Start by marking “Tropic of Squalor: Poems” as Want to Read:
Tropic of Squalor: Poems

Tropic of Squalor: Poems

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A new volume of poetry from the New York Times bestselling and esteemed author of The Liar’s Club and Lit.

Long before she earned accolades for her genre-defining memoirs, Mary Karr was winning poetry prizes. Now the beloved author returns with a collection of bracing poems as visceral and deeply felt and hilarious as her memoirs. In Tropic of Squalor, Karr dares to address
Published May 8th 2018 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Tropic of Squalor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tropic of Squalor

Tucker
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read and loved Mary Karr’s memoirs: “Lit” and “The Liar’s Club,” but I had not previously read any of her poetry. In her new collection “Tropic of Squalor,” I felt as though I was reading a different author - both in character and tone. There were some poems and lines within poems that were thought-provoking and really resonated with me. However, on the whole this collection was too dark and bleak for this reader. Maybe I would have liked the poems more if I were in a different frame of mind. ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Palpable and concentric - the poems in this book are sequestered parts of the pageantry and pace of life.
Rebecca
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Karr is mostly known as a memoirist, but this is actually her fifth poetry collection. Death is a major theme, with David Foster Wallace’s suicide (“Among genii, whoever dies first wins. / Or so he thought.”) and 9/11 getting multiple mentions. Karr also writes self-deprecatingly about her Texas childhood (“my kidhood (whose torments / Did fill many profitable volumes)”; “Whole years I lost in the kingdom / Of mine own skull”).

Best of all is the multi-part “The Less Holy Bible”: a sort of D
Jill Mackin
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, poet
Dark poems. Well written.
Diane S ☔
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 review soon.
Marne Wilson
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and I am definitely not the right reader for it. Karr deals with some dark subject matter here, and her coping strategy is a thick layer of cynicism. For example, take these lines from "The Age of Criticism," where she describes the suicide of a fellow poet: "I believed there might be no one more alluring alive./ But she killed herself. Last April, widowed at sixty,/ she jumped off the high stadium of some snotty college/ where she taught, and whether she ...more
L K Simonds
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say? This is classic Mary Karr: No holds barred poems about life in the Tropic of Squalor, that is, under the curse. Ms. Karr's observations are poignant and almost always have a comic element, even if it's dark. The poems are full of familiar themes for those who've read her memoirs. I don't read a lot of poetry, and my taste runs toward poets like Frost and Yeats and Dickinson, but I keep trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to expand my horizons. My favorite poetry of Karr's are the lyri ...more
Glenda
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Tropic of Squalor” ranges in subject from the personal to the political. Many of the poems have an autobiographical voice, and an early poem, “Illiterate Progenitor,” speaks to life with a father “undiluted by the written word.” This poem inspired me to write about my own family.

And although Karr never mentions political figures by name, astute readers will understand the subtext. As with her memoir “The Liar’s Club,” Karr infuses some poems with a fair amount of “crazy.”

Karr has structured t
Autumn Kovach
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I don't read poetry often but I first encountered Mary on an On Being podcast, which I've listened to multiple times. I've read her memoir and then saw her live at Books Are Magic in Brooklyn. She read poetry aloud from this book and spoke about her inspirations. She is hilarious and so real. I especially love the ones of NY and her experience in the city -- articulated so well.
John
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a wit with words to be reckoned
Michael Morris
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It has been a long time since I read a volume of poems which made me say "Wow!" more than a couple times. Karr's poems rarely disappoint, and this collection is an absolute joy, despite the suffering (probably because of it) the artist pulls us through like a cranky firefighter.
A number of pieces had me stopping at the end to catch my breath or pray, not for anyone in particular, but about a universe in chaos. Some poems address the dead (the poet's father, a friend who had taken his life, the l
Melissa
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like Karr’s prose much better than her poetry, but there are some gems in the second half of this book, including a couple of searing 9/11 poems.
Rayna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection is dark and thought provoking in the way only amazing poetry can be.
David Jordan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads wants to know “what did you think of this book?” I’m not even sure how to put it- there was like a buzz, a thrill that I experienced reading these poems, a familiarity with the landscape and an excitement of discovery as I read descriptions of that land that had not occurred to me. The section of biblical reimagining(s) is pure brilliance. I couldn’t wait to flip back to the first page and read these all over again.
And again.
I love these poems
I love this book
I love this poet
Melissa Fondakowski
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Viper Rum was the first of Mary Karr's work that I read and I was hooked. she's a great poet, and this volume is fantastic. As a poet Karr remains a tried and true storyteller and uses all the things I love about poetry to make these moments stick, sound, rhythm, white space, double meanings...a great volume.
Emma
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karr is getting better with age. This is so good.
Sara Habein
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
So much good stuff in here. Sad, thoughtful, reverent, maybe sometimes a little too on the nose, but that's ok too.
Maughn Gregory
All spiritual writing should be this grungy, this clear-eyed, this smart.
Christine Fay
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection of poems brings forth the current problems we are having in our society. My favorite poem is called “Discomfort Food for the Unwhole.” It’s a commentary on how close we are in proximity in a grocery store, yet how far away we are from each other due to our obsession with technology. She also wrote one called “The Like Button” which is a commentary on how obsessed we are with achieving so many likes on Facebook and other social media platforms. A great book of verse overall.
Ramona Mead
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Karr's memoirs, and this is my first of her poetry collections. It certainly did not disappoint. As with her prose, the writing here is sharp and concise, descriptions are vivid, and her concepts are unique. The poems are all relatively short and powerful. Having read her other works and knowing her voice, it comes through here loud and clear. Karr is a keen observer, and an expert and turning inner reflection into witty writing.
Bob Bergeson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful slice of Americana; the fleshy parts of the human heart, that gets embraced, crushed, and exhilarated, through the lens of one of our most authentic memorists..

Oh yea, I got to read a signed copy... nah, nah na!!
Teresa
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Love to read poetry! I received my copy in a giveaway here on Goodreads!! Thank you Goodreads and Mary Karr!!!
Corey Wozniak
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
👻👻👻(haunted) by Mary Karr. After loving _Sinner’s Welcome_ I bought the rest of her poetry connections. TROPIC was perfect. I won’t fail to read the rest of her stuff before year’s end.
Rooze Dovance
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry
Dark, sarcastic, cynical and yet... moments of grace, of hope. Definitely my kind of poetry collection. I wanted to start rereading it as soon as I finished it.
Jennifer Jones
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Devoured in one sitting. Sure, it’s slim but I’m chronically distracted so finishing in one sitting? Accomplishment.

Beautiful, bruised, but still showing up.
Simon Sweetman
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
There's every chance I barely understood a word
Kelsey
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Rachel
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked The Less Holy Bible the most; it felt the most cohesive and had the most consistent narrative arcs.
Susannah
rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2018
Marianna Petrovich
Aug 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 13 Apr 23, 2018 05:16PM
Mary Karr is an American poet, essayist and memoirist. She rose to fame in 1995 with the publication of her bestselling memoir The Liars' Club. She is the Peck Professor of English Literature at Syracuse University.

Karr was born January 16, 1955, in Groves, a small town in East Texas located in the Port Arthur region, known for its oil refineries and chemical plants, to J. P. and Charlie Marie (Mo