Start by marking “The Whole30 Day by Day: Your Daily Guide to Whole30 Success” as Want to Read:
The Whole30 Day by Day: Your Daily Guide to Whole30 Success

The Whole30 Day by Day: Your Daily Guide to Whole30 Success

Tips, hacks, advice, and inspiration to help you achieve Whole30 success every day of the program

The Whole30 Day by Day is the essential companion to the New York Times bestseller The Whole30; a daily handbook to keep you motivated, inspired, accountable, and engaged during your Whole30 journey. It’s like having Whole30’s own Melissa Hartwig coaching you through the Whole
Published December 5th 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Whole30 Day by Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole30 Day by Day

Kate M
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I did not read everything in this book, as it’s a companion and journal to go along with changing your lifestyle and eating whole foods. I own the original Whole 30, and this contains the highlights. I read the Tips and Hacks to brush up on why I want to revisit my 30 days off added sugars and processed foods. I made it nearly 10 months last year and never felt better. Working late nights found me getting lazy and stopping for fast food on my way home- I know now not to do that agai ...more
Stephanie Cowart
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made my 4th Whole30 the best one yet. I loved all the tips and motivation and the accountability of journaling each day. Highly recommended if you are attempting a Whole30!
Brittanie
I've signed up for the Whole30 Daily emails each time I've done the program. I really like getting an email full of links to recipes and other motivational articles each day. When I started my most recent Whole30 in January I found out the emails are being retired — presumably because they want to sell you think book instead.

The book is structured more like a journal with space for you to write at the end of each day. I wish I had known that before buying the Kindle version. I should have known
Bonnie StPierre
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like having a daily coach

This was not my first Whole30. I have completed several. Having this day by day encouragement, tips and reminders was invaluable, and I sailed through the 30 days with no effort, plus committed to the reintroduction for the first time. Each 30 day reset is part of an individual journey towards Food Freedom, and I recommend this book as one of your tools towards that goal. It is like having your own daily coach.
Amber
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-health
I bought this to go along with my first Whole30 and think it really got me off to a good start. I used post it notes inside the journal entries so I could use it again in the future as well. I got a little lazy (aka really busy w/ life stuff) halfway through so my journaling dropped off a bit but I honestly think being accountable to my journal notes at the beginning is what helped me really get into things. The tips and hacks throughout were helpful or at least good reminders of things you alre ...more
Megan Gaston
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bought this in preparation for my 3rd round of W30 in January 2018 and I'm SO glad I did!! I journaled with my first two rounds as well, but nothing like this. This book provides structure, tips, advice, motivations, daily trackers for energy, sleep, cravings, NSVs, and a space at the end to track your re-intro plan and write overall reflections.

I think what I love the most about W30 is that following this program results in improvements in ALL areas of your life, not just diet. Reading and fil
Alyssa W
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help, nonfiction
Not as helpful as the other Whole30 books that I've read.

While it was nice to have a place to regularly keep track of how I was feeling, what I ate, and other aspects of my W30 round, I already have a bullet journal.

As a veteran W30er, the book didn't really present any information that was new to me. Even the encouragement and advice seemed very similar to Melissa's blog posts. At times, it was actually really discouraging because my round didn't exactly match the timeline in the book, so I w
Angela Pineda
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a bit biased because I’m a W30 guru who thinks Melissa Hartwig can do no wrong.

That said, I found this “book” (really more of journal with 2-3 pages to read each day) helpful - and I used it on my 5th round; so I’m sure if it was a 1st or 2nd it would have even more useful.

I appreciated the tips each day but really writing down what you ate, what you enjoyed, what NSVs (non-scale victories) you saw was extremely eye opening at the end of 30 days to see what all improved. As I’ve been doing
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super handy journal to help you on your Whole30. The daily sayings were slightly redundant to the other books, but I absolutely loved the focus every day on what went well, what could have gone better, tracking energy and sleep, and the food diary. For me, it was sooo helpful, and I would not have succeeded my Whole30 without this Day by Day! It truly is a handbook for how to set and achieve goals, and I will take what I’ve learned from it and apply elsewhere!

4/5 stars, because on 6-7 days, Meli
Amanda Simmons
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book, and it was definitely more interesting as it had journal components to it as well.

I felt like this section where the reader ticks off Non-Scale Victories should have been presented at the end of the book as opposed to the beginning, because that's when the reader will find the most items to be checked off, ultimately checking off the "I am Whole30" box.

I also had an issue with the box for Melissa's tips. Not only was the text presented on a diagonally-checked text box, but the
Cathy Klein
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked having this guide to read every day going through the Whole 30. I liked having an idea every day of what I may experience going through this nutritional reset.

I have to say that I did not necessarily have the same experience as the majority of people, but not only was it good for having an idea of how I would feel, but motivation to keep going. I also liked the daily journaling prompts. All of it was beneficial and helpful going through the Whole 30.

If I ever need to do the reset again,
Heather
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having done Whole30s in the past, I wish I had had this journal the first time I tried it. I checked this one out of the library to see if it was worth buying and the answer is resoundingly yes. The author (who co-authored The Whole30) is clear that it’s a companion guide to the original book, but the insights to normal reactions to diet changes day by day alone is worth the price of the second book. Even if you only use online menu plans, this journal and the free resources would be enough to g ...more
Bobby Jenkins
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An absolute must have on your Whole30 journey. It was what I was missing on round one of completing this program and it was a welcomed addition to round 2.

Additionally, if you are like me and are planning on doing this solo (in absence of others within your house jumping in) - then you NEED THIS! Keeps you remembering that all those feelings your body happens to be communicating.... yeah... those.... others have felt it.
Sydney Major
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this as I completed my Whole 30 and as someone who likes to make notes and write down details, this was the perfect companion. Plus I really like being able to look back and read how I was feeling on Day 5 vs. how I felt when I was on Day 25. Obviously it isn’t necessary to have this book if you are doing a Whole 30, but I thought it enhanced my experience and most of the encouragement or ‘this is probably how you are feeling’ blurbs felt very accurate!
Amy
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
My biggest disappointment is that this is a one-time use book. For one round of Whole30 journaling only.

Little snipets of wisdom and tough love. Highlights from the original Whole30 book so nothing super new if you have read Melissa Hartwig's other books. Still a really nice companion to a Whole30. I loves me some journaling! Especially food journaling. :)
Michelle Hoelscher
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my second round of whole30 and using this tool with tips, hacks, encouragement & journaling accountability truly made this time easier. There were a few days I thought “How is it possible that Melissa IN MY HEAD like this?” She predicts with uncanny accuracy your feelings and thoughts throughout the program. It helps to know that you’re on track even when you’re having doubts.
Alissa
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I can see why this journal would be helpful to some. It was great to take time each day to reflect. That being said, my whole30 did not follow the typical whole30 track so I didn't feel like I related to this journal. It also was verbatim what was written in the whole30 book, so there wasn't any added information.
Steph Murray
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s 5 stars if you’ve never done Whole30 before. It is 2 stars if you have done Whole30 before and are comfortable with the program. I love a journal and a new place to write things down, but I found I wasn’t really using it as it was repetitive to stuff that I already knew and was comfortable with. Would have loved it from my very first time of doing Whole30 though.
Stacy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are a few good tips and tricks, but ultimately, it's not for me. I would rather focus on a balanced relationship with food, rather than eating weird combinations or cutting out entire groups of food. The whole 30 sent me into an upsetting tailspin and I realized it wasn't a healthy view of food for me.
Karen Anderson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nutrition
This little companion journal was super helpful while navigating my first Whole30 journey. It was funny at times and brutally honest when it needed to be. My husband and I have started our second Whole30 and having fun looking at our entries from last year. I highly recommend this book for everyone considering the Whole30 program.
Amy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great addition to the toolkit to help with Whole30 resets. While I may not have fully engaged with this every day in January, it was very helpful. And I know that I will be returning to this again when I do another reset.
Whitney
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me so much through my Whole30! I was able to track my progress in a tangible way. It was really helpful and encouraging to use this resource during the thirty days. I’ll definitely use it again next time I do a round!
Lezlie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book/ journal has a lot of the same information and motivational talks from Melissa Hartwigs’ books and social media posts. I checked it out from the library, so I didn’t use the journal aspect. I did enjoy having 3 pages to read during my Whole30!
Kimberly
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great addition to your Whole30 library. It is full of helpful advice and guidelines to create a successful Whole30.
Kristina Burke
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Really helped keep me on track and motivated during the whole 30 and reintro.
Kate
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource for support while doing a Whole30.
Gina
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book my made my Whole30 much easier. It was like having a coach keeping me motivated and on track. I would recommend this book as an add on to anyone doing the Whole30.
Carrie Niehaus
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part daily guide through the program, part journal, this book is great for keeping on track during the Whole30! An extremely helpful companion to a first Whole30!!
Kelly
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful tag-along book for the Whole30 journey
jacque brady
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So helpful

Helped me understand and guided me through my first Whole 30. Using it again for Round II. Thank you Melissa!
  • Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever
  • Genesis
  • Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul-Shaping The New You
  • Turn Your Dreams And Wants Into Achievable SMART Goals!
  • 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan
  • The Emotional Eating Rescue Plan for Smart, Busy Women: Make Peace with Food, Live the Life You Hunger For
  • The Chemistry of Calm: A Powerful, Drug-Free Plan to Quiet Your Fears and Overcome Your Anxiety
  • How To Stick To A Diet: The Ultimate Guide To Hacking Your Brain For Unstoppable Motivation And Lifelong Diet Success
  • One Pan & Done: Hassle-Free Meals from the Oven to Your Table
  • Adland: Searching for the Meaning of Life on a Branded Planet
  • On the Old Testament
  • Hungry for Change: Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health
  • The Psychologist's Book Of Self-Tests: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests Developed By Professionals to Reveal the Real You
  • On Love: Lysis/Symposium/Phaedrus/Alcibiades/Selections from Republic & Laws
  • Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, the Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons
  • Rockers and Rollers: An Automotive Autobiography
  • The Skinnygirl Rules: For Getting and Staying Naturally Thin
Melissa Hartwig is a Certified Sports Nutritionist who specializes in helping people change their relationship with food and create life-long, healthy habits. She is the co-creator of the Whole30 program, the New York Times bestselling co-author of The Whole30 and It Starts With Food, and the author of Food Freeedom Forever and The Whole30 Cookbook.

Melissa has been featured by Dr. Oz, The Today S