Start by marking “A Refuge Assured” as Want to Read:
A Refuge Assured

A Refuge Assured

Vivienne Rivard fled revolutionary France and seeks a new life for herself and a boy in her care, who some say is the Dauphin. But America is far from safe, as militiaman Liam Delaney knows. He proudly served in the American Revolution but is less sure of his role in the Whiskey Rebellion. Drawn together, will Liam and Vivienne find the peace they long for?
Published February 6th 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Refuge Assured, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Refuge Assured

Start your review of A Refuge Assured
Jocelyn Green
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
And when I say I have "read" this book... I can't even tell you how many times I've read it. About eighty-five (it feels like), making lots of changes every time. Just one more pass through the galleys though, and then it's out of my hands!
Deanne Patterson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Based on Jocelyn Green writing my favorite Civil War series I knew I was in for a treat reading this and believe me it did not disappoint. The author writes novels steeped in historical detail so well you will believe you are there with the characters experiencing it, from the descriptions to the sights,sounds,smells and even the characters thoughts.
The book starts out in late 1700s Paris, France and gives readers a feel of the French Revolution and sets us up with the main character's
Beth
A Refuge Assured is hands down one of my favorite reads of the year so far. I loved every element of this story. The characters are endearing and distinct, the plot moves at a perfect pace, and the historical details just make everything come to life.

Vivienne has already been through so much heartache when she arrives in Philadelphia from Paris. I loved getting a glimpse of her life in Paris, as it really set the stage for what was to come, as well as helping the reader to understand what
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

Lacemaker Vivienne Rivard never imagined her craft could threaten her life. Yet in revolutionary France, it is a death sentence when the nobility, and those associated with them, are forced to the guillotine. Vivienne flees to Philadelphia but finds the same dangers lurking in the French Quarter, as revolutionary sympathizers threaten the life of a young boy left in her care, who some suspect to be the Dauphin. Can the French settlement, Azilum, offer permanent refuge?
Loraine
There were so many things that I loved about this book. First, I loved that each part was introduced by a quote that was apropos to that part. Second, the historical detail regarding the French Revolution and the French emigration to the United States was incredible, and I learned so much about a period of history that wasn't familiar to me. The differences between those in power in the US who were anti-French and those who were Francophiles. The attitudes of some people in power like Alexander ...more
Sarah Grace Grzy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ for mature themes\violence
I'm pretty sure that met all my high expectations. And exceeded them in some ways. This book was just so beautiful, and I will definitely be reading more by this talented author!

The characters. Just wow! The MCs, Vivienne and Liam, both had such depth, and were such real, relatable characters. I loved Vienne's willingness to serve others and provide for herself and others, yet it wasn't in a feministic way. And Liam . . . he was such a gentleman, and his struggles with rightwrong in regards to
Staci
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
A Refuge Assured is full of historical detail. The beginning of the novel is set in late 1700s Paris, France providing readers with the feel of the French Revolution and background for main character Vivienne Rivard. The majority of the novel, however, takes place in Philadelphia.

While Vivienne is the main focus, there is another compelling story line as well. To share more about that would be a spoiler.

I close the novel feeling I've visited both Paris and Philadelphia during such a tumultuous
Maureen Timerman
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
From France to Pennsylvania your life is in danger because you make lace? This is brought about because of a frenzy of people who hate the monarchy, and will go to extremes to get rid of all chances that it will return to power, killing young children, and innocents.
With a heavy heart the author has brought our lacemaker Vivienne Rivard actually running for her life, and puts in her path a young mother and child that will forever change her, and a hurt American Revolutionary, and Irishman, Liam
Emilee
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a ride! This book has a lot of political history. The author really brought it to life. The characters are all very well done. Liam is an amazing hero. This is not a fast read but its worth it. I love how the epilogue wrapped up the story. ...more
Hannah
A lusciously detailed story of a young woman who escapes the French Revolution by the skin of her teeth and finds herself in many more challenges fitting into her new life in America than she had dreamed of facing. Most of the stories I have read about Revolutionary survivors have them going to England or Holland or Italy. Going to America is a nearly-new one for me...this is only the second one Ive read. Combine Viviennes experiences with Liam and the Whiskey Rebellion, and theres yet more to ...more
Susie Finkbeiner
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jocelyn Green's superpower is taking a piece of history, researching every angle of it, and crafting a story set in that era so expertly that her readers feel that they've been placed right in the midst of the character's lives. Green has accomplished this in each of her novels. However, if required to pick my favorite of her books I wouldn't hesitate. It's A Refuge Assured.

With breathtakingly beautiful prose, well rounded and fully realized characters, and a plot with enough intrigue to keep
Dawn
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! I loved watching Vivienne grow from the lacemaker to the queen into the independent American woman she became. I found this period of history rather fascinating. I don't read a lot of early American (Post-Revolution), so this particular period was rather new to me. I enjoyed it.

I received a copy from Bethany House to review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

Lori
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical fiction! Loved the setting, characters, and especially the rich historical details!
Sarah Sundin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Refuge Assured shines a light on a tumultuous time in American history as the new nation tried to decide what it would stand for. Jocelyn Green spins an enthralling story built on impeccable research, with fascinating characters. Historical fiction at its finest!
Victoria Lynn
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

My rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

My Review:
Wow. This book was intense! It took me a bit to read as I had a lot of things going on and this book was long by todays standards for sure.

Before I even get to the actual story itself though, THE COVER. It is probably one of the most beautiful covers I have seen in a long time. It is matte and gorgeous and even more beautiful than its online image when you have it in person. And then theres the interior formatting. The lace decorating even the inside made
Heidi Chiavaroli
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and beautifully told story about a part of history I was unfamiliar with. I loved the way Jocelyn cut out the characters' stories from the pages of history and I absolutely felt for them in their hardships. I also appreciated the author's honest exploration of freedom versus the need for order, both on an individual level and for that of one's country. So well-researched, so well done!
Lydia Howe
Why I Choose This Book:

A few years ago I got pulled into the beauty of Miss Jocelyn's fantastically built historical settings and I've felt the same draw ever since. The stories aren't always my favorite, but the way she makes history come alive? I've been blown away by her writing time and time again.

What I Thought:

When I was twelve or so I read a book that took place during the French Revolution and was completely horrified. Like, crying for days and being unlike myself for a couple of
Maddy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a delightful read this was! This is a beautiful historical book and one I definitely recommend reading.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The characters, setting, and the plot all fit so well together. I absolutely loved this authors writing style and the way she describes everything. This is definitely a new favorite for me.

I have to say that one of my favorite parts of this book is the plot. It was so delightful! With the French people, war, lacemakers, noble heirs, I was drawn into
Katie
I have been eagerly looking forward to reading this book. The combination of the French Revolution with the struggles of the early American government captured my attention and A Refuge Assured delivers and exceeds my expectations.
The book is filled with historical detail, but it's never overwhelming. The plot is quick paced and interesting, and the characters will linger after the last page is closed.
I enjoyed every word of this book and eagerly await her next one!

I was provided a copy of
Ruth
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jocelyn Green's A Refuge Assured is an exquisite blend of colonial history, wherein the birth pangs of a newly established United States intersect with the bloody reach of the French Revolution. Here Green invites readers to question rightness of revolution and the tension between the rule of law and oppression, and to consider anew the cost of conflict when innocents on either side of a conflict are caught in the crossfire.

Lacemaker Vivienne Rivard flees Paris and its painful memories of
Gracelyn Buckner
4 Stars

This was really good! Not a time period I read about a lot, but really good! I was reallye excited to read it, since its my first book from Bethany House Blogger Review program.

~wonderfuls~

the characters

I really liked how Ms. Green had most of the main characters' perpectives throughout the book. Each of the characters had well-developed personalities. Henri was so sweet!

the romance

The romance in A Refuge Assured wasn't necessarily everywhere, which I liked. There were touches of
Clara
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
He fought for revolution. She was outcasted because of revolution. Can they still find common ground?

"Law and liberty. Order and freedom. It was all a tangled mess".
A deluge. That's a perfect word to describe this book.
The fight for liberty is for equality, freedom, justice. Or isn't it? If we stop and look at the costs can this truly be what was fought for?

Vivienne Rivard and Liam Delaney were on different sides of revolutions oceans apart. Who would dream the influence one would have on the
Susan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hauntingly beautiful! Jocelyn Green delivers another riveting story with the skill of a master craftsman. She masterfully weaves the story of refugees from the French Revolution seeking asylum in Pennsylvania, as our young country struggles in its' infancy with such controversial events as the Whiskey Rebellion.
While there is much historical detail, it never overshadowed the story. The author artistically pens images of early American life with words that appeals to all of the senses. I found
Bhriv
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Refuge Assured, written by Jocelyn Green, is another lovely read by this author. From the lace being made in France to the lace being made in a small refuge in Pensylvania, we are taken on a journey of words at the ends of our fingertips as each page turns to see, hear, and experience the trauma of the French Revolution that didn't cease when these French escaped to America. We also felt the deep relationships that were built, crushed, wished for, and sometimes saw them successful in not just ...more
writer...
Excellent historical novel of French Revolution and the aftermath for those such as Vivienne who were in trade for the benefit of the aristocrats. Unique insights and outcomes both of their lives in France and the transition to arrival in America. All is not smooth sailing!

#BIGBookSummer 2018 #ParisinJuly2018 #alphabethon "R"
Beth Erin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish

The French Revolution... As much as I love learning new things through fiction, some of the historical events included in this story are simply shocking. How do people (even revolutionaries) justify things like guillotines?!!

Fortunately, Vivienne Rivard makes her way out of France before she is sentenced for her "crime" of lace making. Vivienne is a strong, brave, and independent heroine. Her work ethic, determination, compassion, and authentic faith propel her
Riveting and fascinating, I couldnt put this down. I really enjoyed the historical setting of this story. The America during the Whiskey Rebellion and the plight of the French emigrés during Frances own revolution were brought to life in this book. This wasnt light reading by any means, but it was gritty and compelling.

I admired the MCs. The hard choices that both of them had to make clearly illustrated how grey areas abound in real life, no matter the time period. The MCs encouraged me to
Andrea
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow.
I'm a regular person that reads, then reviews from her gut reaction to books.
A Refuge Assured leaves me searching for the right words to describe just how good it is.
For starters, the history I learned from this book was just amazing. Yes, I learned a little bit about it in school ages ago but it was glossed over. In this book, I felt as if I was there watching it all play out. I did not know being a lacemaker was cause to lose your head during the French Revolution.
To see how
Heather Gilbert
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
It's no coincidence this richly-detailed historical novel has mostly (if not all) five star reviews. As I read, I sat in wonder at how the author so deftly wove in elements of suspense, faith, and romance. I learned so much about the French Revolution and the Whiskey Rebellion with this novel, and it gave me a fresh view of characters like Alexander Hamilton. I liked the plucky main character Vivienne (something about her was so very French!) and I appreciated Liam Delaney's drive to have land ...more
Rachael
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly phenomenal, heart wrenching, and so well done! I tried to read this one slowly...to absorb everything that was written on the pages. Such a terrific story with loveable characters, an unusual setting, and ( my favorite part) a lot of obscure history! This book contains so much about the French Revolution and the French themselves. It also contains fascinating facts about the Whiskey Rebellion.

The best way I could describe this book is SO FULL! Good reads to me are always the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Synopsis in Spanish // Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Jul 25, 2017 12:26PM

• The Lacemaker
  • Keturah (The Sugar Baron's Daughters, #1)
  • A Rumored Fortune
  • A Rebel Heart (Daughtry House #1)
  • A Bound Heart
  • A Moonbow Night
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Heart's Appeal (London Beginnings, #2)
  • A Daring Venture (Empire State, #2)
  • Together Forever (Orphan Train, #2)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • Courting Morrow Little
  • The Hope of Azure Springs
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)