Start by marking “Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit” as Want to Read:
Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit

Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit

"Candice has created a guide to an ancient, common-sense and approachable way of living. In a crowded wellness space,Kintsugi Wellness truly stands out."-Sophia Amoruso,founder and CEO,Girlboss

The 16 Most Exciting Cookbooks Coming Out in 2018--Brit + CoWhere we come from is who we are. And Candice Kumai’s Japanese heritage has guided her journey back to health at every
Published April 17th 2018 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about Kintsugi Wellness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kintsugi Wellness

Start your review of Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit
SheAintGotNoShoes
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Candice and her book !
I loved all the gentle suggestions on how to be kinder, gentler and the best version possible of yourself without comparison to others and what they are doing or achieving.

Granted a lot of the traits she describes as being classic Japanese characteristics are the very opposite of my fiery Italian disposition ( dignity, calmness, quietness, always letting go of things, never complaining.....), I still found some of her suggestions things to aspire to.

Well done !
Valerie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alongthejourney
I was introduced to Candice Kumai by way of the Black Girl In Om podcast where they spoke in depth about all things wellness, legacy, and so much more. I enjoyed reading through this general guideline which elaborated on Candice's understanding of a wide breadth of lifestyle truths associated with Kintsugi. A lot of the concepts she laid out reminded me of The Four Agreements and Candice listed Don Miguel Ruiz in her acknowledgments so the inspiration definitely traveled over for me. This is ...more
Joel Thompson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
It's probably a 2.5 stars for me but I will be generous and round up.

A few random observations:
* the real value is probably the recipes. If you could get that section on its own -- and it's fairly expansive given the overall size of the book -- that would be worth having.
* some of the ingredients may be hard to source, I'm not sure as I haven't tried yet
* there's not much on the actual practice of kintsugi (not that I expected an instruction manual) -- rather it's the jumping off point of the
Gina
A short, quick read that focuses on nutrition/diet, stress, and managing relationships. The book encourages readers to focus on things that matter in their lives and avoid wasting energy on things that don't matter and to let go of time/energy sucks.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off, this is just a beautiful book. I love the spaces on the page, the margins that are wide enough to let the reader breathe. The white and gold cover, the pink inside first page, the gorgeous images all contribute to making it lovely.

Compound that with rich content and you have a great book. I loved re-considering wabi sabi, thinking about other Japanese principles and even thinking about hiking as "forest bathing." In the Nourish section, Kumai includes recipes that made me long for
Britt Giles
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I listened to the audio of this book. The principles and ideas are just the reminders I needed right now, and pretty in-line with my philosophy of wellness. She can be a little self-indulgent once in awhile with her writing style, and I felt like her metaphor to kintsugi was sometimes pretty shallow, but overall I really appreciated the ideas and message. For not the first time I thought how my personality lends itself to many of the tenants of the Japanese culture.
From a linguistic
San San
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning about the Japanese philosophies that have kept Japanese people vibrant, happy and living with intention is something to learn from. Candice presents this philosophy in a way that is relatable, applicable and approachable. She introduces the philosophies, how their meaning is shaped in Japan, but also how to apply them to a modern life, outside of Japan.

Her stories, her words and memories are raw and emotional. Candice gives meaning to difficult times and pain in a way that you can't
Colette Masunaga
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book for the focus on culture, cooking, wellness, and self-care. As a young Japanese American woman, I can relate so much to Kumai’s words and insights on life, relationship, taking care of ourselves, and letting go of negative aspects of our lives.

As a modern working woman, Kumai’s emphasis on strengthen, resiliency, and being a boss lady has really motivated me to focus on my hustle.
Deanna Gold
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book incorporating Japanese thought and philosophy on food, beauty and emotional health. Lots of recipes and a travel guide to Japan at the end, but the best chapters are at the beginning when she focuses on the self.
Gina
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It turns out that Kintsugi Wellness was not the book that I was expecting it to be, but I liked it. I am not familiar with the author, Candice Kumai, and if I had been, I may have had a different expectation for the book.

This is a rather standard self-care book, but with a Japanese twist. I think that I was in search of something that was more of a Japanese lifestyle (and home style) book than this one is, however, it is an interesting and beautiful book
Betty Dietz
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiration read for the New Year.
Courtney
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this! Particularly some of what she writes about health and Japanese traditions/concepts. The recipes are cute and simple--very Japanese-California fusion and all pescatarian (most are vegan actually).
Tammie Smith
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an unexpected delight. The pictures are wonderful. The stories are fabulous and the recipes look delicious. It takes you away to japan.

Thank you to Goodreads and Candice Kumai for this book.
Jessica
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

Nicks wishes have come true- I finally want to visit Japan

Loved this! So much heart. And excited to try some of the recipes!
Tania Rivera
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Candice beautifully intertwined her Japanese and tradition to a very practical modern day use to life. Her pictures are breathtaking and her stories equally heartwarming. Definitely worth a read.
Tessha
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Part travel guide, plug for balance and wholesome nutrition and part life philosophy mindset.
Sandy  Lusardi DeSiervo
I loved this book! Great recipes!
Barbara
Kintsugi Wellness highlights Japanese traditions and ideals that support all aspects of self-care.
Lisa
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read

I loved learning so beloved Japanese traditions. I was written from the heart is the way it felt for me. Some good recipes to learn.
Elisabeth (Enthralled by the Written Word)
I love Candice Kumai. And Japan. This book not only was a good mental health read but gave me an even greater longing to visit the land of the rising sun.
The Book Maven
A visually-appealing self-help book that will be of most appeal to someone who is unfamiliar with the concept of kintsugi. Just...a little too floofy for my tastes.
Aida Schwartz
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a friend from Japan who first mentioned the kintsukuroi method, the art of mending broken things with gold. I cannot help but think how after so many years this method of approaching life itself has really shaped my way of accepting the broken and seeing the gold through the cracks. This book is well done, specially if you are a food lover and cooking is a way of finding rest to you. I happen to cook a lot of international dishes and the people who taught them to me come to my mind all ...more
Independent Zen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Candice Kumai's "Kintsugi Wellness" (2018) is an exceptional book. Highly recommended.
The author provides a nourishing read that resonates really well. For those looking for a closer connection to the culture and cuisine of Japan this beautiful book is a keeper. The author shares ten great mantras to live by and aspire to:

Ten Principles
Wabi-sabi - Admire Perfection
Gaman - Live with great resilience
Eiyoshoku - Nourish your body
Ki o tsukete - Learn to take care
Ganbatte - Always do your best
Marilee Rose
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. First, because I'm a fan of Candice K. in general. I love her entrepreneurial spirit, take no shit attitude, and she is honest in her writing. The book itself is a work of art. There are gorgeous photos throughout of her recipes (bonus!) And travels in Japan, including photos of family from long ago. She captured all the recent photos herself (so talented) and the food is delicious.
I really enjoyed reading about how she grew up and how her heritage influenced her in the ways
Vigneshwaran Raveendran
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Victoria
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, self-halp, noms
Authentic, honest, and very helpful for healing. The advice presented in this book is heartfelt and universal without feeling too general.

A lot of these new-to-me Japanese wellness concepts 'clicked' with me and felt intuitive, and the book addresses each concept in an amount of detail that feels perfect. I'm happy I purchased the book as I felt the need to highlight something every few pages.

I also love the recipe section in the middle of the book with traditional and modernized recipes - I
Wouter
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
As much has been said already in other reviews, I have to agree with the general lack of depth and focus, especially considering the word "kintsugi" appears in the title. I like the recipes, and the photos. I like her life philosophy, and the Japanese core concepts and their meaning in Candice's life and in life in general. I will write these down and have no choice but to look them up in depth in other works. That's OK, I'm already grateful to come across concepts I was not familiar with.
Kelly
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I found it to be a bit more of a generic self-help book, using Japanese culture as a reference, than I was hoping for. Focuses on gratitude, resilience, doing your personal best and avoiding comparison. Recipe ideas and lots of gorgeous pictures.
Dan Burt
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, audio, japanese
4.5 stars.
~Vixhen~
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember first seeing Candace on the fist season of Top Chef. Who knew I'd been reading and reviewing her book years later? This book is great. She gives us an inside look at her family and how she learned how to cook with some beautiful pictures of Japan and its culture. I got a strong sense of family and love from the recipes she shared in this book. You could tell she took the time to give us her best work.

• The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • Wabi-Sabi Welcome: Learning to Embrace the Imperfect and Entertain with Thoughtfulness and Ease
  • Being Boss: Take Control of Your Work and Live Life on Your Own Terms
  • Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life
  • The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Easy, Nutritious Recipes That Will Help Your Baby Learn to Eat (and Love!) a Variety of Solid Foods—and That the Whole Family Will Enjoy
  • Slow Medicine: The Way to Healing
  • Eat Beautiful: Nourish your skin from the inside out
  • The Atlas of Happiness
  • Careergasm: Find Your Way to Feel-Good Work
  • Little Victories: Perfect Rules for Imperfect Living
  • Brew: Better Coffee at Home: Better Coffee at Home
  • I Am Bat
  • Practical Ayurveda: Find Out Who You Are and What You Need to Bring Balance to Your Life
  • The Little Book of Emotional Intelligence: How to flourish in a crazy world
  • H2Oh!: Infused Waters for Health and Hydration
  • Ideas Are Your Only Currency
  • Food Styling: The Art of Preparing Food for the Camera
Candice Kumai is an American author and chef. Kumai is based in New York City.

Candice was born in California to a Japanese mother and Polish-American father. Kumai worked as a model when she was a teenager. Later, she trained as a professional chef in Southern California, cooking on the line at several restaurants.

“Everybody needs friends who uplift them. Assess who makes you feel good, and look to those people for support when you're grappling with a situation that cannot be helped.” 2 likes
“Over the years, my family and I have communicated and miscommunicated. But sometimes we found the best answer was simple sho ga nai, just letting something go. Ultimately, I'm grateful to for the struggles and the setbacks we shared together, as they have made us into who we are today. Without those times of turmoil and change, the ups and downs, we would not be able to learn and grow or enrich our lives. The struggles will become your story, And that's the beauty of kintsugi. Your cracks can become the most beautiful part of you.” 1 likes