Start by marking “A Lite Too Bright” as Want to Read:
A Lite Too Bright

A Lite Too Bright

For fans of literary classics such as The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower comes a stirring new thought-provoking novel from debut author Sam Miller about a loss shrouded in mystery with twists and turns down every railway.

Arthur Louis Pullman the Thirdis on the verge of a breakdown. He’s been stripped of his college scholarship, is losing his grip

Published May 8th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about A Lite Too Bright, please sign up.
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Lite Too Bright
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNF @ 45%: This was really interesting, but it just so was not for me. I considered pushing through and finishing it because I am curious to know how it ends, but I ultimately decided to just put it down bc life is too short to read books that you're not enjoying. Onto the next one!
Justine
Astonishing! This novel is a very refreshing read. Quite ambitious that had live up to my expectations and beyond.

description

It is about Arthur, going through a journey of dealing with loss, healing, family, friendship, with the added spice of mystery and bittersweet instances in life. And a literal journey too travelling through it all in search of answers. That surely will leave the readers with a lot of things to think about too.

I love how balanced everything; how it is laid-out for the readers. How the
Christy
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even after a few weeks of finishing this book, I still haven’t unpacked all of my thoughts about this book. But here’s a few of them:

1. I picked up A Lite Too Bright because I love Sam Miller’s words. His poetical lyrics are what brought me to Paradise Fears and kept me there. I was hopeful that this would translate into his debut novel and he 100% delivered. This book is poetic and gorgeous.
2. Part of the poetic nature of this book also makes it very literary. This is a book that you pick up
Lisa
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2018
I breezed through this amazing story. It's big - loss, connections, time, memory, mystery, love and regret. I loved the progression and how information is parsed out over time. Plus, I love when books analyze other books - it's so meta and genius (if it's done well, which it is here).

Bonus: it's a traveling/journey story, which I have a big heart for.
Lindsey
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5. This book is a wildly ambitious, beautifully literary, and refreshingly original story for YA lit. Arthur’s journey to better understand family, faith, and mortality is bittersweet in that way that makes you feel like you both lost and gained something truly special by the end.

Arthur’s narration feels so old-soul, and paired with the frequent disconnect between his thoughts and his ability to express himself eloquently makes him a super sympathetic and relatable character to me (and I
Cyn | READ?
Arthur follows the clues his late grandfather left behind to discover what happened in his final days.

----
4 stars. I loved a lot about this book. I loved Arthur and his family (although I was frustrated with his father). I loved the mental illness rep. I loved Arthur's journey on the train. I loved the journal entries. However, I did find myself bored at times.

This book deals with Alzheimer's, as one of the main themes. Can I just say, that my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about a
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
*An ARC was provided by Edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

“Would you rather live with miserable truth, or blissful ignorance?”

Actual rating: 4.5

There are so many things to say about this book. I don't even know where to start.

I guess I will start with the statement that is almost impossible to say much about this book without spoilers. Why is that? Because this book is a chameleon: every time I labeled it as something, (like a dead relative mystery, or a contemporary
Amy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
v pretentious but kinda interesting but also kinda weird. idk. 3 stars.
Lindsay Bilgram
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars. Poignant, emotional, beautiful written, Sam Miller’s debut novel, A Lite Too Bright is a strange little book that unravels in unexpected ways and is perfect for fans of John Green. It follows Arthur Louis Pullman the Third as he travels on a cross-country train ride trying to piece together clues left behind by his deceased grandfather—a Salinger/Kerouac literary icon—during the last week of his life.
Carlos
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story mixed in with some good historical background, you get to experience everything through the eyes of the characters and the story hooks you with the clues the mc finds and the quest he embarks on , all while keeping an air of mystery regarding his mental health making you the reader what is real and what it is imagined.
Kristen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I struggled rating this book. I LOVED the writing and the concept. I enjoyed the family dynamics and teenage angst. I was obsessed with the journey narrative. My only issue was just the coincidence of it all. It seemed any time the protagonist needed something, it was there! I get that most, if not all of these moments, were intentional, but at times it was bordering on unbelievable. But even with all that, this book was a quick read that had me excited to read each section. It's split up
aleks
Jun 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
A book about TRAINS? egjgjthttghut my love for trains is unhealthy I want this
Natalie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very interesting storyline, but the language was so horrible I quit caring what the story was about and didn't finish. The language was so bad, it was distracting. Don't bother to read if foul language bothers you as much as it bugs me.
Rachel
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is an absolutely beautiful novel. i loved every moment of reading this! it's a completely unique and refreshing story that is so wonderfully written. highly recommend!
Rebecca
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed. The plot of this book had lots of promise and I was very excited to read it, but man, did it let me down. To me, the author tried way too hard to put danger and mystery into a story that clearly didn’t need it. There were so many plot holes and things that, to me, were important seemed to be a fleeting thought. Really sad.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was good but there were big sections that were slow and dragging, which made the story feel five miles longer than it should have been. The ending is what really shook me but the rest left me wondering what was going on.

-------------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This story was one I had not heard a lot about before I borrowed from my library. The blurb sounded promising, a coming of age story with some twists and
Hannnah
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for characters going on physical journeys while at the same time through emotional journeys ...more
Mina Cole
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sam Miller's writing is as beautiful as ever!
Max Ritter
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book begins as a pretty typical mystery-adventure book about a troubled young man with a healthy amount of love-interest women. But it progresses into an insane story of a marxist, anarcho-communist cult conspiracy and an exploration of modern radicalism. Didn't expect that one.

It's really good. Last time I plowed through a book this quickly was, I think 4 months ago? It was about 36 hours. The beginning was a little slow and there were some red flags, especially surrounding the
Kitkat
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
sara
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5!
So, I was browsing at a bookstore and I came across this book. I decided to pick it up and read the blurb, the plot sounded interesting and different to me and something that I really wanted to read about. Weeks later, I found this book in my library and decided to check it out.

I wanted to first say Samuel Miller is a genius and I really enjoyed this book. One of my favorites for sure, I might have to get myself a personal copy. It was his debut novel and wow! It just blew me away at how
Jordan Beamer
3 out of 5 stars.

This book had a promising premise. I picked it up on a whim (which I never do at Barnes and Noble) because it seemed very intriguing. There were a few major elements, however, that kept me from giving it a higher rating.

The first is the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. As someone who has lost a family member to Alzheimer's, I know what a horrible disease and death it is, and I was expecting the disease to be handled with a little more care. Famous stories, such as The
Mark
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Lite Too Bright by Samuel Miller 3.75/5 Contemporary YA

A Lite Too Bright is a coming of age story with some unique elements. The main character is the grandson of a famous writer who wrote a seminal novel in the seventies, think J.D. Salinger. This is the story of Arthur’s journey to discover what his granddad had done during his last week of life. His grandfather was suffering from severe Alzheimer’s and took off without a word from his house in California and a week later he died in Ohio.
Lexi
I actually passed this book while at Barnes and Noble one day. I hadn't even read what it's about but was immediately obsessed with the cover. I mean, look at it. It's gorgeous. I then picked up the hardback copy and realized that it has deckled edges. I decided right then and there that I needed to read it.

I am so happy that I decided to read this book. It is one of my new favorite books. It was such an emotional roller coaster ride yet left me feeling satisfied when it was all over.

**SPOILERS
Diana Long
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and find it incredible that someone so young could have written it. I was immediately drawn into the story and had a difficult time putting it down. I also found myself re-reading passages because the words were so beautiful and thought-provoking. I wish I had read it via Kindle so I could have highlighted those passages. My daughter would not have been happy if I highlighted her copy! Author Sam Miller is also a super nice guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a signing ...more
Jamie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this five stars, not because it's perfect but because it has the most ambition of any book I've read in quite a while. This is like the love child of MOSQUITOLAND and a Pynchon novel. And while it's no CRYING OF LOT 49 it's got so much going for it that I can't help but give it the highest of marks. It is a bit long and oblique at times but I'll give Samuel Miller this: I read more YA books than anyone I know, and I can always see the story from a mile away, and even a hundred pages ...more
Debra Wisinger
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars for me! This is an easy read with several unexpected twists and turns. It involves a grandson trying to unravel mysteries surrounding his grandfathers life and death. The story takes you back to the protests and unrest of the ‘70s with an ending I didn’t see coming ! The grandson uncovers the puzzle and haunts of his grandfather’s life while simultaneously dealing with his own demons. I enjoyed it!
Kelsey
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I considered DNFing this but I stuck it out, do I regret it?

It took me SIX months to get through this. This is the most painful it has ever been for me to get through a book and it was 460 pages long!

This book was all over the place and hallucinations in books make me crazy. This main character was awful and I didn’t feel an ounce of sympathy for him. I should really dnf more books, because I can’t get back the time I wasted on some books, especially this one.
Mindy
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one!! Great characters, engaging plot, poetry... at one point the story started to sound a bit outlandish, but I'm glad I pushed through because it refocused and explained the more fantastical parts. This is even a great read for those looking for a young adult novel with a bit more grown up in it.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
*I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could*

I was really excited to try this book because a lot of people have been talking about it, and it seemed like just the type of story I needed. It has an adventure in the form of a cross-country train trip, a famous grandpa, for fans of The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Catcher in the Rye (I actually hated the catcher in the rye), but it seemed like a really good book.

But of course I was disappointed. I was confused a lot during this story because Arthur
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Monday's Not Coming
  • Rabbit & Robot
  • The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
  • Heretics Anonymous
Samuel Miller was born and raised in Vermillion, South Dakota, and now resides in Los Angeles, where, in addition to writing, he directs music videos and coaches Little League Baseball. He began writing his first novel while on tour in a fifteen-passenger van with the rock band Paradise Fears. A Lite Too Bright is his debut novel. Currently he attends graduate school at the University of Southern ...more
“i am nothing but a mosaic of the people i’ve met & the things they’ve carried.” 4 likes
“some days are too familiar to understand why some days my life is a story i’ve told a thausand times & some days the story moves backwards” 2 likes