Start by marking “Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter” as Want to Read:

Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter

To help out his sister, Scott moved to the small town of Montgomery, where there isn’t much to do and no one for him to date. Well, there’s one other openly gay man in town—Henry ‘Cole’ Porter, a widower who runs the school library, but after one drunken night together, Cole has kept his distance. Scott is used to that. He spends a lot of time working out, and from the ...more
Published April 30th 2017 by R. Cooper (first published June 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter, please sign up.
R. Probably not. But eventually I will put it on Smashwords. :)

Start your review of Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter
Kade Boehme
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was everything. I adored Scott so much. Bless him. Wish it was longer or that we would get to see them progress further than we did, but it was a quick, sweet read and it left me happy and smiley.
Shin Mon Thway
Too much dialogue and not enough romance for me.

2.5 that was a miss for me stars

Susan
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
This was quite awesome!!

The first half of this book was simply perfect. Definitely 5 star material. Except when I was expecting something to happen halfway… it never did. It continued in the same way, and that wasn’t what I was hoping for.

Scott is a 29 year old firefighter, who is really into health and exercising. He gets asked by the small town’s knitting club if the other openly gay man in town is dating someone. Scott is surprised they are asking him about widower Cole. Cole, who he had a
Tess

Just adorable! These guys felt real to me. I had a perfect image in my head of both: Scott the extremely fit, socially awkward Korean firefighter and Cole the older, stylish and a little bit bossy school librarian. I loved seeing an Asian MC (yet another under-represented group in M/M) and a bald MC (also under-represented!!). This was sweet, but not too sweet, and for a short story had a nice slow burn. Lots of yearning here. Very much recommended!

Be forewarned though that there are
Christelle
It’s a cute, sloooowww-burn romance in a small town full of gossipers between Scott, a kind firefighter taking care of his sister’s children and Cole, a bossy librarian and widower.
Very sweet and funny but Scott’s insecurities as well as the gossipers’ behavior felt too exaggerated for my taste and there were editing issues. Not bad in overall, but not enough to hold my interest and a bit lacking in the steam department.
Pixie
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't even try to decode my rating system. I like what I like. I found the dynamics between the two with the miscommunication lovely.
Gabi
I really liked the story but wasn't too fond of the writing style. Especially the beginning. It was one scene, which took up 30 or so pages, but all they did was stand in a grocery store and talk, except between the questions and answers, there was lots of internal monologue in an infodumpish way, but not exactly that. Dunno how to explain it. I needed a little to get into it. But after that it was much smoother.

Scottie is a jock and a fireman. He's all about the healthy lifestyle and
Ariana
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet story! I wasn't sure what to expect - the title and the cover did not exactly inspire me. But Scott's story involved me emotionally straight away, and my heart kept twinging at his self-deprecating behaviour and his lack of confidence when clearly, he is an incredibly able and likeable guy.

Love it when two such different characters (I have never come across an Asian MC before) find exactly what they need in each other. And they do, although it takes both of them quite a while to
Meep
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sugar-sweet
Really sweet adorable character, I loved Scotty - shy and insecure despite his good looks, abs, and friends.

The story was the light sweet (calorie -free) pick-me-up I needed today.
Wish I could give it all the stars!

But.

The knitting group were pure poison. Kept reminding me of the claustrophobic Wolf's Paw from Cooper's Beings series. Kathy went from someone you'd love to smack to a cartoon villain, that step too much to my mind.

And an oft repeated line threw me out of the story every single time
Chris
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet read. I loved the naïveté of Scotty thinking he wasn't good enough for Cole and I loved the vulnerability of Cole thinking he would never be good enough for Scotty. What a confusion of feelings !
Really enjoyable story
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Underwhelming and a little haphazard in terms of character interaction. Parts of the dialogue continually made me feel as if I were missing something.
M
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly to boot.

Throws ALL the shade towards the popular MM clique (that's my way of reading it & I'm sticking to it). Honestly, I wasn't loving it until the references to the racist, shallow president of the knitting club who only cares about her&her girls' happy really sank in

Then I had a blast.
Mymymble
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a perfect book: there's misogyny, racism, homophobia and sparkling, snappy Cole's shocking shoes.
But being inside Scott Yun's head is a wonderful, sweet and interesting place, full of yearning and humour but completely sidetracking self pity. One of those books that are really comfort blankies that last for ever.
River
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I was very curious about this book but it basically ended when the relationship started.
I just needed more interactions, I still don't get why they fell for each other, I needed to see more of their connection.
Naomi
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was was great.

Highly recommended.
Daniel
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Daniel by: Mymymble
Shelves: mm
So this was a weird mix. There were a number of things I didn't like, but it's also really funny, and on one level is taking a jab at the m/m genre and community. Overall, I'd say I really enjoyed it, though the negatives are going to keep me from giving it a 5 star rating.

What didn't really work for me:
- I didn't like Cole.
- I didn't like the power dynamic of their sexual relationship.
- The mutual X couldn't possibly like unworthy-me trope never fails to annoy.
- Everyone thinks Scott is dumb,
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By R. Cooper
Published June 2016
122 pages
Five stars

As one of R. Cooper’s big fans, I was interested to read a straightforward, small-town romance by her that didn’t involve magic or supernatural beings. What I discovered is that Cooper, denied the use of shimmering wings or werewolf courtship rituals, is a lovely romance writer. She is gentle, insistent, and creates stories with an exquisite sense of subtle detail—both physical and emotional.

Hottie Scotty is Scott
anna (readingpeaches)
rep: gay East-Asian mc, gay mc

don't ask me abt my reading choices, i don't understand them either. anyway, the thing is, it's actually well written?? and i would enjoy it if i could overlook the constant calling out of straight ladies here (they deserved it, for sure, don't get me wrong!) which just felt like,,,, the author giving herself a pat on the back??

or the 12 years age gap (i'm not a fan of those, can u tell?). or calling a guy 'femme'.

this is a pretty cool story tbh, it's just not one
Anke
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps 4.5 stars

I really liked this! It was a nice, easy read in between with a very fitting writing style. I think this is my favorite by this author!

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2.5 Stars***

The premise and bones of this story are good, but the writing style just isn't my cup of tea. It's very choppy and rambly. Folks talk around things a lot and there's lots of interruptions in conversation. Whether it's to interrupt someone to speak over them, or it's to ramble through some internal dialogue and go off on a tangent...whatever the reason, it was awkward and not a style I enjoyed reading.

Also, this ENTIRE BOOK is just miscommunication after miscommunication. This has
Eugenia
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
Super Sweet!

What a lovely novella! Scott was simply adorable in his way--lacking confidence and besotted with Cole.

Both MCs had communication issues, but it worked out sweetly in the end.

What I truly detested was the rude and bigoted interference by the knitting circle. It was horribly mean spirited and hard to swallow. Sure, they ended up being a catalyst for the two men getting together, but it's hard to believe such mean-spirited characters were included which demeaned and stereotyped both
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
I am, I think you will agree, of the Gradgrind school of reviewing ("Now, what I want is Facts... Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else."). I don't DO sentiment, I never simper, and I never say "Awww, that was a lovely book".

Well, hardly ever.

But HS&MP is very sweet, brilliantly written and extremely satisfying.

Fireman Scott - dismissed by most of his small town as little more than 5'9" of well-muscled eye candy - yearns inarticulately for the
Leanne
This is R Cooper at her best.
Beefy, insecure Scott, who is dumbstruck whenever bossy librarian, Cole, is near pines and fumbles his way endearingly and heartrendingly through the story, in this author's inimitable style. The angst and hand wringing is toned down a bit in this story, which moves along nicely from the unrequited stage to that delicious bit when Scott begins to see that it could be ..um....mutual?!!! Woot! :D
Funny, sweet, endearing...all the warm, fuzzy feelz.
Ticks all my boxes.

Dee Wy
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, m-m-contemporary
What a charming read with a librarian and a fireman with an age difference as well. Though it took me a little while to warm up to the characters, once I did it was lots of fun to watch these two come together and the ladies group get what they deserved for meddling.
Caz Malpas
4 - 4.5 SHORT AND VERY SWEET STARS!

A totally fabulous little read and if Scotty and Mr Porter had got their arses in gear sooner in the book it would of been a definite 5 star read for me.
miss_chams
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! But I so wanted Kathy to get her comeuppance, how has she gone this long without getting punched in the face?
Erika
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I absolutely loved everything about this utterly charming story. The half star is because it needed a bit more editing + I wish it was a bit longer.
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars. I liked this romance very much. It looked carefully at two very different men seeing their way to be together and in love. The conflicts are mainly internal but we do have a lot of blocking going on.

Scott is younger and shy. He is very good looking and thus people see him as shallow and not bright even though he is clearly kind and smart.

Cole is a widower and funny. He is older and more established and people think he is too smart for Scott.

However, Scott and Cole are very attuned. I
Alison
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-e-things, queer, lgbtq
Lovely. This is *so* R. Cooper--it's gentle and soft and a little bit whimsical and full of pining and has a good message. It's a really nice romance and thoroughly enjoyable. I liked this a lot.
Hollis Shiloh
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
R. Cooper's contemporary romances are almost always wins for me lately. Sweet, emotional, tender, and well-written, with deft characterization, endearing characters, and interesting dynamics. I did not expect that I would be reading a book where members of a knitting circle are basically villains. It worked, though! Slightly over the top but important message to not make gay people into objects, or think you can control them, or should try. "Anybody who'd really listened might have said sorry ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Hottie Scotty and Mr. Porter, by R. Cooper 1 9 Sep 05, 2016 07:01AM

• Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Mr. Right Now
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)
  • Tallowwood
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • Better Not Pout
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas
  • A Trilogy of Knights
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Looking for More
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Stand In Place
  • Team Phison (Team Phison, #1)
I'm a somewhat absentminded, often distracted, writer of queer romance. I'm probably most known for the Being(s) in Love series and the occasional story about witches or firefighters in love. Also known as, "Ah, yes, the one with the dragons."

Feel free to friend me on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.

Twitter: @rispacooper