Start by marking “True Stories from an Unreliable Eyewitness: A Feminist Coming of Age” as Want to Read:
True Stories from an Unreliable Eyewitness: A Feminist Coming of Age

True Stories from an Unreliable Eyewitness: A Feminist Coming of Age

A fiercely intelligent, hilarious, and deeply feminist collection of interrelated personal stories from Academy, Emmy, and Golden Globe Award–winning actress and director Christine Lahti.

Published April 3rd 2018 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about True Stories from an Unreliable Eyewitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Stories from an Unreliable Eyewitness

Deb
I was quick to sign up for this book tour because I am a big fan of Christine Lahti, stemming from her movies the eighties; Running on Empty is a favorite, as are Housekeeping, Gross Anatomy, Swing Shift and Just Between Friends with Mary Tyler Moore. I like coming across her on television movies or shows like No Place Like Home, Amerika, Chicago Hope, Law & Order SVU and even as McGarrett's mother on Hawaii Five-O. She is a talented actress with plenty of awards for her work and she has alw ...more
Jolissa Skow
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book in a morning. I loved all the stories Lahti has to share about her life, and about going into something (acting) that was so incredibly male-dominated. Overall a great, quick read that inspires.
Marika
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Actress Christine Lahti is a serious actress who has won numerous awards including an Emmy and a Golden Globe. Which is what makes this essay collection such a surprise. Full of self deprecating humor and a vocabulary that rivals any sailors. Christine writes very conversationally and the essays flow naturally as she talks about her journey as a feminist in the male dominated film industry. Wise words from the woman, wife, mother, daughter and actress that combine to make Christine Lahti.

*Christ
Melissa
When I was a kid, I used to love checking the mail, especially since it meant that I’d get first crack at my mother’s copy of Ms. Magazine. At the tender age of ten, a lot of the material was outside of my experience, but I loved the section at the back called “clicks,” which was a monthly sampling of reader contributions, each describing a moment when feminism, or the need for it, “clicked” into place.

This book, True Stories from an Unreliable Witness, includes many essays that represent simila
Victoria Colotta
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A smart, honest, and witty look at one woman's journey through her life.

I recently had the opportunity to read TRUE STORIES FROM AN UNRELIABLE EYEWITNESS by Christine Lahti. This heartfelt, frank, and at times hilarious memoir is a gift to feminists, women, and readers alike.

What can only be described as a distinct voice, the actress talks with such candor about family life and her struggles with staying true to her feminist ideals in a world that doesn't always s
Betsy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actress Christine Lahti shares her life in short stories, weaving past and present experiences into well written, thematic chapters. I was captivated by this book for many reasons: first and foremost, she writes intelligently and skillfully. Her sense of humor is wicked, her conversational tone and honesty, refreshing. Next she was born and raised in Birmingham, MI, (my hometown) and she attended the University of Michigan, my alma mater. Finally, she is a feminist “coming of age” raised in the ...more
Fredell
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. Well written, refreshingly honest and heart-felt. I laughed, cried, called my friends and read them whole chapters. I felt like I was having an afternoon with a really good friend. there was nothing trite about this star's story. I hope Ms. Lahti continues to write.
Rachel Cochran
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A candid memoir navigating a complicated feminist identity as an actress. The book weaves lighthearted anecdotes - like one from a bathroom incident in elementary school - with painful stories - such as the death of a mentally ill sister. Lahti pulls the reader in from start to finish with a pleasantly paced emotional trajectory while examining memory vs. reality. A beautiful tale for cross-generational women to glean inspiration.
Laurel-Rain
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For decades, actress and director Christine Lahti has captivated the hearts and minds of her audience through iconic roles in Chicago Hope, Running on Empty, Housekeeping, And Justice for All, Swing Shift, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, God of Carnage, and The Blacklist. Now, in True Stories from an Unre
Debra
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed Lahti’s acting career and ironically enough I first became a fan after a 1991 TV movie, Crazy from the Heart. I am sure that the film was totally saccharine but I loved that (a) her character was a high school principal, and (b) that she was not afraid to shock and amaze her small community. Then, there was her long stint on Chicago Hope of which I was a huge fan (back in the day). Lahti boasts Emmy, Golden Globe and Academy Awards (the latter for directing a live short action fil ...more
Salimah
The chapters, ‘Brother’ and ‘Mamma Mia’, came too late in this collection of essays, but they were the croutons of this mixed salad of a memoir. They were the toughest chapters I read out of the entire thing and they were the absolute memorable ones, as well.

In all, the chapters were oddly placed, or perhaps I did not follow the meaning behind their placement? It is, however, of note that she herself is the string that ties them all together.

Nevertheless, the stories themselves were interestin
Lenny
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Lahti is a wonderful storyteller and brutally honest about her own life, which makes for a highly engaging listen. I read many books but when it comes to autobiographies I prefer to listen to the author tell their own story. This is not the usual by-the-numbers autobiography but rather a series of important moments in Ms. Lahti's life that made her a feminist. From her early days in New York in which she gives up thousands of dollars for refusing to fuck two directors who would cast her in n ...more
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GREAT! I love reading memoirs. Especially ones by people I know and love. I have love Christine Lahti since way back (waaaay back LOL). I was a huge fan of Chicago Hope, watched every show and loved her on that. Now after reading this I am searching Netflix for movies that she has been in so I can watch the ones I haven't seen.

I love that this wasn't really a "story of my life" kind of thing but more of a pick and choose different "life stories". I love strong women like her that make good role
Michael
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actor/Director Christine Lahti pulls no punches as she examines her life in a series of essays -- from childhood to her time as an aging actress in unforgiving Hollywood. A child of the 50's/60's she struggled with her feminism as the world changed around her. Her essays are filled with humor, with warmth, with self-depracating cynicism, and hopeful enthusiasm. Her life has been filled with highs and lows, and those who know her from her film and TV roles will certainly enjoy her honest and powe ...more
Montana
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the personal stories and appreciated the truths in this book. That said the format of short stories was very light weight. With the exception of the longer stories about her brother and sister and their struggles, I wish this book had been longer and given more indepth context for her experiences. I really like Christine Lahti and especially her experiences with sexual harassment resonate as true, as do most of the stories. But I wanted more time to really feel the depth of what she was ...more
Diane
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I respect Lahti's journey as a feminist but find that much of her stories seem dated to me - they involve experiences I have long ago resolved, so in many ways her stories are stories of early feminism. I am simply not interested in reading about this issue anymore. Lahti isn't a bad writer (assuming she actually wrote the book) but she could use a few less four letter words and reach for more descriptive words. Additionally, Lahti devotes much of her book to her disfunctional family - again a t ...more
Barb
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Since I’m a fan of her acting, I thought I’d simply enjoy hearing a bit more about her. But there were two chapters that really moved me. One was about the lasting affects of trauma and how women have to move through the world differently because of it. Another was the poignant description of being with her dad as he was failing and feeling an emotional abyss that neither could navigate yet both seeming to want to. Many other great moments described as well.
Melanie
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I have seen her in various films and tv shows and always found her to be a classy lady. I even remember the Golden Globes where she was in the bathroom when her name was called, and handled it beautifully. I find her to be an interesting lady and not typically Hollywood. She has been married to her husband for over 30 years and had her kids later on in life. This was a thoughtful and honest memoir.
Roxanne Darling
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest and Revealing, with Humor and self-awareness

At first I was put off by the informal, conversational style of the writing but I came to value that the most. This is her story and she told it in her own voice, which is one of the main points of the book in my opinion. Be true to yourself, even when there’s more to the story... Thanks, Christine.
Carol Carlson
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poignant, funny at times, sad at others, these essays outline significant events of Christine Lahti's life. She begins by explaining that all memories may not be entirely the truth. Details about her family life, including her Dad's drinking manhattans, and her mom's catering to her husband, ring true for that time period. Thoroughly enjoyed this fast read.
Leonard
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best memoirs I've read. It's sharply written, funny, and informative. The author does not become to self-indulgent as many memoir writers do. This book is about her but it's also about much more, her family, her husband, the film industry, the way men treat women, the world we live in, etc. I found it hard to put down.
Susan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A pretty fast and easy read. I zipped through it but I think that was partially because I couldn't put it down! I've always liked Christine Lahti as an actress and now I like her as an author. She has a good way of telling a story - sad ones, happy ones. She's someone you'd like to hang out with over a glass of wine!
Cindy
Reading this book is like having a drink with a friend. Christine Lahti has not written a memoir, but several short essays about her life. Like a conversation, they're all over the board and she's the common thread.

Quick and easy read.
Julie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed Christine's stories. It is a quick read but the writing is excellent. I laughed out loud and I was moved. Good book!
Jeimy
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mostly made us of vignettes about the actress's life. I don't think I would have finished the print version, but the audiobook was ok.
Marybeth
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love how Christine thinks!! All for “woman’s rights and power”! Love her as an actress too😊
Denise
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This no-holds-barred collection of autobiographical essays was impressive in its richness and candor. A worthwhile and entertaining read!
Maureen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another set of stories about a dysfunctional family told by a well know actress. A very quick read.
Peggy Thomson
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely memoir with a range of emotions and a hearty seasoning of humor.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lee Miller: A Woman's War
  • Agnes Martin: Her Life and Art
  • In the Slender Margin: The Intimate Strangeness of Dying
  • Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance
  • The Extra Woman: How Marjorie Hillis Led a Generation of Women to Live Alone and Like It
  • The House That Pinterest Built
  • The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power
  • Hungry: What Eighty Ravenous Guys Taught Me about Life, Love, and the Power of Good Food
  • Eleanor Marx: A Life