wonder? 🤔

description
(s)

You know that moral compass that you thought was ingrained in your psyche and like pshhh, you can totally differentiate between right and wrong. Yeah, well, get ready to have that tested.

Scythe takes place in a synthetic, dystopi
YA Buddy Readers'...: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman - Restarting November 5th 2019 462 414 8 hours, 32 min ago
I’m lonely 5 41 Nov 16, 2019 12:45PM
Barnes and Noble ...: Discussion 2 1 Nov 15, 2019 06:05AM
M.E.B. Lib. N.H.-...: October 2019 - Scythe 12 7 Nov 10, 2019 04:19PM
Discord Book Club: "Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, book 1)" by Neal Shusterman 4 9 Nov 09, 2019 12:47AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Scythe [February 20, 2019] 45 58 Nov 05, 2019 03:00AM

• Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more

Arc of a Scythe (3 books)
  • Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
“My greatest wish for humanity is not for peace or comfort or joy. It is that we all still die a little inside every time we witness the death of another. For only the pain of empathy will keep us human. There’s no version of God that can help us if we ever lose that.” 192 likes
“Hope in the shadow of fear is the world's most powerful motivator.” 131 likes