Start by marking “The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation

The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation

“Thursday morning.

One hundred pounds overweight, no man in sight, and rounding the bend to 57 years old—a full-blown catastrophe.”

What happens when you realize you’ve had the career of your dreams, but you don’t have the life of your dreams? This was the stark reality facing Sheri Salata when she left her twenty-year stint at The Oprah Winfrey Show, Harpo Studios and the O
Published June 4th 2019 by Harper Wave

Start your review of The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation
Rachel
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. I really wanted to love this book but it was not great. To be honest, it was hard to get behind someone who wants to transform her life and has every possible advantage and privilege to do so.
JSter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written/spoken/organized. Shit got real in there a couple of times and my heart got squished, but for the most part the book felt superficial. She gave a bullet-point version of all the things she wanted to change during her week of reckoning (wow, she got that covered in just a week?!). But I wanted to hear more. Why was/is she overweight? What was really eating her? What really went down in her relationships? What was going on with all that wine? Was that an issue for her? She made one ti ...more
Ali Amagasu
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would probably cut off four or five fingers to have had Sheri Salata’s career. I think we all look at someone like her and say “Wow—she nailed it.” But it turns out she doesn’t necessarily see it that way. It turns out even someone like Sheri has all kinds of unrealized dreams and places where her life has felt unbalanced. This book is about her journey to a more well-rounded type of success: one that includes taking care of her health, finding true love, nurturing her spiritual side, becoming ...more
Donna Jean Gray
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sheri Salata has been a true inspiration to me enter since her Oprah show days. But when I stumbled upon her podcast about reinventing oneself in midlife, I felt like I'd found a sister in spirit. This book, The Beautiful No, does not disappoint. It's full of inspirational bits of wisdom woven into stories of her loving family, amazing friendships and enviable career. You will find yourself saying YES! as Sheri brings us along on her mighty dreamquest reminding us that midlife isn't the beginnin ...more
Kate Mcphail
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Ela
Loved this book! It came to me at a great time--just when I needed it. This is great for anyone trying to rewrite the second half of their life--or any time in their life really. Sheri Salata shares her journey to creating the life of her dreams in an honest, vulnerable, and genuine way. She shares her trials and errors and successes. Love her writing style--it's friendly, funny, and relatable.
K.J. Dell'Antonia
Ok. Here’s the thing. When someone tells you they are consulting a pet psychic, there are pretty much three available takes:

1. Total rejection.
2. Bemusement. A willingness to be open to the idea, especially if presented with some humour and self-doubt, and to take something from the experience or conversation.
3. All IN.

This book is soundly for those in category 3.
I am 2.
So, not for me.
Kathleen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recently, I attended a presentation about this book, and another woman said to me upon leaving, "That wasn't for me." I agree. Although I applaud anyone making positive life choices, doing whatever one needs to do to get healthy, Salata's transformation in her mid fifties was paved by her wealth and connections. While she had many of the same challenges facing women across time, I could not let go (because she referenced it so often) of her big life with Oprah, famous people whom she met, etc. I ...more
Kathleen
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it and plan to listen again. I felt like I was having a best friend conversation with the laugher, seriousness, and tears. There’s a lot of gems there to be mined from her experiences with failure, ordinariness, and enormous success too. I just love her.
Lori Helke
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan (Dreamtriber) of The Sheri And Nancy Show podcast and was so anxious to read co host Sheri Salata's first book.

I just knew that if she approached writing this book with the same honesty and humor she does on the podcast, that I would throughly enjoy this book.

And yes, I loved The Beautiful No.

Just because you have one of the most coveted jobs in the world, surrounded by not only one of the most powerful women of our time, Oprah, but she had access to a revolving door of the worl
Angie Thompson
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Listen, this may be a bold statement, but if we could collapse time and recognize the beauty in a no right when it arrives, no matter how disappointed we might feel, I think we would have mastered something fundamentally important about living happily ever after".
-Sheri Salata, THE BEAUTIFUL NO

This is the first book I've read cover to cover in one sitting in a very long time. It felt like a long, deep into the night phone call with my bestie.

The quote above is one of my favorites from the book
Laurie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll admit it. I was a big fan of the Oprah Winfrey Show, and during its final season I even watched the behind-the-scenes reality show -- which featured Sheri Salata in her role as executive producer. I remember her as being incredibly capable, creative, in control, and just so talented in her career.

This book drew me in because it shows the other side of her life. All that I just said is true and she was also incredibly stressed, with terrible health habits and feeling a lack of a soulmate rom
Mary Swan-Bell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book while sitting in the sun for the first time in weeks in Ohio. I started to appreciate my own little soggy backyard paradise more and more as I laughed, cried, and enjoyed every part of the journey Sheri invites her readers to take.

I have loved listening to the Sheri and Nancy show since the very first episode and this deep dive with Sheri feels special, revelatory and like a long chat with an old friend. Her gratitude and appreciation for life is so inspirational and shi
Adreina Adams
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Beautiful No And Other Tales of Trail, Transcendence and Transformation by Sherri Salata is a Beautiful book. It touched my soul and lifted my spirit. It is a thoughtful, authentic, inspiring, transformational vulnerable, powerful, inspirational and impactful book. Wow I really love, love, love this book. Sheri shared her story with passion, generosity and love. It helped me to examine my life to determine where I have said No to myself. Examine, reflect and be grateful for all of the Beauti ...more
Susie Bommersbach
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for women in the middle of life. Sheri's expert story telling, honesty and sense of humor make "The Beautiful No" a truly enjoyable experience. I found myself crying in one chapter and laughing out loud in the next. I have followed Sheri since the beginning of her podcast and after reading her book, I feel like we are old friends. She comes across as so genuine and authentic to the core. Read and share this book with your best girlfriends. They will thank you for it.
Diane
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like other reviewers here, I just kept turning the pages, soaking it all in. Sheri's book is highly entertaining, deeply moving, and quite inspiring. And who isn't up for a little reinvention in life!

P.S. Sheri offers lots of resources in her podcast and on her site The Pillar Life -- including a free companion workbook to The Beautiful No. Highly recommend!
Colleen Olinger
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars-Sheri Salata is a great writer, and I enjoyed her enthusiasm. She's one of those people that you wish was one of your good friends, because you can tell she's got a magnetic personality. I enjoyed reading about her journey.
Grace Hill
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and real.
Robin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sheri Salata is a great storyteller. Her book reads like the podcast she co-hosts with her BFF, Nancy Hala: real, funny in spots while deep in others, and full of moments that make you think. I can relate to so much of what Sheri writes about, right down to the nearly identical menu it sounds like our families used to enjoy on Thanksgiving. Ladies, I can't recommend this book highly enough. Sheri's memoir-so-far is a treat with the added bonus of a free downloadable companion guide on the book s ...more
Mediaman
Aug 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Face it--Sheri Salata got a book deal because she produced Oprah's TV show. That's the extent of what we're interested in, and she fails to provide any meaningful stories about her decades with Oprah.

Instead we get silly girly diary type stuff. (That's not sexist--it's the truth.) A chapter on her needing to lose a hundred pounds. Her pondering why she never found a man to marry. A chapter on her dogs, who she says are as important as having human children and even includes a list of tips from o
Cathy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came out at just the right time for me. I've been pondering some of the same questions as Sheri Salata and loved how she just told it like it is and is so down to earth about everything. The Beautiful No is definitely inspiring, especially for women who may be "midlife" and wondering how to navigate the next few decades. I read it quickly and feel like immediately rereading it to make sure I get all the nuggets Salata shares.
Ursula
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Sheri and Nancy's podcast so I was so excited to get a copy of this book. The book is written as if you are having a conversation with Sheri. She is able to weave the important stories of her life into the nuggets of wisdom she has gathered over the years. Her life experiences and the lessons she has taken from them are inspiring and grounding at the same time. A great book to kick off your summer reading.
Sheila
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some nice nuggets in there, bu she lost me when she talked to the “animal
empath.”
Phoebe
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I became a fan of Sheri Salata the moment she was first introduced on Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes. I thought she was a powerhouse and was immediately interested in her and her story. Thankfully, she stepped out of the control room and into the world. I began listening to her "This is 50!" podcast (now known as "The Sheri and Nancy Show") as soon as it debuted so I was primed to love this book the minute it was released. I purchased it as both an audiobook and hard cover. I listened first ...more
Siv
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Salata reached the top tier of All Things Oprah in her 20+ year career there. She had her dream career, but not her dream life. So, at age 56, she walked away to discover who she wants to be in her second act.

This seems to be a current theme among women: not a mid-life crisis, but a mid-life reinvention. This book had some helpful things to say, but on some matters it didn't say enough and on others it said too much. Still, a mostly engaging read.

"...the most crucial stories are the ones we auth
Crystal Zavala
I listened to the audiobook of The Beautiful No as written and narrated by Sheri Salata herself. Sheri wrote the book after The Oprah Show wrapped. She had worked for The Oprah Show for over two decades. Sheri found herself in a middle of life transition. She wants to look inward at herself in regards to her love life, her weight, her spirituality, and her future career.

As a woman who is almost exactly 20 years younger than Sheri, I found that I couldn't relate to everything that she is going th
Amy
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Some of the quotes and ideas throughout the book I really enjoyed. I did find the book kind of name-droppery and pretty new age though.

Talking about 'following your bliss'. When someone says 'She does exactly what she wants to do'; it is not said as a compliment. People should be more purposeful in their enjoyment of life and doing what you want shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. If you don't find joy in something, do something else.

She talks about not being too much of a stickler with having t
Teresa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
This looked like it was going to a good summer read of a feel-good life transformation. Instead I got a weakly-organized, flakey, and navel-gazing meander. I appreciated most learning what a 56 year old might care about at that stage in her life, but the good stuff could have taken up no more than a chapter. A clearly rich woman in both money and family, I think Salata is probably a neat human being, but she ended up sounding deeply selfish except when it came to her love for her family. Additio ...more
Tracy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a reader of memoirs or self help books so I was a little nervous when a friend said I should read this. I am happy I trusted her! I listened to it on a long weekend drive and hearing Sheri's voice tell the story was excellent (I'm always in for a good story!). I saw some of the reviews below (something I rarely read...) and, yes, there is a feeling of extreme privilege at times but that doesn't make her not human. I am a single woman business owner in my 40s and I could identify with so ...more
William Schram
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped, memoir
This book isn’t meant for me. That is the conclusion I came to after I read the first few pages. I assumed that it would be about the trials and tribulations that come with learning to say no to things but I was wrong.

The Beautiful No is written by Sheri Salata. She is a former executive for OWN and did things for Harpo Studios. It is a memoir that explores certain aspects of Salata’s life. Now I don’t know the author by name, but it is difficult to be ignorant of the existence of Oprah Winfrey.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• #FutureBoards: Learn How to Create a Vision Board to Get Exactly the Life You Want
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • I.M.: A Memoir
  • Untamed
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It
  • More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • City of Girls
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Inside Out
  • Revolution of the Soul: Awaken to Love Through Raw Truth, Radical Healing, and Conscious Action
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • How to Be Fine: What We Learned from Living by the Rules of 50 Self-Help Books
  • The Naked Truth: A Memoir
Sheri Salata is a writer/producer, co founder of thepillarlife.com and co host of the podcast The Sheri + Nancy Show. Her current ventures are the evolution of her 20-year career with Oprah Winfrey. Her action-packed days as Executive Producer of The Oprah Winfrey Show were chronicled in the acclaimed docuseries Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes.

Sheri also served as Co-President of Harpo Studios

News & Interviews

“No start. No finish. Just an ongoing becoming.” 0 likes
“Though they sometimes balked at my relentless rehearsal schedules, they always loved the standing ovations that came after. Everyone does.” 0 likes