Start by marking “Clash of Empires (Clash of Empires #1)” as Want to Read:
Clash of Empires (Clash of Empires #1)

Clash of Empires

(Clash of Empires #1)

WHEN A NEW EMPIRE RISES, AN OLD ONE MUST FALL.

After sixteen years of bloody war against Rome, Hannibal Barca is on the verge of defeat. On the plains of Zama, Felix and his brother Antonius stand in the formidable Roman legions, ready to deliver the decisive blow. Victory will establish Rome as the pre-eminent power in the ancient world.

But in northern Greece, Philip V of
Published May 17th 2018 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Clash of Empires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clash of Empires

Shirley Revill
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read a book by this author and it certainly won't be the last.
I have never read a book covering this era in history and it was brilliantly written and researched.
Would give ten stars if I could. Very highly recommended.
Kate
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thrilling and action-packed novel which takes a look at the conflict between the Republic of Rome and Macedon and Greece. This is the final struggle between those two great powers of ancient Europe - Greece and Rome - and it is bloody, with disasters and very few triumphs on both sides. We follow soldiers on both sides and what a life they led.... the brutality is horrifying. I always love Ben Kane's books and it's great to welcome the start of a new series. Review to follow shortly on For Win ...more
Roy
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty good action packed novel based on the greek and romans at war. Multiple character arcs from both sides, both from the war/fighting perspective as well as the political pov. The action scenes were alot of fun, and quite graphic. I think the overall plotting was a little too character driven. There were alot of characters to follow and it jumped from one scene to the next too quickly for my liking. I guess this could be a part of a trilogy.
Robin Carter
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review

Series five begins for Ben Kane with Clash of Empires, two empires butting up against one another, one a shadow of its once greatness but still with sharp teeth, and the other an Empire on the rise, growing, determined and ravenous for conquest.

LInk to full review: https://parmenionbooks.wordpress.com/...

Alan
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
So pleased to have won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

It's not usually a book that I would normally read, but was surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. It certainly makes a change to read something different and based upon this book, I shall be looking out for more books by this author. Recommended.
Adam Lofthouse
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Ben's books, and have devoured them all since I first discovered The Forgotten Legion many years ago. This, I think, is one of his best.

As always, the story is told from all angles. From Flamininus in Rome, trying to bribe his way to make himself consul of Rome. He is hungry for power, yearns to be the man that finally gets to destroy Phillip of Macedon. Phillip himself is well portrayed, a ruthless leader that will stop at nothing to protect his country.

My favourite characters though,
Mr Samuel A Thornton-James
Nothing on scarrow

Was a struggle at times with too many characters hard to like and no ending to seemingly random story lines.

Ian Jones
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a Roman history anorak, which means that for years I avoided Roman historical fiction. About five years ago I did read a novel about legionaries on Hadrian’s Wall but I wasn’t minded to read the sequel, or any other novels by that particular writer. Then I discovered Ben Kane and was pleasantly surprised….I’ve now read most of his books, except the Spartacus series, which I will get around to later this year.
I’d recommend this book to anyone who’s into Roman history, or wants to get into Ro
Richard West
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's no doubt about it - when it comes to Roman military history, Ben Kane is the undisputed master and this is another in a line of meticulously researched novels set during the days of the Roman Empire. Usually, we find the Roman armies battling barbarians somewhere,but this time around, the enemy is much more civilized.

On one hand, you have Philip of Macedonia trying to recapture lands in Greece he feels are rightly his, while on the other you have less than likeable Roman military command
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book is the 1st volume of the "Clash of Empires" series from the author Ben Kane.
The historical details, which you can find at the end of the book in the Author's Note, concerning this wonderful story are very well researched and documented, and these details are superbly implemented within this great historical tale, and besides that there's also a well explained Glossary.
At the beginning of the book you'll notice two well-drawn maps of the Kingdom of Macedon and of Asia Minor an
Helen
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-won
I won an advanced uncorrected proof copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. As I read the uncorrected proof I cannot quote from the book directly or comment on the typos that I found but due to a mix up my book only arrived a fortnight before the actual release date and because of other commitments I could not finish it in time to pass on my comments prior to publication on the 17th May 2018.

I liked that not only did it cover viewpoints from both sides of the clashing empires, but also looke
Simon
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kane Is More Than Able!

This was my first time with a Ben Kane novel and I guarantee it won't be my last! This looks set to be a series that will be genuinely epic in nature and scope. The multiple viewpoints cover life at both the top and bottom of both sides in this clash of Ancient powers. A steadfast king faces off against a hugely ambitious Roman politician with both desperate to win at all costs. At the other end of the scale a Macedonian rower dreams of becoming a spearman while two Roman
Jeff Jones
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is without doubt Ben Kane's best book to date and he'd already written some good ones!

Set around 200BC and shortly after the defeat of Hannibal of Carthage at Zama, this book recounts some of the battles fought between Macedonia and some of its neighbouring states, as Philip, Macedon's king, tried to recreate the Macedonian Empire imagining himself as the new Alexander.

As the rising superpower in the Mediterranean it was probably inevitable that Rome would eventually become involved especi
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
This is an action packed, thrilling historical novel that truly immerses you in the the story. As an archaeology student, I love history and the Roman era is one of my favourites – despite how absolutely brutal they were! This novel is throughly researched and is extremely well written.

Being told from two sides, that of the Romans and the Macedonian King Philip V, you experience both sides of the battles and the reasoning behind them. But we also meet some of the soldiers who play a major role i
Jo-anne Atkinson
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the plains of Zama, Hannibal of Carthage is finally defeated by the Roman legions. Precipe Felix kills an elephant during the fight but triumph does not last long and after an error Felix and his brother are dismissed from the army. In Rome Flaminius is looking for power and a defeat to get into the Senate does not stop him - he has his eyes on the conquest of the Hellenic region. Philip of Macedon is running amok over the eastern mediterranean, his troops gaining cities and territory. Lowly ...more
John Hannan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the storylines were better than others, but I liked how there were several character arcs occurring at once. I'm no expert on ancient Rome, but my main takeaway from reading this is that Ben Kane probably is. The world felt very authentic. I listened to this as an audiobook, and I really appreciated the reader's voice - he brought the characters to life with different accents and voices. My few gripes with the book are, firstly, that there was almost a complete absence of female characte ...more
GBL
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Theodore Brun
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ben Kane is well established as a master of his genre. From this book, you can easily see why. Everything about the book speaks precision: the characterisation, the setting, the cultural and military detail, the description, the dialogue, the action. It’s all perfectly weighted in a story which is genuinely gripping because one knows what is at stake. The destiny of the world, no less. So it proved. Kane carries you through it all with a deft touch. Bouncing between the different POV characters ...more
Stephen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Im a huge Ben Kane fan, so this book i have been waiting on for months and months and months...it was certainly worth the wait though.
Clash of empires is a brilliant, well written story about the romans and the old greek macedonians and how they came to be one. In this book there are many many battles but neither side is the conclusive victor and it has left me as a reader in suspense and antisipation for the next in the series.
Ben has a brilliant way of transporting you back in time and making
Troy Jeffers
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely outstanding book. It at first started a little slow. I wondered where it was going and how all the characters were going to tie in. It progressed quickly after that to where I could hardly put it down. The detail and descriptions are mesmerizing and it can make your heart race like you are really there. I really felt drawn to the Greek characters even knowing how the war ends. The author does a great job of allowing you to root for who you want without slanting you too much ...more
Claire Fraser
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gripping read and one through which I learned about the brutality of life in in both the Roman and Macedonian armies. By cleverly having main characters on both armies the author allows you to make up your own mind which, if either, side you wish to support. Both have leaders who are utterly ruthless in their own way but you are made aware of their human frailties. If you are at all interested in this period it makes a great read. However if you do not like strong language this is ...more
Caroline Venables
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great read. You can tell how much research has been done to produce such a detail rich book. This is supplemented by maps at the start of the book and a glossary at the back. There is also the authors note which go into historical detail.

The story follows different points of view from the Roman army and the Greek army and shows the knowledge behind decisions taken during the battle.

The authors shows how harsh war is, the punishment that the soldiers faced and the conditions they faced. A
Daniel Kelly
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cracking read

With clash of empires Ben Kane shows us exactly why we keep coming back to read his work. His research is amazing, with an awe inspiring glossary requiring a dozen pages just to clarify the multiple countries heritage he required for this book covering pieces from carthage Greece and of course Rome. He doesn't try to create a good guy v's bad guy scenarios, mearly creating people trying to survive in the world they have been thrust into. If I could write half as well I would be a ve
Chris F
For me this is one of Ben Kane's best books so far. It really feels like he has got the brutal reality of the lives of the Greek and Roman soldiers whose stories he tells right. The considerable amount of violence it contains will not be to everyone's taste, but for me that and the soldiers swearing makes it more realistic. Life in the ancient world was often 'nasty, brutish and short' and the language of soldiers is often colourful at anytime in history.
Hector Miller
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written book offers enjoyable read. - 3.75 rounded to 4

My knowledge of the Roman / Macedonian wars are limited and it was good to read about this less written part of history. Like always, it has the feel of a well researched novel.

On the negative side, the story did not grip me enough to force me to finish quickly.

Neil
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Ben Kane so I had high hopes for this book. Whilst it didn't hit the heights of the Forgotton Legion I still loved it. The book centres around 4 main characters and all are given plenty of exposure. The way Ben is able to draw you in to the world with the detail he provides is great. It almost feels like you're there. I'll definitely be reading the next one at some point.
Ruth Harwood
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do love a good Politics, Battle and Tactical novel, and Kane never disappoints. Well-written and full of intrigue, success and failure, this is definitely worth reading, a typical novel along the vein of sidebottom and Iggulden as well as many of Kane's own, there's much to recommend in this latest series from this well-known and successful author.
John Francis
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome start.

Simply a great read. Book 1 of a new trilogy and I'm already impatient for the other 2. Clash of empires is non stop action pretty much from start to finish. The characters are almost real and I know I'm going to be sad when some or all of them get killed. 10 out of 10 or 5 stars, whichever you prefer.
John Warren
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
another great read by Ben Kane, I loved the subject matter of this book Iam big fan of both Roman and Greek ancient battles. Mr Kane does an excellent job in describing the battle scenes and the switching back and forth from Roman to Greek prospective in the story was awesome.
Simon Williams
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I know when I've enjoyed a book when I swipe the page to find I've reached the end and think nnnooooo (there's no hiding where you are with a physical book, but it's easy to lose track electronically!!!).

Bring on the next instalment please Ben.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Great King (Long War, #4)
  • Enemy of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #5)
  • Wings of the Storm (The Rise of Sigurd, #3)
  • Gods & Emperors (Legionary, #5)
  • Goat Song
  • Rome's Sacred Flame (Vespasian, #8)
  • Rome: An Empire's Story
  • The Lion at Bay (Kingdom #2)
  • The Water Thief (Aelius Spartianus, #1)
  • Battle for Rome (Twilight of Empire, #3)
  • The Legate's Daughter
Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family.

Clash of Empires (2 books)
  • The Falling Sword (Clash of Empires #2)