Start by marking “A Scandalous Deal (The Four Hundred, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Scandalous Deal (The Four Hundred, #2)

A Scandalous Deal

(The Four Hundred #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  532 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Joanna Shupe returns with another unforgettable novel set in the glittering world of New York City’s Gilded Age…

They call her Lady Unlucky…

With three dead fiancés, Lady Eva Hyde has positively no luck when it comes to love. She sets sail for New York City, determined that nothing will deter her dream of becoming an architect, certainly not an unexpected passionate shipboar
Published April 24th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Scandalous Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scandalous Deal

Bubu
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hr, 2-stars, read-2018
In my goal to avoid reading the book that I actually want to read (a bit of a contradiction, I know), I thought I would read Joanna Shupe's newest addition to her The Four Hundred series last night.

After about 20-25% I started skim-reading. This is it. This is my last book by this author.

Yes, she is good at bringing the Gilded Age to life. She's good at showing how difficult it was for a woman to advance into male domains. She is good at presenting female friendships. But she seems to forget th
Caz
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

This second book in Joanna Shupe’s The Four Hundred series introduces readers to Lady Eva Hyde, an intelligent and ambitious young woman who longs to make a career designing buildings. Her father, the world’s most famous architect, Lord Cassell (otherwise known as E.M. Hyde) has tutored her since she was a teenager, and she has studied and worked hard to hone her craft, but this is 1890, and she is barred from properly entering the profession because she is female. E
Ira
3.5 stars.

I like it, but the characters and the dialogues feels too current!

Love the idea a female architect, but correct me if I’m wrong, how old the heroine is? Is she 22?
She started seriously learning at 14 for 8 years. And now she is in charge for a high rise luxurious hotel in 19th century? Er...seriously? 🙄🤨
Even in 21st century, when women can have any career they want that things won’t happened!
Oh well, but it was a fun story and who care with the fact right? Right?
Stacee
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had enjoyed the first book in this series and was excited to get this one.

I loved Eva and Phillip. She’s smart and stands up for herself. He’s stubborn and maybe a bit cocky. Together there’s a load of chemistry and button pushing. It was especially delightful to see Nora and Julius from the first book.

Plot wise, it was okay. There’s a lot of push and pull and while these two talked and talked often, it was never about what it needed to be. I loved all of the mentions of working women and th
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Avon in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

A Scandalous Deal is the second book in the Four Hundred series. The first book was a delight, but I really think I enjoyed this book even more than book one. *gasp* because I adored A Daring Arrangement .  But this book, just held my attention even more. I don't know what it was, but the minute I
Maida
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the sexiest book of Joanna Shupe's so far, in my opinion. Chapter 2 is a highlight for me with its combination of humor and high heat.

I like Eva's strength of will and her unwavering self-belief. But for me, Phillip had the most growth arc in this book with his acceptance of the changing roles of women in his world.

As always with Joanna's Gilded age setting, I adore "being there" at the time and place of A Scandalous Deal because she describes them exceptionally well.

I prefer for the
Jen Davis
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
As much as I love the Regency romances that are the mainstay of my historicals, I am really enjoying the foray into New York’s Gilded Age I’m getting with this series. This is the second installment in Joanna Shupe’s The Four Hundred and–though I enjoyed the first one–if you want to jump in here, this holds up just fine as a standalone.

Lady Eva is a talented architect who learned her craft at the feet of her renowned father. Unfortunately, her dad has developed dementia and can no longer work. T
Jaclyn
Honestly, Philip should have grovelled more.

Lady Eva was great and I loved that her character refused to back down from her own individual aspirations, pushing for more from her future partner, although I am of the opinion that Philip could of done more than a grand gesture since I'm not completely convinced that he's reversed his thinking on women in the workforce. Sigh.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
***ARC Provided by the Publisher via Edelweiss***

3.5 Stars

Eva and Phillip live in a time when a woman is not able to be respected in a "man's world" so even though her father is ailing, and not able to work, andthe plans for Phillip's hotel were drawn by Eva, she lies and convinces everyone that she is in New York temporarily, and only in charge until her father arrives.

Phillip and Eva meet on a ship, crossing from the UK to New York. They have an illicit encounter, and they don't see one anothe
☕ Kimberly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coffee Dates with A Scandalous Deal

First Date: Our story begins on a ship traveling to New York City where Lady Eva Hyde meets Phillip Mansfield. Mansfield is traveling home from Paris, and Eva is traveling to oversee the building of a hotel her father the famous E.M. Hyde designed. Only her father didn't develop it. She did. Her father has been ill for over two years with Alzheimer's a disease that wouldn't be diagnosed until 1906. On board, neither knows who the other is, as they exchange mo
Ashley
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Really loved this one!
Alma Torres
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever read “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand from the 1943? The Scandalous Deal gave me the same vibe when it came to the construction site, lies, and finally love. Definitely a good quick read!
Gaele
I haven’t yet read the first in this series – but I’m hoping to remedy that this weekend! This story starts with a touch of deception and a passage to New York from England for our couple. Eva Hyde is an architect, hoping to make her own mark on the world. Her father is both famed for his work, and the one who taught her all she knows, but he’s in failing health with something that feels like a dementia, and is unable to keep working. Unfortunately, Phillip Mansfield has paid (perhaps overpaid) ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
A Scandalous Deal by Joanna Shupe is book Two in The Four Hundred series. This is the story of Eva Hyde and Phillip Mansfield. I have read the previous book but feel if you choose to read this one first you should be okay.
Eva is the Lady Unlucky when she looses three fiancés to death and now her father illness is getting worse. Eva's father is a famous architect who has an assignment to design and oversee Phillips Hotels in America. Eva has been trained by her father and in fact has been coveri
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Stars

A Scandalous Deal felt innovated and fresh in a genre that by definition is antiquated. I read the novel feverishly, not realizing how quickly I blew through it until I hit the ending, since nothing broke my concentration.

Two new things for me: I'd never read a book that began with a ship passage from England to NYC and I've read very few books taking place in the US during this era. This was a pleasant surprise, adding
Michele
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

A strong and brilliant heroine, a dashing and powerful hero, and a sensual arrangement–how great does that sound as a setup for a historical romance? A Scandalous Deal was an intense and absolutely intriguing look at life during the Gilded Age in America.

This is the first book I’ve read by Joanna Shupe, although she’s been on my “must read” list for a while now. I really enjoyed her writing style and I will definitely be looking for more of her novels to
Vampire-lk
Loved this fun quick read!!!!!! The plot was awesome the characters were engaging & loved the time era! That said lol I don’t like that women did not have any rights & were thought of ballrooms & frivolous things instead of being a damn good architect like our leading heroine was!!!!!! This was a great champion of women & portrayed why she was so adamant on why should she marry if the male will hamper her dreams & goals in life to become the best—any male worth their salt if ...more
Catherine Stein
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Another excellent book from Joanna Shupe. Loved Lady Eva and all the rich architectural details.
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
This one didn't wow me as much as the first in the series did, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Review to come...
Holly Bryant-Simpson
Howww is Joanna Shupe so good?

Just like with A Daring Arrangement, when I started I wasn't sure if I was going to fall in love with these two and then somehow I'm halfway through the book and can't stop reading. The Joanna Shupe word vortex pulled me in and didn't let me go.

I absolutely love this setting. I want more historical romance outside of Great Britain.

The story has a diverse cast, dealing with real issues, real fears, and finding real love. (For the record, I would absolutely LOVE to
Jenica
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adore Joanna Shupe's writing and this book was no exception. This book is about Lady Eva Hyde, who has been sort of pretending to be her father in order to keep this architect design deal for this hotel in New York City. Her dad is very ill and, whoops, she hooked up with the owner of the hotel on the boat crossing. While it maybe has a little element of not like other girls, I found the book delightful and compulsively readable. I did not want to put it down. I do, however, despise this cover ...more
Miranda
DNF at page 276.

I really liked Eva's character which is why I kept with it as long as I did, but I could not get over how everyone ignored her wishes and just did whatever they thought was best for her. No matter if she asked someone to not do something, if they thought it was for her own good, they'd go and do it.

Further to this, there are issues of consent in here I can't ignore -- their first sex scene happens when they're both incredibly drunk, which is uncomfortable for me. And in the cha
Tracy Emro
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!

Lady Eva Hyde, daughter of the famous architect E.M. Hyde, Lord Cassell and the holder of the unfortunately nickname Lady Unlucky (because of her 3 deceased fiancés) is on her way to New York to oversee the biggest project of her career. Too bad everyone believes it is her father's design.

Eva meets Phillip on the ship, she literally runs into him she introduces herself as Evelyn and helps him with his sea sickness, days later during a storm, they meet again and
Les Romantiques
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Fabiola
Review Copy from the Publisher

A Scandalous Deal is the second volume in The Four Hundred series. I didn’t read A Daring Arrangement, the first volume, and the third, A Notorious Vow, is expected in September 2018.
While the first volume features characters we can see in A Scandalous Deal, I really don’t know who are those presented in the third volume’s plot.

I don’t know Joanna Shupe even if she’s already been published by Milady, the
AnnMarie
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scandalous Deal is the second book in The Four Hundred series by Joanna Shupe. It can easily be read as a standalone book, but I encourage you to read the first book in the series, A Daring Arrangement, if only for the fact that is is an absolutely fabulous story. Just like this one has proven to be!

Lady Eva Hyde is a budding architect, trained by her father whose building designs are coveted by many. When he falls ill with what I believe to be dementia he is unable to carry on with his work.
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Originally posted on lampshadereader.com

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

Joanna Shupe’s A Scandalous Deal had it’s ups and downs, but overall, it did make for a somewhat enjoyable read.

I liked the heroine, but the hero....?
I really enjoyed how this story started out. Lady Eva is a character who had gumption and drive to make something of herself. Even if she was still in her Father’s shadow. The meet cute between her and Phillip was amusing and sexy.

I wasn’t amused
Lorelei's
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed A Scandalous Deal by Joanna Shupe! Ms. Shupe is my first Gilded Age romance author, the second book in this series I’ve read so far. I’m captivated by learning tidbits about the era while enjoying a romance between an American hero and British heroine. Lady Eva Hyde is a strong, determined heroine, wanting to build a name as an arquitect, yet she’ll make decisions that may ruin her chances, especially when she falls in love.
Phillip Mansfield is a man ahead of his time in terms o
JoRead
When Eva and Phillip first meet he comes off as the brooding type. A next encounter lets Eva discover he’s got a fun-loving side that she’d have loved to know more of but her dreams of becoming a well-renowned architect stops her from pursuing more with him.

I liked the chemistry these two developed from the start. It was fun to see how the relationship goes from ardent strangers, to a cold employer-employee status, to passionate lovers.
As Eva tries to prove she’s the capable professi
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Sign me up for the next one. . . Lady Unlucky had me in her hands. She was smart, resourceful, sweet, and more. Lady Eve took me on a trip from England to New York during the Gilded Age in America. She became the woman that could do anything. She was smart. She knew what she wanted. She could get the job done, if someone would stop sabotaging her. Someone wants her name of Lady Unlucky to hold true in the Americas.

Phillip Mansfield has no idea that he one lady he should not dally with will be w
Aila
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Eva made him happy. When he was with her, he wasn't focused on the future or his legacy. Not even the family's standing concerned him. He could lose himself in her, and live in the moment for the first time in his entire life."

Overall: Brilliant historical romance with a fiercely independent heroine (seriously, I love her) and a hero that's not afraid to go after what he wants. Also, smoking chemistry!

Writing: I absolutely adored Shupe's writing and the characters' progression from insta-chemis
Sign up for Joanna's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and discounts!

Joanna Shupe has always loved history, ever since she saw her first Schoolhouse Rock cartoon. While in college, she read every romance she could get her hands on and soon started crafting her own racy historical novels.

In 2013 she won Romance Writers of America’s prestigious

The Four Hundred (3 books)
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
  • A Notorious Vow (The Four Hundred, #3)